Why are Apple products so expensive?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RJay123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RJay123
Member since 2009 • 911 Posts

I notice that their laptops are never under $999 when I see them at stores. Yet other laptops with the same specs or better are usually in the $400-$800 range?

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Because people will pay the money.
Avatar image for twitchingzombie
twitchingzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 twitchingzombie
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

because they know everyone will buy it since it looks so nice :roll:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178878 Posts
Because people are willing to pay that much.....
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts

Apple likes to make people poor.

Communistik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Communistik
Member since 2010 • 774 Posts
Better things cost more money.
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

Brand name. People will buy Apple products in general (especially iPods/iPhones) because of the social attributes the brand brings ...

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
Because they feel the features they put into Mac is enough to warrant the cost. It isn't in my opinion....
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Because its shiny
observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 observer77
Member since 2009 • 1647 Posts

I would go with people will pay anything for the aesthetics.

C3Le5tiaL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 C3Le5tiaL
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts

Because of the Apple on them. In all reality that is why.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
Better things cost more money.Communistik
Better in what way?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Better things cost more money.Communistik
Better is subjective.
sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

apple products are always sleek and smexy + they have awesome features like that unbeatable ipod nano touch sensitive round scroll thingy

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Because it looks cool.

Communistik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Communistik
[QUOTE="Communistik"]Better things cost more money.McJugga
Better in what way?

Every way.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Apple innovates and innovation costs money.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="McJugga"][QUOTE="Communistik"]Better things cost more money.Communistik
Better in what way?

Every way.

Care to explain?

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Brand name. People will buy Apple products in general (especially iPods/iPhones) because of the social attributes the brand brings ...

daqua_99

Pretty much this. My friends all make fun of me because I don't like iPods(Sony Walkman FTW!!!) or have an MacBook. Then I ask how much they paid for their iPods and Macs and then laugh at how much they paid and then they shun me for a few days(damn rich jerks)

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts
Because you can plant their seeds in the ground and grow more to sell.
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts
the same reason gucci costs more and sony costs more. welcome to the wonderful world of brand-naming.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Communistik"][QUOTE="McJugga"] Better in what way?jasonharris48

Every way.

Care to explain?

He either a) Works for Apple or b) Is one of the many fools Steve Jobs has hypnotized into giving him all their money.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

Apple innovates and innovation costs money.

entropyecho
The innovation is not worth the increased cost. We aren't talking a few dollars here....
Communistik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Communistik

[QUOTE="Communistik"][QUOTE="McJugga"] Better in what way?jasonharris48

Every way.

Care to explain?

Sure. Every feature of every Apple product is the most reliable, functional, and versatile of any brand. This makes each of them better.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Like many things because people pay for them.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

[QUOTE="Communistik"] Every way.Communistik

Care to explain?

Sure. Every feature of every Apple product is the most reliable, functional, and versatile of any brand. This makes each of them better.

I have a ipod Touch and a Creative Zen. The Zen was far better and I'd never buy another ipod.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Care to explain?

Umm, care to elaborate?

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Communistik"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] Care to explain?

LJS9502_basic

I have a ipod Touch and a Creative Zen. The Zen was far better and I'd never buy another ipod.

The Zen is pretty good. I can't wait to see how the Zii is(touch-screen Zen/stem cell computer)

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 grape_of_wrath
[QUOTE="Communistik"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Every way.Communistik
Care to explain?

:| they got you! :x
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Because people buy their products like a bunch of lemmings.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Communistik"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"] Care to explain?

grape_of_wrath

:| they got you! :x

Poor soul. We've lost another one to the evil Apple. We must stop them. Viva la revolution!!!!

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
People will pay the money for them. I've used the Apple Mac for various things at school like making a music video and doing some comic stuff. The way I see Apple products is that when they work they're great but when they don't work they are a nightmare. I don't like using itunes at all because it doesn't work that well on normal PCs. People only tend to buy Apple products for social reasons, they're too scared to be different and you fit in if you have an Ipod Nano/touch or Iphone becuase they have become the norm.
Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
In the same way branded clothes cost money, but they get the job done, Mac products are more aesthetically pleasing and definitely command more attention and respect because of the money associated with them.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Care to explain?

AHAHAHA! You can't be serious.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Because most people dont have any understanding about computers. They think just because something looks nice means its better. Apple hardware is actually WAYYYYY behind PC hardware. The newest GPU they have is a integrated nvidia Geforce 120GT. its rly sad. they charge 3k for a mac pro with only one of those. apple needs to die. that fact that they have integrated dual booting at an average consumer level shows how desperate they are to beat M$. Their OS doesnt even have full 64bit support. It uses the UNIX kernel, but has stripped away 90% of the features seen in most Linux OS's. It has locked proper OpenGl support, restricts user custimization (hardware wise), they claim macs are the only computers capable of dualbooting (which is not true, i have triple boot on my PC, OSX, Linux, and Windows 7), and they say they cant get viruses which is bull. macs have viruses, but the reason windows has more is because 95% of people use windows based systes. hackers have a larger target audience. the number of viruses available on windows shows its superiority in the market. My least favorite rumor is that macs are better for visual editing. this is not true. macs have inferior hardware and graphics API than windows. in graphic editing that is all that matters. Some may say that both windows and macs use OpenGL, and as true as this may be macs have most OpenGl features locked by default, and users must apply a number of exploits to unlock it. Even if OSX had full openGL support by default the hardware is still inferior and cannot compete with PC based systems. last time i checked apple almost went bankrupt and it was M$ who loaned them money to get back on their feet. There has also been some rumors that on the same day M$ bought out 12% of apple as part of the deal.

werthog14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 werthog14
Member since 2005 • 420 Posts

Because most people dont have any understanding about computers. They think just because something looks nice means its better. Apple hardware is actually WAYYYYY behind PC hardware. The newest GPU they have is a integrated nvidia Geforce 120GT. its rly sad. they charge 3k for a mac pro with only one of those. apple needs to die. that fact that they have integrated dual booting at an average consumer level shows how desperate they are to beat M$. Their OS doesnt even have full 64bit support. It uses the UNIX kernel, but has stripped away 90% of the features seen in most Linux OS's. It has locked proper OpenGl support, restricts user custimization (hardware wise), they claim macs are the only computers capable of dualbooting (which is not true, i have triple boot on my PC, OSX, Linux, and Windows 7), and they say they cant get viruses which is bull. macs have viruses, but the reason windows has more is because 95% of people use windows based systes. hackers have a larger target audience. the number of viruses available on windows shows its superiority in the market. My least favorite rumor is that macs are better for visual editing. this is not true. macs have inferior hardware and graphics API than windows. in graphic editing that is all that matters. Some may say that both windows and macs use OpenGL, and as true as this may be macs have most OpenGl features locked by default, and users must apply a number of exploits to unlock it. Even if OSX had full openGL support by default the hardware is still inferior and cannot compete with PC based systems. last time i checked apple almost went bankrupt and it was M$ who loaned them money to get back on their feet. There has also been some rumors that on the same day M$ bought out 12% of apple as part of the deal.

painguy1
This man speaks the truth
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 grape_of_wrath

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

werthog14

This man speaks the truth

he speaks A LOT of truth. i can't read this much truth i'll fall asleep. :P

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phoenix534

painguy1

The truth will set you free! All Apple addicts need to read this and accept that Apple sucks and rips you off

garaa2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 garaa2007
Member since 2006 • 829 Posts

Because people areslaves to appearances , apple products look nice so people buy them.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

painguy1
can i really trust these? the "least fav rumor" part's really important tome
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

painguy1

Thank you sir, I have to show this post to my friend he's a huge Apple fanboy lol.

kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts
I don't know, but my Pro is banging.
sun-son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sun-son
Member since 2007 • 230 Posts
They are expensive just like the BMW and the Mercedes. Other cars are cheaper and do the same thing. Its about cosmetics.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

[QUOTE="Communistik"]Better things cost more money.LJS9502_basic
Better is subjective.

Yeah, seriously. :lol: That was a terrible comment by Commu

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

VaguelyTagged

btw? aren't PC graphics based on direct x and not openGL?
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Care to explain?

Couldn't be farther from the truth.

Take this macbook pro for example.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz
2GB Memory
160GB hard drive
Nvidia 9400M gpu

$1199

Now look this Toshiba laptop.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350
4GB DDR3 RAM
320GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS

$799.99

Now, please explain how the Apple laptop is any better.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

My cousin is currently saving up to buy a mac laptop, despite the fact right now he has enough money to buy a laptop with better specs than what he's going to be getting.

His reasoning was "there has never been a single virus reported on a mac, ever" and "they're so much faster too, the webpage just opens really fast the loading bar shoots up"

So yeah, that's the type of people buying macs.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

VaguelyTagged

btw? aren't PC graphics based on direct x and not openGL?

it depends on the application. Adobe products use OpenGl acceleration, and PC games use DX. Some PC games use OpenGL. I know Doom 3, and and most unreal tournament games use OpenGL. heres a list of programs that use OpenGL. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs

KittenNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KittenNipples
Member since 2007 • 3013 Posts
Because their shiny.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Phoenix534

My cousin is currently saving up to buy a mac laptop, despite the fact right now he has enough money to buy a laptop with better specs than what he's going to be getting.

His reasoning was "there has never been a single virus reported on a mac, ever" and "they're so much faster too, the webpage just opens really fast the loading bar shoots up"

So yeah, that's the type of people buying macs.

Brainkiller05

Wow. That's sad. There are viruses on Macs and PCs can load fast too, as long as you use a good browser like Chrome or Opera.