You won't believe what the Bible ACTUALLY says about Marriage..............

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
Click for awesomeness :lol: So much burn to Christian nut-jobs :P Great point though. Really puts it into perspective. What do you guys think?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts

no, that's pretty much common knowledge about the incest and stuff.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
well, i don't really feel like clicking the link but i just don't believe anything the bible says in general.... the whole back and forth religion arguments on the internet are getting really old though and nobody is willing to expand their point of view so it's all just rather pointless and irritating.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#4 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
But what matters is what I say about marriage.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Just because something happens in the Bible does not mean we are to go and do likewise. Some aspects of Scripture are simply descriptive and not prescriptive.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

At least she puts it in context.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Just because something happens in the Bible does not mean we are to go and do likewise. Some aspects of Scripture are simply descriptive and not prescriptive. mindstorm
And how exactly are we supposed to differentiate between the two?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]Just because something happens in the Bible does not mean we are to go and do likewise. Some aspects of Scripture are simply descriptive and not prescriptive. junglist101

Imperative statements usually help.

In other words, if the Bible says something occurred then this does not necessitate that we do it as well. However, if the Bible says to do something then we are to do it. The difference would be the story of Abraham having a child with his servant (descriptive) in comparison to Paul telling husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church (prescriptive).

I will say too that I am oversimplifying certain aspects of this.  For example, what of all the imperative statements in the Old Testament? Are we to follow all of them?  I would say not.  Some imperatives are specific to a time, place, and people while others are more universal.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]Just because something happens in the Bible does not mean we are to go and do likewise. Some aspects of Scripture are simply descriptive and not prescriptive. mindstorm

In other words, if the Bible says something occurred then this does not necessitate that we do it as well. However, if the Bible says to do something then we are to do it. The difference would be the story of Abraham having a child with his servant (descriptive) in comparison to Paul telling husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church (prescriptive).

I will say too that I am oversimplifying certain aspects of this.  For example, what of all the imperative statements in the Old Testament? Are we to follow all of them?  I would say not.  Some imperatives are specific to a time, place, and people while others are more universal.

I think the problem comes in when we decide which things are imperative and which things are not.  God is everlasting, no beginning and no end, he does not change.  Yet it is baffling to me that a some point in time he would deem certain acts acceptable just because of the context.  

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

[QUOTE="junglist101"]And how exactly are we supposed to differentiate between the two?

junglist101

I think the problem comes in when we decide which things are imperative and which things are not.  God is everlasting, no beginning and no end, he does not change.  Yet it is baffling to me that a some point in time he would deem certain acts acceptable just because of the context.  

It's not that difficult to understand the Scripture....it's like other literature. Do you have problems reading in general?
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] Imperative statements usually help.

LJS9502_basic

It's not that difficult to understand the Scripture....it's like other literature. Do you have problems reading in general?

Oooooh good one LJ.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Pretty much all Christians know about all that stuff.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

very little of the bible is useful in this day and age, some of it is even detrimental to society.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

cain006
They just choose to ignore it? And no, most christians do not know of this. Hell few know that Eve was Adams second wife.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts
[QUOTE="cain006"]

trasherhead
They just choose to ignore it? And no, most christians do not know of this. Hell few know that Eve was Adams second wife.

That's not in the Christian bible FYI....
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#16 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

trasherhead

That's jewish foklore. And most people at my church could have named all that stuff. You ask them about a person, they would rattle off their wife, what they had done, etc.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Did I just walk into another anti religion thread?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

[QUOTE="junglist101"]And how exactly are we supposed to differentiate between the two?

junglist101

I very much agree that God does not change. However, if you take parents as an example are their not times in which the rules that children live under are different? What of the occasions that children are grounded or in trouble?

In a certain sense there are occasions when the rules prescribed to the nation of Israel are in place either because of their failing to live up to previous codes of conduct or because a ritual is in place that is designed to show something greater. Take for example the laws regarding animal sacrifice. They were in place for the purpose of showing the people their need for a greater sacrifice - Jesus. As such, this one such type of law is in place for a particular people, time, and place.

Other laws, for instance, are laws not of ritual or circumstance but are more universal. Jesus, for instance, states that the summary of the Old Testament law (especially that of moral law) can be summarized as imperatives to love God and love our neighbor. As such, those laws which directly relate to these two conditions are still to be in place.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

mindstorm

I very much agree that God does not change. However, if you take parents as an example are their not times in which the rules that children live under are different? What of the occasions that children are grounded or in trouble?

In a certain sense there are occasions when the rules prescribed to the nation of Israel are in place either because of their failing to live up to previous codes of conduct or because a ritual is in place that is designed to show something greater. Take for example the laws regarding animal sacrifice. They were in place for the purpose of showing the people their need for a greater sacrifice - Jesus. As such, this one such type of law is in place for a particular people, time, and place.

Other laws, for instance, are laws not of ritual or circumstance but are more universal. Jesus, for instance, states that the summary of the Old Testament law (especially that of moral law) can be summarized as imperatives to love God and love our neighbor. As such, those laws which directly relate to these two conditions are still to be in place.

I think the difference is the basic tenants parents have their kids live by do not change, whereas the differences in the old testament and the new testament are quite stark. It's not a matter of a later bed time or curfew...or the addition of new responsibility. 

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

mindstorm

god does not change?

where the hell does that come from because it is pretty obvious that there are major character changes between the old testament god  and  the new testament god.

what i think is you guys just believe anything  that is convenient  to believe and ignore any evidence that challenges that belief.

nothing could highlight how silly your interpretations of the bible are than "god does not change."

anyway as far as the topic goes the bible  is full of silly crap that people don't do because it is inconvenient, like marrying my sister-in-law if something happens to my brother.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
[QUOTE="trasherhead"][QUOTE="cain006"]

LJS9502_basic

Yes there is. in Genesis 1:27 God Specifically creates man and woman from Dust Genesis 1:27 New International Version (NIV) 27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. It's not until until 2:21 that Eve comes along. She is also mentioned by name in Isiah
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]Just because something happens in the Bible does not mean we are to go and do likewise. Some aspects of Scripture are simply descriptive and not prescriptive. junglist101

make hundreds of different offshots of Christianity and hope someone gets it right
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
[QUOTE="trasherhead"][QUOTE="cain006"]

LJS9502_basic

What is the bible based upon? What is it's origin? Jewis "folklore". What the difference between jewish "folklore" and the stories in the bible? Is one myth supposed to be more real then the other? The king james' bible, which is the one held high by the cultist in the US, is just written down word-of-mouth stories. They didn't even look at the "original"(more like 500th edition) scriptures. Christians ignore the stuff that they don't want to cloud their pretty blue sky.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
:lol: OT is talking about the bible as if it matters...
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="junglist101"]I think the problem comes in when we decide which things are imperative and which things are not.  God is everlasting, no beginning and no end, he does not change.  Yet it is baffling to me that a some point in time he would deem certain acts acceptable just because of the context.  

junglist101

Oooooh good one LJ.

classic passive agressive apologetics statement from LJ :P

Avatar image for deactivated-59913425220eb
deactivated-59913425220eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59913425220eb
Member since 2002 • 1772 Posts
Lol another misrepresentation of the bible by some unbeliever I assume. I'm not suprised.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
A lot of opinions here are my two cents butt sex is weird ok no hate just an opinion
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Lol another misrepresentation of the bible by some unbeliever I assume. I'm not suprised.GameGuy642003
You're not surprised by your own assumptions? That's...well...not surprising :lol:

Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
My personal opinion is that the bible has some great institution values, but its extremely flawed in some areas.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Lol another misrepresentation of the bible by some unbeliever I assume. I'm not suprised.GameGuy642003

If only believers actually read their own book, they might learn something

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#34 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
hes only 13 years old, and already started a religion thread, whos a big boy? WHOS A BIG BOY!? YES YOU ARE! YES YOU ARE!!JustSignedUp
Who's an a$$hole? WHO'S AN A$$HOLE? Yes YOU are! YES YOU ARE!!