why do people hate lawyers so much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I don't get the hate, can someone explain this to me.
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
I don't hate them...But I can see where someone who had a family member murdered and hated the lawyer defending the murderer...
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lonelynight
I don't hate them...But I can see where someone who had a family member murdered and hated the lawyer defending the murderer...3eyedrazorback
isn't it necessary to have a lawyer to defend people who has been accused of crime, I thought they are provided by the state if the accused can't afford his/her own lawyer.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Because Divorce

Also Law and Order

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

because they speak a different language and complicate the law (something that shouldnt be complicated in any real democracy)

lawyers shouldnt really exist, the law should be simple enough for any reasonable minded person to navigate. 

still wanna be one though

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
Mr. Farhat Abbas came to mind
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lonelynight

because they speak a different language and complicate the law (something that shouldnt be complicated in any real democracy)

lawyers shouldnt really exist, the law should be simple enough for any reasonable minded person to navigate. 

BossPerson
give an example.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

Lonelynight
give an example.

is it not obvious? try reading your cell phone contract
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
For the same reason that they hate mercenaries
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
My father works with lawyers. He's not a fan of them because they're always working with some sort of an agenda in mind, so being 'just friends' with one of them is sometimes difficult. Their pay is also, IMO, grossly inflated.
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

BossPerson

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#12 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I think it's because lawyers defend people who know are guilty of crimes just to get paid. :(

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
many reasons, some are incompetent in providing their legal services, some expect them to be miracle workers, they cost good money, people don't always like the results or people are sometimes at the receiving end of lawsuits, or victims of someones crimes can't seek justice because the defendant exercised their constitutional rights to a lawyer lots of reasons
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I think it's because lawyers defend people who know are guilty of crimes just to get paid. :(

CyberLips
Or, you know, it's their job to defend their client?
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
The evil relatives run the Immigration Project of Los Angeles and see between 30-60 clients a day, and usually help clients for free or a max of $100. They fill out tons of paperwork, put packets together, get visas and green cards, etc. There have even been articles in the Times about them, since they've been doing the immigration law thing for like 40 years. I don't think they get much hate.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Because they smell like avocados.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#17 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
[QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"]I don't hate them...But I can see where someone who had a family member murdered and hated the lawyer defending the murderer...Lonelynight
isn't it necessary to have a lawyer to defend people who has been accused of crime, I thought they are provided by the state if the accused can't afford his/her own lawyer.

Yes but there are some cases where its just ridiculously obvious that the person tried is indeed the killer and the lawyer still makes an inhuman effort to let him walk.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lonelynight

CyberLips
but they also defend innocent people who are falsely accused of a crime.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"]I don't hate them...But I can see where someone who had a family member murdered and hated the lawyer defending the murderer...lightleggy

Yes but there are some cases where its just ridiculously obvious that the person tried is indeed the killer and the lawyer still makes an inhuman effort to let him walk.

but that's just a few lawyers.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lightleggy
[QUOTE="CyberLips"]

drinkerofjuice

Its still no justification. Lets say a lawyer gets hired by a serial rapist and its really obvious that he is guilty, and hell the rapist could even confess some of his crimes to the lawyer, and the lawyer would still try to defend him and let him walk free. thats disgusting and it shouldn't be defended in any way.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"]I don't hate them...But I can see where someone who had a family member murdered and hated the lawyer defending the murderer...lightleggy

lets not forget it works the other way sometimes
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lightleggy
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] isn't it necessary to have a lawyer to defend people who has been accused of crime, I thought they are provided by the state if the accused can't afford his/her own lawyer.

but that's just a few lawyers.

That's not just a few lawyers, pretty much every defense attorney is there, even when there are tons of evidence against their client they still go cloak and dagger on him.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight
[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"][QUOTE="CyberLips"]

lightleggy

Its still no justification. Lets say a lawyer gets hired by a serial rapist and its really obvious that he is guilty, and hell the rapist could even confess some of his crimes to the lawyer, and the lawyer would still try to defend him and let him walk free. thats disgusting and it shouldn't be defended in any way.

somebody has to defend him/her.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
A lot of the reason already listed here should have given you your answer. Its really not one thing, its all of it. People who get sued will hate lawyers, doctors, businessmen, ordinary people, anyone. Some lawyers help bad people get off. I think its mainly the first scernario though.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Because that's his job. Everyone has a right to have someone advocate on their behalf no matter how much it may bother the shitheads sitting at home watching Nancy Grace.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Because they profit from others misfortune
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

Maybe because theyre expensive, and they assist in complicating laws/rules and regulations, often manipulating the English language in such a way that you may find yourself having your own words used against you. Some of them look at their job as if its a game... often competing against other lawyers who are actually their friends.later taking your hard earned money and spending it on a weekend golfing expedition while lauging and conversing about the cases they fought against each other on.

People shouldnt have to go through such extreme financing and headaches just to get their point/story across. The justice system is not only blind but vindictive, especially for a person who has no court room experience, or the funds to hire a decent lawyer. Free lawyers/Legal Aids do not always give you their best efforts, plus many of them are rookies themselves.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Its still no justification. Lets say a lawyer gets hired by a serial rapist and its really obvious that he is guilty, and hell the rapist could even confess some of his crimes to the lawyer, and the lawyer would still try to defend him and let him walk free. thats disgusting and it shouldn't be defended in any way.

Sure that should be defended. If it's "that obvious" that the person is guilty, then the prosecution shouldn't have any problem destroying the defense. The person still needs to be defended, though.
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] isn't it necessary to have a lawyer to defend people who has been accused of crime, I thought they are provided by the state if the accused can't afford his/her own lawyer. worlock77

Because that's his job. Everyone has a right to have someone advocate on their behalf no matter how much it may bother the shitheads sitting at home watching Nancy Grace.

Your right. But the question isnt should people hate lawyers. Its why, and that is the reason why, like it or not.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worlock77

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Its still no justification. Lets say a lawyer gets hired by a serial rapist and its really obvious that he is guilty, and hell the rapist could even confess some of his crimes to the lawyer, and the lawyer would still try to defend him and let him walk free. thats disgusting and it shouldn't be defended in any way.MrGeezer
Sure that should be defended. If it's "that obvious" that the person is guilty, then the prosecution shouldn't have any problem destroying the defense. The person still needs to be defended, though.

Nah, f*ck Constitutional rights.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] Yes but there are some cases where its just ridiculously obvious that the person tried is indeed the killer and the lawyer still makes an inhuman effort to let him walk.Ugalde-

Your right. But the question isnt should people hate lawyers. Its why, and that is the reason why, like it or not.

And I'm responding to a specific post, not the original question.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

lightleggy

He's the defense lawyer to make sure the guy is getting a fair trial. It doesn't mean he's trying to defend the guy for real.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

BossPerson
Because everyone out there is a reasonably minded person.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

lightleggy

In Canada, that is not the case. If the criminal confess to the crime they must report it or they face jail time.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

i don't hate them, i was actually considering being a lawyer at one point

CursedChamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CursedChamp
Member since 2013 • 485 Posts
I guess from their bad experiences with lawyers.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Concerning the complex language, unfortunately, it is an unavoidable problem.

For the same reason that they hate mercenariesMannyDelgado
This is definitely it.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Because

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

The real reason people dislike lawyers is because they will do whatever it takes to win the case against you no matter the consequences to your life.  They don't care if your a good person, innocent, will be financially devastated, or sent to jail---they just want to win and will do what it takes. 

If you've ever set across from an attorney who was on the opposing team you will know exactly what I mean. 

There are attorneys you wont hate and those are the ones that are on your side.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
The Trouble with Lawyers.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

They make money off other peoples miseries.  They wouldn't be so bad if they actually tried to IMPROVE the system, but they jsut make it worse.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 worlock77

The real reason people dislike lawyers is because they will do whatever it takes to win the case against you no matter the consequences to your life.  They don't care if your a good person, innocent, will be financially devastated, or sent to jail---they just want to win and will do what it takes. 

If you've ever set across from an attorney who was on the opposing team you will know exactly what I mean. 

There are attorneys you wont hate and those are the ones that are on your side.

junglist101

Yup, an attorney's job is to advocate on behalf of their client and win their case if at all possible.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
ITT: the bulk of a lawyer's work is litigation and criminal trials
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"] Or, you know, it's their job to defend their client?Communist_Soul

In Canada, that is not the case. If the criminal confess to the crime they must report it or they face jail time.

no
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

I don't know either. Everyone has a right to be defended. You are after all, innocent until proven guilty.