Why are large objects referred to as "she's" and not "he's"?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KeitekeTokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KeitekeTokage
Member since 2011 • 770 Posts

This goes for most things from cars, to large vessels, to even planets.

Can someone explain or speculate as to how this could have started?

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Do you have a problem with females or something?

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Because guys usually love those things, and guys usually like girls.

GaussMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GaussMonkey
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

People love their cars, some men would prefer to refer to their car as a she rather than a he.

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

Hmm... good question. Maybe it has somekind of very old religous meaning. Such as how Eve was created from Adam. Where in this case from man (Adam) creates a ship (Eve).

Meh. I don't know. lol.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

People love their cars, some men would prefer to refer to their car as a she rather than a he.

GaussMonkey
Also, for some guys it would be alarming to think that they were inside a guy every time they drove somewhere
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#7 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

They're treated with love and respect, like any good woman.

And also men go inside them.

Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Zeldafan221
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts
Good question... maybe because guys like girls and usually guys call these objects "she?"
-Red-Cell-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Red-Cell-
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

They are almost exclusively built and operated by men, especially in the past, and it would sound g@y to have said "he's a beauty" "I'm sailing him across the Atlantic" etc

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
the "she" are normally use by american slang....... or perhaps influence by the french which some object either masculine or feminine
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

They are almost exclusively built and operated by men, especially in the past, and it would sound g@y to have said "he's a beauty" "I'm sailing him across the Atlantic" etc

-Red-Cell-
Lol. One odd thing, is Gibson Les Paul's... Generally I'd consider the guitar feminine especially in shape, but... Les certainly is a guy.
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
for boats its mostly tradition to name it a female name cause of males sailing without females or so... cars are probably same - the male see it as a female and treat it good not sure what u mean by planets..mars sound pretty masculine to me also depening on which language all subjects can be females or males and it can be different depending on which language
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44639 Posts
you mean inanimate objects like cars, some people might refer to it as a she, because men are possessive, and femininity is submissive in a patriarchal society, anyhow I hear people talk like this in movies but never hear people talk like this in real life
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i think.. it has gone too far in some cases..

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#16 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

VaguelyTagged
O......k..... wow O_O
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
Those vessels are like the womb and the ground aka the earth are refered to as such because of the whole "mother earth" thing
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

VaguelyTagged
im not sure what to say to this....
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

While I don't remember where I've heard this, I believe "large things" like ships, etc are referred to as female because they sustain the life of the crew, not unlike how a mother sustains her infant child.

Smug_Duckling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Smug_Duckling
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

kayoticdreamz
im not sure what to say to this....

Meh. Whatever gets you off, I guess.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44639 Posts

VaguelyTagged
if he gets it pregnant, maybe it'll be a hybrid :P
brendanhunt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 brendanhunt1
Member since 2008 • 2333 Posts

VaguelyTagged

Does he choose top or bottom?

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

VaguelyTagged

"But his wandering eye has spread beyond cars to other vehicles. He says that his most intense sexual experience was "making love" to the helicopter from 1980s TV hit Airwolf."

What..the hell?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
i have a linguistics based answer but when i came in the thread and saw young goku i knew it would not be worth my time
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

i have a linguistics based answer but when i came in the thread and saw young goku i knew it would not be worth my timesurrealnumber5

Oh c'mon! young goku kicks ass. =V

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

KeitekeTokage

I thought all planets were referred to as "it".

i have a linguistics based answer but when i came in the thread and saw young goku i knew it would not be worth my timesurrealnumber5

The silver T would like to hear that answer.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i have a linguistics based answer but when i came in the thread and saw young goku i knew it would not be worth my timeBaconbits2004

more so name/avy recognition than the avy it self
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="KeitekeTokage"]

Teenaged

Not Mother Earth. ;P

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Baconbits2004

[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i have a linguistics based answer but when i came in the thread and saw young goku i knew it would not be worth my timesurrealnumber5

more so name/avy recognition than the avy it self

Oh, alright.
Not familiar with the TC myself.

I'm with Teenaged on wanting to hear your explanation though. :>

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
Because we like Big Booty.....
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
If I had a car, I'd probably name it after how I felt which sex it was. Stubborn, but reliable - female. Fast but sets out at the worst of times, and swallows gas like mad - male. :P And ships are female because the galleon figure is the only female allowed on a ship - old sailor myth.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="KeitekeTokage"]

Teenaged

learned about grammatical genders when learning french but because i dont want to waste my time on a thread where i feel nothing said will be read if you really want to read about it here is a wiki

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Baconbits2004

If I had a car, I'd probably name it after how I felt which sex it was. Stubborn, but reliable - female. Fast but sets out at the worst of times, and swallows gas like mad - male. :P And ships are female because the galleon figure is the only female allowed on a ship - old sailor myth.Deihjan

Has on-board GPS, male.
Fits 8 kds and commonly makes trips to soccer practice... female. >_>

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teenaged

learned about grammatical genders when learning french but because i dont want to waste my time on a thread where i feel nothing said will be read if you really want to read about it here is a wiki

surrealnumber5

I dont understand how that explains the "she"s placed instead of "he"s.

Is it implied from it that those objects carry on the female pronoun because they are of a specific declension cIass? I really dont get it.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 metalkitten
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="KeitekeTokage"]I thought all planets were referred to as "it".

i already mentioned the languages - and not all languages will have masculine on the same objects either also it doesnt make up for the boat fact which is an old sailer thing and as far as i know some ships dont have female names - like cargo ships or ferrys for just cars - while sailing boats and ferrys that carry people will have female names
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 metalkitten
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

Is it implied from it that those objects carry on the female pronoun because they are of a specific declension cIass? I really dont get it.

for example when learning a roman language like spanish, french or portuguese or german (there are more ill just take those i dealt with) all subjects are either male or female (or neutral - depending on language), so lets say a butterfly is in portuguese a borboleta (most words who end with a is feminine) so when putting borboleta in a sentence u need to think of it being female in an kind of bending, also people who has mother tounge as one of those languages will often in english refer to it as a she or he - depending what it is in their language that might explain some but growing up sailing i heard other stories of sailing boats and my countrys language dont use masculine or feminine or objects so the language thing might only be a part of it
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

depends on the language and some nouns can be either or depending on who is using it and how, but the point is, most vehicles are woman as a throwback in their etymology. just a carry over from ships and carts that we still deal with today.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="metalkitten"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

i already mentioned the languages - and not all languages will have masculine on the same objects either also it doesnt make up for the boat fact which is an old sailer thing and as far as i know some ships dont have female names - like cargo ships or ferrys for just cars - while sailing boats and ferrys that carry people will have female names

most cultures with a gender structer do indeed have female inflections on ships.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Teenaged
[QUOTE="metalkitten"] for example when learning a roman language like spanish, french or portuguese or german (there are more ill just take those i dealt with) all subjects are either male or female (or neutral - depending on language), so lets say a butterfly is in portuguese a borboleta (most words who end with a is feminine) so when putting borboleta in a sentence u need to think of it being female in an kind of bending, also people who has mother tounge as one of those languages will often in english refer to it as a she or he - depending what it is in their language that might explain some but growing up sailing i heard other stories of sailing boats and my countrys language dont use masculine or feminine or objects so the language thing might only be a part of it

Doesnt that only explain the "mistakes" foreign people make when learning English? That they "transfer" familiar rules over to the language they are learning. [QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] depends on the language and some nouns can be either or depending on who is using it and how, but the point is, most vehicles are woman as a throwback in their etymology. just a carry over from ships and carts that we still deal with today.

Ah right. That those words once had a grammatical gender. That makes sense but to me personally it makes more sense that it is just an association of those words with other female notions (like "mother") or stereotypical female characteristics, like metalkitten explained.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="metalkitten"] for example when learning a roman language like spanish, french or portuguese or german (there are more ill just take those i dealt with) all subjects are either male or female (or neutral - depending on language), so lets say a butterfly is in portuguese a borboleta (most words who end with a is feminine) so when putting borboleta in a sentence u need to think of it being female in an kind of bending, also people who has mother tounge as one of those languages will often in english refer to it as a she or he - depending what it is in their language that might explain some but growing up sailing i heard other stories of sailing boats and my countrys language dont use masculine or feminine or objects so the language thing might only be a part of itTeenaged
Doesnt that only explain the "mistakes" foreign people make when learning English? That they "transfer" familiar rules over to the language they are learning.
depends on the language and some nouns can be either or depending on who is using it and how, but the point is, most vehicles are woman as a throwback in their etymology. just a carry over from ships and carts that we still deal with today.surrealnumber5
Ah right. That those words once had a grammatical gender. That makes sense but to me personally it makes more sense that it is just an association of those words with other female notions (like "mother") or stereotypical female characteristics, like metalkitten explained.

in french, the way it was taught to me, most nouns were assigned their sex based on how they were used, if they were submissive or not

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I have no idea why. I use 'it' since when it is an inanimate object.
svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

It's because men refer to women as objects, and in return, to objects as women.

[spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 surrealnumber5

It's because men refer to women as objects, and in return, to objects as women.

svenus97

Mr. Treehorn

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
because boats, cars etc.. are possessions.. like women :P
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 metalkitten

[QUOTE="metalkitten"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] learned about grammatical genders when learning french but because i dont want to waste my time on a thread where i feel nothing said will be read if you really want to read about it here is a wiki

surrealnumber5

most cultures with a gender structer do indeed have female inflections on ships.

i hate to point it out to u but boat is actually masculine in french... same with portuguese and spanish, feminine in italian though

and yes TEENAGED ure right about how it mostly just explain how the ones born with the language may refer to the english word as a she or he cause theyre so used to it being that - my bf who is portuguese do it all the time - and i go- oh so thats a he or she then?:P apart from that he's excellent in english though

i do belive more in the old ship story about sailmen etc i was only trying to explain the languages who use the male and female objects and how it works

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
She's a thing of beauty, historically more emphasized than he.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]If I had a car, I'd probably name it after how I felt which sex it was. Stubborn, but reliable - female. Fast but sets out at the worst of times, and swallows gas like mad - male. :P And ships are female because the galleon figure is the only female allowed on a ship - old sailor myth.Baconbits2004

Has on-board GPS, male.
Fits 8 kds and commonly makes trips to soccer practice... female. >_>

KeitekeTokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KeitekeTokage
Member since 2011 • 770 Posts
Don't worry, I'm not interested another round of your mental masturbation I can get you a cookie if it would make you feel better though? And it seems some people do care what you have to say, so that's a good thing right? You're going to do great things someday surrealnumber5, keep your chin up! :)
artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
Because english is just weird like that. Though honestly I don't remember ever having much trouble getting used to the lack of gender in objects.