why do people hate classic rap ???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 newhenpal
Member since 2005 • 2159 Posts

Not today's rap, everyone hates that.Anyways why do so many hate it, is it because you can't understand the slang? (not a good reason to HATE an entire GENRE) maybe they talk a little faster?( listen upa little, you'll get used to it) the general themes are usually the same(ghetto) admittedly, but they talk about many different things such as depression, parties, violence, neglect, love, incest, hate. Seriously, I think either criticizers see today's awful rappers on mtv(why are they watching mtv in the first place if they think its awful????) and think its all the same( ignorance, pure ignorance) Ill admit I don't listen to many other genres of music but when I do and I don't like a certain song I won't think its all the same, by the way I've listened too classics like Jimi Hendrix, isley bros., Elvis, some jazz, some country and I've liked some of it. So is there any REAL reason why people hate rap?

P.S. my sig does not reflect my feelings on rap, I just use it to go against the'R4P == CWAAP LOL' sigs

schoeffmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 schoeffmaster
Member since 2005 • 10674 Posts
I dont need a reason to hate things...I just do...and heres a cookie :)
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
I just like the sound of rock and jazz much better the rap...it just sounds 'right' to me...
tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts
I listen to alotta classic rap
Avatar image for DisturbedChild7
DisturbedChild7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DisturbedChild7
Member since 2005 • 3753 Posts
i thought a lot more people liked classic rap. i just dont like it because it just doesnt float my boat
babyjesus87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 babyjesus87
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts

Better question:

Why do people like rap?

newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 newhenpal

i thought a lot more people liked classic rap. i just dont like it because it just doesnt float my boatDisturbedChild7

I can respect that, any reason why?

ShadowSlaya91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 ShadowSlaya91
Member since 2005 • 7190 Posts
Listen to BlackStar all you rap haters..Thou shalt be pwned.
DisturbedChild7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DisturbedChild7

[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"]i thought a lot more people liked classic rap. i just dont like it because it just doesnt float my boatnewhenpal

i think most of it is really repetitive, and a lot of times their voices sound bad to me

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
I don't....
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Apocalypse33
Member since 2006 • 19413 Posts
[QUOTE="newhenpal"]

[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"]i thought a lot more people liked classic rap. i just dont like it because it just doesnt float my boatDisturbedChild7

i think most of it is really repetitive, and a lot of times their voices sound bad to me

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx might solve that problem, not classic rap but from the golden age and a classic album
DisturbedChild7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DisturbedChild7
[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"][QUOTE="newhenpal"]

[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"]i thought a lot more people liked classic rap. i just dont like it because it just doesnt float my boatApocalypse33

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx might solve that problem, not classic rap but from the golden age and a classic album

ill give that a listen and see what i think

cliff122316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cliff122316
Member since 2005 • 2333 Posts
while we are here...did anybody see the ad for 2k8 football (or whatever the game with the legends of football is) with rakim. he still spits fire in it. the R is the best
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Apocalypse33
[QUOTE="Apocalypse33"][QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"][QUOTE="newhenpal"]

[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"]i thought a lot more people liked classic rap. i just dont like it because it just doesnt float my boatDisturbedChild7

and if that is a little too hardcore for you(sometimes i dont know what Rae is talking about but its still great) try

Nas - Illmatic, i dont think there is a single person who has listened to this album and disliked it

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

It's because they don't understand it, duh.

Anyways, there are rap albums that do gain a lot of critical praise. Take for instance, Rollingstone's top 500 album list where Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is ranked as the 48th best album of all-time. They ranked it higher than Led Zeppelin's IV, Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key Life, Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland, Pink Floyd's The Wall, etc. etc. etc.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time

cliff122316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cliff122316
Member since 2005 • 2333 Posts

Alot of music preference IMO has to due with influence from other people(friends, family, media, etc..)

WHen i was younger i heard from numerous of people hating on rap and rappers, saying all it is is swearing and stuff, so immidatly i thought o rap must suck.

But after listening to 2pac i realised that rap was more than swearing and violence, that there was messages that were relevent to life, and i also like the energetic flow and beats that it has.

I dunno i can say all i listen to is rap, most of it is from the 90's. I dont care for rappers who just rap about money, girls, pimpin, etcc.. i like listening to the itelligent stories, and messages thatrappers portrait , like 2pac,ice cube, scarface, nas, etc

I can see how alot of people dont like it, it just isnt their style.

Mkavanaugh77

pac is the fakest rapper ever. in real life everyone says he was a punk, a thug, and a bad person. he couldnt even deal on his own so he hung around with thugs all the time for rep.

then he sings songs about how much he loves his momma and how we should respect women and people eat it up. he raps totally different from his life. its so fake. i find it disgusting

Skaterfool99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Skaterfool99
Member since 2004 • 12731 Posts
i think its b/c most of it sounds the same.
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Apocalypse33

It's because they don't understand it, duh.

Anyways, there are rap albums that do gain a lot of critical praise. Take for instance, Rollingstone's top 500 album list where Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is ranked as the 48th best album of all-time. They ranked it higher than Led Zeppelin's IV, Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key Life, Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland, Pink Floyd's The Wall, etc. etc. etc.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time

Orlando_Magic
Em's first 3 albums are on that list too :wink:
DisturbedChild7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DisturbedChild7
[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"][QUOTE="Apocalypse33"][QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"][QUOTE="newhenpal"]

[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"]i thought a lot more people liked classic rap. i just dont like it because it just doesnt float my boatApocalypse33

and if that is a little too hardcore for you(sometimes i dont know what Rae is talking about but its still great) try

Nas - Illmatic, i dont think there is a single person who has listened to this album and disliked it

I didnt really like Raekwon, but the Nas stuff isnt that bad, not my first choice in music, but decent

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts
I like the Beastie Boys, NWA, and Public Enemy. Do they count?
tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts
[QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"][QUOTE="Apocalypse33"][QUOTE="DisturbedChild7"][QUOTE="newhenpal"]

Exactly. Ive never heard anyone say they didint like illmatic.. even if they werent rap fans

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

I just dont like it, I dont agree with the whole life style, I dont like the way they dress, I dont like their ideology, and I cant stand the beats, they just seem some repettitive and annoying. I dont need that, I'll just stick towards metal and hard rock.

DisturbedChild7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DisturbedChild7

I just dont like it, I dont agree with the whole life style, I dont like the way they dress, I dont like their ideology, and I cant stand the beats, they just seem some repettitive and annoying. I dont need that, I'll just stick towards metal and hard rock.

tzar3

while i am a fan of metal and hard rock, you have to admit a lot of that is repetitive as well

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
[QUOTE="tzar3"]

DisturbedChild7

while i am a fan of metal and hard rock, you have to admit a lot of that is repetitive as well

Perhaps but when I get bored of listening to rock and metal I listen to other genres such as blues, classical, rockabilly/psychobilly, goth, punkand other genres that interest me. I rather listen to country and bluegrass than rap. The only rap group I like is the Beastie Boys.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
I don't hate it.
newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 newhenpal
by classic rap I mean anything before 2000 and some gems after 2000 are GOOD modern rap.