Would you consider dating a person with different religious beliefs?

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I don't see how a relationship between people of two different religious beliefs can become serious without having some severe flaws. I consider religion an important issue because it permeates society, how it can very much contribute to who a person is, and, in some people's minds, it can affect what happens to them after they die. People who profess a religion but don't take it seriously probably don't take life seriously as a result. While you can say that religion is a private issue, it's important to note that intimate couples share their most private parts of their lives together. Now, you may say that not all people are alike, but they shouldn't differ on such a vital issue like religion. Religion should be something that couples share or avoid together and with their children if they decide to have any.

Being that I am nonreligious, I would not ideally want to date a religious woman because I would be reprioritizing my religious beliefs to make room for love, which can have devastating consequences to my morale and my religious beliefs. I also feel that worship is a service for the entire family to participate in and having her date me would require her to betray her religious beliefs. Now, I would open to dating a religious woman for the experience as long, but if there are flaws that show up that can't be worked out, then the relationship is through. Ideally, the person who I would date and eventually marry would be a nonreligious, nonspiritual naturalist like me. However, I'm fine with a nonreligious, nonspiritual freethinker. It's okay if she believes in God as long as she's not spiritual, religious, or mystical about it.

Now, I have considered the possibility that people can change and if my wife adopts a religion after we're married, I'm not sure if I would divorce her. I'm seriously contemplating that possibility, but I wouldn't really know unless the situation actually happened to me. I would probably love her less though even if I did stayed with her. Gosh, that sounds like a good reason to get a divorce now that I think about it.

Anyway, would you consider dating a person with religious beliefs? Why or why not? Would you marry her if it was possible you felt that such a commitment was appropriate? If you wouldn't marry a person with different religious, if your wife changed religions or adopted one, would you stay together and if you would, would you love her more, less, or the same? If you're alreay married, answer these questions as though you were actively single unless your experience with your spouse is pertinent to your answer.

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

im not reading that.

but i don't think id get on with a religious GF. i think it would lead to too many arguments and she just would not like the fact that i though her whole belief was utter nonsense. just wouldn't work.

lucky my current gf thinks its a load of **** too

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Date - yes. Marry - no. Marrying with a mindset of "love is all you need" is incredibly short-sighted.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I tried that once, it lasted a week. I am a white, repentance preach'n, Christian seminary student, and for a week I dated a bi-sexual, spiritually-curious as to all religious faiths, black girl. We got along great, but issues arise when you must head home so that you can go to church the next morning and your girlfriend wants to stay up late at a strip club. I'd perfer not having to deal with similar circumstances in the future. lol I';d much prefer being with a sweet, smart girl who loves Christ more than anything else in the world, myself included.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5a79221380856

Date - yes. Marry - no. Marrying with a mindset of "love is all you need" is incredibly short-sighted.

Oleg_Huzwog
Very well put.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts
No, I wouldn't. I have a Jewish friend that I would've considered dating if it weren't for her faith. She's a great friend though, and attending mass with her is fun.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I am a white, repentance preach'n, Christian seminary student, and for a week I dated a bi-sexual, spiritually-curious as to all religious faiths, black girl. We got along great, but issues arise when you must head home so that you can go to church the next morning and your girlfriend wants to stay up late at a strip club.mindstorm

Somebody turn this into a sitcom.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
Yea, sure..
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
No, I'm too preoccupied with the notion that anyone with different beliefs to me is an idiot. >_>
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Never. Ever. Never ever.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

AS long as she has no problem celebrating Christmas, I'd have no problem.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

I don't really care that much about religion, so it wouldn't bother me.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Yes. I'm a life-long atheist, but I'd prefer to date a lightly Christian girl (one that still wants to **** before marriage and I can convince to get an abortion).
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I am a white, repentance preach'n, Christian seminary student, and for a week I dated a bi-sexual, spiritually-curious as to all religious faiths, black girl. We got along great, but issues arise when you must head home so that you can go to church the next morning and your girlfriend wants to stay up late at a strip club.Oleg_Huzwog

Somebody turn this into a sitcom.

I can certainly think of situations that would be quite hilarious. As far as the OP, such a relationship is extremely difficult. As with my example from experience, it's extremely difficult for a relationship to work when your very goals in life are radically different. I belief life should be lived to the fullest but I define a full life as one that seeks to glorify God in all things, she defines a full life as one that is emotionally gratifying by whatever means. We both seek to gain emotional gratification but through two extremely different means. Even our definition of love was dramatically different. Her view was much more emotional and in the moment. Heck, within that short week she even told me that she was "falling in love" with me. As far as me, I define love as an act you give to another person regardless of what emotions you might feel. Yes, have the feelings and the feelings are good, but you do not base your relationship upon those words. Two people of different religions can very much have a great relationship with one another. However, it is much more difficult if you have a radically different outlook upon life. That said, I am one to believe that a truly devout Christian should not be in a romantic relationship with a nonbeliever. This experience of mine merely confirmed that idea more fully.
UltimoIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 UltimoIce
Member since 2009 • 3074 Posts

Would, and do. In fact, the lady I am currently courting is catholic, and I am a protestant that doesn't believe in organized religion. So, we just don't talk about it, mainly.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Depends on exactly how those religious beliefs influences the rest of her personality.

ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 ex-mortis
Member since 2009 • 1599 Posts

I don't even want to befriend someone who cares about something as ridiculous as that. I can have my beliefs, and you can have yours. Nothing good can come of arguing about it, and I don't really want to. If something like that is a deciding factor in whether or not you want to be with someone I don't want to have anything to do with you.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts
I'd consider dating a watermelon if I could get it to put out on the first date. :[

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5a79221380856
Yes. I'm a life-long atheist, but I'd prefer to date a lightly Christian girl (one that still wants to **** before marriage and I can convince to get an abortion).wstfld
Why would you want to date a moderate Christian?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Depends on whether or not their beliefs are that of "tolerance" and "acceptance" of other systems. I don't see the inherent issue with varying beliefs coming together, hell, Sikhism promotes men seek out women from other traditions. The major problem I think religion causes isn't from itself, but from misconceived interpretations. Too many people interpret their religion literally, taking it as a history and legal code of law, and not a mythology (parables to teach), philosophy (ideas to compel understanding) and moral guidelines (to show how virtue helps others and sin hurts others).

I don't see how anyone who takes their religion non-literally can feel "out-of-place" with someone of another tradition, or no tradition. Their beliefs are their own, and their compassion will only help them realize that they don't need to force others to see it their way, but accept that there are other ways of seeing... which, as I've found out, only makes a relationship stronger. Disagreement and reconciliation is what keeps people together.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Yeah. Why not? Not having kids, and I am not the one going to hell. (Seinfeld reference on that last part)
Avatar image for deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
deactivated-6016e81e8e30f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
Member since 2009 • 12955 Posts
As with any relationship it depends on the other person. By the prospect itself, I'd definitely be willing to try. Only major hiccup I see coming between us and a serious relationship is the children aspect, how we would raise them, etc. Also depends on how religious they are, what ideas they decide to keep or throw away, bla bla bla. Though considering I'd ideally be going out with another girl or a transsexual, I really don't have to worry about this scenario.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mindstorm
Yeah. Why not? Not having kids, and I am not the one going to hell. (Seinfeld reference on that last part)rawsavon
To continue the reference, unless you are sleeping together. :P
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Yeah. Why not? Not having kids, and I am not the one going to hell. (Seinfeld reference on that last part)mindstorm

Hooray for someone else knowing it :D
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Big_Red-
Member since 2006 • 7230 Posts
Yes to dating and yes to marrying. I don't discriminate.Hemmaroids
This. I consider myself a Christian. I wouldn't relly care what she was. Just as long she doesn't worship the devil :?.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5a79221380856
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Yeah. Why not? Not having kids, and I am not the one going to hell. (Seinfeld reference on that last part)

What religion are you?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]Yeah. Why not? Not having kids, and I am not the one going to hell. (Seinfeld reference on that last part)rawsavon

Hooray for someone else knowing it :D

One of my past roommates had all of the seasons to Seinfeld. The episodes were always playing. Always. However, that's not actually a complaint.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mindstorm
[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]Yes to dating and yes to marrying. I don't discriminate.-Big_Red-
This. I consider myself a Christian. I wouldn't relly care what she was. Just as long she doesn't worship the devil :?.

Technically speaking, according to Christian theology you are worshiping Satan even if inadvertantly if you are not worshiping God.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5a79221380856
Technically speaking, according to Christian theology you are worshiping Satan even if inadvertantly if you are not worshiping God.mindstorm
Is there a Bible verse that says that?
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Yeah. Why not? Not having kids, and I am not the one going to hell. (Seinfeld reference on that last part)Genetic_Code
What religion are you?

I am on Team Jesus
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
Stop making long, boring reads.. I wouldn't care about their religion. If we love each other, don't see why not. But if they wanted me to convert, I'd say no thanks. I don't want to become attached to someone overly religious. If we can't be together without me converting...
Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
Probably not.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Big_Red-
I'd consider dating a watermelon if I could get it to put out on the first date. :[grape_of_wrath
It could work if you're a guy, all you have to do is cut a hole in it :P. But if you're a female it could be pretty painful, and result in death :(.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"][QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]Yes to dating and yes to marrying. I don't discriminate.mindstorm

Technically speaking, according to Christian theology you are worshiping Satan even if inadvertantly if you are not worshiping God.

True. But I'm referring to a literal devil worshipper.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
I wouldn't care. As long as people don't impose their beliefs, I have no problem with religious people anyway.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I don't think I could tolerate somebody who's a jesus fanboy, especially if they tried to convert me.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Big_Red-
I don't think I could tolerate somebody who's a jesus fanboy, especially if they tried to convert me.XilePrincess
What if he's just a moderate Christian, not radical.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Sure, as long as she kept her beliefs to her self and didn't try to force them on me or our potential future children.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Hmmm. I came in here wanting to say yes, but I'm not sure. I suppose it would really depend on the particular person. I could never date someone who was extremely religious in any way. I am certainly open to the idea of having friends who are rather religious, but I don't know if I could date or marry someone who's very religious, as I am not. I consider myself an atheist these days, and I'm fairly strong in that. I guess I wouldn't really have a problem with dating someone who's lightly religious, but he'd have to be quite moderate and he wouldn't try to convert me. I'd consider it then. While religion is a very integral part to a lot of people's lives, it doesn't have to completely affect every aspect of life. I wouldn't have a problem dating someone who applied that concept but still maintained a small sense of faith. Ideally though I'd rather date someone who's agnostic or atheist or apathetic...
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Yes, and i'd marry her..

Although, we'd have to come to some sort of agreement so we're not arguing about religion and such all the time..

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Yup, as long as they were willing to tolerate my having my own beliefs.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I would. I'm not very religious, but I don't mind if others are. So long as they aren't extreme in their beliefs or anything (that can be said for a lot of things though).

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"]I'd consider dating a watermelon if I could get it to put out on the first date. :[-Big_Red-
It could work if you're a guy, all you have to do is cut a hole in it :P. But if you're a female it could be pretty painful, and result in death :(.

How in the world!?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
yeah as long as both parties are comfortable with their beliefs it can work
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

No, absolutely not.

I can only see myself marrying somebody who loves the Lord more than me. Someone who is willing to go where ever the Lord would take us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Depends on how fanatical about their beliefs they are.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#49 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Only if she's not some hardcore extremist. But marriage, definitely no.

Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

Anyone with the same beliefs as me is a grade A weirdo. So my answer is yeah.