Why do people defend cops?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Every cop I have ever met has been helpful and respectful towards me. Cops have to deal with life's crappiest situations on a daily basis so of course there are going to be instances where police officers cross the line or plain old break the law. Thinking all cops are bad because of these incidents though is no different than thinking all teachers are child molesters because a few end up sleeping with students. I'm in a Criminology program at University, and a sizable percentage of my class mates want to become police officers. Everyone I've talked to has been a decent person who just wants to help people, or have a meaningful career, not some thug looking to beat up poor people.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

@airshocker said:

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

Not really. We are held quite accountable. Not only by the media, but by our own departments. I know plenty of guys put on administrative duty because they fvcked up.

You get exactly what you deserve from the Police. People who are respectful to me get respect back. People who aren't, don't.

Well cops get administrative leave for murder and for beating people, not really held as accountable as a regular person.

But they do a necessary duty.

Administrative leave happens regardless. If the facts of an incident are in question they're not going to get suspended right on the spot. Innocent until proven guilty, amirite? A suspension w/o pay will only happen if there's incontrovertible proof that the police officer did something wrong.

The punishment scales with the crime committed. Cops go to jail just like everybody else. Just because some mope on GameSpot thinks something is murder doesn't make it so. I honestly believe there are very few instances where a cop gets away with something if it's been through the media. Just because the PD doesn't air its dirty laundry doesn't mean nothing happened.

They really aren't held as accountable though. There are plenty of cases where cops get paid vacation, for killing someone without a reason or for beating someone.

And there are plenty of corrupt places where cops get away with most things.

Its pretty easy to see if a cop is formally charged with something (they usually aren't)

I don't think that's the case. Obviously I can't speak for every cop but I would be willing to bet that in most lethal force incidents the cop(s) had a reason. Whether that reason is justifiable(remember, all I have to prove is that my action was justified) is another thing entirely.

Obviously corruption will exist in places where there is little oversight. Not sure how that can be fixed, or held against Police Officers as a whole, when it's the civilian populace that can CHOOSE to create that oversight.

Being formally charged is not the same as being kicked out of the PD. You don't normally hear about cops losing their jobs for the very reason that I stated before.

Well that's one of the problems, it easy for cops to justify things.

Well civilians can't really create oversight that easily in really corrupt places.

Well yeah the PD might kick someone out for something really bad (usually they just get paid leave though), but that's usually the end they usually aren't charged with a crime like a normal person would be in the same circumstances.

I wouldn't be a good cop if I couldn't justify my actions.

That's not the community of police officers fault. I'm not sure why I'm being judged because there are corrupt places out there. Judge me on my actions, not the actions of others.

Again, you might only hear about paid leave. As I've said, the department doesn't really let it be known that a police officer was fired.

No I'm saying that deadly force is usually to easy to justify, just a couple of days ago there was a story about a guy sitting in a chair with a knife. He stood up then didn't move at all, the cops shot him and said he was moving in a threatening manner, luckily there is a video of it happening so its not just the cops word against the guy that got shot.

If cops just had to wear video cameras during their job it would be a lot easier to hold them accountable, because if there are no cameras its the cops words against some other guys and the cop's word is usually gonna win.

Well its more of a systematic problem, cops protect each other when they can making them have a lot better chance of getting off for something.

I'm not talking about paid leave or firings, I'm talking about criminal charges which usual don't occur or if they do they are shorter then if a normal person did the same thing.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Good fucking god, I can't believe people are actually taking this thread seriously.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

@xdude85 said:

Good fucking god, I can't believe people are actually taking this thread seriously.

Hey, nothin' wrong with trying to talk some legitimate sense into people. Sometimes they need it.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Looks like somebody just got their first speeding ticket!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Some people think every cop is bad because thats all they show on stupid media.....

other thing cops are in high risk job, SHIT happens,

I highly do believe we should increase punishment for the ones that true corrupted not mistakes.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts

@xdude85 said:

Me either

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

Not really. We are held quite accountable. Not only by the media, but by our own departments. I know plenty of guys put on administrative duty because they fvcked up.

You get exactly what you deserve from the Police. People who are respectful to me get respect back. People who aren't, don't.

Well cops get administrative leave for murder and for beating people, not really held as accountable as a regular person.

But they do a necessary duty.

Administrative leave happens regardless. If the facts of an incident are in question they're not going to get suspended right on the spot. Innocent until proven guilty, amirite? A suspension w/o pay will only happen if there's incontrovertible proof that the police officer did something wrong.

The punishment scales with the crime committed. Cops go to jail just like everybody else. Just because some mope on GameSpot thinks something is murder doesn't make it so. I honestly believe there are very few instances where a cop gets away with something if it's been through the media. Just because the PD doesn't air its dirty laundry doesn't mean nothing happened.

They really aren't held as accountable though. There are plenty of cases where cops get paid vacation, for killing someone without a reason or for beating someone.

And there are plenty of corrupt places where cops get away with most things.

Its pretty easy to see if a cop is formally charged with something (they usually aren't)

I don't think that's the case. Obviously I can't speak for every cop but I would be willing to bet that in most lethal force incidents the cop(s) had a reason. Whether that reason is justifiable(remember, all I have to prove is that my action was justified) is another thing entirely.

Obviously corruption will exist in places where there is little oversight. Not sure how that can be fixed, or held against Police Officers as a whole, when it's the civilian populace that can CHOOSE to create that oversight.

Being formally charged is not the same as being kicked out of the PD. You don't normally hear about cops losing their jobs for the very reason that I stated before.

Well that's one of the problems, it easy for cops to justify things.

Well civilians can't really create oversight that easily in really corrupt places.

Well yeah the PD might kick someone out for something really bad (usually they just get paid leave though), but that's usually the end they usually aren't charged with a crime like a normal person would be in the same circumstances.

That's not the community of police officers fault. I'm not sure why I'm being judged because there are corrupt places out there. Judge me on my actions, not the actions of others.

Again, you might only hear about paid leave. As I've said, the department doesn't really let it be known that a police officer was fired.

No I'm saying that deadly force is usually to easy to justify, just a couple of days ago there was a story about a guy sitting in a chair with a knife. He stood up then didn't move at all, the cops shot him and said he was moving in a threatening manner, luckily there is a video of it happening so its not just the cops word against the guy that got shot.

If cops just had to wear video cameras during their job it would be a lot easier to hold them accountable, because if there are no cameras its the cops words against some other guys and the cop's word is usually gonna win.

Well its more of a systematic problem, cops protect each other when they can making them have a lot better chance of getting off for something.

I'm not talking about paid leave or firings, I'm talking about criminal charges which usual don't occur or if they do they are shorter then if a normal person did the same thing.

Not everything is a crime.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@FuggaJ said:

@lostrib said:

@FuggaJ said:

@lostrib said:

@FuggaJ said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Because not everybody is stuck in an angst teenage state where they see the good guys as bad.

Grow up.

I'm sorry we couldn't have talked when you were at your best than.

wth?

The world is built for angsty impressionable teenagers. Not old bucks stuck in their ways, putting progress on the back burner to keep things the way they are. Boom! Pass of the baton of global responsibility and we'll show you how to wreck this earth much faster than the geezers in charge.

wth are you trying to say

It's not cryptic, dud. He put down angst ridden teenagers, saying he is no longer stuck in that state of mind, I referenced this period of his life as his best. Then you asked wth? so I took it a step further and said angsty teens could run the world better than its being ran today.

No, teenagers are probably the most stupid age group. Yes, I would put them below children in terms of intelligence and judgement. Teenagers think they know everything about how the world works and what's right and wrong, but reality is they have no idea at all. Yes, I can speak from experience, because I was there, and teens are foolish and idealistic without any ability to look into why things are the way they are.

This thread is a perfect example where somebody who thinks they know how the world works oversimplifies things and vilifies the good guys.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

I totally agree that some police forces have little accountability. the RCMP is a great example. we have no need for a national police force what so ever, never mind one that's protected by the crown.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#61 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Man, it's so easy to be the tough guy on the internet.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Because cops defend people.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Not all cops are jackasses.

im willing to bet, most cops are not jackasses and are cool guys. and ive dealt with jackass cops. got arrested and fucked over by them.

but its the fact that when it comes to the media, the bad cops will always get a bigger spotlight than the good cops. its better for ratings to talk about how a cop abused his powers, than it is to talk about how a cop did his job correctly.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@lostrib said:

@junglist101 said:

The problem with the police is that they tend to treat everyone as if they are the bad guy. They have a 'them vs us' attitude. A majority of them are on power trips and unlike what airshocker says they aren't held accountable for the real problem which is they act like assholes on a regular basis. And this logic where people say that the stuff that gets recorded is rare is fucking nonsense. There are thousands of videos of cops acting like assholes or criminals themselves with new videos every single week if not every single day. Those sorts of videos should be exceedingly rare but are all too common. And those are just the ones that end up on tape...

Okay, then please show the data that proves "a majority of them are on power trips" and that a majority aren't held accountable, or that the majority act like assholes on a regular basis

Eh, it's pretty much common knowledge with anyone who has dealt with them. At least in SoCal...

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@junglist101 said:

Eh, it's pretty much common knowledge with anyone who has dealt with them. At least in SoCal...

Common knowledge is often wrong.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@FuggaJ said:

@lostrib said:

@FuggaJ said:

@lostrib said:

@FuggaJ said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Because not everybody is stuck in an angst teenage state where they see the good guys as bad.

Grow up.

wth?

The world is built for angsty impressionable teenagers. Not old bucks stuck in their ways, putting progress on the back burner to keep things the way they are. Boom! Pass of the baton of global responsibility and we'll show you how to wreck this earth much faster than the geezers in charge.

It's not cryptic, dud. He put down angst ridden teenagers, saying he is no longer stuck in that state of mind, I referenced this period of his life as his best. Then you asked wth? so I took it a step further and said angsty teens could run the world better than its being ran today.

No, teenagers are probably the most stupid age group. Yes, I would put them below children in terms of intelligence and judgement.Teenagers think they know everything about how the world works and what's right and wrong, but reality is they have no idea at all. Yes, I can speak from experience, because I was there, and teens are foolish and idealistic without any ability to look into why things are the way they are.

This thread is a perfect example where somebody who thinks they know how the world works oversimplifies things and vilifies the good guys.

Below children? When have you ever had an intelligent conversation with a child?

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@airshocker said:

People who are respectful to me get respect back. People who aren't, don't.

Translation: "People who cower in submission before me may receive a small measure of mercy. Others won't."

:P

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

I hate how people excuse cops for co-worker's actions.

When cops are making cases against a group of people, many usually are not the actual perpetrators of the crime, but accessories; and people who knew but chose not to report it, because in doing so they aided the criminals.

However when police commit crimes, or other egregious acts, the members of the force who keep to their "blue wall of silence" are for some reason excused from aiding the criminal.

It's quite the double standard, but hey, it supports the police, so the police will continue on doing it.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Quite frankly it is astonishing that we don't have far far far more significant incidents.

Perhaps we do.

Perhaps it's just that most of the people who witness the incidents don't live to tell about them. :(

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

@airshocker said:

How the hell does that work? You don't continue to be respectful if someone isn't to you? If you're in public service, how is it allowable that my attitude determines yours? That's the entire point in my view, and the entire potential danger behind someone who abuses their power.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

@Jimn_tonic said:

I totally agree that some police forces have little accountability. the RCMP is a great example. we have no need for a national police force what so ever, never mind one that's protected by the crown.

Uhg, are you being serious? Basically every nation on the planet has a national police force, why wouldn't Canada have one? You do realize that the RCMP polices every community that can't or won't support their own police force right? Disbanding the RCMP would effectively leave every province besides Ontario and Quebec, and hundreds of communities across Canada without a police force. And what do you mean "protected by the crown"? The law still applies to the RCMP, even if they are part of the federal government. Also, how is the RCMP not held accountable? The RCMP have an external review committee that reviews any case or complaint that deals with a serious injury or death, or where officers have acted inappropriately. You can't realistically get more accountable than that.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Not all cops are bad. But still,

**** them all.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

people tend to blame cops for the law they're enforcing while it's the law makers who deserve that hatred. cops are not there to justify what they're doing.in fact they should indeed hide and suppress their personal judgments for if they show any signs of uncertainty towards what they do, it will make the whole situation even more complicated than it really is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Considering my grandpa, uncle and father were all good cops. I can safely say that all cops are not bad cops. Bad cops are in the minority.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

How the hell does that work? You don't continue to be respectful if someone isn't to you? If you're in public service, how is it allowable that my attitude determines yours? That's the entire point in my view, and the entire potential danger behind someone who abuses their power.

Why would someone who is engaged with a simple request for "license and registration please" during a traffic stop respond in kind with "what the **** are you stopping me for?" in a derisive tone? The simple response of "no problem officer" or a simple "yes sir" would go a long way in diffusing a somewhat stupid situation caused by the person who caused a stop to begin with. People get stopped for the smallest of reasons, most often, due to lack of maintenance of their vehicle. A simple little license plate light is enough to get someone pulled over. There are so many things that people can do to not gain the interest in law enforcement, yet they fail to do those little things.

Anecdote time: I once ran a red light in front of a cop due to the light I was watching was not the one I ran. I ran the one that was 70 feet in front of the one I was watching (one way streets). I pulled over, gave the officer my paperwork, asked if I could get a drink from my cooler in the bed of my truck (slider window). Cop told me he knew I knew I screwed up and said if I came back clean, I could leave with just a verbal warning to watch where I was going. I didn't get a ticket and treated respectfully due to having a clean background as well as treating the cop respectfully. It isn't hard.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I don't know why people defend police officers who you can actively watch abuse their power via video, but the tc's sweeping generalizations don't hold up, and are really quite insulting.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Nibroc420

@redstorm72 said:

@Jimn_tonic said:

Uhg, are you being serious? Basically every nation on the planet has a national police force, why wouldn't Canada have one? You do realize that the RCMP polices every community that can't or won't support their own police force right? Disbanding the RCMP would effectively leave every province besides Ontario and Quebec, and hundreds of communities across Canada without a police force. And what do you mean "protected by the crown"? The law still applies to the RCMP, even if they are part of the federal government. Also, how is the RCMP not held accountable? The RCMP have an external review committee that reviews any case or complaint that deals with a serious injury or death, or where officers have acted inappropriately. You can't realistically get more accountable than that.

Recently, an RCMP officer from Alberta, was caught drinking on the job, and was using his position to convince his female sub-ordinates to sleep with him.
He did not lose his job, he did not lose one day of pay. They gave him a paid vacation, while they finalized his paperwork to ship him to another detachment, where he would hold the same position.

Yet if the RCMP were to come across any other man who was drunk and carrying a firearm, they would charge him, jail him, and seize the gun as evidence.

Time and time again, police have shown that they aren't all perfect, however that isn't the disturbing part.
What is disturbing is the number of police officers who would've/should've been charged with "Aiding and embedding a criminal", because they've been hiding their co-workers, and failing to do their jobs by arresting them for wrongdoings.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@deeliman said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@FuggaJ said:

@lostrib said:

@FuggaJ said:

@lostrib said:

@FuggaJ said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Grow up.

wth?

No, teenagers are probably the most stupid age group. Yes, I would put them below children in terms of intelligence and judgement.Teenagers think they know everything about how the world works and what's right and wrong, but reality is they have no idea at all. Yes, I can speak from experience, because I was there, and teens are foolish and idealistic without any ability to look into why things are the way they are.

Below children? When have you ever had an intelligent conversation with a child?

Yes, thing is children don't have an attitude where they think they're smarter than adults, where their actions reflect it.

There's a drop in judgement ability in teenage years, that's a better way to put it, than how I originally said it.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch:

There isn't actually a drop in judgement ability, it's just that it hasn't improved yet (mainly due to the frontal cortex not being developed yet), while you would expect a 15 year old to have better judgement. But that doesn't make teenagers stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I would say the main problem I have with the police department are not actual cops.. But the ass covering some will go to uphold the district's reputation, we are seeing this recently with things like Anonymous.. In which the hacker group has actually gone after two rape cases that were broomed under the carpet to protect any damage that may have occurred to someone within the department or the district it self.. When I see stories like this, it makes me question just how many districts out there are guilty of this behavior?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

Why would I show respect to someone who hasn't shown any to me? You're confusing respect as a human being for professionalism. I don't have to respect you to be professional.

Because everywhere else someone's attitude determines how they're going to be treated. Sorry, you aren't a child any more. You're expected to act like an adult. You can start practicing right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Stesilaus said:

@airshocker said:

People who are respectful to me get respect back. People who aren't, don't.

Translation: "People who cower in submission before me may receive a small measure of mercy. Others won't."

:P

You must be pretty shitty at reading the written word if that's what you took away.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Nibroc420

@airshocker said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

Why would I show respect to someone who hasn't shown any to me? You're confusing respect as a human being for professionalism. I don't have to respect you to be professional.

Because everywhere else someone's attitude determines how they're going to be treated. Sorry, you aren't a child any more. You're expected to act like an adult. You can start practicing right now.

Actually, you do have to respect him, he is a fellow citizen.
Why become a police officer, if you hate, and thereby disrespect, every citizen you come in contact with?

I've had police tailgate me, follow me for blocks, and pull me over despite me doing nothing wrong.
What sort of person "deserves" to have law-enforcement drive aggressively behind you, in an attempt to get you to speed, so they can in turn pull you over for speeding?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

Why become a police officer, if you hate, and thereby disrespect, every citizen you come in contact with?

I've had police tailgate me, follow me for blocks, and pull me over despite me doing nothing wrong.

What sort of person "deserves" to have law-enforcement drive aggressively behind you, in an attempt to get you to speed, so they can in turn pull you over for speeding?

Why would you speed when you know there's a cop behind you?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Nibroc420

@MrGeezer said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Why would you speed when you know there's a cop behind you?

I didn't.
I was doing 50 in a 50 zone, and a cop decides to drive 5ft behind me.
It was late, on a road frequented by deer, and he tailgates me for like 2km -.-

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts
@airshocker said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

My question is who starts the showing of respect? A person shouldn't have to be ridiculously polite, deferential and brown-noseish towards a officer just to get some fair treatment. It definitely seems that when you for lack of a better phrase "suck an Officer's d*ck" you do tend to get noticeably better treated.

I've seen cops approach situations with attitudes already. When they start acting accusatory and attitudinal it seems a bit unrealistic to ask for the civilian to continue showing ultimate respect.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

@TacticalDesire said:
@airshocker said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

My question is who starts the showing of respect? A person shouldn't have to be ridiculously polite, deferential and brown-noseish towards a officer just to get some fair treatment. It definitely seems that when you for lack of a better phrase "suck an Officer's d*ck" you do tend to get noticeably better treated.

I've seen cops approach situations with attitudes already. When they start acting accusatory and attitudinal it seems a bit unrealistic to ask for the civilian to continue showing ultimate respect.

Calling a cop sir/ma'am and not being a dick goes a long way. Its not that hard to show a little respect.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

You should however get the same respect back. A lot of cops take the authority thing way too far. They also get special perks as well as their family members that nobody else gets.

My ex father in law was a cop and I must tell you that being with a cops daughter wasn't a bad thing. I even got a special FOP badge put on my license plate so I didn't get pulled over. A couple times when I did get in trouble, he got me right out of it. He showed up to police department and talked to the arresting officer and detective. I got off on what was called "Professional Courtesy".

One time even he was involved in a DUI accident which he caused. He was so drunk that night that he didn't even know his own name or where he even was. He was instantly released after his department talked to the arresting department and the case was dismissed. I had to pick him up from jail when he was drunk as a skunk. Anybody else would have had to sit in jail until they were sober.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

But the "corrupted" polices are just the vocal minority. I am assuming that the media is influencing you to believe that it is true.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 MirkoS77

@WhiteKnight77 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

Why would someone who is engaged with a simple request for "license and registration please" during a traffic stop respond in kind with "what the **** are you stopping me for?" in a derisive tone? The simple response of "no problem officer" or a simple "yes sir" would go a long way in diffusing a somewhat stupid situation caused by the person who caused a stop to begin with. People get stopped for the smallest of reasons, most often, due to lack of maintenance of their vehicle. A simple little license plate light is enough to get someone pulled over. There are so many things that people can do to not gain the interest in law enforcement, yet they fail to do those little things.

Anecdote time: I once ran a red light in front of a cop due to the light I was watching was not the one I ran. I ran the one that was 70 feet in front of the one I was watching (one way streets). I pulled over, gave the officer my paperwork, asked if I could get a drink from my cooler in the bed of my truck (slider window). Cop told me he knew I knew I screwed up and said if I came back clean, I could leave with just a verbal warning to watch where I was going. I didn't get a ticket and treated respectfully due to having a clean background as well as treating the cop respectfully. It isn't hard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating disrespect towards officers. I'm polite and respectful, but only to the extent that it'll save my ass out of a ticket.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#92 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

They're the only line of defense against the mole people.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By MirkoS77

@airshocker said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

A nice personal slight there. I did not even get personal or mean to imply (not my intention if it came off that way anyways), I simply asked a few questions and you apparently took offense and did. Your reply only works to give me a feeling of gratitude I'll not meet you on the job as you seem extremely sensitive and overly defensive here. Take your own advice.

And no, if you are being disrespectful to someone while working you are not acting like a professional as you are in a position of authority. As I said above I'm not advocating disrespect towards the law at all as I think it's self-defeating and believe that the majority of police officers are well-meaning people who genuinely want to make the world a better place and are only doing what's required of them, but I can't agree that you being disrespected should in turn allow disrespect. With the badge off, sure. Then we're all on even ground.

Would you say a judge being disrespectful is tolerable with the power s/he holds? I'd say one of the most important aspects of being in a position of power is to attempt to remove ones personal feelings. I realize that's really easy for me to say and must be a shitty part of the job, but being a cop can be a shitty job as I'm sure you know.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 THE_DRUGGIE

AIRSHOCKER!

Have you had anyone blare the cops theme in your general area?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Depends on the circumstances. Just as not all cops are good....not all are bad. Having a negative opinion about all cops is just as naive as having a positive opinion.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

The genuine ones, who don't blindly follow the rules and don't abuse their power are cool, but then you got the thuggish ones who blindly follow the rules who abuse their power, the corrupted ones who turn a blind eye.

The system is just upside down. A man is always a slave to someone above them.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By THE_DRUGGIE

@LJS9502_basic said:

Depends on the circumstances. Just as not all cops are good....not all are bad. Having a negative opinion about all cops is just as naive as having a positive opinion.

What if we're all cops and don't even know it yet?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@Person0 said:

@airshocker said:

He had a weapon. He stood up which can be considered a threat. Sorry...but if I was on the jury....I would consider that the cops might have felt threatened.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@airshocker said:

A nice personal slight there. I did not even get personal or mean to imply (not my intention if it came off that way anyways), I simply asked a few questions and you apparently took offense and did. Your reply only works to give me a feeling of gratitude I'll not meet you on the job as you seem extremely sensitive and overly defensive here. Take your own advice.

And no, if you are being disrespectful to someone while working you are not acting like a professional as you are in a position of authority. As I said above I'm not advocating disrespect towards the law at all as I think it's self-defeating and believe that the majority of police officers are well-meaning people who genuinely want to make the world a better place and are only doing what's required of them, but I can't agree that you being disrespected should in turn allow disrespect. With the badge off, sure. Then we're all on even ground.

Would you say a judge being disrespectful is tolerable with the power s/he holds? I'd say one of the most important aspects of being in a position of power is to attempt to remove ones personal feelings. I realize that's really easy for me to say and must be a shitty part of the job, but being a cop can be a shitty job as I'm sure you know.

You sounded like a petulant child in your first post. Which is why I said something.

I don't care if somebody disrespects the law. I care when someone disrespects me. Once they do that it's fair game. You, or anybody else, doesn't get to treat me like shit just because I'm doing my job. If you, or anybody else, wants to attempt to do so I'm not going to take it. No where in my job description does it say I'm required to be a customer service agent.

Sure. Because there are some very disrespectful people out there and they deserve a taste of their own medicine. That case where the girl basically said fvck you to the judge and the judge put her in contempt for 30 days? I love it.

You're right, it's very easy for you to try and tell me how to act when you don't do my kind of work. My personal feelings happen to be very much in line with enforcing the law. There are only a few instances where I've disagreed with a law and decided to be lenient with someone. Taking shit from somebody and giving it right back isn't an abuse of power. It's a natural human reaction.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

@FuggaJ: So you judge all police men and women on a few bad eggs? Can you imagine what your country would be like without them? It's cool to act like you hate them all but if they went away, you'd be wishing them back.