Why is saying God Damn so bad in the USA?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

Don't bite my head off, I'm just curious. I have noticed how a lot of music videos on MTV have "God" bleeped out but not "Damn" (e.g. This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race by Fall Out Boy). I'm assuming it's to do with it being blasphemous and offensive to a lot of people, but what makes me curious is that in the UK, we are allowed to say "God damn" on TV and radio, and as such song with those words generally aren't censored. Actually, saying "damn" is worse. We are also a predominantly Christian country, but oddly people don't seem to be as offended as much. It may just be due to the fact that your population is 6 times greater so there are 6 times as many people to offend.

Feel free to correct me if I'm completely wrong, but this is just my opinion and don't call me retarded or dumbass, I am just curious and don't want to create a heated debate (like i could do on Youtube :?)

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

It always seemed strange to me too, but Christianity in America seems to be taken more seriously than here in the UK. Religion just seems to be more of a big deal over there than it is here.

I might be wrong, but that's just what I've always percieved.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Comic_Capers

It always seemed strange to me too, but Christianity in America seems to be taken more seriously than here in the UK. Religion just seems to be more of a big deal over there than it is here.

I might be wrong, but that's just what I've always percieved.

broken_bass_bin
That's what I've always thought too. Let's see what an American thinks shall we....
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
My impression of both the United States and the UK (from a third party perspective) is that religious fundamentalism is much stronger in the US. To the extent that things like 'god damn' are censored.
XanderKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 XanderKage
Member since 2006 • 8956 Posts

What? You mean saying that is wrong?? God damn it... Right, mediocre humor aside, it is kinda weird. But what strikes me as weirder is how people sometimes spell "god" as "g-d". It makes no sence.. Why? "God" is not his name or title or anything. I can get why you wouldn't say or write his actual name, but why censor "god"??

qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts

Because we have to be politically correct.... -.-

gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 gamertylers
Member since 2005 • 1977 Posts

qwertyoip
This. They get offended if you say God because it is disrespectful in that manner, and offensive to them. On the other hand, it's apparently okay and not offensive for religions to condemn people to hell and say it's sinful to be homosexual. Welcome to America :)
qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 qwertyoip
[QUOTE="gamertylers"][QUOTE="qwertyoip"]

This. They get offended if you say God because it is disrespectful in that manner, and offensive to them. On the other hand, it's apparently okay and not offensive for religions to condemn people to hell and say it's sinful to be homosexual. Welcome to America :)

Its offensive to have Christmas (holy $#%^ its like its a christian holiday or something) but having atheistic standards shoved down our throats [there was a history book changing B.C. (before Christ) to B.C.E (before common era :roll: ) and A.D. (anno domini- Latin for Year of the Lord) to C.E. (common era)] Id like to know how many people are offended by these three statements: Christmas. 157 B.C. 2009 A.D. *looks for someone raising their hand*
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's breaking one of the Ten Commandments.

Also the FCC is ludicrous. Don't even bother trying to make sense of it.

And G-d can be an abbreviation for God damn, or... It's for those who are too religious write "God". They do this, because they believe that writing "God" on something that could be destroyed is gonna earn them an eternity in hell, so the censor it. Kudos to Urban Dictionary. :P

cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
Saying it ANYWHERE where christianity is around is bad, not just america.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Danm_999

[QUOTE="gamertylers"][QUOTE="qwertyoip"]

qwertyoip

Its offensive to have Christmas (holy $#%^ its like its a christian holiday or something) but having atheistic standards shoved down our throats [there was a history book changing B.C. (before Christ) to B.C.E (before common era :roll: ) and A.D. (anno domini- Latin for Year of the Lord) to C.E. (common era)] Id like to know how many people are offended by these three statements: Christmas. 157 B.C. 2009 A.D. *looks for someone raising their hand*

These changes are often made so as to not alienate other religions and cultures.

As to why they make them? I suppose it has something to do with the United States not passing any law respecting the establishment of religion.

IIIlllI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IIIlllI
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
Well I live in America, and I say God Damn a lot, and it doesn't seem as if anyone has really ever had a problem with it. I mean, I don't go around shouting "GOD DAMN IT!" but people've heard me say it before, plenty of people, and I've never really seen anyone who had an issue with me saying it. I never perceived it as a big deal saying it, but maybe it's just me. My mom doesn't like people saying it, because it's using the Lord's name in vain, but she doesn't really make a scene about it or anything. Like I said; maybe it's just me. But seriously, it's really not a big deal. Also:
This. They get offended if you say God because it is disrespectful in that manner, and offensive to them. On the other hand, it's apparently okay and not offensive for religions to condemn people to hell and say it's sinful to be homosexual. Welcome to America :) gamertylers
This.
qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 qwertyoip
[QUOTE="qwertyoip"][QUOTE="gamertylers"] This. They get offended if you say God because it is disrespectful in that manner, and offensive to them. On the other hand, it's apparently okay and not offensive for religions to condemn people to hell and say it's sinful to be homosexual. Welcome to America :) Danm_999

These changes are often made so as to not alienate other religions and cultures.

alienate the people who have nothing at all to do with how the calendar is set up or with christmas
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Saying it ANYWHERE where christianity is around is bad, not just america.cousin_eddy

Not in the UK.

Well, some conservative Christians might consider it blasphemy, but it's never censored like it is in America, and it is not considered un-PC. Everyone says it, even the few people I know who claim to be Catholic say it.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="qwertyoip"] Its offensive to have Christmas (holy $#%^ its like its a christian holiday or something) but having atheistic standards shoved down our throats [there was a history book changing B.C. (before Christ) to B.C.E (before common era :roll: ) and A.D. (anno domini- Latin for Year of the Lord) to C.E. (common era)] Id like to know how many people are offended by these three statements: Christmas. 157 B.C. 2009 A.D. *looks for someone raising their hand*qwertyoip

alienate the people who have nothing at all to do with how the calendar is set up or with christmas

It's not that clear cut. The Gregorian Calendar is a global standard now, other cultures, non-Christian cultures, use it. To them, substituting the references to Christ makes sense. As for the Christmas issue, it doesn't bother me personally, but I can imagine it might some religious people if you had elements of a foreign religion shoved in your face. Imagine if during Ramadan you were subject to constant reminders it was going on.
xGamermanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xGamermanxx
Member since 2009 • 187 Posts

I'm american and I say god damn, all the time no one I know has a probelm with it.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Im a christian, so I dont say it, and I dont like it when other people say it, but Im not gonna freak out if I hear it. I hang out with people that say it, so I wouldnt say its that big a deal.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

They take religion christianity more seriously than most here do, it's silly though.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Comic_Capers

Saying it ANYWHERE where christianity is around is bad, not just america.cousin_eddy

But as I said, over here it isn't bad. Also, I have seen bands performing live on TV in the states where thay haven't censored swear words but they still have censored "God" (the band themselves didn't sing the word). WTF?

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
:lol: Americans censor blasphemy? Wow.
qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 qwertyoip
[QUOTE="qwertyoip"][QUOTE="Danm_999"] These changes are often made so as to not alienate other religions and cultures.Danm_999

It's not that clear cut. The Gregorian Calendar is a global standard now, other cultures, non-Christian cultures, use it. To them, substituting the references to Christ makes sense. As for the Christmas issue, it doesn't bother me personally, but I can imagine it might some religious people if you had elements of a foreign religion shoved in your face. Imagine if during Ramadan you were subject to constant reminders it was going on.

I wouldnt care... And yes, I know it is a global standard, but the gregorian calendar WAS set up by catholics, and christmas WAS set up by catholics, its the date of birth of our founder, give us a break
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Danm_999
I wouldnt care...qwertyoip
Congratulations. You're more open minded than many other people. [QUOTE="qwertyoip"] And yes, I know it is a global standard, but the gregorian calendar WAS set up by catholics,

Actually it was made up by a doctor/astronomer, the Pope utilised it after he died.
and christmas WAS set up by catholics, its the date of birth of our founder, give us a breakqwertyoip
Christimas itself, but the 25th was the celebration of Sol Invictus and Winter Solstice before Christianity came along. Again, things are not so clear cut. Other cultures take values and adopt elements of them. Corporations don't want to alienate people, so they use generic greetings. The government constitutionally cannot favour one religion over another, so they use generic terms in textbooks. Does it really matter at the end of the day?
Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Comic_Capers

I suppose it's probably similar to the reason that state schools aren't allowed to talk about religion in order to protect the minorities.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Well, in Canada they can have nudity and any swear in 14A movies so... go figure : / Seriously though, it's the nation that is watching the program and its history that may determine just how offensive certain things are. It'd be like using the N-word in america, it would be perceived as a more offensive word than up here in Canada.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts

Some consider it to be in bad taste, especially when religion is more highly regarded here in the U.S. Still, I still hear it fairly common.

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

Its called taking the Lord's name in vain. 3rd commandment I think.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Because America has to be pathetically politicly correct...
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I hear that all the time here. I think I've heard it on the TV as well.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Political correctness gone mad.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Not in god damn Britain, though it's not really commonly used
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God" ,pretty much why.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darth-Caedus
"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God" ,pretty much why.cyberdarkkid
But the rest of the country shouldn't be forced to deal with censorship just because a certain religion doesn't like somthing.
m45t3rch13f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 m45t3rch13f
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
Americans can sometimes get easily offended. Over-sensitive I suppose.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I blame the FCC or whatever. In real-life conversation, Americans can be quite profane, at least in the states where I've lived.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I don't have a god, so I can't take its name in vain, goddamnit.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Why is showing one of Janet Jacksons nipples bad... Who knows, its the US! :P

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
People in the US say it ALL the time. I don't know any channels that bleep it out. Oh my God, the use of His name in vain, is the most common phrase used in America. Its really quite annoying.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

It's said a lot here. Thus your statement is false.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God" ,pretty much why.Darth-Caedus
But the rest of the country shouldn't be forced to deal with censorship just because a certain religion doesn't like somthing.

True but people feel offended.
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
...that's ...weird. I never knew they bleeped out "God" in "God damn". Sure, it IS cursing... but you'd think they'd be censoring out every little drop of blood and belly button on TV as well while they're at it...
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darth-Caedus
[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"][QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God" ,pretty much why.cyberdarkkid

True but people feel offended.

I feel offeneded by the censorship, what about me?!:o
MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
There is no such thing as bad words. We made them up. They're just words.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

There is no such thing as bad words. We made them up. They're just words.MotherSuperior
Simplistic explanation. Yes we created words and sounds are assigned but they do have a meaning and some are intended to offend.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

Cause chrisianity is really big here in the US then out in UK.

Dubiosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dubiosity
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts

[QUOTE="MotherSuperior"]There is no such thing as bad words. We made them up. They're just words.LJS9502_basic

That is a simplistic way to explain words. Yes they are assigned but they do have a meaning and some are intended to offend.

I've always felt that people being offended by the words themselves was silly. It's been institutionalized, like Women wearing make-up and not men, pink being a colour for girls and blue for boys, etc. It's only because people are used to things being this way that they still are. Words are just words, don't let it offend you unless the *intent* is there.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#48 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I don't know... but god dammit is one of my most frequently used and favorite swears. If America has a problem with it, they can go **** themselves.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic

I've always felt that people being offended by the words themselves was silly. It's been institutionalized, like Women wearing make-up and not men, pink being a colour for girls and blue for boys, etc. It's only because people are used to things being this way that they still are. Words are just words, don't let it offend you unless the *intent* is there.Dubiosity
Some words are intended to offend. That is why they are created. As time goes on the words may lose meaning but intent is intent.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Goddamn, I say it all the time...