Brakkyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 Brakkyn
Member since 2011 • 615 Posts

I had some good luck asking a question about my PC here a couple months ago, but unfortunately I'm back for round two.

I purchased a new PC from Dell ( http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop/ddcwrdsk920s/ but mine has a Ryzen 3 instead of the A10) to replace my HP that had it's PCI-E motherboard slot go bad on it. The HP was 5 going on 6 years old so I felt a new purchased was a good idea. I got a good deal on it, and it seems capable of suiting my needs.

After a brief setup period I moved my 4 TB drive from the HP to the new Dell. No problems. Then I tried to move my HP's power supply--a non-standard Corsair HX 650W Professional I installed myself--from it to the new Dell. After removing the Dell's PSU and making all the connections, I tried to start the computer. Nothing happened. No sounds, no lights, no smells, no nothing.

I tried different connections, including removing some extension cables inside, but it didn't work. I removed the Corsair and put the original Dell PSU back in. It worked perfectly. I put the Corsair back in the older HP. It worked perfectly. I put the Corsair back in the Dell. It doesn't work.

After racking my brain, I am at a loss. I don't get why it doesn't work. I've tried different power cables, and yes the switch on the PSU is on and it's always plugged into the wall outlet and PSU. The Corsair PSU just doesn't jive with the new system and I cannot determine why.

I'd like to note that the Corsair does not quite fit in the case. It did in the HP case, perfectly, but in the Dell case it's just a tad too big. I don't know if it not "locking" into place has any bearing on its functionality or not. The Corsair is also about 5-6 years old, but runs fine. I need it to function so I can install my 4 GB graphics card, which requires at least a 500w PSU.

Any help you can provide is appreciated, even if it's bad news. Thanks!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Brakkyn: Moved to Hardware forum

"5-6 years old" PSU to a 4Gb GPU? no detail on the GPU, 4G could be Fury X as I know which is PSU hog.

I would recommend on buying a brand new PSU or at least removing the GPU first to see if the system will power without it.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

"5-6 years old" PSU to a 4Gb GPU? no detail on the GPU, 4G could be Fury X as I know which is PSU hog.

I would recommend on buying a brand new PSU or at least removing the GPU first to see if the system will power without it.

New PSU wont work, it needs to be a "Dell" PSU, don't ask me how they do it, but basically the MB locks itself down without a certified PSU from Dell. Its only the newer PC's that do this.

Brakkyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Brakkyn
Member since 2011 • 615 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Thank you for the reply, and sorry for the misplaced topic.

Honestly it never occurred to me that the age of the PSU could be a problem. I was in a "plug and play" mindset and was concerned more with the wattage than its age. The new graphics card I wanted to put in is an AMD Radeon RX 560 4 GB GDDR5; the card that was delivered with the system which was going to be replaced was the same, but just 2 GB, and the PSU didn't even hook up directly to it.

@GTR12 said:
@PredatorRules said:

New PSU wont work, it needs to be a "Dell" PSU, don't ask me how they do it, but basically the MB locks itself down without a certified PSU from Dell. Its only the newer PC's that do this.

Might explain why my Corsair 650W didn't quite fit. I also saw some talk about how systems upgraded to Ryzen motherboards were supposed to come with an 850W PSU instead of the standard 460W since they had twin PCI-E slots, but people ended up with 460's and not 850's. I'm going to keep looking into it.

Thank you.

johanson62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 johanson62
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Have the same problem with the same PC and same issue. Still completely not resolved but getting there. Dell offers a PSU upgrade for $230.00 for used Dell 850W PSU with only 90 days warranty. Get it on E BAY for around $70-$80. While having the 460 W in it , my PC was crashing, rebooting, screening. With the 850W all is fine.

The only question I would need to know that PSU comes with the only way to install it without modifying the case is fan down. On the bottom you have little space for airflow. It sits on the bottom of the case. If you flip it with fans up, you will not be able to secure it in a back, not one screw will fit and you will end up cutting the back cover that might void the warranty. Perhaps it is fine by Dell for PSU to sit on the bottom of the case with no space from the outside for air circulation for the fan. The power supply you want is Dells the N1WJD, it's an 850w 80 plus Bronze.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@PredatorRules said:

In the past they changed the 24pin connector to something else I think.

Honestly upgrading a dell system is probably not worth hazzle if requires switching more components. The GPU is usually easy if it can be used with the current PSU.