720p Through DVI but not HDMI? New Monitor please Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

I just bought a Gateway HD2200 22' widescreen monitor to replace my 17'. It's suppose to come in tomorrow and im buying hdmi and dvi-d cables today to test and see which is the better option.

Other than for my computer, this monitor is also going to be used to play my xbox 360 on. I saw it supported hdmi, component, vga, and DVI-D. I kept seeing that it had hd support and can also display at 720p. But after purchasing, I saw on another page this description

"720p HD through DVI-D connection with HDCP DCDi by Faroudja® for enhanced video processing Picture-in-Picture and Soft PIP (dynamic, adjustable and transparent)"

Why would it only display 720p on DVI and not HDMI? I don't have a real problem with DVI, other than I don't know how I would get sound while playing my xbox 360. If you are saying to yourself "Xbox 360 doesn't support DVI", I was pretty sure I could use a HDMI to DVI-D cable.

http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/1541322R.php?seg=hm
cody451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cody451
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I use my LG 19 wide-screen for my PC,PS3 and my 360. Go to Walmart and pickup a HDMI to DVI cable for the picture and use the analog sound cable to get sound to your speakers. In my case I have to run in stereo rather than 5.1 with my Logitec 5300E 5.1 system. You will also need a female RCA to female mini jack cable to get the sound to the speakers. I hope this helps. By the way, the 360 outputs in resolution rather than format to the DVI input on your monitor as where the PS3 outputs to format. Good luck, Joe:)
xboxkid2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xboxkid2008
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I use my LG 19 wide-screen for my PC,PS3 and my 360. Go to Walmart and pickup a for the picture and use the analog sound cable to get sound to your speakers. In my case I have to run in stereo rather than 5.1 with my Logitec 5300E 5.1 system. You will also need a to get the sound to the speakers. I hope this helps. By the way, the 360 outputs in resolution rather than format to the DVI input on your monitor as where the PS3 outputs to format. Good luck, Joe:)cody451

I think I have the same monitar as you, does yours say flatron L192WS. Can you send a link, company and model number of your HDMI to DVI cable and your female RCA to female mini jack cable.

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
You're going to want to set the 360 to 1680 x 1050, not 720p, because that is the monitor's native resolution. I'm fairly sure the 360 (with the NXE update) supports that resolution through the VGA cable. I'm not sure about through the HDMI cable though.
MeStinkBAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MeStinkBAD
Member since 2002 • 70 Posts

You're going to want to set the 360 to 1680 x 1050, not 720p, because that is the monitor's native resolution. I'm fairly sure the 360 (with the NXE update) supports that resolution through the VGA cable. I'm not sure about through the HDMI cable though.Bane_v2

No the 360 does not. And if it's a TV 1280x720 is fine. Though a little cropped for computer work.

PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

[QUOTE="Bane_v2"]You're going to want to set the 360 to 1680 x 1050, not 720p, because that is the monitor's native resolution. I'm fairly sure the 360 (with the NXE update) supports that resolution through the VGA cable. I'm not sure about through the HDMI cable though.MeStinkBAD

No the 360 does not. And if it's a TV 1280x720 is fine. Though a little cropped for computer work.

Uhh... yes it does support 1680x1050 through the VGA cable. NXE added that support.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I just bought a Gateway HD2200 22' widescreen monitor to replace my 17'. It's suppose to come in tomorrow and im buying hdmi and dvi-d cables today to test and see which is the better option.

Other than for my computer, this monitor is also going to be used to play my xbox 360 on. I saw it supported hdmi, component, vga, and DVI-D. I kept seeing that it had hd support and can also display at 720p. But after purchasing, I saw on another page this description

"720p HD through DVI-D connection with HDCP DCDi by Faroudja® for enhanced video processing Picture-in-Picture and Soft PIP (dynamic, adjustable and transparent)"

Why would it only display 720p on DVI and not HDMI? I don't have a real problem with DVI, other than I don't know how I would get sound while playing my xbox 360. If you are saying to yourself "Xbox 360 doesn't support DVI", I was pretty sure I could use a HDMI to DVI-D cable.

http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/1541322R.php?seg=hm
Meat_Wad_Fan

Not supporting HD through HDMI wouldn't make a whole lotta sense. It has to be able to support 720p and higher. Use an HDMI cable or VGA and set it to the monitor's native res because the NXE added support for LCD monitor resolutions.