Woman at tech convention gets man fired due to sexual joke between friends.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/20/playhaven-developer-fired-for-making-sexual-jokes-after-sendgrids-developer-evangelist-outs-him-on-twitter/

Two guys sitting nearby this person between presentations were snickering quietly over "dongle" and "forking" jokes at PYCON and the result: Their picture is taken, Adria complains through twitter to get them ejected and uses the exposure on twitter to get them fired from their jobs over "Sexual Harassment". One being married with three kids, who made a groveling apology post on ycombinator

Her side of the story.

One of the guy's response.

Thoughts? Personally, seeing her Twitter, she's a hypocrite, racist, and extreme narcissist who was just looking for anything to offend her. Yes their joke broke the code of conduct of the convention, but so did she by taking their picture and sharing it in the Internet without their permission, and the whole "doing it to save the little girl" was a bunch of bullsh*t. This is just going to make it worse for tech females.

And through it all, she f*cked over these guys, and her company because no matter what they can't fire her now.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

some people need to learn to take a joke.

I really hate people like that, and it goes for both sexes were they take the simplest joke to far.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I think if someone told me to fire employees over something like that I'd laugh at them until they left.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Yes their joke broke the code of conduct of the conventiontagyhag
Well, nothing else to see here.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
Wow what a *****. They weren't talking to her, and their jokes weren't even offensive to a woman... It's not like they were demeaning women with some offensive jokes.
While I did make a big dongle joke about a fictional piece hardware that identified as male, no sexual jokes were made about forking. My friends and I had decided forking someones repo is a new form of flattery (the highest form being implementation) and we were excited about one of the presenters projects; a friend said I would fork that guys repo. The sexual context was applied by Adria, and not us.Article
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Inb4 Drasonak

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Haha what a society we are turning into, this is why feminism will always be looked at as a gigantic joke.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Women's a *****, plain and simple.

People need to ******* get over themselves, seriously. They weren't even talking to her!

Hope her karma catches up with her....

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

Haha what a society we are turning into, this is why feminism will always be looked at as a gigantic joke.

GD1551
This. Pathetic men can get fired over private jokes.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

TheWalkingGhost
This. Pathetic men can get fired over private jokes.

All it takes is one feminist to overhear and throw a spin on it. With the internet, it wont matter if it's true or not.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheWalkingGhost
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Yes their joke broke the code of conduct of the conventionMrGeezer
Well, nothing else to see here.

but so did she by taking their picture and sharing it in the Internet without their permissiontagyhag
Learn to read sir. Also, if you had read the article you would have known the men said she applied the sexual context to the jokes, not them.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The c*nt couldn't even talk to the guys first before ruining a man's life? What a load of BS.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
hope she gets hit by a truck
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#15 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Sounds like one big, really bad misunderstanding. Sucks that they lost their job though. Even if they did make some slightly inappropriate jokes, that's way too harsh.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Sounds like one big, really bad misunderstanding. Sucks that they lost their job though. Even if they did make some slightly inappropriate jokes, that's way too harsh.

Lucky_Krystal

This isn't a misunderstanding, this is a narcissistic **** getting people fired because apparently the universe revolves around her and she is so amazing that every guy is making lewd jokes about her.

Seriously, I feel this incident is VERY TELLING about the type of person she is, and that type is a pretty ****** one to say the least...

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#17 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

LostProphetFLCL

This isn't a misunderstanding, this is a narcissistic **** getting people fired because apparently the universe revolves around her and she is so amazing that every guy is making lewd jokes about her.

Seriously, I feel this incident is VERY TELLING about the type of person she is, and that type is a pretty ****** one to say the least...

I meant, the guys flat out said

While I did make a big dongle joke about a fictional piece hardware that identified as male, no sexual jokes were made about forking. My friends and I had decided forking someones repo is a new form of flattery (the highest form being implementation) and we were excited about one of the presenters projects; a friend said I would fork that guys repo. The sexual context was applied by Adria, and not us.

She misunderstood them. And overreacted it seems.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

Lucky_Krystal

I meant, the guys flat out said

While I did make a big dongle joke about a fictional piece hardware that identified as male, no sexual jokes were made about forking. My friends and I had decided forking someones repo is a new form of flattery (the highest form being implementation) and we were excited about one of the presenters projects; a friend said I would fork that guys repo. The sexual context was applied by Adria, and not us.

She misunderstood them. And overreacted it seems.

It's not even a misunderstanding. She was listening in on a conversation, didn't like their jokes, and decided to use social media to "out" these sexist pigs. Yet another Feminist taking something non-offensive, twisting it to make it offensive, and then attacking the person who said the non-offensive thing.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

LOL

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lonelynight
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nibroc420
 .Lonelynight
What a ****ing troll
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheWalkingGhost
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"] .Nibroc420
What a ****ing troll

Racist moronic dumba$$ is more like it.
Cefryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cefryd
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

originalfmf.jpg

I really hate little snakes like her. That man should have his job back, and she should be banned from any form of technology.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

Inappropriate joke, sure. She should have asked them to zip their **** and **** their lives if they continued.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The feminist movement has brought us to this point where men can't even make jokes any more. I have no idea how the two idiots making jokes in public did NOT see a woman in front of them. Surely the two morons should known better now look at them. I don't feel sorry for idiots but I don't this fem powah bs either. This beotch seems like she was on a mission just looking for anything she could use for her blog.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
what a b!tch
dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

What self-righteous c*nt. I hope she gets what she deserves.

EDIT: I wonder how many death threats this idiot will recieve. Her pathetic attempt at attention will backfire quickly and violently.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

She is a b*tch, but the guy is also a moron. 

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dangamit

tenaka2
How is the guy a moron? By making sexual-nerdy jokes at a conference packed with nerds? If she didn't like the jokes she could have either changed her seat or asked them to be quiet. This b*tch is a drama queen and an attention whore. Reading her blog made my blood boil.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 no-scope-AK47

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

dangamit

How is the guy a moron? By making sexual-nerdy jokes at a conference packed with nerds? If she didn't like the jokes she could have either changed her seat or asked them to be quiet. This b*tch is a drama queen and an attention whore. Reading her blog made my blood boil.

You have to ask how the guys were morons really how old are you that we even have to explain this ??

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

dangamit

I work in IT, you never make innuendo jokes around anyone you don't know well and even so only if you are certain they will not be offended. Doing otherwise makes you a moron.

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dangamit

[QUOTE="dangamit"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

no-scope-AK47

You have to ask how the guys were morons really how old are you that we even have to explain this ??

Old enough to use proper punctuation.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 no-scope-AK47

[QUOTE="no-scope-AK47"]

[QUOTE="dangamit"] How is the guy a moron? By making sexual-nerdy jokes at a conference packed with nerds? If she didn't like the jokes she could have either changed her seat or asked them to be quiet. This b*tch is a drama queen and an attention whore. Reading her blog made my blood boil.dangamit

So your a english nazi now lol so sorry the note 2 does not do grammar. Some how you still seem to understand me and comment.

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dangamit

tenaka2

I work in IT, you never make innuendo jokes around anyone you don't know well and even so only if you are certain they will not be offended. Doing otherwise makes you a moron.

What you said applies to all industries. But it is obvious this man had no intention to offend anyone. You're a moron if you keep making jokes after being respectfully asked to stop, which she never did.
dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dangamit

[QUOTE="dangamit"][QUOTE="no-scope-AK47"]You have to ask how the guys were morons really how old are you that we even have to explain this ??

no-scope-AK47

So your a english nazi now lol so sorry the note 2 does not do grammar. Some how you still seem to understand me and comment.

Funny, I'm using the Galaxy S3, which uses the same software as the Note 2, yet somehow I can still use punctuation. And it does 'do grammar'.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Can I get people banned from GameSpot using this same approach?

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

.Lonelynight

I guess someone has to be white and part of the 1% to be racist.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lonelynight

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"] .Palantas

I guess someone has to be white and part of the 1% to be racist.

what about those that are black but also in the 1%?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="dangamit"] How is the guy a moron? By making sexual-nerdy jokes at a conference packed with nerds? If she didn't like the jokes she could have either changed her seat or asked them to be quiet. This b*tch is a drama queen and an attention whore. Reading her blog made my blood boil.dangamit

What you said applies to all industries. But it is obvious this man had no intention to offend anyone. You're a moron if you keep making jokes after being respectfully asked to stop, which she never did.

I guess we both have different standards regarding people interaction, I tend to think about what I say before I say it. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
Who cares really.....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

tenaka2

I guess we both have different standards regarding people interaction, I tend to think about what I say before I say it. 

Best to be that way. Jokes are fine IF you know the other players. Otherwise....no. And it can and does lead to loss of jobs if you're too stupid to know that.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 no-scope-AK47

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

I hope your just trolling and not this dense. If your waiting for people to tell you to stop, clearly your going to get into problems. SOP is know who your talking to and where. Even if your sure that the person your talking with is cool, as long as others can hear you it might not be cool with them. You might not be old enough to get what I am saying but in the adult world you just can't just open your pie hole indiscriminately. It would have been nice to get a warning but she was not required to do so.

Due to their lack of self control a man lost his job and it was all his fault. Not sure what joke was so important that it could not wait for the proper setting. In the current work culture anything that reflects badly on the company is grounds for termination on or off the job.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
While I agree that men should be held responsible for things that they say, this woman sounds like she is a bit loony.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 no-scope-AK47

While I agree that men should be held responsible for things that they say, this woman sounds like she is a bit loony. mindstorm
Your right she seems like she was just looking for things to find fault with. That said these two idiots gave her the ammo to shoot them with. Look how fast this thing went viral. Companies are not playing games any more. Now if your working at some 10 buck an hour job then maybe this would slide.

At work I keep to work related topics and keep my personal life out of it. When I am having drinks with friends even then my guard is still up on some topics. The office is war and your words are intel that can help or hurt you.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

So she just eavesdropped in on their conversation, took a picture of them and posted it on the interwebs without their consent and manages to get them fired? Wow, and that nosy b!tch is the victim in all this??

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
This is an angry thread for such a boring topic.
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 no-scope-AK47

So she just eavesdropped in on their conversation, took a picture of them and posted it on the interwebs without their consent and manages to get them fired? Wow, and that nosy b!tch is the victim in all this??

FinalFighters

How did she eavesdrop on them in a public place ??

There was also a disclaimer for behavior with a clear code of conduct. Was that also her fault ??

Do I like it no but it is what it is.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

It was a pretty mean spirited thing to do over such a small occurance. Now a father of three is out of a job in an already horrible job market. I don't exactly get where all of this self rightousness is coming from considering she apparently makes the same kind of statements on her own twitter according to that article.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic

It was a pretty mean spirited thing to do over such a small occurance. Now a father of three is out of a job in an already horrible job market. I don't exactly get where all of this self rightousness is coming from considering she apparently makes the same kind of statements on her own twitter according to that article.

UnknownSniper65
Well in the workplace it's a bit different than twitter.