Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7322

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/huge-hole-discovered-beneath-fast-melting-antarctic-glacier/

A hole wider than the island of Manhattan is eating away at one of Antarctica’s fastest melting glaciers.

Scientists estimate the enormous cavity—1,000 feet high and 6 miles long—previously contained about 14 billion tons of ice, all of which disappeared within the last three years.

It’s the latest bad sign for the Thwaites Glacier, which has recorded some of the most rapid melt rates out of anywhere in Antarctica. Currently thought to be pouring about 50 billion tons of ice into the ocean each year, scientists estimate Thwaites is responsible for about 4 percent of global sea-level rise all on its own.

And they’re worried it could be getting worse.

Some researchers are concerned that the giant glacier could become increasingly unstable in the coming years, eventually spiraling into a pattern of unstoppable retreat. If that were to happen, it could potentially unleash enough ice to raise global sea levels by 10 feet.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

Maybe such a rising sea level would wake people, corporations and politicians up.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

@horgen said:

Maybe such a rising sea level would wake people, corporations and politicians up.

When the time comes it will be probably be these buggers that caused it getting the boats as the titanic sinks.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:
@horgen said:

When the time comes it will be probably be these buggers that caused it getting the boats as the titanic sinks.

Getting Titanic into water after the ice is gone seems like an excellent idea. No pesky icebergs floating and ripping up the hull.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

@horgen: Ha!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

Hopefully the captain isn't Italian though.

But seriously, unless I misread the articles in OP, it said nothing about that amount of ice breaking off. Would that cause the water level to rise? Or not have any effect since it is already in the water.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

@horgen said:
@uninspiredcup said:

But seriously, unless I misread the articles in OP, it said nothing about that amount of ice breaking off. Would that cause the water level to rise? Or not have any effect since it is already in the water.

Think it says it in the second article. They won't do anything anyways, get the usual "we must bla".

I've accepted our end. We deserve it.

Maybe in X billion years whatever is left to evolve will look back and say "god those guys were stupid".

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: Yeah it does somewhat. I was just failing to read just that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

Does that mean it's potentially going to collapse all at once? If so I hope they film it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@horgen said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Think it says it in the second article. They won't do anything anyways, get the usual "we must bla".

I've accepted our end. We deserve it.

Maybe in X billion years whatever is left to evolve will look back and say "god those guys were stupid".

I doubt climate change will make humans go extinct, at least not directly.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@horgen said:

I hope not. I am looking forward to having a oceanfront home out here in New Mexico.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator

@crimsonbrute said:
@horgen said:

I hope not. I am looking forward to having a oceanfront home out here in New Mexico.

Ah, you're thinking ahead. I like that.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@crimsonbrute said:

It's been done before. Take Nevada. Most of it was ocean floor at one time because of the fossils found there. Now, it's at 4000 ft above sea level.