Why was The Hurt Locker a successful movie?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eccentric_view

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 eccentric_view
Member since 2010 • 165 Posts
Rendition, The Manchuriate Candidate, Body of Lies, hundreds of movies about the War in Iraq or just the general Middle-East turmoil have failed to garner much attention in the US. What made The Hurt Locker so special it even went so far as to win an oscar or two?
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
God knows. I don't like it at all.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
It was directed by a woman? jkjk Actually I don't know. I thought it was good. Very nicely put together.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
I watched it before knowing about all the hype. I got bored and stopped half way through. To be fair, I didn't really give it a fair chance; I wasn't really paying attention... =[
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

So you're saying THL got a nod because it was political? I dunno.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Wow you guys didn't like it? I didn't watch it yet, but I was planning on it with all the hype it got. Was it just boring or something?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Rendition, The Manchuriate Candidate, Body of Lies, hundreds of movies about the War in Iraq or just the general Middle-East turmoil have failed to garner much attention in the US. What made The Hurt Locker so special it even went so far as to win an oscar or two?eccentric_view

It won an oscar because it was better than the other movies.

And I wasn't aware that it did make much money. I was under the impression that it performed poorly at the box office. If it was a financial success, I'm willing to bet that it's only because of the oscars that it won.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

I guess kissing the ass of America's military on a small budget just does it for some people. I found it to be complete crap. Especially after the ridiculous amount of hype it was given.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

And I wasn't aware that it did make much money. I was under the impression that it performed poorly at the box office. If it was a financial success, I'm willing to bet that it's only because of the oscars that it won.

MrGeezer

It did worse at the Box Office than any other Best Picture winner. It wasn't really a financial success at all.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Because it was a great movie.

strider_m16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 strider_m16
Member since 2010 • 278 Posts

It was pretty good. It was sometimes dramatic.

Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts

I guess kissing the ass of America's military on a small budget just does it for some people. I found it to be complete crap. Especially after the ridiculous amount of hype it was given.

Dark_Knight6
It was a box office slump,it did pretty bad in sales.There really wasn't any hype untill the Oscars.Unless you're referring to the rave reviews.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

AtomicBaconBits

It was a box office slump,it did pretty bad in sales.There really wasn't any hype untill the Oscars.Unless you're referring to the rave reviews.

I never said it did well in sales. Fact of the matter is, all it did was kiss ass and $15 million is a pretty low budget. And I never mentioned a time frame for the hype. Over all, it received a disgusting amount of it.

rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#14 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts
the oscars award movies for the artistic side, not necessarily how entertaining they are to the general public.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I couldn't tell you... It wasn't anything beyond decent in my opinion. And a second watch is virtually impossible for me, the suspense is totally dead.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
I couldn't tell you... It wasn't anything beyond decent in my opinion. And a second watch is virtually impossible for me, the suspense is totally dead. raven_squad
YES, somebody is speaking sense. The first viewing is alright, but each subsequent viewing is torture, and nothing more.
Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

The bore of a movie is already being forgotten now, even oscar couldn't safe it's pathetic box office performance.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Because it was directed by a woman, which is very rare in cinema.
XxWOND3RB3ADxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XxWOND3RB3ADxX
Member since 2008 • 1189 Posts

I liked it a lot i just like the whole story and the way its setup its really exciting and makes you nervous the whole time.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
Because it was directed by a woman, which is very rare in cinema.Rod90
Not really.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frostybanana
Because it was directed by a woman, which is very rare in cinema.Rod90
she's made other movies that nobody cared about. K19 bombed at the box office. If it had anything to do with her being a woman, she would've been noticed beforehand. i doubt it has anything to do with that.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"]Because it was directed by a woman, which is very rare in cinema.frostybanana
she's made other movies that nobody cared about. K19 bombed at the box office. If it had anything to do with her being a woman, she would've been noticed beforehand. i doubt it has anything to do with that.

I love her film Near Dark.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I thought it was a great movie, except for the main character becoming pretty tiresome by the end. Other than that, though, I thought it was great, easily up there among war movies with the likes of Platoon.

alwaysdrunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 alwaysdrunk13
Member since 2010 • 285 Posts
I found it kind of pedestrian, but it was the type of movie made for the Academy - take current political agenda, add a pinch of character progression, mix with a bit of a plot arc, and serve with director du jour.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 frostybanana
[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="Rod90"]Because it was directed by a woman, which is very rare in cinema.raven_squad

I love her film Near Dark.

didn't win an oscar :P
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I found it kind of pedestrian, but it was the type of movie made for the Academy - take current political agenda, add a pinch of character progression, mix with a bit of a plot arc, and serve with director du jour.alwaysdrunk13

See, this is what I don't get, I hate war movies that get too far into agenda and I think I would've disliked this film had they gone that route. Part of what makes the film good IMO is that they're trying to A. deliver a decent thriller and B. trying to develop a feel for what it's like on the ground without all the heavy-handed commentary, and I feel they did both.

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

JML897

It did worse at the Box Office than any other Best Picture winner. It wasn't really a financial success at all.

It took in roughly $40 million in the box office and was made with $15 million. It still turned profit.

alwaysdrunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 alwaysdrunk13
Member since 2010 • 285 Posts

[QUOTE="alwaysdrunk13"]I found it kind of pedestrian, but it was the type of movie made for the Academy - take current political agenda, add a pinch of character progression, mix with a bit of a plot arc, and serve with director du jour.theone86

See, this is what I don't get, I hate war movies that get too far into agenda and I think I would've disliked this film had they gone that route. Part of what makes the film good IMO is that they're trying to A. deliver a decent thriller and B. trying to develop a feel for what it's like on the ground without all the heavy-handed commentary, and I feel they did both.

Personally, every single "tense" moment was telegraphed as far as which defusal would and wouldn't have a successful outcome. And although the political gender is not actively harped on - setting in a current conflict automatically brings with it some sort of political allegory, or at least inadvertently display the directors agenda. It's noticeable but not overshadowing in The Hurt Locker.
eccentric_view

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 eccentric_view
[QUOTE="Rod90"]Because it was directed by a woman, which is very rare in cinema.frostybanana

Whoa she was the one behind K19 the Widowmaker? I remember that movie. Also a little trivia about the fact that the Russians or whomever didn't actually give that nickname for the submarine, it was made for the movie only.
SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts

People ask the same thing about avatar.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

I can't speak for everyone else, but for me, it was because it was the only movie I have seen on the Iraq war that actually made me personally feel the danger and the tension that exists in the conflict.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
I don't know, it was interesting for the first half but I certainly don't think it was best picture material. I don't like the studio behind it, either.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#34 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Its well made from a technical point of view (except the shakey cam) but I don't think its as deep as it would like to think that it is. It makes its point about war as a drug very early on and settles for climaxes really. Some of those scenes at the end with the kid are absurd. Personally, I think Green Zone and Brothers are much better films. Green Zone in particular because it has a much wider overview of the Iraq war.

To your question: Given the politics of the Oscars, they'd prefer a more emotive experience, something that allows viewers to sympathise with the experiences of troops in a supposedly objective mode (Hurt Locker) rather than one that is more in tune with the reality (Green Zone and the fact that Iraq is an illegal war).

applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

Because it was awesome.

Mr_Manikin52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr_Manikin52
Member since 2004 • 12300 Posts

Jeremy Renner put on a great performance in Hurt Locker. I will watch his next movie "The Town".

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
It was a film that really got you immersed in the conflict because of the directing technique and the authenticity of it all, and it does so very quickly. Whether or not it deserved the best pic award is highly debatable, but for the reasons above is why I think it's above most Iraq War based dramas.
eccentric_view

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 eccentric_view
Ah okay.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

I thought it was horrible. It's not even close to being up their with the best war movies like Platoon, FMJ, Saving Private Ryan, etc. And anyone who says it's realistic is an idiot. It's not.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="AtomicBaconBits"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Dark_Knight6

I never said it did well in sales. Fact of the matter is, all it did was kiss ass and $15 million is a pretty low budget. And I never mentioned a time frame for the hype. Over all, it received a disgusting amount of it.

How the hell did it kiss ass? What movie were YOU watching?

monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
because the voters loved MW2 and fell in love seeing Juggernaut's for real
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#42 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

It was a great movie, but last year there werent too many amazing films really. It sickens me that Avatar was a top contender for best picture. IMO Inglorious Besterds was the best film

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts
it was a great movie
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

the oscars award movies for the artistic side, not necessarily how entertaining they are to the general public.rowzzr

Which makes me wonder why The Hurt Locker won best picture instead of The Blind Side.

It was a good movie, but it was far from "artistic." If anything, it was a generic war film with a unique perspective. Jarhead wasfar, far more artistic than Hurt Locker. Especially considering shots like this:

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="rowzzr"]the oscars award movies for the artistic side, not necessarily how entertaining they are to the general public.foxhound_fox

Which makes me wonder why The Hurt Locker won best picture instead of The Blind Side.

It was a good movie, but it was far from "artistic." If anything, it was a generic war film with a unique perspective. Jarhead wasfar, far more artistic than Hurt Locker. Especially considering shots like this:

Well for starters, I don't think that Jarhead was competing against The Hurt Locker for best picture. So I'm not even sure why you bring that up.

Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tangmashi
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

Rendition, The Manchuriate Candidate, Body of Lies, hundreds of movies about the War in Iraq or just the general Middle-East turmoil have failed to garner much attention in the US. What made The Hurt Locker so special it even went so far as to win an oscar or two?eccentric_view

It was a good movie, but it failed at the box office just like all the others. PS, the original Manchurian Candidate was awesome.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

It was an ok movie but the sniper scene completely ruined it for me.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#48 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

while all the others were incredibly unrealistic, inauthentic, and terrible artistically, the Hurt Locker was actually a very good film from an artistic and storytelling perspective. Of course, it is was still incredibly unrealistic and inauthentic.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#49 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

It was a great movie, but last year there werent too many amazing films really. It sickens me that Avatar was a top contender for best picture. IMO Inglorious Besterds was the best film

The_Gaming_Baby

agreed on all counts. Tarantino's best since PF

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

[QUOTE="eccentric_view"]Rendition, The Manchuriate Candidate, Body of Lies, hundreds of movies about the War in Iraq or just the general Middle-East turmoil have failed to garner much attention in the US. What made The Hurt Locker so special it even went so far as to win an oscar or two?Tangmashi

It was a good movie, but it failed at the box office just like all the others. PS, the original Manchurian Candidate was awesome.

As I said before it didn't fail at the box office. Yeah it didn't rake in 100 million plus but it still made roughly 40 million, which was 25 million more than it cost (it was a 15 million dollar film).