• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Has anyone here tried/and or currently own a 4K gaming PC setup? I'd like to know what your opinions are about the resolution, is the difference massive compared to 1080p?

I'm thinking my next gaming PC will be designed for 4K. I reckon 1080p is wasted potential for a high-end gaming PC, especially when you consider the PS4 runs most games at 1080p now too (Yeah sure it's not 60fps and Ultra settings but you know what I mean).

I was looking online and It seems a few companies are bringing out affordable 4K monitors like this Samsung U28D590D which is a decent 28 inch and going for $749AU.

I know prices will come down over time for 4K TV's/Monitors but for anyone that can't wait, I reckon it's a great time to go for a 4K setup if you have the money of course.

So back to my question, has anyone here experienced the 4K difference in real life? How amazing is the picture quality compared to 1080p, would you say it's worth the price tag?

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

pointless and a waste of money.... all of it.

1080p on screen sizes of 24"-27" is perfectly fine. images are crisp and you dont have to spend 3 grand on a PC to get 60fps....

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I think 4K is not really need just yet. I'm still loving my 1440 screen.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BattleSpectre

@klunt_bumskrint: Yeah I reckon 1440p would be a nice upgrade too. Like I said I reckon for a high-end gaming PC, if you're running a GTX 780 Ti or the like 1080p is wasted potential. Since consoles are managing this resolution now, I reckon 1440p and beyond would be the sweet spot for a monitor.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I don't see any reason to buy a 27' 4k monitor, that resolution should be on 50+ TVs, it's like owning a smartphone with 1080p, except for heavy battery use there's no point to it as you won't notice difference until you move the phone close to your face.

What's next? a 4k smartphone?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I've been using 21:9 aspect ratio monitor for 8-9 months now and I can honestly say that resolution is no longer a turn on for me.

Next monitor I get will either be a IPS 144Hz montior or a 21:9 monitor that is bigger than 29 inches. Simple as.

Basically refresh rate and or wide aspect ratio... as a gamer those are my primary features I look for and I wont go with anything less than a IPS.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@predatorrules: yes that is needed.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre

Lol don't they already have 4K smartphones?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
@horgen said:

Explain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I thought about getting the AOC one, it's the same as the Samsung but with a better stand and longer warranty.

You only need 290p crossfire to run games with high settings on 4k.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BattleSpectre

I was just looking online again and another downside I found to some of these "affordable" 4K monitors is they only have a 30Hz refresh rate. As we know that's bad for gaming, so until we get 4K @ 60Hz with an affordable price tag there's really no point.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:

I was just looking online again and another downside I found to some of these "affordable" 4K monitors is they only have a 30Hz refresh rate. As we know that's bad for gaming, so until we get 4K @ 60Hz with an affordable price tag there's really no point.

There's no point for them at all, as you see 30Hz refresh rate and they meant for bigger screens - means it's only good for console gaming, if they have enough horsepower for that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

^There are affordable 4k monitors with a 60Hz refresh rate.

There's an ASUS, Samsung and AOC.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BattleSpectre
@Postmortem123 said:

What size though? 28" would be the lowest I'd go.

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

There's no point for them at all, as you see 30Hz refresh rate and they meant for bigger screens - means it's only good for console gaming, if they have enough horsepower for that.

How can you say that though? I'm not doubting you or anything, but I personally sit very close to my 24" 1080p monitor so why wouldn't 4K be worth it on a 28 inch or bigger sized screen?

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I'm honestly happy with 1080p and my games look amazing on that resolution.

Why the rush for 4K? I have a concern about the UI and HUD at 4K though. Would it make them unreadable due to small size?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@BattleSpectre said:

Yeah they're all 28"

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Postmortem123 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Yeah they're all 28"

You know this was coming, but could you please link or even tell me the exact model of these monitors? Thank you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@BattleSpectre said:

@Postmortem123 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Yeah they're all 28"

You know this was coming, but could you please link or even tell me the exact model of these monitors? Thank you.

Samsung U28D590

AOC U2868PQU

Asus PB287

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BattleSpectre

If only I lived in the States, I found this 39" 4K Ultra HD 120Hz TV for only $499 with free shipping. A lot of people have been using it as a PC monitor and although it's limited to 4K @ 30Hz, for that price I'd just use It in 1440p which it does at 60Hz for gaming, oh man 39 inch would be so fucking boss as a monitor. Wish they brought it to Australia.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GeryGo  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:
@Postmortem123 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BattleSpectre said:

How can you say that though? I'm not doubting you or anything, but I personally sit very close to my 24" 1080p monitor so why wouldn't 4K be worth it on a 28 inch or bigger sized screen?

Bigger sized yes, like I've said 50' and above, not less.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BattleSpectre

@PredatorRules: So you're saying 4K will never be worth it for PC gaming? Come on man we're never going to get a 50" monitor so...

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

Dell has a 24" 4k monitor.

the biggest problem is that UI scaling is horrible. so even if you managed to run games at ultra at that resolution, windows and every windows application would still look like overblown garbage. a lot of game UIs would suffer too.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@PredatorRules: So you're saying 4K will never be worth it for PC gaming? Come on man we're never going to get a 50" monitor so...

Yes he is saying that and i happen to agree with him. For the amount of money you spend you get a very little increase in picture quality especially on small screen sizes.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Nick3306 said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Yes he is saying that and i happen to agree with him. For the amount of money you spend you get a very little increase in picture quality especially on small screen sizes.

Well damn, I guess there is always 1440p for half the price hehehehehehe.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

If you're ready to dish out that kind of money for a monitor go for it. I still believe we are several years away before making that transition. 1440 should be the next logical step for most.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

waiting for 1440p gsync

I am too (Asus) but now I am tempted to keep waiting because the DP1.3 just got announced.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BattleSpectre
@daious said:

@Motokid6 said:

waiting for 1440p gsync

I am too (Asus) but now I am tempted to keep waiting because the DP1.3 just got announced.

Only problem with that Asus G-Sync monitor is it's a TN panel not IPS, dat colour difference mang - but I guess you can't have everything. Also in Australia it's going to cost around $1000, so taking that into account I'd rather go for the Asus PB278Q 1440p monitor which is half the price, and has blown everyone away that's reviewed it with it's awesome performance.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

1080p gaming has become incredibly easy and boring, it really has become a resolution for the poor and mediocre. Thats why more and more people are moving towards 1440p. we are not ready for 4k yet, unless you have money for 295x2.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#30 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I came across a samsung 28 inch 4k monitor the other day... I was wondering the same thing also - is 28 inches too small for 4k? I have a 27 inch 1440p screen and that seems just about right... at 1440p i have more space to have windows open then over my 1080p, but its not overkill.

4k 50"+ maybe makes sense, but only if your sitting pretty close to it, and you wouldn't sit close to a big screen anyways. It almost seems they should have maybe gone middle range and put out 1440p hd tvs instead, 4k seems like a big jump, and 4k blu-rays don't have the storage space to properly contain a high enough bitrate for a 4k video. A new optical storage format is needed first to properly view 4k movies.

So i really think 1440p is a more logical choice for pc monitors at least until reasonable priced graphics cards can handle 4k without a problem.

If your doing lots of multitasking like video/3d editing or image editing or lots of spreadsheets, and need extra window space, your better off using multiple monitors rather then having tiny little windows all in one screen that you have to squint at to see... but then this comes around again to whether or not using a large sized 50-60 inch 4k tv as a pc monitor would make sense to people.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Too much hardware required for that res....1440 is fine by me.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

I have a 4k monitor at work we use for different photo editing tasks and hooked my pc into it to see.

There really is a difference in quality when you see it yourself even if it's a 28in. But it takes a pretty beast video card setup too get any sort of decent FPS running at that reso.

I'm running a 290x and was averaging between 32-42 FPS on most games. Which isin't really terrible but when you're used to 55-60 it is a bit irritating.

Another thing to note is that there is a lot of software that is not optimized for that resolution and I had a hard time reading or using certain programs.

I probably won't be buying one until I can get much more stable frames then that. Until then I'll just stick with 1440p.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BattleSpectre

@Prexxus said:

I have a 4k monitor at work we use for different photo editing tasks and hooked my pc into it to see.

There really is a difference in quality when you see it yourself even if it's a 28in. But it takes a pretty beast video card setup too get any sort of decent FPS running at that reso.

I'm running a 290x and was averaging between 32-42 FPS on most games. Which isin't really terrible but when you're used to 55-60 it is a bit irritating.

Another thing to note is that there is a lot of software that is not optimized for that resolution and I had a hard time reading or using certain programs.

I probably won't be buying one until I can get much more stable frames then that. Until then I'll just stick with 1440p.

Finally someone that has actually experienced it first hand. Good to know the difference is noticeable but how much better is it than 1440p would you say? Is the extra price tag worth it for 4K compared to your 1440p monitor. .

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Prexxus

@BattleSpectre said:

@Prexxus said:

Finally someone that has actually experienced it first hand. Good to know the difference is noticeable but how much better is it than 1440p would you say? Is the extra price tag worth it for 4K compared to your 1440p monitor. .

You can find some pretty good 4k monitors at a good price nowadays. I think I payed about the same price for my 1440p and the 4k we have at work. About 700$ give or take. But remember the strain it will put on your rig even a high end rig.

We'll never get a leap in graphics like we did when we moved to HD. But that's no reason to top there. If you can tell the difference between 1080 and 1440 you'll see the difference between a 1440 and a 4k maybe even more so.

If you got a 295x2 then I'd say go right ahead :P Just be ready for some annoying UI issues in some software.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BattleSpectre
@Prexxus said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@Prexxus said:

You can find some pretty good 4k monitors at a good price nowadays. I think I payed about the same price for my 1440p and the 4k we have at work. About 700$ give or take. But remember the strain it will put on your rig even a high end rig.

We'll never get a leap in graphics like we did when we moved to HD. But that's no reason to top there. If you can tell the difference between 1080 and 1440 you'll see the difference between a 1440 and a 4k maybe even more so.

If you got a 295x2 then I'd say go right ahead :P Just be ready for some annoying UI issues in some software.

Unfortunately for me I've only got to experience 1080p, I'm currently using a BenQ G2420HD monitor. It's alright but nothing special, since you've tried both 1440p and 4K I wanted to know how big you thought the difference was, and whether or not it's worth spending the money to be 4K ready? (at least 2 GTX 780's etc.)

I guess with a 4K monitor though, you could always run it at 1440p and have 4K there ready for when you can run it/ and or when they sort out the UI issues (downside right now for me is these 4K panels are TN, and not IPS panels which I wish they were). Since the price is very similar between the two it makes it a hard decision.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Prexxus

They are TN but damn good ones too be sure. And is it worth getting 4k ready right now? I don't think so honestly. It's so expensive just to get there and even though it is beautiful to play at that reso, for me the price does not match up. Right now it's just a little too steep but in a year from now I'd say we'll probably be there.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BattleSpectre

@Prexxus said:

They are TN but damn good ones too be sure. And is it worth getting 4k ready right now? I don't think so honestly. It's so expensive just to get there and even though it is beautiful to play at that reso, for me the price does not match up. Right now it's just a little too steep but in a year from now I'd say we'll probably be there.

Thanks again, and I really hope by next year some affordable 39" monitors are released, that'd be sexy.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Would we even be able to tell the difference?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BattleSpectre

@blangenakker: Well if people can tell the difference from 1080p to 1440p why wouldn't we be able to tell the difference at 4K? That's how I see it anyway, I could be wrong with that analogy though.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horgen  Moderator

@PredatorRules said:
@horgen said:

Explain.

Thought it was obvious. More pixels = better experience.

Imagine how much more content you can have on-screen if you have a cellphone with a 4K display. Of course you had to be dragging a microscope along with you, but that isn't much of an inconvenience, is it? The same goes for PC... Though we really need 32K monitors or so to match the 4K of a 4.5-5.5' cellphone screen.

Honestly if it isn't clear now. I am not serious here. 4K on anything less than 32' is probably a waste of resources with only small gains in visuals

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@blangenakker: Well if people can tell the difference from 1080p to 1440p why wouldn't we be able to tell the difference at 4K? That's how I see it anyway, I could be wrong with that analogy though.

you can see the difference I have a monitor that supports 2500 x 1600 (or something like it) and you can really see the difference, when I play oblivion it looks like another game.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GeryGo  Moderator

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules said:
@horgen said:

Explain.

Thought it was obvious. More pixels = better experience.

Imagine how much more content you can have on-screen if you have a cellphone with a 4K display. Of course you had to be dragging a microscope along with you, but that isn't much of an inconvenience, is it? The same goes for PC... Though we really need 32K monitors or so to match the 4K of a 4.5-5.5' cellphone screen.

Honestly if it isn't clear now. I am not serious here. 4K on anything less than 32' is probably a waste of resources with only small gains in visuals

LOL you had to put that spoiler XD

I used to use sarcasm all the time, but then my friends hated me :D

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 horgen  Moderator

@PredatorRules: Yup, thought it would be safest that way :P

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@cyloninside said:

1080p on screen sizes of 24"-27" is perfectly fine. images are crisp and you dont have to spend 3 grand on a PC to get 60fps....

They probably said that about 1080p back in 720p days.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thereal25

My opinion is that trying to have 4k right now would be too expensive.

It's hard enough getting top performance on 1080p.

Just wait a few more years.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@thereal25 said:

@cyloninside said:

What days? I can't remember them... And I know PC computers had higher res monitors back in the day... As in 1600*1200... 4:3 monitors were more common.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

so, heres a thought..

Why not Downsample instead of forking over the $$$ for 4K?

Myself, like grey elf, have a 21:9 monitor. Its great. Wouldnt go back to 16:9. Lately I set up a custom res for some games, 3840 x 1620. Nice a sharp IQ. But, be aware for UI problems as mentioned earlier. EG: Kingdoms of amalur's quest screen is bugged on any res greater then 1080 vertical it would seem. (doesnt even show, its blank, you can here the selection change via sound as you move through the choices.)

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thereal25

@horgen said:

@thereal25 said:

@cyloninside said:

What days? I can't remember them... And I know PC computers had higher res monitors back in the day... As in 1600*1200... 4:3 monitors were more common.

Well, I just vaguely remember something about people saying that hd wasn't really necessary and barely made any perceptible difference compared to "standard" definition.

Although, admittedly, that was probably more about tvs rather than pc screens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

lol 28" 4K. useless. maybe if you get a 40" and use it fairly close.

2560 x 1440 is good for 27-28". good quality monitor at even that resolution costs shitloads though. 28" 4K under $800 must be ultra-shit quality.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BattleSpectre

@groowagon said:

lol 28" 4K. useless. maybe if you get a 40" and use it fairly close.

2560 x 1440 is good for 27-28". good quality monitor at even that resolution costs shitloads though. 28" 4K under $800 must be ultra-shit quality.

Samsung's U28D590D 4K monitor costs $749AU and is anything but shit. Here's LinusTechTips review on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5YXWqhL9ik