Who else is optimistic that marijuana prohibition could end by 2011?

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts

I for one am with California and a few other state considering legalization.

best-gam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 best-gam3r
Member since 2005 • 4553 Posts
The fact that a plant is illegal is absurd in the first place. The legalization of marijuana should be soon after followed by feeling ashamed of ourselves.... I mean seriously.
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rob1101
The fact that a plant is illegal is absurd in the first place. The legalization of marijuana should be soon after followed by feeling ashamed of ourselves.... I mean seriously.best-gam3r
lol yea that is a given. The plant is the most harmless recreational drug there is yet acohol and tobacco are legal. Personally I think all drugs should be legal and regulated like alcohol and tobacco.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I'm personally for marijuana legalization, but I doubt that it will be legal country-wide by 2011 (if that's what you mean).
BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BladeOfHeaven
Member since 2006 • 6027 Posts
I for one don't care, even if it's illegal people are still gonna get it no matter what. If it becomes legal then great.
DjCristii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DjCristii
Member since 2009 • 247 Posts
does it matter? people will smoke it even if its illegal
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts
does it matter? people will smoke it even if its illegalDjCristii
It matters to all of the innocent, nonviolent users who could potentially be charged as criminals just for using it. I would say that yeah, it matters.
DjCristii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DjCristii
[QUOTE="DjCristii"]does it matter? people will smoke it even if its illegalpis3rch
It matters to all of the innocent, nonviolent users who could potentially be charged as criminals just for using it. I would say that yeah, it matters.

dont get caught, its not hard
Avatar image for blackacidevil96
blackacidevil96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blackacidevil96
Member since 2006 • 3855 Posts

[QUOTE="DjCristii"]does it matter? people will smoke it even if its illegalpis3rch

legalization is not such a simple matter as signing a paper and say ok you can smoke now. you cant just legalize something you have no control over. right now the drug trade is run by gangs and other often times violent organizations. and taxing the hell out of weed wont solve anything. as then a black market is then created and people will go right back to the original source. which doesnt solve many problems. not to mention many of these gangs(also talking cross boarder here not just local.) will then seek other ways to make money. be that heavier drugs or otherwise. not to mention what do you do with all those people who have been jailed on pot charges?

to the one who said all drugs should be legalized? really? are you serious? have you seen what other drugs do? ever seen someone on meth? or heroin? yeah probly not. other wise you wouldnt be so quick to say such a thing. and to say that its our bodies we should be able to do what we want? i fully agree, if this was anarchy (im quite for anarchy of sorts). but we dont live in anarchy we live in a cooperative society and having useless drug addicts does not promote the betterment of said society.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
Maybe by 2021 if you're lucky.
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rob1101

[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="DjCristii"]does it matter? people will smoke it even if its illegalblackacidevil96

legalization is not such a simple matter as signing a paper and say ok you can smoke now. you cant just legalize something you have no control over. right now the drug trade is run by gangs and other often times violent organizations. and taxing the hell out of weed wont solve anything. as then a black market is then created and people will go right back to the original source. which doesnt solve many problems. not to mention many of these gangs(also talking cross boarder here not just local.) will then seek other ways to make money. be that heavier drugs or otherwise. not to mention what do you do with all those people who have been jailed on pot charges?

to the one who said all drugs should be legalized? really? are you serious? have you seen what other drugs do? ever seen someone on meth? or heroin? yeah probly not. other wise you wouldnt be so quick to say such a thing. and to say that its our bodies we should be able to do what we want? i fully agree, if this was anarchy (im quite for anarchy of sorts). but we dont live in anarchy we live in a cooperative society and having useless drug addicts does not promote the betterment of said society.

so your rational behind not legalizing cannabis is it would create a black market? What would you call what we have now? Regardless legalization is the first step and any kind will hurt the black market. If you wanted to eliminate it just allow users to grow their own like they can with tobacco and brew their own beer. And what do you mean what to do with the people in prison just release everyone from prison with a minor pot charge. Sure I have seen what heavier drugs can do to people does it not make more sense to treat it as a public health issue rather than a national security issue.
Risitance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Risitance
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts

If acohol and tobacco is legal so should Marijuana.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
optimistic? no, i'm pessimistic that it could be legalized.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts

Risitance
Ummmm....You do know Tabacco was seen as harmless not that long ago right? So you might not want to use that one.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="DjCristii"]does it matter? people will smoke it even if its illegalblackacidevil96

The prohibition of marijuana is what created the black market in the first place. Did you ever study the Prohibition of the 1920's? IT FAILED. People wanted to drink, and criminals rose to power as the source of much coveted booze. That's what we have today with marijuana. People want to smoke, and will always want to smoke, so they are going to get marijuana. I think that they would prefer to get it from a regulated coffeshop/dispensary (like in Amsterdam or California) than to buy it from some dealer who supports the violent Mexican cartels.
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rob1101
[QUOTE="Risitance"]

MoonMarvel
Ummmm....You do know Tabacco was seen as harmless not that long ago right? So you might not want to use that one.

whats your point? it has been proven time and time again that Marijuana is less harmful then acohol and tobacco. Yet which two are legal even though they can be very dangerous to public health.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

all drugs should be legalized,or at bare minimum drug laws should be handled by the states. Crime rates in inner cities would plummet as drug kingpins collapse and reputable companies take over the drug market.

Moroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Moroes
Member since 2008 • 2041 Posts
I don't think it will be fully legal by 2011, but I do see the irony of marijuna prohibition. Alcohol causes at least five times (probably more) more deaths annually than marijuana does. Right now it being illegal isn't that big of a problem because people get around the law. Whats unbelieveable is that 16 year olds get sent to prison for years and years for possesion, and that basically ruins their lives.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="Risitance"]

whats your point? it has been proven time and time again that Marijuana is less harmful then acohol and tobacco. Yet which two are legal even though they can be very dangerous to public health.

You're kidding right? Tobacco was first seen as harmless, thats why it was never banned they thought it was harmless and by the time it was proven false the industry was too big to be banned. So don't use that one ever.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MoonMarvel

all drugs should be legalized,or at bare minimum drug laws should be handled by the states. Crime rates in inner cities would plummet as drug kingpins collapse and reputable companies take over the drug market.

danwallacefan
And public health goes down the gutter in the name of a buck. Have you ever seen what Meth does to people? There is NO valid reason to make it legal.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] Ummmm....You do know Tabacco was seen as harmless not that long ago right? So you might not want to use that one.MoonMarvel

You're kidding right? Tobacco was first seen as harmless, thats why it was never banned they thought it was harmless and by the time it was proven false the industry was too big to be banned. So don't use that one ever.

Not just that really. I hate the argument of "alcohol and tobacco are worse but are legalized!" because the logic behind it is so obviously flawed. Two very bad things being legal and one fairly bad thing being illegal does not mean that the fairly bad thing should also be legal. That would mean that three bad things would be legal now instead of just two. The logic DOES NOT work.
ShowStopper102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShowStopper102
Member since 2007 • 12382 Posts
[QUOTE="pis3rch"] It matters to all of the innocent, nonviolent users who could potentially be charged as criminals just for using it. I would say that yeah, it matters.

Agreed to this.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

im all for it being legalized but i highly doubt it will ever be legalized

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

MoonMarvel

And public health goes down the gutter in the name of a buck. Have you ever seen what Meth does to people? There is NO valid reason to make it legal.

are we then to outlaw smoking, drinking, or over-eating? People own their own bodies, they should be able to do what they will. Further, do you really think drug prohibition keeps anyone from getting their hands on crystal meth? It just makes meth a black-market product responsible for a whole host of property crimes and homicides.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="rob1101"] whats your point? it has been proven time and time again that Marijuana is less harmful then acohol and tobacco. Yet which two are legal even though they can be very dangerous to public health.Paladin_King

Not just that really. I hate the argument of "alcohol and tobacco are worse but are legalized!" because the logic behind it is so obviously flawed. Two very bad things being legal and one fairly bad thing being illegal does not mean that the fairly bad thing should also be legal. That would mean that three bad things would be legal now instead of just two. The logic DOES NOT work.

They don't see Weed as bad. Also I doubt many know what prohibition in the 1920's was, other than booze was banned and Al Capone. Little more to it than that.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

It's not going to happen. Considering how much brainwashing has gone on since the war on drugs was initiated, the people foolish enough to buy into that tripe would cry and scream bloody murder if the prohibition was repealed.

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Nationwide, it will take a long time. I can see a few states, especially California, legalizing it by then.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="rob1101"] whats your point? it has been proven time and time again that Marijuana is less harmful then acohol and tobacco. Yet which two are legal even though they can be very dangerous to public health.Paladin_King

no actually it merely exposes the incredible hypocrisy in society and people who think that alcohol and tobacco ought be legal, but drugs ought not be. The reason we near-universally agree that alcohol and tobacco should be legal is because people own their own bodies, but its hypocrisy to say that it stops when talking about drugs like marijuana.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] You're kidding right? Tobacco was first seen as harmless, thats why it was never banned they thought it was harmless and by the time it was proven false the industry was too big to be banned. So don't use that one ever. MoonMarvel

Agreed. But saying weed is bad is one line of argument. Saying that worse things are legalized, and so weed should be legalized too is an entirely different line of argument. The first can be argued, the second can't. Hell, the second implicitly accepts that marijuana is bad. They don't see Weed as bad. Also I doubt many know what prohibition in the 1920's was, other than booze was banned and Al Capone. Little more to it than that.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

are we then to outlaw smoking, drinking, or over-eating? People own their own bodies, they should be able to do what they will. Further, do you really think drug prohibition keeps anyone from getting their hands on crystal meth? It just makes meth a black-market product responsible for a whole host of property crimes and homicides.

Flawed Logic. Are you seriously comparing meth to eating donut? That is way flawed, you can't compare a less dangerous thing to a more dangerous thing and use that as logic for making both legal, doesn't work that way. And as long as those things harm society and run up health care costs no you can't, also you know nothing about Meth, making it legal makes it easier for them to get it not harder and keeps people on it from getting off. Black Market? HA! I have met Meth addicts, none of them commit crimes and I doubt you know how many do.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="Paladin_King"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] You're kidding right? Tobacco was first seen as harmless, thats why it was never banned they thought it was harmless and by the time it was proven false the industry was too big to be banned. So don't use that one ever. danwallacefan

no actually it merely exposes the incredible hypocrisy in society and people who think that alcohol and tobacco ought be legal, but drugs ought not be. The reason we near-universally agree that alcohol and tobacco should be legal is because people own their own bodies, but its hypocrisy to say that it stops when talking about drugs like marijuana.

Actually I don't think Tobacco should be legal, but do understand that the industry is too big to ban. Booze on the other hand in harmless in moderation but even then some don't agree that it should be legal either and I don't agree with binge drinking.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts
I think all drugs should be banned, including smoking cigarettes. It's ridiculous, thinking California will be the "cool" state if we legalize marijuana. Weed is for lazy people who don't have an interest in their lives, in my opinion. I admit that weed is a lot better for you than cigarettes though; I don't even know how smoking is still legal.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

That's why I think cigarettes, alcohol, and all drugs should be illegal. People are thinking opposite. Since smoking and alcohol is very bad but legal, and marijuana is kind of bad and illegal, then everything should be ILLEGAL, not everything becoming legal. That's like saying that since people who get away from jail for murder, but Michael Vick went to jail for dogfighting, then he shouldn't have to be in jail. That's wrong. It means that the murderers should be in jail even longer than him. I think this logic from the people who said that comes from school. You know if two people both got the wrong answer to something on a test, and one got it marked as right and the other got it marked as wrong, the one who got it marked as wrong thinks that they should get their answer right, too. NO. it means both people should then be marked wrong.
Avatar image for illegalimigrant
illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 illegalimigrant
Member since 2008 • 1402 Posts
[QUOTE="best-gam3r"]The fact that a plant is illegal is absurd in the first place. The legalization of marijuana should be soon after followed by feeling ashamed of ourselves.... I mean seriously.rob1101
lol yea that is a given. The plant is the most harmless recreational drug there is yet acohol and tobacco are legal. Personally I think all drugs should be legal and regulated like alcohol and tobacco.

You are right we should ban alcohol and tobacco. I will support that ban as it only causes harm to society.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 danwallacefan

Flawed Logic. Are you seriously comparing meth to eating donut?MoonMarvel

what's wrong with that? Obesity and heart disease kill WAAAY more people than illicit drugs. If you want to outlaw drugs, it seems totally arbitrary to want to keep donuts and deep-fried snickers bars legal.

That is way flawed, you can't compare a less dangerous thing to a more dangerous thing and use that as logic for making both legal, doesn't work that way.MoonMarvel

I coulden't care less if its dangerous. People own their own bodies and should be allowed to do with them whatever the hell they please.

And as long as those things harm society and run up health care costs no you can't, also you know nothing about Meth, making it legal makes it easier for them to get it not harder and keeps people on it from getting off. Black Market? HA! I have met Meth addicts, none of them commit crimes and I doubt you know how many do.MoonMarvel
Moonmarvel, drug prohibition harms society more than drug addiction could probably ever harm society. Drug kingpins are seen as the highest persons on the social order in inner-city culture. in some cities, half of all property crimes (theft, robbery, burglary) are committed by drug users. There would be almost none of this if all drugs were legalized. I forgot to mention that Drug prohibition greatly helps drug cartels. Small guys can't get into the cocaine business without purchasing cocaine which ultimately comes from Drug Cartels in Colombia and Mexico. If Drugs were legalized, they could be sold by legal corporations and could have enourmous taxes on them, which would ultimately bring in huge government revenues.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="best-gam3r"]The fact that a plant is illegal is absurd in the first place. The legalization of marijuana should be soon after followed by feeling ashamed of ourselves.... I mean seriously.illegalimigrant

You are right we should ban alcohol and tobacco. I will support that ban as it only causes harm to society.

you can't POSSIBLY be serious. Do you really think tobacco and alcohol should be banned?
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#38 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

danwallacefan
That scares me. I'd hate to fly on an airplane controlled by pilots that were smoking angel dust the night before.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="Risitance"]

Well apparently not.
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
Here in central Ontario it doesn't even matter anymore. I realized just how accepted marijuana truly is when a teacher knew that one student came to class high on a semi regular basis and said nothing but made more then a few comments towards a student he believed drank too much caffeine. It's not just a single case either, a lot of people are more willing to have negative things to say about caffeine and cigarettes then about marijuana around here.
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] Ummmm....You do know Tabacco was seen as harmless not that long ago right? So you might not want to use that one.supa_badman

Well apparently not.

Even if pound for pound marijuana smoke was worse then cigarette smoke, each cigarette weighs in at about 1 gram. a pack a day smoker will therefore smoke around 20 grams. That's 2-4 weeks worth of smoke for a heavy marijuana user and months and months for a recreational user.
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rob1101
[QUOTE="rob1101"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"] Ummmm....You do know Tabacco was seen as harmless not that long ago right? So you might not want to use that one.supa_badman

Well apparently not.

This one is more recent
DjCristii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DjCristii
weed is still harmful, why make it legal?
ps3thabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ps3thabest
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts

It's gonna be great, and now they can put Tabacco companies out of business.

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
weed is still harmful, why make it legal?DjCristii
$$$
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]

what's wrong with that? Obesity and heart disease kill WAAAY more people than illicit drugs. If you want to outlaw drugs, it seems totally arbitrary to want to keep donuts and deep-fried snickers bars legal.

? You can't make something illegal because one idiot uses it against the direct intent of the product. If you were than make glue illegal. People ARE using Meth the way intended. Your comparing apples to oranges and that never works.

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]That is way flawed, you can't compare a less dangerous thing to a more dangerous thing and use that as logic for making both legal, doesn't work that way.danwallacefan

I coulden't care less if its dangerous. People own their own bodies and should be allowed to do with them whatever the hell they please.

Not when it harms society and raises health care costs to the average consumer.

And as long as those things harm society and run up health care costs no you can't, also you know nothing about Meth, making it legal makes it easier for them to get it not harder and keeps people on it from getting off. Black Market? HA! I have met Meth addicts, none of them commit crimes and I doubt you know how many do.MoonMarvel
Moonmarvel, drug prohibition harms society more than drug addiction could probably ever harm society. Drug kingpins are seen as the highest persons on the social order in inner-city culture. in some cities, half of all property crimes (theft, robbery, burglary) are committed by drug users. There would be almost none of this if all drugs were legalized. I forgot to mention that Drug prohibition greatly helps drug cartels. Small guys can't get into the cocaine business without purchasing cocaine which ultimately comes from Drug Cartels in Colombia and Mexico. If Drugs were legalized, they could be sold by legal corporations and could have enourmous taxes on them, which would ultimately bring in huge government revenues.

Danwallacefan...See saying a name doesn't work. Keeping drugs illegal doesn't harm anyone, its the drugs themselves that cause the problem. All making it legal will do is allow these metheads to get their hit legally without fear, legallity has no bearing on addiction it never has. I also doubt you know much about inner city culture as I have been in there and disagree with you on whole. Also underline drug users, remember those crimes are crimes in their own right, making the drug legal won't stop them from committing another crime so that logic fails. You seem to think if we make drugs legal all those cimes will magically vanish into thin air....Fail there as again legal status has no bearing on additiction and those would be addicts and in jail anyway for other crimes. I don't care about money, I care about peoples health and lowering health care costs. Nobody should get into the business of harming other people, and putting sellers and users in rehabilitation and the suppliers in jail will help as will anti-poverty programs.

Is this over now?

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="rob1101"] whats your point? it has been proven time and time again that Marijuana is less harmful then acohol and tobacco. Yet which two are legal even though they can be very dangerous to public health.rob1101
Well apparently not.

This one is more recent

More study is still needed.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="rob1101"] whats your point? it has been proven time and time again that Marijuana is less harmful then acohol and tobacco. Yet which two are legal even though they can be very dangerous to public health.rob1101
Well apparently not.

This one is more recent

This one even more so any difference? i guess we'll never know. scientists keep coming back at eachother constantly. in the lawful sense marijuana would be more dangerous considering its illegal.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="DjCristii"]weed is still harmful, why make it legal?Infinite-Zr0
$$$

Not really a valid reason.
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
[QUOTE="Infinite-Zr0"][QUOTE="DjCristii"]weed is still harmful, why make it legal?MoonMarvel
$$$

Not really a valid reason.

How is that not a valid reason? The government is $10trillion in debt.