My Summer Build (Any suggestions??)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6f5bd6cc396
deactivated-5c6f5bd6cc396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c6f5bd6cc396
Member since 2014 • 43 Posts

I finally am getting myself a job this summer and I plan on spending about 1000 dollars on a new PC. This is my first higher-end gaming PC I've ever built, so I'm no expert. You can see my build so far here.

I have a few questions, regarding the PC

There are many versions of the GTX 970 Card, which one is the best to get (and why?)
Also I will be needing a monitor, 1080p and I want it to be under 150 if possible, any ideas??
I don't want to raise the price of the build any more than 100 bucks

Current Price: $1056.40

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@lordfuhnee said:

I finally am getting myself a job this summer and I plan on spending about 1000 dollars on a new PC. This is my first higher-end gaming PC I've ever built, so I'm no expert. You can see my build so far here.

There are many versions of the GTX 970 Card, which one is the best to get (and why?)

The MSI I personally own and it is a great video card.. It runs cooler than most, it isn't as long as the Gigabyte or Asus version.. And it supplies a good amount of voltage for good overclocks.. Currently I have mine at 1450 core/ 7400 memory speed.. It is rock solid and at those speeds it matches the 980 stock speeds in performance.. You honestly can't go wrong with any of those cards, pick which ever you like the look of.. The one gripe I have with the MSI 970 GTX as opposed to the other two is it doesn't have a back plate..

Also I will be needing a monitor, 1080p and I want it to be under 150 if possible, any ideas??

Just choose which ever one is the highest and most reviewed.. At that price your going to get a average TN 60hz panel.. It is by no means bad but there isn't much distinction in that market.. It is only higher up when you start getting 144 hz refresh rate screens, IP panels, gsync etc etc.. When features begin to matter.

The one thing I highly recommend is add a cheap 64 gb ssd.. Most here would recommend to install your OS on that.. I disagree. I am a firm advocate of Intel Rapid Storage technology.. Basically its a tech that is on z67 motherboards or newer in which you can turn a 64gb's of a ssd into a giant cache for a disk drive which will massively improve your boot up times and commonly used program times immensely to almost SSD speed for a fraction of the price.. The kicker? It is all automated, you do not have to worry about managing your ssd space.. The only thing you have to do is ensure that your motherboard in the bios has raid mode on.. And it is extremely simple to set up in windows.

So basically what you would do is install your OS and everything on your WD blue drive.. Open up the Intel Rapid Storage technology (make sure your raid is activated in bios) program.. And under the performance tab you would have the option to accelerate your blue drive.. Do so and your finished.. There enjoy a huge increase in load times in basically everything.

Also furthermore I am not a fan of that case.. I think there are better cases in the market place.. Like Fractal R5, the NZXT H440.. Watch Hardwarecanucks on youtube.. A great reviewer that does numerous case reviews.. Also don't be shy about MATX boards.. IMO in less you plan on going tri sli or use tons of PCIE slots for other things, MATX is better because its smaller meaning you can get a smaller case.. MATX boards now a days have all the bells and whistles of the ATX boards while giving you greater choices over what cases you can use.. I personally love cube cases, and the thermaltake V21 is a great case.. There is also the Corsair air 240 (though don't get it with the MSI because the card is too wide, but the gigabyte would fit) there is also the Fractal Node cases.. Take a look at the MSI z97m if your looking for a good matx board.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5c6f5bd6cc396

@sSubZerOo: thank you for replying! I am a first time builder, so a small case seems a bit tricky to me. I really like the style of case I have chosen, it just looks badass, but it has a lot of features that should make the build even easier. I will take a look at the cases you've recommended.

I don't really want a smaller case, size is no issue for me, but I would like a lot of room available for expansion.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@lordfuhnee: Moved to the Hardware forum. Please read the stickies

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@lordfuhnee:

Way too expensive case and PSU for a single card.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12807 Posts

@lordfuhnee said:

Nice, would get rid of the full tower case, you could pick up Corsair 450D or R series (200R, 300R, 400R, 500R), Spec RED all of them are good cases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@lordfuhnee said:

@sSubZerOo: thank you for replying! I am a first time builder, so a small case seems a bit tricky to me. I really like the style of case I have chosen, it just looks badass, but it has a lot of features that should make the build even easier. I will take a look at the cases you've recommended.

I don't really want a smaller case, size is no issue for me, but I would like a lot of room available for expansion.

The easiest case I have worked with is a cube case, the thermaletake v21... Not only do you have tons of room for expansion (it can fit the largest dual sli configs and can house a full custom water loop), it has tons of room to move around in when you can basically remove every side in the case. Cable management is cake because the psu is hidden behind the motherboard, so are the hard drives... It also has amazing cooling and ventilation... Mid tower cases and microatx cube cases are the go tos now a days for 99% of pc gamers out there... Hell I would argue that atx boards are not worth it for 99% o users with micro atx having as much features while still at least can do a dual sli or cf cnfig. The hardest part now a days imo when it comes to computer building is cable management. Cube cases and cases like the nzxt h440 make it a triviality.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

@lordfuhnee: if I was you I'd get a cheaper case, lower wattage and cheaper power supply, then get a 980 if you have enough money left over for it. That's just what I'd do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814

@Jr14 said:

@lordfuhnee: if I was you I'd get a cheaper case, lower wattage and cheaper power supply, then get a 980 if you have enough money left over for it. That's just what I'd do.

I honestly would not recommend a 980 at this time.. The price needs to lower because where it is currently at, is not worth it imo.. The 970 for instance is $150 to $200 cheaper and can be overclocked to match stock performance of a 980 when you overclock it to a 1450mhz gpu core.. Which seems pretty common with most 970s to reach it.. (though you may get unlucky).. Or you can spend $100 to $150 more than the 980 to get the 980 TI which is like 40% faster than the regular 980.. Which I would not recommend a 980ti when your only going to be playing at 1080p, 60hz..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c6f5bd6cc396

@sSubZerOo: thanks I've gotten a lot of input about the case... (I've already replaced the PSU with a 500W one)

So I do know that the case I have is a full tower case, and it is 120 bucks. I also know that it looks dope as hell and i want it lol. A lot of the cases you guys have recommended are not much cheaper. I also am aware that full tower cases are more of a luxury than anything and are usually not necessary, especially for my particular project, but I really like the case. Can someone please explain exactly why I should get a smaller one? The case is the most people see out of my computer so I want to get a cool one.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Gigabyte Gaming G1 is one of the best 970's.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12807 Posts

@lordfuhnee said:

@sSubZerOo: thanks I've gotten a lot of input about the case... (I've already replaced the PSU with a 500W one)

So I do know that the case I have is a full tower case, and it is 120 bucks. I also know that it looks dope as hell and i want it lol. A lot of the cases you guys have recommended are not much cheaper. I also am aware that full tower cases are more of a luxury than anything and are usually not necessary, especially for my particular project, but I really like the case. Can someone please explain exactly why I should get a smaller one? The case is the most people see out of my computer so I want to get a cool one.

Less room = better airflow for your 1 GPU setup.

You've picked the C70 which is kinda military themed, you could go with Antec GX700 or Antec GX900, you should check them out.