When was the last time you asked your parents for money or a major favor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3107 Posts

I'm sensing that there are a lot of millennials in this board.

So I'm just curious, when was the last time you asked your parents for money or a favor and what amount/what kind of favor was it?

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I used to borrow 40 dollars from my mom every month. I'm getting more on disability now and don't have to.

dbzee_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dbzee_cool
Member since 2003 • 277 Posts

This morning I repaid my father 5x the amount he spent on me for college. He never asked for it but I felt compelled to do it because he spent 4 years putting up with my education by giving up his earnings. (I studied abroad)

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I asked last month if my girlfriend and I could borrow their house for a social gathering for Halloween. We currently live in an apartment and have never really had the opportunity to have more than a couple friends over at a time.

My parents said yes, and we made sure the house was clean and neat before we left.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

They helped me with education, but I didn't exactly ask for that (I'm grateful! My family, grandparents included, started saving when me and my sister were born).

I paid them back for that, however, so we are square. It has been a few years since I have asked them for anything. I don't need much from life.

I am thinking of buying a house, however, and as a working-class Californian the only realistic way to do that is to A.) ask a bank for money or B.) ask family for money. My family has the means and I don't want to ask a bank so I think I will go with option B. Freaking 150-200k down payments...

Just tired of renting. Tired of relying on other people to fix my problems.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Not since I moved out when I turned 23.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

About 7 years ago I had a shit retail job and had my hours cut to 28 a week and had to ask for some cash for rent. These days they are actually borrowing money from me every once in a while. It feels really good to be there for family as they have always been there for me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@mrbojangles25 said:

Just tired of renting. Tired of relying on other people to fix my problems.

Not me. I'm tired of maintaining a house. Everything is either DIY or pay somebody else. With renting, all that stuff is part of the rent.

Once the last kid moves out, we're selling the house and renting.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: I'm the other way around. I can't stand renting. I would rather maintain my own home and have control over it rather than live at the mercy of a landlord. Plus I look at it as an investment.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

My parents ask me for money. :-(

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

all the time

i am jobless,worthless waste of existence

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@plageus900 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: I'm the other way around. I can't stand renting. I would rather maintain my own home and have control over it rather than live at the mercy of a landlord. Plus I look at it as an investment.

Between devoting time to family, work, more education, and maintaining a home, renting is looking more attractive. By renting, I mean living at base housing inside a military base or something. I didn't realize the military now allows (military) retirees to rent housing on base along with free use of many facilities (gym, legal services, exchange, commissary, discounted fuel prices, low-cost/free utilities, etc). The housing units are typical duplex style where I share one wall with another tenant.

It's the ultimate gated community.

http://dm.soaringheights.net/tucson/davis-monthan-afb-soaring-heights-communities/photos/

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Millennial here. I have never asked them for money. Did stay with them for a year after my wife got out of the Army and we were both looking for jobs and then a place to live. She got a job in 3 months, I got one a couple months later and it took a long ass time to find an affordable and not shitty place to live. They asked us to stay, offered to finish the basement into an apartment even. Not really where we want to be at this point though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

@plageus900 said:

same

and I would have roommates, probably. I don't have a significant other and I'd get at least a two-bedroom place, so that'd be some extra income

either that or a tiny, affordable condo with a HOA that maintains the area so I don't need to worry about landscaping and maintaining the exterior.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

I dunno, probably 30ish years ago. Maybe closer to 35.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

My parents are always asking me if I need money or help in some way. They somehow became well off in their old age. They only had a job like mine but I think they invested well and got some help from my grandpa's money when he passed. I don't want any of their money and I hope to touch none of it and pass it along to my daughter untouched one day. I worry I could fall short and it would make me cry if i had to spend any of that money. But when I was 20 years old or less I took money from my parents left and right. To be honest they have helped me buy a car once or twice and I hope to do the same for my offspring. We are all working class over here so don't get this thing twisted. I've been lucky as hell to get a good union job just like my father and his father before him. Those days are at an end.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@plageus900 said:

Between devoting time to family, work, more education, and maintaining a home, renting is looking more attractive. By renting, I mean living at base housing inside a military base or something. I didn't realize the military now allows (military) retirees to rent housing on base along with free use of many facilities (gym, legal services, exchange, commissary, discounted fuel prices, low-cost/free utilities, etc). The housing units are typical duplex style where I share one wall with another tenant.

It's the ultimate gated community.

http://dm.soaringheights.net/tucson/davis-monthan-afb-soaring-heights-communities/photos/

That's pretty neat. I didn't know the base offered housing to retired service members. I never used the base housing while I was in the AF, but Soaring Heights managed the housing at Holloman AFB as well.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@plageus900 said:

That's pretty neat. I didn't know the base offered housing to retired service members. I never used the base housing while I was in the AF, but Soaring Heights managed the housing at Holloman AFB as well.

Yup. I was pleasantly surprised. We're seriously considering it. Or..... sell the house and buy an RV. But, I much prefer to rent on-base. I'm getting a little lazy with maintenance. ;)

I know some AF retirees who have nothing but their pensions (no family either). They rent an apartment and lie down poolside all day. They may not be rich. But, they also don't need to work and they have no worries.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

When I bought my house, I asked my mom for a small loan ($5k) to assist with the down payment. I really wanted to hit the 20% downpayment threshold. That was the first, and only time, I asked my mom for anything outside of a Christmas gift during my adult years. I could have still gotten the house without the loan...I took $36k to closing...which she called a gift instead, but I would have had to pay PMI.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

I borrowed 2k from my parents when I bought my first bike out of college. That was the last time.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GalvatronType_R said:

I'm sensing that there are a lot of millennials in this board.

So I'm just curious, when was the last time you asked your parents for money or a favor and what amount/what kind of favor was it?

Never. Luckily my parents raised me to be independent and deal with my own problems and life.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

pretty much not this century.

binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

My husband and I moved in with my parents for 2 years while in our late 20's to save up a down payment for our own place. We moved out about 9 months ago now. It was always understood we could come live with them to save up any time, so once we had the opportunity we did it. And now that we have our own place my parents and siblings will be staying at our house when they're in town. Being this age and depending on my parents in that way does make me feel a bit like a loser.