Why is Algebra so darn hard???

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SkweebsThePanda
SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SkweebsThePanda
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
alright, so i went into my final exam for freshman algebra today expecting it to be tough. i currently have a c- in the class, and thats with lots of extra credit that i won't even get into. anyways i get to the exam, and every question was hard. i could not get one answer right. i definitely bombed the test, now i am for sure going to be going to summer school. my family is leaving for australia on the 10th of july and now i won't be able to go to that either. did anyone else have trouble in freshman algebra. i think i ded good in english composishion class and histry. im seriously thinking about filing a complaint against the teacher after a few advances he made on me, which were really weird + uncomfortable. i don't know what elset to do. i cant go to summer schoole. so two questions... how did you guys do in algebra and what should i do about the wierd advance my teacher made on me? do you tink reporting it could help my grade?
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
That sucks man......guess you won't be seeing any kangaroo's lately.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

What kind of algebra? I'm unfarmiliar with the American system, but I think its quite easy. Calculus is when it gets difficult

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts

I love algebra. He's a cool guy who dosnt afraid of enything.

But seriously, could you give me some examples of questions? I'm good atalgebra, but I don't know what you do, since I'm not in the US...

ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ieatnoobs18
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts
We just took some standerized algebra test and it was so hard i almost cried.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
alright, so i went into my final exam for freshman algebra today expecting it to be tough. i currently have a c- in the class, and thats with lots of extra credit that i won't even get into. anyways i get to the exam, and every question was hard. i could not get one answer right. i definitely bombed the test, now i am for sure going to be going to summer school. my family is leaving for australia on the 10th of july and now i won't be able to go to that either. did anyone else have trouble in freshman algebra. i think i ded good in english composishion class and histry. im seriously thinking about filing a complaint against the teacher after a few advances he made on me, which were really weird + uncomfortable. i don't know what elset to do. i cant go to summer schoole. so two questions... how did you guys do in algebra and what should i do about the wierd advance my teacher made on me? do you tink reporting it could help my grade? SkweebsThePanda
Algebra as in? what kinds of questions?
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

You should have studied more.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Because Math in general sucks.

I've never enjoyed Math. I've tried to get along with numbers but they just don't like me so I've chosen a career that will keep me as far away from Math as is humanly possible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 105506
Member since 2004 • 5285 Posts

Paying attention in class is the key to success my mate

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _en1gma_

I've never enjoyed Math. I've tried to get along with numbers but they just don't like me so I've chosen a career that will keep me as far away from Math as is humanly possible.

The_Game21x

I love math. :)

SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SkweebsThePanda
i guess i shouldve studyd more but i waso focesed on my english test that i did not have time for algebra i tried to cram. the night before but we went out for dinner to the chop hose for my brothers birthday so i studied in the car. so i really did not have time to study for the test
Avatar image for deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
deactivated-605ba7fd6332a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
Member since 2005 • 12039 Posts

Reporting should probably be done if it makes you feel uncomfortable but it probably won't do anything to help your grade.

Anyways, lots of things are difficult when you learn them for the first time. That said, linear Algebra is when it gets hard . . .

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 carrot-cake

i guess i shouldve studyd more but i waso focesed on my english test that i did not have time for algebra i tried to cram. the night before but we went out for dinner to the chop hose for my brothers birthday so i studied in the car. so i really did not have time to study for the testSkweebsThePanda

Examples please?

SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SkweebsThePanda
the thing is i want to be a computer engineer and make movies animations andi think i need to know math to be good at that stuff u know? maybe ill talk to my teacher he was always fond of me so it might go a long weays to have a talk to him tomorrow after school.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
I find it relatively easy and fun. Needs a lot of work when you get into Diffrentiation and Integration.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _en1gma_

i guess i shouldve studyd more but i waso focesed on my english test that i did not have time for algebra i tried to cram. the night before but we went out for dinner to the chop hose for my brothers birthday so i studied in the car. so i really did not have time to study for the testSkweebsThePanda

Then make time.

What kind of algebra problems?

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 super_mario_128
I find it relatively easy and fun. Needs a lot of work when you get into Diffrentiation and Integration.dramaybaz
They're both easy though. -_-
SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SkweebsThePanda
i had to graph something like 3x +9 =0 and 5y+9 = 19. i had no idea how to graph when they did not even give me coordinates you know. and the rest were like quadrantic equations but i always forget the quadrantic formula so i could not do them/. then i had to factor but i forgot how to foil that thing. i should have studied but i had no time at all to study for it
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

_en1gma_

I love math. :)

I tried to love math...but...it's abusive. Always shutting me out and lashing out at me for no reason...

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _en1gma_

the thing is i want to be a computer engineer and make movies animations andi think i need to know math to be good at that stuff u know? maybe ill talk to my teacher he was always fond of me so it might go a long weays to have a talk to him tomorrow after school.SkweebsThePanda

You really need to get these basic algebraic skills ingrained then. The later math courses you will have to take in college for a comp engineering degree will require these basic skills. And they will be some tough courses man...much tougher than what you see here.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _en1gma_

i had to graph something like 3x +9 =0 and 5y+9 = 19. i had no idea how to graph when they did not even give me coordinates you know. and the rest were like quadrantic equations but i always forget the quadrantic formula so i could not do them/. then i had to factor but i forgot how to foil that thing. i should have studied but i had no time at all to study for itSkweebsThePanda

Oh come on man there is always time, that is just an excuse.

If you ever need help, I can help you btw just ask

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 carrot-cake

[QUOTE="dramaybaz"]I find it relatively easy and fun. Needs a lot of work when you get into Diffrentiation and Integration.super_mario_128

Hey integration can be difficult. Especially rates of change :(

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I sure hope you passed the English test, but based on your typing I doubt it... I don't think people should use this forum as an advanced English course or anything, but you spelled mad words badly. WTH is a ded? I'm sure you meant did though. I hope that's just your personal Internet slang and not real life spellings.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
If you had a C going into the test then it's not surprising that you struggled. It seems unfair, but the higher grade you have usually the better you are at the subject which will cause you to do better on the final. People generally struggle in subjects they don't enjoy. Hope you did better in your other subjects.
ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ieatnoobs18
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts
i had to graph something like 3x +9 =0 and 5y+9 = 19. i had no idea how to graph when they did not even give me coordinates you know. and the rest were like quadrantic equations but i always forget the quadrantic formula so i could not do them/. then i had to factor but i forgot how to foil that thing. i should have studied but i had no time at all to study for itSkweebsThePanda
Im in 8th grade and thats easy stuff for us.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 super_mario_128

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="dramaybaz"]I find it relatively easy and fun. Needs a lot of work when you get into Diffrentiation and Integration.carrot-cake

I have no idea what that is. I've just learnt integration, and integrating between limits. >_>

SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SkweebsThePanda
im being so serious the guy practically tried to invite me into his car... if i told the principal this would i be able to say he made me feel uncomfortable and maybe bump myu grade up? ever since that day the class has been so hard to concentrate it.. i never want to study because i jsut hink about that day and it really bothers me.
nolsinkler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 nolsinkler
Member since 2004 • 1031 Posts

Math is sweet, and Algebra is sweet. Algebra is pretty basic, really.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="dramaybaz"]I find it relatively easy and fun. Needs a lot of work when you get into Diffrentiation and Integration.super_mario_128

Fundamentally yes. It's applications, proofs, and devil professors that are challenging. :(

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"] They're both easy though. -_-super_mario_128

I have no idea what that is. I've just learnt integration, and integrating between limits. >_>

Wait for differential equations. That's a fun course. :)

You are in Calc 1 I am assuming?

Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

I have no idea what this is. I've just learnt integration, and integrating between limits. >_>

Trust me, integration gets hard soon enough. It'll start to make your head spin. Eventually Calculus just turns into learning different integration methods. Because differentiation is easy as hell, but integration can get monster hard.

SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SkweebsThePanda
i had gotten an 84 in geometry in 8th grade andi dont know why it is so hard for me in 9th grade at algebra. and i did fine in english test i passed it.
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

[QUOTE="SkweebsThePanda"]i had to graph something like 3x +9 =0 and 5y+9 = 19. i had no idea how to graph when they did not even give me coordinates you know. and the rest were like quadrantic equations but i always forget the quadrantic formula so i could not do them/. then i had to factor but i forgot how to foil that thing. i should have studied but i had no time at all to study for itieatnoobs18

I'm in my 3rd year of college now and haven't needed a Math course yet and I don't know how to answer that anymore. I haven't taken a true math course in 4 years. Closest thing to Math which basically math I've taken so far was physics and I love physics, but I wouldn't be able to answer that question any more. When I was in 8th grade I was able to answer it though.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _en1gma_

im being so serious the guy practically tried to invite me into his car... if i told the principal this would i be able to say he made me feel uncomfortable and maybe bump myu grade up? ever since that day the class has been so hard to concentrate it.. i never want to study because i jsut hink about that day and it really bothers me.SkweebsThePanda

If you felt violated, then report it. Do NOT bring grades into it though.

Also, take school seriously.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
Sometimes it's the teacher. I did pretty well in high school math, but when I got to college I really struggled even though I had already learned the stuff a few years earlier.
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
[QUOTE="SkweebsThePanda"]i had gotten an 84 in geometry in 8th grade andi dont know why it is so hard for me in 9th grade at algebra. and i did fine in english test i passed it.

Sometimes things just take a while to "click". I had similar problems in grade 10. I did grade 10 math and finished with about a 65%, then I re-took it and got a 94%. Hang in there, it'll click for you soon enough.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dramaybaz

Not for TC, they won't be !!!
savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
i'm in the advanced algebra 2 class at my school and im failing. poor me :(
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"][QUOTE="SkweebsThePanda"]i had to graph something like 3x +9 =0 and 5y+9 = 19. i had no idea how to graph when they did not even give me coordinates you know. and the rest were like quadrantic equations but i always forget the quadrantic formula so i could not do them/. then i had to factor but i forgot how to foil that thing. i should have studied but i had no time at all to study for itbigblunt537

I'm in my 3rd year of college now and haven't needed a Math course yet and I don't know how to answer that anymore. I haven't taken a true math course in 4 years. Closest thing to Math which basically math I've taken so far was physics and I love physics, but I wouldn't be able to answer that question any more. When I was in 8th grade I was able to answer it though.

A one minute lesson on that and you should be able to answer those without problems.. lol

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 super_mario_128

_en1gma_

No, I'm on the UK's system. >_>

SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SkweebsThePanda

[QUOTE="SkweebsThePanda"]im being so serious the guy practically tried to invite me into his car... if i told the principal this would i be able to say he made me feel uncomfortable and maybe bump myu grade up? ever since that day the class has been so hard to concentrate it.. i never want to study because i jsut hink about that day and it really bothers me._en1gma_

[/QUOTE look why not report it... it effected my study of the class since i hated studying for the class and thinking about the stupid class. dont sound liek you are btter than anybody else because you get good grades. this is the INTERNET NOOB. ]
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
oh c'mon thats 8th grade stuff...
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 _en1gma_

Sometimes it's the teacher. I did pretty well in high school math, but when I got to college I really struggled even though I had already learned the stuff a few years earlier.blackngold29

Generally speaking (and depending on college and major), math courses are much more intensive in college than high school.

SkweebsThePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SkweebsThePanda
most of you guys that make fun of me will pay one day.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dramaybaz

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Hmm what level are you talking here?

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"]

[QUOTE="SkweebsThePanda"]im being so serious the guy practically tried to invite me into his car... if i told the principal this would i be able to say he made me feel uncomfortable and maybe bump myu grade up? ever since that day the class has been so hard to concentrate it.. i never want to study because i jsut hink about that day and it really bothers me.SkweebsThePanda

look why not report it... it effected my study of the class since i hated studying for the class and thinking about the stupid class. dont sound liek you are btter than anybody else because you get good grades. this is the INTERNET NOOB.

If you bring grades into it when you report him, it will seem like you are making up stories or exaggerating to help your grade. Think about it man. It's common sense.

And to be honest, it's making me not believe your story when you hope it will raise your grade for which you are personally responsible

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 super_mario_128

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

dramaybaz

Hmm what level are you talking here?

Like I said above, I live in Britain, so I'm not doing the same courses as you guys. :P

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"]

super_mario_128

No, I'm on the UK's system. >_>

Explain how that works?

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
i'm in the advanced algebra 2 class at my school and im failing. poor me :(savetehhaloz
I passed Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 (all Honors courses) with really high As. I'm going into Honors Trig next semester.