Will we ever get another Michael Jordon in basketball?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

Mj had a legendary basketball career and although there have people who they bring up next to him(kobe, lebron) none of them have unanimously reached that status.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Does Michael B Jordan in NBA2K count? :P

Seriously though, probably not...MJ was not just about the stats; the wow factor will be difficult to match, especially since the overall prowess of NBA players is higher than it used to be. It's like asking if there will ever be another team like the Globetrotters.....here countless people out there with those kind of skills but somehow it's not the same thing...heck, even the current trotters aren't "as good" as the ones who first wow'ed us.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Michael Jordan is like the Wayne Gretzky of basketball. He was a highly-skilled player who came into a league that wasn't quite yet ready for such an all-star talent. He dominated because he was so much better than everyone else at the game. He inspired an entire generation of youth to get into the game and learn to be as good or better than him. And much like Gretzky, he would come into the modern NBA lost in a sea of equal talent, not recognized as anything beyond yet another great player.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#4 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

The talent in the league was nowhere near it is today. Jordan feasted on lesser talent. I highly doubt we will see a player as dominant as MJ again because there are so many good players on every team these days.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

Stephen Curry? Apparently, he's very good. One of the stars from Golden State Warriors.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

We already have one. His name is

Lonzo Ball.

Just kidding

@bgres077 said:

The talent in the league was nowhere near it is today. Jordan feasted on lesser talent. I highly doubt we will see a player as dominant as MJ again because there are so many good players on every team these days.

Yeah, I mean, Hakeem Olajuwan, Penny Hardaway, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal, Karl Malone, John Stockton, bunch of scrubs. I even left Larry Bird off the list for your sake, just because he played most of his career earlier, but he did play during the Jordan years and Jordan went toe to toe with him.

Gwynbleidd_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Gwynbleidd_91
Member since 2018 • 137 Posts

We don't need another MJ. He had a great career back in the 80s-90s and the majority of us have moved on. I'm happy the NBA players of today are creating their own paths to glory instead of trying to be like past players.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mercenary848

@theone86 said:

We already have one. His name is

Lonzo Ball.

Just kidding

@bgres077 said:

Yeah, I mean, Hakeem Olajuwan, Penny Hardaway, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal, Karl Malone, John Stockton, bunch of scrubs. I even left Larry Bird off the list for your sake, just because he played most of his career earlier, but he did play during the Jordan years and Jordan went toe to toe with him.

Ill throw khareem abdul jabar in as well. Heck scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman in their prime as well

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@Mercenary848:

Joe Dumars, Kevin Mchale, and James Worthy weren't so bad either.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mercenary848

Yeah, I really dont agree with this notion that things were easier back then. Yeah the training has improved, but the game has also gotten softer. Now you can call foul if another player breathes on you, and refs are a lot easier on traveling.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

Doubtful.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Mercenary848: I can't even watch anymore, it seems like they're allowed 5+ steps and the players just fall over and cry foul if somebody looks at them wrong.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

Mj had a legendary basketball career and although there have people who they bring up next to him(kobe, lebron) none of them have unanimously reached that status.

Will we ever get a new Lebron.

Who is the best depends on when you were born and who played around you, remember it´s a team sport not a individual race.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58353 Posts

statistically? Yes. It's just natural for one person's once-awesome numbers to get beaten by new players and so forth.

But Jordan added so much more to basketball than just his performance. He played the game well, had class, and was an ambassador. Jordan made the sport popular, inspired others, and more. Was watching a documentary about basketball and they interviewed many players and every. single. one. listed Jordan as their childhood hero and reason for getting into the sport.

@Mercenary848 said:

Yeah, I really dont agree with this notion that things were easier back then. Yeah the training has improved, but the game has also gotten softer. Now you can call foul if another player breathes on you, and refs are a lot easier on traveling.

The game was more difficult back then. Shaq would go home battered and bruised after games. SHAQ! Who, you know, is freaking huge and big and tall and fierce. It was so much more like a mean game on your local street court than the highy-regulated game it is now.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Mercenary848 said:

The game was more difficult back then. Shaq would go home battered and bruised after games. SHAQ! Who, you know, is freaking huge and big and tall and fierce. It was so much more like a mean game on your local street court than the highy-regulated game it is now.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@Jacanuk said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Will we ever get a new Lebron.

Who is the best depends on when you were born and who played around you, remember it´s a team sport not a individual race.

Loading Video...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theone86
@Mercenary848 said:

Ill throw khareem abdul jabar in as well. Heck scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman in their prime as well

Jordan never had to play against Pippen, but yeah, Rodman was another great player who wasn't on the Bulls for the entire Jordan period. And I might grant people the argument that the average talent in the league is better now than it was then (although there's still a lot of not so great players today. Look at the Nets, the Knicks for how long, the Sixers for how long, the Kings, The Grizzlies, the Jazz for how long, the Magic, etc.) Heck, it's almost a given that the Eastern Conference as a whole is not on the same level as the Western and the Western Conference team will win the Finals. That does make Lebron's beating the Warriors even more remarkable, but it also cuts into the argument that he's just up against better competition than Jordan.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mercenary848

@theone86 said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Jordan never had to play against Pippen, but yeah, Rodman was another great player who wasn't on the Bulls for the entire Jordan period. And I might grant people the argument that the average talent in the league is better now than it was then (although there's still a lot of not so great players today. Look at the Nets, the Knicks for how long, the Sixers for how long, the Kings, The Grizzlies, the Jazz for how long, the Magic, etc.) Heck, it's almost a given that the Eastern Conference as a whole is not on the same level as the Western and the Western Conference team will win the Finals. That does make Lebron's beating the Warriors even more remarkable, but it also cuts into the argument that he's just up against better competition than Jordan.

I saw the jazz play the hawks in atl a few years ago.....

It was something

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

When some crazy talented dude chops it off and joins WNBA we'll see it. It's inevitable. Hell, Jordan in his prime made the rest of the NBA look like women, imagine the next Jordan goes full Caitlin!! Plus, it would make more people watch WNBA!!! It's a win win... except for the women.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@vfighter: @Mercenary848: "I can't even watch anymore, it seems like they're allowed 5+ steps and the players just fall over and cry foul if somebody looks at them wrong."

Man have you seen the NFL lately?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Probably, no doubt there's tons of Michael Jordans out there. Only so many names in the world.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mercenary848

@mandzilla said:

Probably, no doubt there's tons of Michael Jordans out there. Only so many names in the world.

boooooo

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts
@Mercenary848 said:
@mandzilla said:

boooooo

Thank you, thank you!

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1854 Posts

@foxhound_fox: I’m a Chicago native and Bulls fan and I somewhat agree, however Jordan wouldn’t get lost as “just another great” in today’s NBA. He would still be a top 3 player. Lebron I think is better individually. Durant is probably a better scorer.

In his prime, best ever is Kareem. He was unguardable, a great passer, and all-world defense. You also can’t teach 7’2”.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#25  Edited By bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

@dr_vancouver: Have you sent your resume to the WNBA for the Commissioner position yet? If not please do that ASAP.

frogo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frogo0
Member since 2016 • 91 Posts

Lebron james

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Robert Horry has the most championships.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19574 Posts

There will always be that one guy who transcends his sport. For example:

Basketball - Michael Jordan

Boxing - Muhammad Ali

Distance running - Mo Farah

Formula 1 - Michael Schumacher

Golf - Tiger Woods

Sprinting - Usain Bolt

Swimming - Michael Phelps

Wrestling - The Rock

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50575 Posts

No

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts
@Jag85 said:

There will always be that one guy who transcends his sport. For example:

Basketball - Michael Jordan vs Malone

Boxing - Muhammad Ali vs Frazier

Golf - Tiger Woods vs Mickelson

Sprinting - Usain Bolt vs World

Swimming - Michael Phelps vs Crocker

Wrestling - The Rock vs Stone Cold

There will always be that 1 guy...who is forever attached to another.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23040 Posts

@Baconstrip78 said:

@foxhound_fox: I’m a Chicago native and Bulls fan and I somewhat agree, however Jordan wouldn’t get lost as “just another great” in today’s NBA. He would still be a top 3 player. Lebron I think is better individually. Durant is probably a better scorer.

In his prime, best ever is Kareem. He was unguardable, a great passer, and all-world defense. You also can’t teach 7’2”.

I think that's fair. Jordan was a great player, but it was his self promotion (and moves that enabled that self promotion) that made him a legend.

I really think Lebron could have been a contemporary Jordan, but he failed to make himself the face of a franchise - to lift up a franchise and sell himself as the savior that did so. That's not all his fault, but it's nonetheless the case.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#33 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19574 Posts

@saltslasher: Well played. That's how legends are made, from historic rivalries.

paulagnes1745

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 paulagnes1745
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

No.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theone86
@mattbbpl said:
@Baconstrip78 said:

I think that's fair. Jordan was a great player, but it was his self promotion (and moves that enabled that self promotion) that made him a legend.

I really think Lebron could have been a contemporary Jordan, but he failed to make himself the face of a franchise - to lift up a franchise and sell himself as the savior that did so. That's not all his fault, but it's nonetheless the case.

Um, like Lebron isn't a shameless self-promoter? I mean, I get it, the doucehbag owners are getting filthy rich off these players past and present, but it's not like Lebron is so different from Jordan.

One thing I will say against Jordan, what he did to Muggsy Bogues was 100% an ego trip, I don't think Lebron has done anything like that. Still, it's not like he has just completely eschewed merchandising deals or anything.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23040 Posts

@theone86: I failed to communicate somewhere. LeBron is definitely a self promotor. For reasons both in and out of his control he just isn't as good at it. Lord knows he tried to be a Jordan, he just failed.