17 Games Already Utilise Hexa-Core (6 Core) CPU's...Apparently!

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

I love my computer for this reason, go AMD!!! making hexacores for the mass market when on the other side intel makes it a "if you have $1k to spend on a cpu club"

Stratacoustix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Stratacoustix
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

44fps isn't enough?

UltimateGamer95

i wanted 60fps :) but i was more talking about the 3.5ghz quad core ended up being a bottleneck in that game.

na it had to have been your video card :P. You baked it right? Now it's angry and wants to steal all your frames from you :lol:

Nothing against Lost Planet but I wouldn't use it or any console game as an example for system effeciency. I have nothing against console games (loving Batman AA right now) but you never know what kind of backend junk they have going on bogging the game down. I'm on an older yet modest Phenom III 720 BE with the 4th core unlocked, HD 3870 CF and 4 gb of ram and I can't get Force Unleashed to stay stable past the cutscenes.

Stick with games with known engines like Left 4 Dead 2 or World in Conflict or something

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Odd - BFBC2 and DAO in particular showed a nearly 100% gain going dual to quad IIRC, but they only got a 5-10% difference going quad to hex?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Odd - BFBC2 and DAO in particular showed a nearly 100% gain going dual to quad IIRC, but they only got a 5-10% difference going quad to hex?Makari

Probably because the 2 extra cores were being used for system processes. The game was actually only using 4 of the 6 cores, but that leave 2 free cores to handle all of the background processes/OS. That's my guess. That's why I find these results to be very deceptive.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="Makari"]Odd - BFBC2 and DAO in particular showed a nearly 100% gain going dual to quad IIRC, but they only got a 5-10% difference going quad to hex?hartsickdiscipl

Probably because the 2 extra cores were being used for system processes. The game was actually only using 4 of the 6 cores, but that leave 2 free cores to handle all of the background processes/OS. That's my guess. That's why I find these results to be very deceptive.

I guess I had expected multicore optimizations to be more.. I can't think of the word, but sort of binary. Either it's there or it isn't, and once it IS there, it would be pretty simple for it to continue showing improvements with more cores as long as there's still more CPU overhead to be handed out (in their case, the giant boost from going 2 to 4 implying that it really liked more cores :D). It's just odd, yeah.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="Makari"]Odd - BFBC2 and DAO in particular showed a nearly 100% gain going dual to quad IIRC, but they only got a 5-10% difference going quad to hex?Makari

I guess I had expected multicore optimizations to be more.. I can't think of the word, but sort of binary. Either it's there or it isn't, and once it IS there, it would be pretty simple for it to continue showing improvements with more cores as long as there's still more CPU overhead to be handed out (in their case, the giant boost from going 2 to 4 implying that it really liked more cores :D). It's just odd, yeah.

My understanding is that you can write a game for a single core, for 2, for 4, or for 4+. This may or may not be correct, but it would explain some of these results. I don't know that since a game can utilize 4 cores that it must automatically be able to use 6 or 8, etc..