Your Thoughts on College Life..

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

My experience...hard work...but i don't fit in with all the other kids that go there..so not much socializing going on..just work..and exams..not much fun..:(

Ryir554

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Ryir554
Member since 2005 • 1061 Posts

I dont have alot of work, so I love it

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
More hard than high school.....by a large margin; yet I enjoy it more. Why? Probably maturity. I also don't feel as insecure as I did in high school. One thing that does suck though......is I haven't made a single friend in college -- and I lost all of them in high school. It has been very lonely. It is okay -- better than high school.
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

high school was like college life for me. Partying and stuff like that. College life has been boring for me.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
On my own worked 30-40 hours a week partied too much no sleep perfectionist, had to get all A's much stress ...greatest time of my life
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

its nothing like american pie:cry: I feel cheated

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rawsavon

its nothing like american pie:cry: I feel cheated

kemar7856
college...you are doing it wrong :P
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xx_Hopeless_xX

YEah, funny how it's portrayed as partying and stuff in movies..but when you actually experience it's like.."Man..this...sucks..(can that be modded?)"..

synyster-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 synyster-666
Member since 2008 • 4148 Posts
I'm starting next year, but from what I can tell, it's hard work. Still, it depends on what course you're doing. Fingers crossed that Business Law isn't a *****. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
It's what you make it, and it's completely different for everyone. Some people go to college to live in the dorms, meet people, party all the time, skip class, etc. Some people go to get an education and to get a useful degree. It depends on your reason(s) for going to college. It also depends on the major(s) you're pursuing. If you're majoring in something difficult (engineering, computer science, math, science, etc.), then you'll probably find college to be harder than high school. However, if you're majoring in a more 'liberal arts' subject, then you'll probably find college to be easier than high school. When I say harder and easier, I mostly mean more work or less work. Of course, this isn't the case for everyone...I'm just generalizing. I'm still in my first semester of college. I'm living off-campus because it's cheaper and I don't see the appeal in living in a small room with one person for a whole year. I live close to campus so it makes sense. I'm majoring in Computer Science and I'm going to college to further my education because I have a thirst for knowledge and because I want to have a good job. So far, college has been kind of uneventful and stressful for me, but it's mostly because of the choices I've made.
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Despite the workload, I am having the time of my life.

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trust_nobody
Member since 2003 • 3356 Posts

Man, I went to college at 16 in Vegas and completely F-ed it up. I was young and stupid and didn't know what I had, and all I did was go out and party. I'd be on the strip every night drunk and high, selling drugs and writing graffiti...college was AWESOME for me.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rawsavon
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]It's what you make it, and it's completely different for everyone. Some people go to college to live in the dorms, meet people, party all the time, skip class, etc. Some people go to get an education and to get a useful degree. It depends on your reason(s) for going to college. It also depends on the major(s) you're pursuing. If you're majoring in something difficult (engineering, computer science, math, science, etc.), then you'll probably find college to be harder than high school. However, if you're majoring in a more 'liberal arts' subject, then you'll probably find college to be easier than high school. When I say harder and easier, I mostly mean more work or less work. Of course, this isn't the case for everyone...I'm just generalizing.

It does not have to be one or the other. Need to find a balance between social life, work, and school...all are important parts of a well rounded education IMO
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

I don't like College. I'm a Freshman so maybe it gets better? :?

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]It's what you make it, and it's completely different for everyone. Some people go to college to live in the dorms, meet people, party all the time, skip class, etc. Some people go to get an education and to get a useful degree. It depends on your reason(s) for going to college. It also depends on the major(s) you're pursuing. If you're majoring in something difficult (engineering, computer science, math, science, etc.), then you'll probably find college to be harder than high school. However, if you're majoring in a more 'liberal arts' subject, then you'll probably find college to be easier than high school. When I say harder and easier, I mostly mean more work or less work. Of course, this isn't the case for everyone...I'm just generalizing. I'm still in my first semester of college. I'm living off-campus because it's cheaper and I don't see the appeal in living in a small room with one person for a whole year. I live close to campus so it makes sense. I'm majoring in Computer Science and I'm going to college to further my education because I have a thirst for knowledge and because I want to have a good job. So far, college has been kind of uneventful and stressful for me, but it's mostly because of the choices I've made.

same for me nothing really been going on for me in college I live off campus but I always have 2 go home on weekends for various reasons so I miss alot
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

I'm generally either stressing about how much work I have to do, or doing things to forget how much work I have to do.

I imagine that if I didn't love being busy, I'd hate college life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6016f2513d412
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]It does not have to be one or the other. Need to find a balance between social life, work, and school...all are important parts of a well rounded education IMO

Well yeah, I wasn't saying that certain things always go hand in hand, or that they have to... If it came off that way, I didn't mean for it to. I'm a bit distracted at the moment, as I'm in class... :P
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rawsavon
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]It does not have to be one or the other. Need to find a balance between social life, work, and school...all are important parts of a well rounded education IMO

Well yeah, I wasn't saying that certain things always go hand in hand, or that they have to... If it came off that way, I didn't mean for it to. I'm a bit distracted at the moment, as I'm in class... :P

When I said balance cla$$ with social life this is not quite what I meant :P
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts
I loved it, but I wouldn't go back.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6016f2513d412
When I said balance cla$$ with social life this is not quite what I meant :Prawsavon
Hahaha, yeah, I shouldn't be on GS right now... :P My class is 2 1/2 hours long and I'm getting a bit restless though!
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl

Snipes_2
Your freshman year is crucial. Build up a good core of friends and then branch off from there. Make the effort to meet people through RSOs, dorm life, campus activities, etc. Once you do that, you'll have a blast. Just make sure to do some work there once in a while :P
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]When I said balance cla$$ with social life this is not quite what I meant :Pt3hrubikscube
Hahaha, yeah, I shouldn't be on GS right now... :P My class is 2 1/2 hours long and I'm getting a bit restless though!

Anything longer than 1 1/2 hours is just wrong IMO -can't pay attention that long...impossible
Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
College life is amazing, I'm enjoying mine right now..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6016f2513d412
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Anything longer than 1 1/2 hours is just wrong IMO -can't pay attention that long...impossible

Agreed! :? I even like this class and I can hardly pay attention... Thankfully it'll end in about fifteen minutes. :D
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Anything longer than 1 1/2 hours is just wrong IMO -can't pay attention that long...impossiblet3hrubikscube
Agreed! :? I even like this class and I can hardly pay attention... Thankfully it'll end in about fifteen minutes. :D

I took a class that was 2.5 hours long, but it was an honors class called "Film and contemporary society". Every week we watched a movie and discussed it. Our grade was based on our participation and insight during the discussions and a final paper at the end.

I loved honors classes...
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Anything longer than 1 1/2 hours is just wrong IMO -can't pay attention that long...impossiblet3hrubikscube

I have a 2 1/2 hour long math class..i check my watch every 5 minutes and try not to slit my wrists out of sheer boredom..:x

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

mattbbpl

Your freshman year is crucial. Build up a good core of friends and then branch off from there. Make the effort to meet people through RSOs, dorm life, campus activities, etc. Once you do that, you'll have a blast. Just make sure to do some work there once in a while :P

Actually most of my time is comprised of studying. Not really into the whole "Friendship" thing. I commute to College so, No dorm either. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6016f2513d412

I took a class that was 2.5 hours long, but it was an honors class called "Film and contemporary society". Every week we watched a movie and discussed it. Our grade was based on our participation and insight during the discussions and a final paper at the end.

I loved honors classes...mattbbpl

That wouldn't be too bad. :) I'm thinking of taking a film class next semester.

>I have a 2 1/2 hour long math class..i check my watch every 5 minutes and try not to slit my wrists out of sheer boredom..:xXx_Hopeless_xX
OMG, a 2 1/2 hour long MATH class?! I'd seriously die. My 2 1/2 hour long class is psychology, so I can just barely tolerate it because it's a subject I find interesting (plus the professor is hot :o).

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Snipes_2

I have a 2 and a Half Hour Biology Lab. It's Torture. :cry:

I also have a 2 And a Half Hour math class in addition to this one.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Actually most of my time is comprised of studying. Not really into the whole "Friendship" thing. I commute to College so, No dorm either. :P

If you can spare the time, join an RSO and participate in campus activities or something. I'm not sure what your interests are, but there's something for everyone and I highly recommend people try to branch out in college. Not just for the social aspect (although that's certainly a part of it) but because of the sheer diversity of opinions, cultures, and ideas you'll encounter in the atmosphere.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
OMG, a 2 1/2 hour long MATH class?! I'd seriously die. My 2 1/2 hour long class is psychology, so I can just barely tolerate it because it's a subject I find interesting (plus the professor is hot :o).t3hrubikscube
The only way I could take my 2 1/2 hour Calculus class was to take notes rigorously. Just write down absolutely everything you can. It keeps your mind from wandering off. It actually helped in the end because I had so many notes :P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6016f2513d412
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]OMG, a 2 1/2 hour long MATH class?! I'd seriously die. My 2 1/2 hour long class is psychology, so I can just barely tolerate it because it's a subject I find interesting (plus the professor is hot :o).cd_rom
The only way I could take my 2 1/2 hour Calculus class was to take notes rigorously. Just write down absolutely everything you can. It keeps your mind from wandering off. It actually helped in the end because I had so many notes :P.

Yeah, that's about all you can do in a class like that! I've found that I take the best notes when I'm really bored. :P
aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 aka_Static
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

I'm a junior now and have been enjoying everything I've experienced, despite the tremendous workload. Of course there's a ton of work, but I chose to go to college. I chose to further my education and pursue a career I'd actually enjoy and be interested in.I put forth effort and it will all pay off in time.

Also, being social is so much easier than high school, for there's a lack of cliques and standards.

My freshman year I realized how easy it was to settle and be extremely anti-social. If I walked into a class listening to music and never talked to anybody, I felt lonely most of the time and had very little to do in my free-time. But just talking a little here and there to random people you can relate to (through classes, professors, majors, etc.) leads to new friendship and a better well-being.

The ultimate sense of independence is a huge plus for me too.

(My opinion might also be skewed due to the fact that I like to be constantly challenged)

aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aka_Static

Snipes_2

Torture? Biology is cake.

Try a 3 hour Physic's Lab, 4 hour Organic Chemistry lab and 2.5 hour cell structure/function lab...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6016f2513d412

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

aka_Static

Try a 3 hour Physic's Lab, 4 hour Organic Chemistry lab and 2.5 hour cell structure/function lab...

FOUR HOUR organic chem lab?! I am just in shock at how horrible that sounds!!
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cd_rom
[QUOTE="cd_rom"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]OMG, a 2 1/2 hour long MATH class?! I'd seriously die. My 2 1/2 hour long class is psychology, so I can just barely tolerate it because it's a subject I find interesting (plus the professor is hot :o).t3hrubikscube

Yeah, that's about all you can do in a class like that! I've found that I take the best notes when I'm really bored. :P

I actually find that I do worse in classes that have notes you can print off the web. I would print them off the web because I'm lazy, but I stop paying attention in class probably do to the aforementioned laziness). The unfortunate thing is that teachers tend to go faster because you already have the notes, so you can't NOT print them off.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

aka_Static

I never said it was hard. It's just painful sitting there for 2 and a HAlf Hours.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Anyone else not using dorms w/ their college? I happen to live about a mile from my university :P.
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

Get to know people and get involved in something- clubs, groups, a job, anything. I didn't really do that and I still kick myself. Completely wasted my time in college cuz I did nothing. So try to force yourself to do something besides homework and don't coop yourself up in your room all the time. And pick a degree you really are going to use.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cd_rom
Anyone else not using dorms w/ their college? I happen to live about a mile from my university :P.Lethalhazard
I live at home. I lived in the dorms freshman year with two gay roommates and another roommate that would just disappear for days. There was one time that he didn't show up for two months :/. The dorms cost 3x more than my tuition, so I felt it was a waist and moved back.
aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aka_Static

[QUOTE="aka_Static"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

t3hrubikscube

FOUR HOUR organic chem lab?! I am just in shock at how horrible that sounds!!

Trust me, it's just as bad as you think it is...if not worse. It always takes the full 4 hours to complete each experiment and what we produce is scrutinously graded like none other. Unlike the other lab's I've experienced, it requires you to do much more than just complete the experiment--every detail is important and if one minor thing is over looked your product comes out terribly wrong ...then you're without a paddle.

Paired with lecture it's a b*tch of a course.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Snipes_2

Get to know people and get involved in something- clubs, groups, a job, anything. I didn't really do that and I still kick myself. Completely wasted my time in college cuz I did nothing. So try to force yourself to do something besides homework and don't coop yourself up in your room all the time. And pick a degree you really are going to use.

binpink

I'm actually Majoring in Biology. I looked at the Clubs they offer, they don't appeal to me. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself too in a few years. :P

aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 aka_Static

Anyone else not using dorms w/ their college? I happen to live about a mile from my university :P.Lethalhazard

Been renting different houses each year I've attended--all of which have been a mile or less from campus, so I ride my bike. It's pretty awesome.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

my thoughts on college are that college is for learning, not for mucking around and partying. If i found out that the $40,000 tuition I was paying was going towards a kid getting wasted every night and not going to class, there would be whooping going on. I'm not in college and I doubt I'll ever go unless it's community college. I don't have 4 years to waste on university.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Its not THAT great, I mean since I've started attending university the number of hours I study has exponentially increased :?

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts

Well beeen at the bar for a few hours, went to a strangers flat for an after party and now im here...... its great :D

binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

I'm actually Majoring in Biology. I looked at the Clubs they offer, they don't appeal to me. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself too in a few years. :P

Snipes_2

I sure hope not. :? I just look back and think of how much I didn't do. I was content being alone. Although I too didn't have a really strong interest in most of the clubs at the time, I realize now something would've been better than nothing. *Sigh* The good old days...

I'll bet you'll keep pretty busy with your major though!

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rawsavon
I never lived in the dorms either...but never missed out IMO Made most of my friends at work (worked with other college kids)

And pick a degree you really are going to use.

binpink
Best advice of the entire thread. -took me 4 times LOL
Mr_Leonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mr_Leonis
Member since 2007 • 4615 Posts
Lot of hard work is all but thats technical college for ya. Until I get into a University, hard work will be it.