Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Hello all-

Was wondering what your experiences are with various internet providers in your area, and if you could help me make a choice! Any help is appreciated.

So, here is the story:

I pay about 80 dollars for AT&T in my area, just internet. I'm paying for the "25 MBPS" plan. I've been relatively happy with the service; has never been out, and when we were having a problem with it, they came out and were very helpful.

However, upon advice of my roommate, I did some research. Xfinity-Comcast has some good deals, with a package that includes a "up to 150 MBPS" rate, plus very [very] basic TV channels as a bonus for 50 dollars. I remember having Comcast in my previous living situation and I was not very happy with it, but I wasn't paying for it and it might have just been the place I was living in.

Does anyone have experience with Comcast (Xfinity)? Is the 30 dollar difference worth it to switch, or is AT&T's quality worth it?

The fastest download speed I get is 3.3 mbps, so I am not sure if getting an alleged better rate is going to even matter.

Also, sidenote: I heard that I rent my equipment from ATT and it turns out they charge me $7/mo for equipment fees; does anyone have experience setting up their own modem and router with their ATT plan to save that money? Maybe get better performance? I've had to replace the ATT setup (at no cost) twice, I'm wondering if the $7 fee is worth it just for the "insurance".

Thank you for your help!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@mrbojangles25: are you talking about ISP or infrastructure provider? because if you're talking about infrastructure provider is depends on where you live, you might have a great connection while your neighbor might not.

ISPs on same infrastructure never change I would say, if Comcast Xfinity considered a good ISP nowdays then sure get it, if not then don't.

Also about the router it depends on what model do they deliver you, in my country we've got bad, normal and great routers delivered depends on the ISPs and Infrastructure companies.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@PredatorRules: Just the ISP. Was wondering what people's experience were like with service, customer support, etc.

Guess if it varies that much from area to area it's sort of a pointless question haha.

It's just the ATT plan is 80 for a 25mbps service, and Comcast Xfinity is 50 for 100 mbps...seems too good to be true and I've got a good thing going here, but my roommates are cheap *shrug* and if Comcast is actually better well then I'd be the fool here haha.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

@PredatorRules: Just the ISP. Was wondering what people's experience were like with service, customer support, etc.

Guess if it varies that much from area to area it's sort of a pointless question haha.

It's just the ATT plan is 80 for a 25mbps service, and Comcast Xfinity is 50 for 100 mbps...seems too good to be true and I've got a good thing going here, but my roommates are cheap *shrug* and if Comcast is actually better well then I'd be the fool here haha.

Usually ISPs are the same everywhere in specific country, I mean it won't differ from you to your neighbor - if the ISP in that state/country got issues right now - you'll both suffer from them.

Unless one of you connected to DOCSIS technology or VDSL or might be even fiber and your neighbor connected to something else - those kind of connections change the type of infrastructure you're using which may differ the problems each one of you might experience.

Anyway you can always try something if it makes you a lot of problems and headache then go back to your previous setup and you might even get it for less the cost since you'll be in "new costumer" category (at least that's how it work in my country)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Is there a trial period? eg; 14 days or something.

That way, you could trial them, and if its not the same/better, then you can cancel with no fees.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I just googled the fastest internet speed available in our area and went with that. Happened to be Shaw. We pay about 90 bucks a month for 150 Mbps download speed. Looks like they’ll be offering a 300 Mbps plan soon for 10 bucks more. Will jump on that one.