Would you like it if Bethesda created a book/series of all cannon Elderscrolls/Fallout lore?

keltoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you like it if Bethesda created a book/series of all cannon Elderscrolls/Fallout lore? (9 votes)

Yes 33%
No 67%
Yes, and they should also include popular fan theories 0%

As I'm sure you all know the Elder scrolls and Fallout video game series have a massive amount of very detailed lore surrounding them spreading many generations of games and touching many different generations of gamers. With all of this lore it can be hard to remember it and keep it straight, and with the only sources being the games themselves or YouTube videos. With this in mind I wondered why Bethesda hadn't published an official lore series yet, and I want to get your opinion on it would you like to have it. Personally I would buy it in a heart beat I love the games and their lore and would like to have some sort of reference guide to look through every now and again to keep myself fresh on the lore of the games.

• 
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Would probably end up half-assed and/or glitched printed pages asking their fans to fix up the holes.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I like the lore enough to find the games interesting but I doubt I would read through a number of books about it. However, Oblivion's collector edition had a small booklet with lore about races, provinces, etc. which I enjoyed.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

TES was always a fun world to explore but I don't really remember the individual stories being all that great or memorable. Something something Oblivion gates, something something Dragonborn...

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts

Lore books tend to be hugely boring unless you're a nerd who's obsessed with world building. For examples I point to A World of Ice and Fire, Blizzard's Warcraft Chronicles, and the fill-up-your-bookshelf monster that is History of Middle Earth. You might as well read a history textbook, at least you'd be learning about real things.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

@lordlobster said:

Lore books tend to be hugely boring unless you're a nerd who's obsessed with world building. For examples I point to A World of Ice and Fire, Blizzard's Warcraft Chronicles, and the fill-up-your-bookshelf monster that is History of Middle Earth. You might as well read a history textbook, at least you'd be learning about real things.

While I'm a proud nerd myself, I don't entirely disagree with this statement. I don't think I know anyone who actually enjoyed reading The Silmarillion, no matter how many of my friends have it on their shelf.

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Byshop: I enjoyed the Silmarillion. Heck. I even have The Atlas of Middle Earth. ;)

It's my favorite reading material when I sit down on the throne.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts

The problem with the Silmarillion, (and it's still better than the stuff I previously mentioned) is that it's mostly about events and large groups of people as opposed to individual developed characters and it's written in the most detached impersonal way possible.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

A skyrim book would be a certain pick up from me. Incredible world I'm still learning more about.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

TBH, TES lore is so messed up I don't think they could do it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@Byshop: I enjoyed the Silmarillion. Heck. I even have The Atlas of Middle Earth. ;)

It's my favorite reading material when I sit down on the throne.

You are simultaneously disproving and proving my point. It's a "read on the toilet" book.

Loading Video...

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
@Byshop said:

You are simultaneously disproving and proving my point. It's a "read on the toilet" book.

-Byshop

C'mon. Reading on the toilet is just a subset of all my reading. I also read a lot when I'm not sitting on the throne, including my Tolkien stuff.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

C'mon. Reading on the toilet is just a subset of all my reading. I also read a lot when I'm not sitting on the throne, including my Tolkien stuff.

I just mean that books kept in the bathroom and typically "pick up for a bit and put back down" books.

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@Byshop said:

I just mean that books kept in the bathroom and typically "pick up for a bit and put back down" books.

-Byshop

Cool.

Anyway, source books for games would be fine to me. I mean, Star Wars had a lot of source books for tabletop role-playing. Probably where the inspiration for Rogue One came from.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Cool.

Anyway, source books for games would be fine to me. I mean, Star Wars had a lot of source books for tabletop role-playing. Probably where the inspiration for Rogue One came from.

I shouldn't talk smack. I was seriously looking at getting some D&D monster manual hard backs while they were on sale. I don't even really play D&D...

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

I always find reading the books more interesting than what they put into the game.

Most of the Skyrim requests are pretty meh, but there is one in particular that uses books and the idea of history revisionism to great effect. Can't actually remember the name of it (someone will), but it was a pretty cool side-quest that stood out among a sea of "meh".

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

No, I do not like books of this nature.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
@Byshop said:

I shouldn't talk smack. I was seriously looking at getting some D&D monster manual hard backs while they were on sale. I don't even really play D&D...

-Byshop

I never played much tabletop or paper/pen Star Wars RPGs either. The Star Wars source books just happened to be fun reading. ;)

If Bethesda came out with source books that covered its three Fallout games, I'd probably buy them.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#18 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Would probably end up half-assed and/or glitched printed pages asking their fans to fix up the holes.

Was going to be my answer. I'd be afraid that I'd get stuck on chapter three and have to wait for a patch.

europeisgreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 europeisgreat
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

No. What I would like is for them to bring back the pants and shirts thing from Oblivion (same with Fable 3) and not make it into one whole set like in Skyrim. Also, I want them to make better clothes, sexy clothes, more pants. When I play the Elder Scrolls, I always play as females and I want to make my character hot as possible. I want to wear pants and boots and no shirt on. Also better character creation, the characters in Skyrim were ugly as fudge. Is that too much to ask Bethesda?