Why is it so hard to not feed the trolls?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

So I just read GS's review of Ralph Wrecks the Internet, and there was a part in the review about how the movie tries to deliver a message of not feeding the trolls because it's not very wise advice as it doesn't really work. And I got to think... it actually DOES work. If you don't feed the trolls, they stop trolling you. It's like bullies in real life. Ignore them, their interest in you wanes. But honestly, not feeding the trolls doesn't really work... when no one does it.

So, why do you think it's so hard to ignore trolls?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@JustPlainLucas:

It depends on the victim's temperament. If you have a bad temper, then you'll easily get enticed to feed the troll. But if you have great temperament, then it should be easy to shrug it off and realize that it's beneath you. That's really all it takes when you get right down to it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because you're as bored as them

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Just report them to us and move on. That's what we're here for.

-Byshop

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@JustPlainLucas:

People who feed trolls normally don’t realise they’re doing it. Thats the whole point of trolling.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#6 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I don't.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

It's very easy to not feed troll. All you need to do is leave the internet :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

the only trolls i feed are the funny ones, the funny trolls are harmless. i ignore /report the other trolls whose only intention is to harass and bully others

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Is it really trolling if everyone is doing it?

ZzzAmiibozzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZzzAmiibozzZ
Member since 2018 • 27 Posts

Dai, ditch the cult. Call your man instead of stalking him

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

A lot of people take the bait from trolls all the time. I mean look at System Wars for example.

ZzzAmiibozzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZzzAmiibozzZ

@AcidTango:

True but that all in good fun. Now imagines REAL LIFE TROLLS. Lmfao!!! How pathetic is that? Believe it er not but it DOES happen.

Avatar image for asnakeneverdies
asnakeneverdies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 asnakeneverdies
Member since 2016 • 3765 Posts

Methinks it would be unwise to neglect them until we've attained a thorough understanding of their role in the ecosystem. ?

ZzzAmiibozzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZzzAmiibozzZ

@asnakeneverdies:

Sounds cultish.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#16 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@JustPlainLucas:

It depends on the victim's temperament. If you have a bad temper, then you'll easily get enticed to feed the troll. But if you have great temperament, then it should be easy to shrug it off and realize that it's beneath you. That's really all it takes when you get right down to it.

It's interesting, because conversing with someone on the internet isn't the same as a face to face interaction. Face to face, you have almost no chance of catching yourself when you respond to someone who upset you, but on the net, even in the act of typing, you should be aware of your anger and then at least take a second to calm down before you hit the submit button. You always have that one moment before. That rarely happens in person.

@mistervulpes said:

@JustPlainLucas:

People who feed trolls normally don’t realise they’re doing it. Thats the whole point of trolling.

Yeah, there are the artful trolls that are great at that. Hard to ignore those types.

@livingdeadman said:

I found a way to calm a troll down by first calling them a "buffoon". It isn't too harsh a word like "asshole" but it helps the troll realize their errors because you basically teach them that what they do for a living is what a clown does for money. I then show them pity, because they are victims themselves who need help. They either stop trolling or don't reply at all after being taught a lesson.

Would you call them a buffoon or say they're acting like a buffoon? It's interesting that calling anyone gentler names would calm them down. But yes, I do agree with helping someone who is acting out like that. I wish more people would make that effort.

@zzzamiibozzz said:

Dai, ditch the cult. Call your man instead of stalking him

What exactly are you on, by the way?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

So I just read GS's review of Ralph Wrecks the Internet, and there was a part in the review about how the movie tries to deliver a message of not feeding the trolls because it's not very wise advice as it doesn't really work. And I got to think... it actually DOES work. If you don't feed the trolls, they stop trolling you. It's like bullies in real life. Ignore them, their interest in you wanes. But honestly, not feeding the trolls doesn't really work... when no one does it.

So, why do you think it's so hard to ignore trolls?

Well, you're correct. But the thing is, sometimes people WANT to feed the trolls. When you don't want to feed the trolls, sure it's easy not to feed them. But when you do want to feed them, it's hard not to feed them. But then it's not really a problem since you're getting what you want.

I think a bigger issue is recognizing trolls in the first place. Some of them are really obvious and stupid about trolling, but some of them are a lot smarter about it. To the point where you don't even realize that they ARE trolls until you've already been feeding them for a while. Those are the kinds of trolls that get fed by people who don't WANT to feed them. And the whole "don't feed the trolls" thing doesn't really work with them since they try to hide the fact that they're actually trolls.

But yeah...you engage with the people who you want to engage with. If you know that someone's a troll and you're still talking to them, then I don't know what to tell you. If you know that the person is a troll and you still keep on feeding them, then that's your decision.

ZzzAmiibozzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZzzAmiibozzZ

Do u think they regret harassing him?

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

It's really not hard at all bro.

No one is entitled to your response or attention.

ZzzAmiibozzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZzzAmiibozzZ

Many wonder why adults troll and stalk irl. It happens, tho