mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

So I think I am going to pull the trigger and get myself a VR headset. I'm looking at the HTC Vive, mostly due to the library, excellent tracking, and the fact that Valve is behind it and I am big fans of theirs (no, not just for Half-Life :P ).

Is there anything I should know before purchasing? It's a major expense, so I'd just like to hear people's endorsements, reservations, and "things they wish they knew" before getting it.

1. As for my setup, it seems like I exceed recommended specs except for GPU, where I have a Geforce 980...technically it exceeds the recommended specs, but just barely (still, should be enough).

2. As far as my play area, it will be in my bedroom. I have my desk against the wall, with about three feet of space on both sides. I think that's wide enough to place the sensors. Total playable floor space is about 6'x4' (width and depth).

3. I read that you want the two sensors placed at a diagonal, yes? So I would put one sensor on the wall to my left (next to my desk), then I would place the other one at the opposite "corner", behind me and to the right?

4. Extra cables required? How many USB ports do I need, exactly? Can I use USB 3.1 for all of them or do I need 3.1 and 3.0 (in other words, is 3.1 backwards compatible?)

5. Game recommendations? Probably start off with Elite: Dangerous and DCS World, time to get back into simulations! Getting kind of bored with regular games, I need a "project" game haha. I also bought House of the Dying Sun a while ago, which I heard is great in VR

6. Oh, and kind of random, but are there "emulators" (not sure if that's the right term) to get non-VR games to work/adapt to VR headsets? Is it worthwhile?

Thank you very much for being so helpful, both with this topic and previous ones.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Check this out...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-vr-headset/

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@BassMan said:

Hmmm thanks, Rift actually seems like a better setup given my situation. And cheaper!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@BassMan said:

Hmmm thanks, Rift actually seems like a better setup given my situation. And cheaper!

Yeah, I've had Rift since launch and later got the Touch controllers. It is a very nice package. There are also some nice exclusives from Oculus. I don't like the idea of exclusives, but they do have some good ones.