99 debug led (super i/o initialization) sometimes ? Need help.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

Hello fellow PC owners, i have built a new pc almost a month ago and everything is running "fine" but i've had come across this error code twice. First happened to me about a week after the pc was built, everything was working but one day the error popped on the mobo led and the pc hanged up at the gigabyte mobo screen, I just powered off the computer pressing the power button and it turned off then i turned on and everything worked fine again, until two weeks later, today i got the 99 error again, did the same thing i powered it off and it turned back on normally.

I have searched on google and i have only found people that get the error code but cannot boot the computer at all, please help me with your wisdom.

Parts:

Mobo: Gigabyte z170x ud5

CPU: i5 6600k

GPU: GTX 980 Evga sc ACX 2.0

RAM: Crucial ballistix sport LT 16gb (2x8) 2400mhz

PSU: thermaltake Smart 750w (long story)

HDD/SSD: 1Tb Barracuda hdd, 1 kingston 120gb

Optical Drive: Pioneer Blu-ray writer

Thanks for the time you take to read my post, greetings.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127509 Posts

What are the exact information you get?

Edit: check all cables. Try booting without the sidepanels after checking every cable.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dantesergei

On the screen it says nothing, it just freezes on the normal mobo gigabyte screen were it says press delete to enter the bios etc. and on the mobo shows the code 99.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By horgen  Moderator

Since it says i/o initialisation I am going to guess something that is connected to the mobo might have a loose connection or not work properly.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dantesergei

So i disconnected all the cables and connected them back again, sorry im not confident enough for taking out the RAM or the GPU nor the processor, i just panicked. I turned the pc on and everything seems fine like usual.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 horgen  Moderator

Well if it happens again or frequently you need to test more. Hopefully it doesn't.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Look it up in a little book that came with your mobo. It should have all of debug codes.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dantesergei

Debug led 99 error code means super i/o initialization but what i have read around the web is that you have that error and your pc won't boot up or you don't have it and your pc boots up normally. In my case i have that error randomly so to say, i mean im writing from my pc right now, its working like its supposed to.

Maybe someone shared the same problem.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@insane_metalist said:

Look it up in a little book that came with your mobo. It should have all of debug codes.

His title actually give enough information. Something wrong with either a I/O connector or something connected to the mobo. Though it could be as easy a faulty wire/loose connection somewhere.

Tyrant89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Tyrant89
Member since 2016 • 1 Posts

Wanted to share the same experience and what I have learned so far. I never used to get this problem. After ading another 2 sticks of 8 g ram I started having the problem . Two theories I am teating. One is that I had to tweak my overclock to even get my ram to run at itd 2666 mhz speed. Never had to do this before when I only had 16 g of ram (all the sticks are the same) . So first theory is that something is slightly more unstable . Which ti me is fine because if I turn off and on again o have no stability issues once I boot correctly.

The other completely unrelated idea is that I read that having peripheral stuff (i.e. mouse and keyboard) not plugged directly into the mobo has caused other people to get 99 codes. Previously I have had my stuff plugged into my bad a$$ monitor (but that would be way too cinvienient right ?) .

I ll let you know if it's just the cable issue. Might make sense given that I had to unplug and replug during my ram upgrage.