Why is Toys R Us and Blockbuster video gone?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Redbox sucks and cable/netflix doesn't get all the new movies like blockbuster used to get.

Toys R Us had games/lego's tons of aisles of important goods

What is wrong with the human race? Are they outa touch on what was good and shouldn't leave?

i would gladly walk into a blockbuster video rent a game and a movie and walk out after nothing comes close

i would gladly walk into toys r us buy a video game or system or some lego's

NOTHING is wrong with these stores

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

I can get games and movies by clicking my mouse. I can get Lego sets from Amazon or better yet individual pieces directly from Lego's website.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Streaming and the internet in general killed BlockBuster. Plus their insane late fees and charging $5-6 Canadian to rent a movie. People got sick of getting ripped off.

Smart phones and Tablets killed Toys. Kids don’t want toys anymore. They would rather get a tablet.

Times change. It is what it is.

The economy also sucks in USA and Canada. People are too poor and cheap now. Bills are too expensive. Also online shopping like ebay/amazon which has much better deals killed toys r us.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Both of these businesses deserved to go under. Let's start with Blockbuster.

Back in 2004 Blockbuster were offered the opportunity to buy Netflix for 50 million.

This was a big mistake, however at the time you wouldn't see it like that.

Blockbuster were the market leader in home movies and video games, at this point Netflix was only a mail subscribe service.

Blockbuster chosen to compete rather than buy Netflix, they were not ignorant to mail service and they tried to launch Thier own versions.

The problem with offering subscription service was they lost a ton of profit they got from late fees, they needed late fees because it they need the movies back in store and the late fee was the motivation for customers to return there movie on time.

Around 2005 they stopped late fees and started bleeding money.

From here there was only one way the company was going to go, they attempted to launch there subscription service were you could return your movie to.any store, and even linked up with another company to launch a streaming service (before Netflix offered streaming) but they never went all on, as they believed video stores were still the future.

At the time you would have believed this too.

The decline continued until around 2010 when they went bankrupt.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@stuff238 said:

Streaming and the internet in general killed BlockBuster. Plus their insane late fees and charging $5-6 Canadian to rent a movie. People got sick of getting ripped off.

Smart phones and Tablets killed Toys. Kids don’t want toys anymore. They would rather get a tablet.

Times change. It is what it is.

The economy also sucks in USA and Canada. People are too poor and cheap now. Bills are too expensive. Also online shopping like ebay/amazon which has much better deals killed toys r us.

Yeah pretty much of what you said I agree with you. Thanks to the internet now we can pretty much watch movies and shows better then wasting money on renting movies, and you can buy things online for a cheaper price such as Legos and video games. And all the kids that I see are always on their smart phones and not playing toys.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

video-ezy are still around here because theve got rental boxes were you select a movie and use your credit card, there's atleast 1 at every shopping center, blockbuster didn't do this, I do miss renting games.

toys r us are overpriced compared to kmart and target by up to $30. so no one went there mind you im Australian and it might be different in the us. saying kids want tablets instead of toys isnt really a cause. my oldest who's in grade 3 still has the fads it some transforming car atm. and my girls still play plenty with theres

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because they didn't adapt to times and not making enough revenue anymore, simple

emily393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emily393
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Now you can shop for lego sets in India at iBhejo.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I stopped renting movies and stopped getting paid cable in 2009

and yet I watch and enjoy more then before.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@emily393: Let's not bump anymore old threads.