Why do people seem to hate people who have Asperger's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

I do not have this condition, but I know people who did back in high school, and they were absolutely tormented by the other students, even if their way of acting was really no different than anybody else. It seems like no matter what these kids did, if they were shy or outgoing, upbeat or not, they were always absolutely hated by just about everyone else. What are your thoughts?

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

There was this kid is Aspergers at my high school and he was one of the worst human beings I have ever met. He was a pathological liar saying sh*t like he plays guitar with slash and had this super hot girlfriend in Seattle. He was also constantly racist and made fun of Jews, Hispanics, and blacks. The kid was just horrible.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
That's why Chief keef so crazy
Chickity_China

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Chickity_China
Member since 2007 • 2322 Posts

I swear I bumped into someone with that today. I was just walking with my headphones on and he stopped me in from of a dorm and said something like, "Do you - comp lab.... where... comp... lab - comp...lab...".

I just sort of blew him off, lol now I feel guilty.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
Haven't noticed that occurrence....but why do people hate on anyone?
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
The school I go to is really cool in a lot of ways. It's a small school and if someone has aspergers,is gay or even has social anxiety like me you almost don't get bullied at all. It's a school mostly for kids who need help graduating high school so kind of a misfit school I guess. But just a great environment.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

There was this kid is Aspergers at my high school and he was one of the worst human beings I have ever met. He was a pathological liar saying sh*t like he plays guitar with slash and had this super hot girlfriend in Seattle. He was also constantly racist and made fun of Jews, Hispanics, and blacks. The kid was just horrible.

MacBoomStick
People can be labled with "aspergers" for a lot of reasons. I'll put it this way, some people have a hard time understanding others emotions and other people simply don't care about other people. It's good to distinguish between these types of people.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Dickheads gonna be dickheads?

InEMplease
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
but why do people hate on anyone?LJS9502_basic
Because humans will be humans.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I think it's because people tend to think they're just child who lack discipline, and are ignorant on the symptoms of autism.

Though to be fair I do think Autism, and autistic type diseases are over diagnosed simply because parents want something to label the way their child is acting.

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
well personnally for me i hate them because their different from me and also their just really stupid and look at their damn faces they always look hilarius
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts
I'm on the spectrum and I was bullied a lot when I was younger. Young males with AS almost aways get bullied because at that age people view you as weird rather than eccentric. Bullies tend to target people who appear to them as slightly off. Often I can pass as a nuerotypical. But have to make a lot of calculations every time I talk to people face to face. I cannot make direct eye contact and fully process all the speech at the same time. Direct eye contact clouds out my auditory input due to the intense visual and emotional stimulation. I am very single channeled. So I look at the nose, but I also need to know when to stop so I don't get precived as aggressive. I also need to figure out how to posture and position myself correctly. Basically social norms suck, and they seem to be all that adolescents care about.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Maybe they should go on a diet.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
TC, are you talking about the kids who REALLY have Asperger's, or the kids who just look up a list of symptoms on the internet, say "that sounds like me", and then go around saying that they have Asperger's as an excuse for being socially awkward?
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

goddamn aspies

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I do not have this condition, but I know people who did back in high school, and they were absolutely tormented by the other students, even if their way of acting was really no different than anybody else. It seems like no matter what these kids did, if they were shy or outgoing, upbeat or not, they were always absolutely hated by just about everyone else. What are your thoughts?

the_plan_man

The question is, why didn't you help them out?

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RushKing

I think it's because people tend to think they're just child who lack discipline, and are ignorant on the symptoms of autism.

Though to be fair I do think Autism, and autistic type diseases are over diagnosed simply because parents want something to label the way their child is acting.

Fightingfan
Autism is a neurological difference, not a disease.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#20 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I'm on the spectrum and I was bullied a lot when I was younger. Young males with AS almost aways get bullied because at that age people view you as weird rather than eccentric. Bullies tend to target people who appear to them as slightly off. Often I can pass as a nuerotypical. But have to make a lot of calculations every time I talk to people face to face. I cannot make direct eye contact and fully process all the speech at the same time. Direct eye contact clouds out my auditory input due to the intense visual and emotional stimulation. I am very single channeled. So I look at the nose, but I also need to know when to stop so I don't get precived as aggressive. I also need to figure out how to posture and position myself correctly. Basically social norms suck, and they seem to be all that adolescents care about.RushKing
That stinks. I've gotten pretty good at looking people in the eyes just because it's necessary for interviews and whatnot. I can't imagine what it would be like to look people in their eyes and you can't even remember what they were saying. What do you mean by calculations, just wondering?

2 of my brothers has Asperger's. There was one group of kids who were mean to one a couple of times, but that's just because they were jerks.

At first I didn't think they were really that different, but growing up with them dilludes me some I guess. I can see now that they are both pretty awful at social interactions, although they both have a few close friends.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I know it was fvcking depressing when I saw one girl who showed symptoms of aspergers get bully constantly when I was in H.S. She was EXTREMELY quiet, sort of how I was. But when she started talking, it was almost always a train wreck. Many people would throw sh!t at her, try to get her to talk so they could make fun of her tripping and stumbling over her words, she wore glasses so they would take those glasses and play keep away or hide them, and a whole lot of other things. Definitely sad to see her crying in the hallway. I'd occasionally try to cheer her up, give her some of my money when some of those dick heads stole her. I think she committed suicide by stepping in front of a bus one day though...
manjam2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 manjam2
Member since 2011 • 108 Posts

I have aspergers. I guess people dislike us sometimes because we can appear to be rude or childish.Luckily I'm able to recgonize when I'm about to say something totally messed up and stop myself.

It's also really hard to fit in because we don't have the social skills to mix with certain groups. Even on online forums like this, I'm the quiet one because I don't seem to fit in too well with any of the groups of people.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RushKing

[QUOTE="RushKing"]I'm on the spectrum and I was bullied a lot when I was younger. Young males with AS almost aways get bullied because at that age people view you as weird rather than eccentric. Bullies tend to target people who appear to them as slightly off. Often I can pass as a nuerotypical. But have to make a lot of calculations every time I talk to people face to face. I cannot make direct eye contact and fully process all the speech at the same time. Direct eye contact clouds out my auditory input due to the intense visual and emotional stimulation. I am very single channeled. So I look at the nose, but I also need to know when to stop so I don't get precived as aggressive. I also need to figure out how to posture and position myself correctly. Basically social norms suck, and they seem to be all that adolescents care about.cain006

That stinks. I've gotten pretty good at looking people in the eyes just because it's necessary for interviews and whatnot. I can't imagine what it would be like to look people in their eyes and you can't even remember what they were saying. What do you mean by calculations, just wondering?

I need to know which direction to look away and how long while I improvise responses, because even nose level is often too close for thinking out responses. I heard looking down when talking to a female means you are frustrated with her. Or that looking to the sides too many times makes you look shifty and dishonest.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

I do not have this condition, but I know people who did back in high school, and they were absolutely tormented by the other students, even if their way of acting was really no different than anybody else.It seems like no matter what these kids did, if they were shy or outgoing,upbeat or not, they were always absolutely hated by just about everyone else. What are your thoughts?

the_plan_man

So you're saying there were these kids, who said(or it was assumed) they have aspergers.
However they acted "no different than anyone else", and it happened regardless of how shy/outgoing they were.

How do you know these kids had aspergers, and why do you assume that was the reason why?

ZX81plus3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZX81plus3
Member since 2012 • 181 Posts
One of my best mates has it and if you hate on them then your a pathetic loser. Get a life.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

This seems pretty obvious to me: many people hate on people that they percieve as "different".

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Hmm, well I know one person who has it

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

people are soulless nowadays

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

They don't hate just people who have Asperger. People tend to be very cliquish and hate those who are different than them or those who don't belong to their group and historically this has also been the case.

Also people have historically and today hated immigrants. So people really hate a lot of things.

People like and feel most comfortable around others most like them while tending to reject those who look foreign to them. It is a basic acquired ancient human evolutionary survival trait. This is human nature.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
Culturally perpetuated stereotypes. Stigma surrounding the mentally ill (or perhaps gifted in the case of aspergers)
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

RushKing

Autism is a neurological difference, not a disease.

Bad word choice, but since biological and neurological manifestations of Autism are present in the brain, such as an underdeveloped frontal lobe, it would classify as a neurological disorder, rather than a pathological disease.

Though by superfical definitions it's a disease.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

people are soulless nowadays

CKYguy25
Sounds about right.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Because society is sh*t nowadays. I usually try and befriend people who have things like that.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Because many people, whether they legitimately have it or not, use it as an excuse to act like a dick.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Seeming never helped anybody.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Because society is sh*t nowadays. I usually try and befriend people who have things like that.

kingkong0124
Society would burn you with lava if you said that in the 20s.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
because the internet allows them to be really, really annoying.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I havent seen any people with ASpergers that are specifically targeted because they have Aspergers. They may have odd behavior and perhaps that it was draws the ire of their fellow students. People seem to pick on things that are different from what they are accustomed to.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

KiIIyou
Society would burn you with lava if you said that in the 20s.

True.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I'm on the spectrumRushKing

That explains quite a bit.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Because they're different, it's that simple. Being different makes you stand out and makes you more open to "hating".

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
I have some friends with Aspergers, they're pretty awesome. In the end, I don't hate anyone for having that condition, but I dislike when people use it as an excuse after harassing others. One guy just flat out harassed the crap out of me on the bus, asking me all these tremendously discomforting and inappropriate questions, and when I kept making him aware that he was really making me uncomfortable, he kept on until I raised my voice and swore at him, where he said I was the jerk for not respecting that he had aspergers (and apparently couldn't understand "You're making me very uncomfortable, please stop talking to me" the three times i said it), and I get all sorts of mean looks on the rest of the trip home. It's like...no, it isn't difficult to learn social cues if you have it. it isn't that difficult to learn what is appropriate to say and what isn't appropriate to say in public.