Why is everything so superficial in American society?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Your theory is PoF? That's just about the trashiest dating site there is.

Also, you are taking online dating way too seriously. Everyone is guilty of being superficial on there.

My theory is based upon common sense, experience, and years of observation. What I posted was just an experiment - you're the one taking it too seriously lol, it proves exactly what I said it does. You can pretend women don't care about money, but as a fellow male, I'm telling you that you're going to have an easier time meeting women if you make more money. That's just how life is. Deny it all you want, but you're denying something that's more or less commonly known by everyone.

And there are probably a dozen more trashier dating sites, I can list them if you want. There are all types of women on PoF, it's a decent way to gauge how much attention someone is capable of getting from females, even if the attention is only on the most superficial level.

I never said they don't care about money; everyone cares about money. You're the one that said they care about it above all else, which I disagree with.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#52  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Also, you are taking online dating way too seriously. Everyone is guilty of being superficial on there.

You can pretend women don't care about money, but as a fellow male, I'm telling you that you're going to have an easier time meeting women if you make more money.

Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with that unless it crosses over into gold digger territory. It's perfectly reasonable to desire financial security.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

I never said they don't care about money; everyone cares about money. You're the one that said they care about it above all else, which I disagree with.

Everyone cares about money, but not to the same degree. Many women will ignore just about every aspect of a man if they don't have a job. We can agree to disagree on that point. Maybe you've met tons of women who seek out men who lack jobs, I've never met such a woman.

Men typically don't ignore women for that same reason, they usually see that as an opportunity to prove their own worth. I'd date a girl who's going to college and has no job, I've done it before. On the flipside: I've never met a girl, or even heard of a girl, who works a lot of hours and is partners with a guy who doesn't work but goes to college. It's so uncommon that it's practically unheard of.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with that unless it crosses over into gold digger territory. It's perfectly reasonable to desire financial security.

I agree, but my very point is that many women always prefer more financial security as opposed to less, and that's a sign of superficiality. There's more to life than money, you know? As long as you're at least getting by...

How many old rich men do we see dating young beautiful women? Do you know any breathtakingly beautiful women that are with men who have little to no financial success? If many women didn't care about money above all else, I'm sure there'd much less of a blatant trend.

Yes, I'm aware the superficiality flies in all directions. Guys are just as superficial, if not more superficial than woman. I'm not pointing fingers exclusively at women, it just so happens that the argument picked out was related to my statement on many American women. The majority of guys care about looks similarly to how women care about money. I'm not going to lie on behalf of males - majority of men filter their relationships based on looks. Some guys even hold more respect for guys that can date more beautiful women. I'm not one of those guys, but I'm just saying it's a blatant aspect of society that you'd have to be oblivious to ignore - similarly to how you'd have to be oblivious to not see how girls commonly prefer men who offer more financial security.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@donquixote: You're generalizing dude

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#56 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@GreySeal9 said:

There's more to life than money, you know?

You might wanna tell that to the oil companies, I don't think they got the memo. =P

grathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 grathan
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts

American people more than any other society believe in what they do. They do it without question. There are many who are set up to skim and work at exploiting this nature, which leaves them with nothing, but the spirit never dies.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Perhaps you should find a philosophy group so you can discuss these big topics rather then the small talk most engage in.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

It's because you're all selfish pricks.

If i would live there i'd kill myself

i wish you did sometimes, get tired of your bashing of Americans, a nation of over 300 million people as diverse as any country in the world. Strange how people actually think they can stereotype a country with immense population AND diversity.

That being said yes, there are plenty of superficial people I've met in this country. I'm not one of them. Our country is a land of plenty so they CAN cater to most anything including plenty that is superficial. Most countries don't have that luxury.

Basically, the rich county I live in the U.S. seems to be full of people with just 3 things in mind for life before they die: Working, partying, fucking .....but many would suggest thats not a bad approach, and this county, with a nice college town, is full of hot women for sure. So, not much to complain about.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Rephrased it, but my point still stands. Many women (most?) dig money and good jobs above all else.

Want to test my theory? Make a PoF account and give yourself any prestigious profession, I promise you will receive infinite amounts of attention. Make the same PoF account but change the job to "cart pusher", then compare the amount of women who want to meet you.

P.S. I've already tested this before, so you don't need to, but I can tell you the results if you can't take a guess...

Hell - you can test this on a personal level. Any guy who has been on enough dates knows how much further a date will go if you offer to pay for the entirety of it versus never offering to pay at all. Girls generally don't like equality - they much prefer to be taken care of, because there are men who will take care of them. Women who insist on paying their half and being a completely individual are much harder to find. If what I was saying weren't true, rich guys would have a much more difficult time finding women, but they have no difficulty at all. Rich guys typically have more choices of women than they know what to do with, whereas a poor guy would have a much harder time gaining attention from a woman.

To be fair, men are just as superficial on PoF. There's no doubt that a profile with a hot looking woman will certainly draw more messages from horny men than a profile with a fat and ugly woman.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@TC, first off; you'd have to define "deep" so that we could discuss reasons behind lack of it. i know many folks who keep blabbering philosophical crap on their FB posts (for an instance) and yet they too fall into another level of shallowness when one gets to know them better. all the shit you see on FB is people's way to impress one another. there's absolutely no thinking behind any of these; whether it being pictures of their cars or quotes by some philosopher.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@glitter said:

It's the very reason I am ready to go to an afterlife immediately, if one does exist. But I am going to be stuck on this terrible planet for a few decades instead, unable to express myself or at least not fully.

If you're ready right now, why wait? Why even tell us that? I think you're full of shit and you're just trying to be edgy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

It's because you're all selfish pricks.

If i would live there i'd kill myself

This forum is full of America hating trolls. How pathetic.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

You turn into an adult and you lose your innocence as a child.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#67 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

@donquixote: I have ruminated over this very question, for quite some time now. I have asked many people, from many different walks of life, and of various different ages, and cultures. I have posed this question to males and females alike. Here is the Truth, and it will be hard for some people to accept (the Truth of any matter usually is) but it is the Truth and it is irrefutable - the Truth of the matter is this: that the vast, vast majority of people sucking wind right now are essentially morons. They harbor shallow, moron thoughts, they value ridiculous, moron things, they make thoughtless, moron actions, they live unenlightened, moron lives and it makes itself manifest in the superficiality that you witness all around you, each and every day.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@glitter said:

It's the very reason I am ready to go to an afterlife immediately,

So why don't you go right now?

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

I have no interest in this thread. Mostly because I do not know what superficial means, and I have zero interest in looking it up because this thread isn't worth the time and effort for me to do that.

That sentence was dangerously close to a run-on, but whatevs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

@Master_Live: That's not an option.

picklesurprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By picklesurprise
Member since 2013 • 185 Posts

@67gt500 said:

@donquixote: I have ruminated over this very question, for quite some time now. I have asked many people, from many different walks of life, and of various different ages, and cultures. I have posed this question to males and females alike. Here is the Truth, and it will be hard for some people to accept (the Truth of any matter usually is) but it is the Truth and it is irrefutable - the Truth of the matter is this: that the vast, vast majority of people sucking wind right now are essentially morons. They harbor shallow, moron thoughts, they value ridiculous, moron things, they make thoughtless, moron actions, they live unenlightened, moron lives and it makes itself manifest in the superficiality that you witness all around you, each and every day.

I like this post.

Avatar image for supersmashtater
supersmashtater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By supersmashtater
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Woo HOO misanthrope time!

There's the world that exists outside our bodies, the environment, culture, society, animals, and other people and...

There's the world we perceive through our experiences, thoughts, perceptions, and collections of preconceived notions of how the world works. How you view the world really doesn't depend on how the world actually is but what you see through your own eyes. Your outlook may change for example if you find places where you are surrounded by non-shallow, deep thinking, intellectuals who work hard to improve themselves and this world which will take searching but they are definitely out there!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#73 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Literally, there's nothing more important to an American woman than how much money you make - how you treat her isn't half as important, as long as you buy her anything she desired.

wow

lol, amazing.

I also think someone got caught buying into the Hollywood America mentality. Do you know, @donquixote, how tiny Hollywood actually is and how big America really is? Do you really know?

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 DonQuixote
Member since 2013 • 126 Posts

@musicalmac: No I am not... this is a fair point. I know how big America is.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I take enormous pride in my lack of depth. Unless your going to make a living out of staring into the void that is humanity analysing it, singing about it, writing poetry or books about it, why even both being so bothered by it.

Live and let live.

Stop judging the air headed vacuous blondes with coke habits talking about shoes and start enjoying them for what they are. They dont feel embarrassed for themselves...why should you. If anything I would argue they are probably having a lot more fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

You know this isn't exclusive to the US

Not exlusive. But the most prominent. Pretty much a norm.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

@donquixote said:

@LJS9502_basic: Is this your way of apologizing?

No. I'm just telling you how you appear....

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I personally find stupidity much less irritating than pseudo intellectualism. Half of the people on this forum pride themselves on being smart and "deep" but a substantial number of them moan about how their social lives are lacking and their love life is non existent. Perhaps its because you consider your peers to be inferior and not worth the time of day that you end up in this position of loneliness if the first place.

Can anyone tell me what is so inherently wrong with being superficial?

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By DonQuixote

@always_explicit: This isn't pseudo anything... I am telling it as it is. Also that idea about being lonely do to feeling superior is misguided. There are truths to be known about this world regarding what brings about human well being. Obviously there are a lot of answers we don't have yet... but if I know a lot more about you (not saying that I do) about these things, AND you reject them when presented to you due to being foolish... obviously we will be too distant to bond and both of us could end up lonely.

Being superficial isn't always bad... but largely being superficial I think is bad. Why? It prevents genuine, deep and sincere relationships... and that is inherently good for us since we are social creatures that thrive in healthy social environments.

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DonQuixote

@LJS9502_basic: I accept your apology.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#81 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's not an issue exclusive to America. Last time I checked, make up is sold in other parts of the world, too

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@donquixote:

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#83 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

@donquixote said:

@lamprey263: Yeah people get attracted to fake personas... and on some level they must know that... they like that because many people can't face anything real and intense. Being delusional is easier. Those people who constantly do that aren't showing the depth of their character... if they even have any. We can't achieve intimacy and meaningful relationships being like that.

In a sense though most people project a false sense of themselves, or if not false a limited or slice of their personality. People do it when their behavior changes with respect to their family, friends, their job, with strangers, when they're around certain groups of people. Rarely do I find people behave consistent toward everybody.

People do it though for a reason. Psychologically people probably do it because it brings some kind of reward with regard to social behavior. I don't think people do it just to do it, people do it to seek the same kind of social rewards that everybody want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts
@airshocker said:

@glitter said:

It's the very reason I am ready to go to an afterlife immediately, if one does exist. But I am going to be stuck on this terrible planet for a few decades instead, unable to express myself or at least not fully.

If you're ready right now, why wait? Why even tell us that? I think you're full of shit and you're just trying to be edgy.

I'm not ready literally, I would be if I did not have anything to lose out of it and it was actually that simple. I apologize for the original comment for this thread and I deleted it, I did not expect a mean response like this; I guess I need to be more careful yet again.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

I'm completely superficial but I do share your hatred of enemy windmills.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

@KHAndAnime:

Yeah, Tony Montana had America figured out.

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

The same reason as other societies.

USA is more superficial than other societies.

Such a compelling argument. You, sir, truly are a master debater.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#90  Edited By Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

You can pretend women don't care about money, but as a fellow male, I'm telling you that you're going to have an easier time meeting women if you make more money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@glitter said:

I'm not ready literally, I would be if I did not have anything to lose out of it and it was actually that simple. I apologize for the original comment for this thread and I deleted it, I did not expect a mean response like this; I guess I need to be more careful yet again.

Sorry, if you don't want the truth you shouldn't post on an internet forum where people can be blunt with you.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#92 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Well I live in the USA and I've got to say that many people are like that but then again the majority is called the "ignorant majority" for a reason. I myself am introverted but still social with a small group of people such as family or friends, however I don't like clubs or parties, and don't really drink. The small group of friends I have are people that I can conversations with about anything such as news around the world, politics, philosophy, movies, books, music, society, religion, and all types of topics. I like to think that not everyone here is how you put it and I've been proven correctly. I think it depends on the person you decide to have a conversation with. I have never befriended a superficial person but that might be because those are the people I simply don't care enough for to form a bond with. Then again, my social circle is quite small.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#93 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Glancing through this thread, I can see that people here love to make generalizations about anything and everything.

Here's the answer to this thread:

People in general are superficial (everyone is in one way or another, some people more than others) and idiots are everywhere.

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts
@airshocker said:

The evidence shows that there is nothing after we die.

I believe that when we die it is all over for us, there is nothing more and our decedents will continue the eternal struggle for survival. It's the cycle of life. We die so that others could live.

http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Is%20there%20life%20after%20death.htm

Archeopterist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Archeopterist
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

Interesting thread. I study this kind of stuff, and the OP is right. Many people are extremely superficial and shallow, and this is particularly true in America. One experiment my group has performed involves testing people using fake dating profiles to see their reactions. The results were not surprising: women tend to be more superficial than men with regard to mate selection, and Americans in general scored the most superficial of all (out of about three dozen nations). The hostility toward the OP is a classic reaction by those for whom the topic has hit a nerve... the idea is that they recognize their own superficiality and lack of interpersonal depth, and thus react negatively to anyone who brings up the subject. In contrast, the least superficial groups tended to be people from Asian and Scandinavian countries... and interestingly these nations tend to score the highest on studies of intelligence.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Please look at the age of a thread before responding. It's disruptive to bring an old topic back. Thanks!