Is a Celeron Laptop Enough for Basic Functions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dujubear
Member since 2013 • 104 Posts

My gf is looking for a backup, cheap laptop. She already got a Dell i7 one for work and videos. But she wants a backup laptop in case the Dell get problems(as it did recently, but I was managed to fix it)...

I read before the Celeron is bad. How is it bad really? All she needs it for is Skype and browsing and Netflix.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

It will be alright for that, but they're not the greatest to use. Modern celerons aren't anywhere as bad as they used to be, but they're still not great.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@dujubear said:

My gf is looking for a backup, cheap laptop. She already got a Dell i7 one for work and videos. But she wants a backup laptop in case the Dell get problems(as it did recently, but I was managed to fix it)...

I read before the Celeron is bad. How is it bad really? All she needs it for is Skype and browsing and Netflix.

I would go with i3 if you want no delays and SSD as well.

Celeron would be enough if you're getting a Chrombook.

jorzorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 jorzorz
Member since 2017 • 114 Posts

its more than enough for everyday tasks. hell a 10 year pc or a low end smart phone is enough to run a web browser and Word.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dujubear
Member since 2013 • 104 Posts

Thanks guys! It wont lag on Skype/video chats right?

Just no nos are games and such?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

My youngest kid has a Lenovo Thinkpad 11e with a Celeron N3150, 8 GB RAM and a 128 GB SSD. It does okay on everyday tasks.

There are many older and lighter requirement games that should play okay on a Celeron. Even my 2010 Toshiba Atom netbook has games installed.

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8  Edited By lorddaggeroff
Member since 2008 • 2433 Posts

Not sure why she would want a celeron, as you stated she already has a device for all demanding tasks.

Well I don't know what type of person your partner is, clumsy, careless because I would suggest a large 7inch phone that's just as powerful as a i3 CPU

Your partner should by a external drive and not back up via windows.

Get one copy of puppy Linux, and a external drive? Why well if your windows did crash all your works backed that you chose in the external drive, and puppy slacko Linux can run off a 4gig usb (free( running via ram and Not the drive, giving you access to everything while acting as your temporary os that does everything (chrome OS would with out installing) and then you can reinstall your os or access the windows drive in puppy and decide on what to do with that disk. Reinstall it with key with out losing any data.

But I'm not sure why she doesn't use her phone, download the content and stream it via her phone to what ever device she wants(or use it to watch on a generic vr phone headset) there's so many ways to tackle this, it only requires exploration.

You can use localcast via hotspot to stream to your TV, console, tablet. It's on android not if also on apple store.