Woman found dead in elevator 30 days after power cut.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Woman found dead in elevator 30 days after power cut off by building workers

A building maintenance crew has been detained after a woman was found dead inside an elevator that had its power improperly cut off 30 days earlier, local Chinese authorities have said.

The Gaoling district government in the north-western city of Xi’an, Shaanxi province, said on Saturday that two maintenance workers turned off the power source on 30 January in a residential building after they were called to check on a glitch. However, they failed to check if anyone was inside the elevator.

The woman was identified as a 43-year-old resident who was living by herself. Police ruled out any foul play but concluded her death was caused by the gross negligence on the part of the maintenance crew in a case of involuntary manslaughter, the government said.

Source.

Worst way to die?

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

That's almost a month, I'm guessing dehydration is what killed her. The fact she lived alone did not help as no one would be looking for her.

Avatar image for Zombiekiller360
Zombiekiller360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zombiekiller360
Member since 2006 • 389 Posts

:(

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Damn, that's one way to die.

She didn't have a phone on her?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Thirty day old dead body. What a sight.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Geez, poor woman. No one heard her or anything?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

That's a terrible way to go

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@horgen said:

Would it have mattered?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

How did the day or two she maybe spent kicking around screaming that nobody heard her? I take it they don't have emergency phones on elevators either? or if so, are those supposed to be operable without power. Most landlines operate on their own power source separate from the local power utility. Or maybe it was so pitch black she couldn't see. Too bad she wasn't smoker, a lighter is a great source of light when you're in a pinch.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@N30F3N1X said:
@horgen said:

Would it have mattered?

there a feature phones have for times of emergencies, the most helpful of all is the 9-1-1 feature.

(I cant believe this needs to be explained. I can give you a fully charge phone, no... TWO fully charged phones and you would probably die in an elevator too.)

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By N30F3N1X

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@N30F3N1X said:
@horgen said:

Would it have mattered?

there a feature phones have for times of emergencies, the most helpful of all is the 9-1-1 feature.

(I cant believe this needs to be explained. I can give you a fully charge phone, no... TWO fully charged phones and you would probably die in an elevator too.)

Mobile phones don't work in elevators because the latter work as Faraday cages. Unless your phone can transceive signals with hard x-rays you won't be able to call or receive calls.

I can't believe this needs to be explained either but apparently physics don't matter. You could have every phone ever made of every manufacturer and you would still die.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By horgen  Moderator
@N30F3N1X said:

Mobile phones don't work in elevators because the latter work as Faraday cages. Unless your phone can transceive signals with hard x-rays you won't be able to call or receive calls.

I can't believe this needs to be explained either but apparently physics don't matter. You could have every phone ever made of every manufacturer and you would still die.

Huh? Really? I am quite sure I have used my cellphone in an elevator. Though I could be wrong... I use an elevator maybe twice a year.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N30F3N1X

@horgen said:
@N30F3N1X said:

Huh? Really? I am quite sure I have used my cellphone in an elevator. Though I could be wrong... I use an elevator maybe twice a year.

Technically any metal enclosure is a Faraday cage. That's the reason why your microwave oven doesn't fry you if you stand close to it.

Most elevators either have metal cages themselves and/or outside of them, in their support structure. The only elevators I know that don't, are the ones you usually see in movies that are made of plastic glass where you can see the outside, but those are rather costly and only rarely present in private buildings.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@N30F3N1X said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:
@N30F3N1X said:
@horgen said:

Would it have mattered?

lies... I made calls and texted from inside elevators cuz I've been taking multiple different elevators for the last 3 years atleast 4 times a week 4 times a day. Secondly, even if a phone is disconnected from a service provider 9-1-1 still works for all phones. You can go grab an old phone of yours right now (a 2004 Nokia, a 2005 Razer, a 2007 SideKick) that is not under any phone number or service provider and dial 9-1-1 and you can reach them right now.

Please man, I dont want you to die. Im trying to save you.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By N30F3N1X

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@N30F3N1X said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:
@N30F3N1X said:

Would it have mattered?

lies... I made calls and texted from inside elevators cuz I've been taking multiple different elevators for the last 3 years atleast 4 times a week 4 times a day. Secondly, even if a phone is disconnected from a service provider 9-1-1 still works for all phones. You can go grab an old phone of yours right now (a 2004 Nokia, a 2005 Razer, a 2007 SideKick) that is not under any phone number or service provider and dial 9-1-1 and you can reach them right now.

Please man, I dont want you to die. Im trying to save you.

Calls to 911 work differently because there's a telephone infrastructure built specifically for emergency calls, that doesn't mean calling 911 can overcome the laws of physics. Try and dial 911 and put the phone in your microwave oven. See how that works for you.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
@N30F3N1X said:

Technically any metal enclosure is a Faraday cage. That's the reason why your microwave oven doesn't fry you if you stand close to it.

Most elevators either have metal cages themselves and/or outside of them, in their support structure. The only elevators I know that don't, are the ones you usually see in movies that are made of plastic glass where you can see the outside, but those are rather costly and only rarely present in private buildings.

But my microwave has a glass or plastic door... :P

Anyhow isn't it required that there is a electrical current going through for it to be a Faraday cage?

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

@horgen said:
@N30F3N1X said:

But my microwave has a glass or plastic door... :P

Anyhow isn't it required that there is a electrical current going through for it to be a Faraday cage?

No.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@loco145:Thanks for the enlightenment :)

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@magicalclick: We're talking about china here aren't we?

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@SexyJazzCat: Yup, I am just pointing out the elevator should be built where passenger can open in when power goes out, just like many American movies. The workers are careless, but, it is more of an engineering issue than a policy issue. People just act like the workers are dumb because they are Chinese, but, elevators should be build to fool proof in the first place.

And because it is China, the elevators like pretty much everything in that country were not designed nor built with safety in mind. So yeah, this happened mostly because it's China.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Yikes.

Poor woman.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#24 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Hmm... I find it interesting that no one heard her kicking and screaming for help. I can imagine that the first day or two, she would be trying to grab someone's attention. I would be inclined to think she suffered a panic attack which lead to a heart attack. Then it would have been very easy to not notice she was in there. Also, I wonder why it took 30 days to check on the status of an elevator... gross negligence indeed.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

It's horrible way to die.. it's sad.