8800 GT has 128 shaders

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EnemyPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EnemyPoet
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

Just read this, it's kind of interesting that the 8800GT has 128 shaders just like the GTXhowever 16 of them have been disabled. This reminds me of what they did with the vanilla 6800's, what i'm thinking now is maybe there's a way to reenable them like with hardware masks in rivatuner and get even more performance from the card :D

gtarmanrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 gtarmanrob
Member since 2006 • 1206 Posts

Just read this, it's kind of interesting that the 8800GT has 128 shaders just like the GTXhowever 16 of them have been disabled. This reminds me of what they did with the vanilla 6800's, what i'm thinking now is maybe there's a way to reenable them like with hardware masks in rivatuner and get even more performance from the card :D

EnemyPoet

i think someone else actually looked into that. i dont think its a software thing to unlock the processors, it means doing stuff to the board itself. so unless you know how to manufacture a GPU board, i dont think its gonna happen.

yellowdatsun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yellowdatsun
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
why would they have those extra shaders?? hmm thats actually pretty interesting
Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Graedien
Member since 2002 • 786 Posts
Because making your top of the line card into a mid-range card (New GTS into new GT) means cutting a few wires.

Having your low range card have 112 and then making a whole new design for the one with 128 means hundreds of thousands in development costs.
Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
Because making your top of the line card into a mid-range card (New GTS into new GT) means cutting a few wires.

Having your low range card have 112 and then making a whole new design for the one with 128 means hundreds of thousands in development costs.
Graedien
Ah, yes, that explains it. I heard about the 16 disabled shaders but didnt know why until now. That new 8800GTS has to be better somehow. obviously they plan on unlocking those shaders for it.
PWN-Schubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 PWN-Schubie
Member since 2007 • 709 Posts
yep, its been done for a long time, its cheaper to make one type of board or chip then just modify it, just the the sempron 2500+ sempron, two differant types, some were athlon cores with the extra cache disabled and just took a simple little mod to enable it.
wklzip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wklzip
Member since 2005 • 13925 Posts
Please provide the link.
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

It does have 128 shaders, maybe more.
G80 also has 128 shaders.
Disabling shader clusters/pipelines have been done for quite awhile.
With the new way they are disabling the units, you can't unlock them.

BTW- this has nothing to do with cutting wires(unless you are over simplifying it...) nor does it have anything to do with the PCB, this is about the actual GPU silicon.

Graedien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Graedien
Member since 2002 • 786 Posts

Nvidia has stated that they laser cut the pipelines on lower-than-top-end cards.

They are still there, as people have unlocked them by re-soldering their video cards.

phan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 phan1
Member since 2004 • 125 Posts
Do these disabled SPs cost less to produce at all? If not, then why do it? No sense in saturating the market with different cards if you can just put out one great product...
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fignewton50
Member since 2003 • 3748 Posts

Do these disabled SPs cost less to produce at all? If not, then why do it? No sense in saturating the market with different cards if you can just put out one great product...phan1

No, they probably cost more for that extra step of disabling a few items.

They do it so they can offer a wide range of products @ different prices. They'll make a lot more money and appeal to a lot more people by having many different cards at different performance and prices levels.

They'll always be someone who only wants to spend $100 (8500GT) and someone who wants to spend thousands (2x 8800Ultras). They want to have something to sell to both people.

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WuTangG
Member since 2007 • 2189 Posts

[QUOTE="phan1"]Do these disabled SPs cost less to produce at all? If not, then why do it? No sense in saturating the market with different cards if you can just put out one great product...Fignewton50

They do it so they can offer a wide range of products and different prices. They'll make a lot more money and appeal to a lot more people by having many different cards at different performance and prices levels.

They'll always be someone who only wants to spend $100 (8500GT) and someone who wants to spend thousands (2x 8800Ultras). They want to have something to sell to both people.

But doesnt disabling them cost, and then to charge less, isnt it a loss on their behalf?
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fignewton50
[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]

[QUOTE="phan1"]Do these disabled SPs cost less to produce at all? If not, then why do it? No sense in saturating the market with different cards if you can just put out one great product...WuTangG

They do it so they can offer a wide range of products and different prices. They'll make a lot more money and appeal to a lot more people by having many different cards at different performance and prices levels.

But doesnt disabling them cost, and then to charge less, isnt it a loss on their behalf?

It's a loss compared to what they make on the GTX, because of the slightly higher manufacturing costs and higher retail price of the GTX. But I'm sure by this point it costs less than $250 to manufacture an 8800GT and GTX.

They are basically modifying a year-old graphics board. I'm sure the costs to manufacture both the GT and GTX have come down a lot since the GTX was launched a year ago, hence the reason they offer such an awesome card at half the price.

PWN-Schubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PWN-Schubie
Member since 2007 • 709 Posts

it would be marginally more expensive, and this way they can appeal to a much larger market share, if they only offerd a 8800gtx for 200, the "extreme" gamers would probably be upset that they only have a mainstream card, and likwise if they only had it for 500 bucks, the average person would not purchase them at all.

so the slight cost that it takes to cut some shadders out is easilly benifited from.

jollyriot2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jollyriot2k1
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

Shame if it's true that they genuinely are cut off on a hardware level. Would have been nice to be flashing them with the GTS bios like people did years ago with the 9500 to 9700 pro bios flash.

For those with less familiarity with the GFX market, this is rather normal to just disable features on lower end cards.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
Yeah, they used to be unlockable on the geforce 6 series, but now they cut the silicon with lasers to make them not work.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Not every produced videocard is 100% working. If a card fails quality tests, it's a lot cheaper to disable the defective parts and sell them as midrange cards than to throw them away.

That's where those cards come from. It's not like the manufacturer is puposely making more costly cards and cutting them down to sell them for cheaper. They will only do so if they have too many top-end cards in stock that can't be sold. That's why you always see top-end cards out first every new generation, followed by midrange and lower end cards several months later.

kakarotxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kakarotxiv
Member since 2003 • 3243 Posts
gt has 112 gtx has 132. new gts willl have 128
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fignewton50

Not every produced videocard is 100% working. If a card fails quality tests, it's a lot cheaper to disable the defective parts and sell them as midrange cards than to throw them away.

That's where those cards come from. It's not like the manufacturer is puposely making more costly cards and cutting them down to sell them for cheaper. They will only do so if they have too many top-end cards in stock that can't be sold. That's why you always see top-end cards out first every new generation, followed by midrange and lower end cards several months later.

Gog

Are you saying every 8800GT is a 8800GTX that failed quality tests? I find that hard to believe.

PwningStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PwningStick
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts
That's what I always heard. Instead of just throwing away a "Defective" gtx they cut pipelines and underclock it till it passes all quality tests.
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts

the "New" GTS is already out. It's called the evga 8800GTS SSC, it has 112shaders and is stillbased on G80.

It is a bitbetter than the GT at higher resolutions, and at lower resolutions, it is a bit behind.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/3173-evga-8800gts-640mb-w-112sps-ssc-edition-review.html

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordEC911
Nvidia has stated that they laser cut the pipelines on lower-than-top-end cards.

They are still there, as people have unlocked them by re-soldering their video cards.Graedien

Nvidia has never stated how they actually disable the shader clusters...
Nor has anyone EVER unlocked them... (soldering wouldn't really help anything)

Do you even know what soldering is?

Do these disabled SPs cost less to produce at all? If not, then why do it? No sense in saturating the market with different cards if you can just put out one great product...phan1

They are disabled because they are either defective or they cannot operate at the same speed as the binning they need.

Are you saying every 8800GT is a 8800GTX that failed quality tests? I find that hard to believe.Fignewton50

No. What he is saying is the ever GTS is a G80 that failed their quality/speed tests.
Don't know why that is so hard to believe, this is the way things have been done in the GPU world for quite awhile now.

Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fignewton50

[QUOTE="Fignewton50"]Are you saying every 8800GT is a 8800GTX that failed quality tests? I find that hard to believe.LordEC911

No. What he is saying is the ever GTS is a G80 that failed their quality/speed tests.
Don't know why that is so hard to believe, this is the way things have been done in the GPU world for quite awhile now.

I guess I'm surprised they have so many issues with manufacturing. I would have thought they could make a reliable product that didn't fail quality/speed tests so often that they can make whole lines of GPUs based of the failures.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LordEC911

I guess I'm surprised they have so many issues with manufacturing. I would have thought they could make a reliable product that didn't fail quality/speed tests so often that they can make whole lines of GPUs based of the failures. Fignewton50

You do realize that recent GPUs, G80/R600 are made up of about 700million transistors...