What's up with all the Islamaphobia in the US now a days?

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100815/pl_afp/uspoliticsreligionattacks_20100815184754#mwpphu-container go to "highest rated" in the comments. More often than not those are more or less sensible (people stating good pros or cons of the subject at hand). However in this case the first 5 not only bash the planned mosque/community center but they bash Islam hard itself. Some quotes for the higehest rated comments

"This is one nation under god (singular) if you don't like it that way then leave" (co
mment implies Allah isn't god)

"I strongly disagree with the building of this mosque if it were up to me I would remove all muslims from America. Islam is only peaceful if you are a muslim if you are not a muslim they just kill you!" Comment for the most part implies over a billion people (including several mllion Americans) want to slaughter those who disagee with their religous beliefs.

and probably the strongest comment holding a thumbs up thumbs down ratio of about 3:2. "Any american who participates in the building of this should be shot on site for treason against the constitution".

What's wrong with people?

smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 smc91352
Member since 2009 • 7786 Posts
don't go to yahoo if you want hope.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

The only problem i have with others expressing their religion is that i KNOW me doing the same in their country would not garner the same response from them. They come here expecting something that they would not be willing to give another.

Otherwise, i honestly could not care less what anyone does/wants to do.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
It's not a "phobia", it's an opinion.Unassigned
Exactly.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

[QUOTE="Unassigned"]It's not a "phobia", it's an opinion.ghoklebutter
Exactly.

i agree. read this

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Yeah, I can't think of anything that has happened in the last ten years that could cause people to feel trepidation toward the Islamic faith; can you?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

The only problem i have with others expressing their religion is that i KNOW me doing the same in their country would not garner the same response from them. They come here expecting something that they would not be willing to give another.

Alter_Echo

That's not really true, most Muslims support freedom of religion and wish that the few Islamist regimes that disallow it would be more open, which is part of the reason why Muslims come to nations like the U.S.

As to the topic, the Islamophobia in America is bad, but it's ten times worse in European nations, one of the few areas where I think we're actually ahead of Europe in terms of progress.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Yahoo is hardly the place to find people representative of people's true opinions. At least I hope not. :?
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]Yahoo is hardly the place to find people representative of people's true opinions. At least I hope not. :?

No, that's what youtube comments are for!
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maniacc1

[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]

Otherwise, i honestly could not care less what anyone does/wants to do.theone86

That's not really true, most Muslims support freedom of religion and wish that the few Islamist regimes that disallow it would be more open, which is part of the reason why Muslims come to nations like the U.S.

Agreed, It really doesn't matter if Islam accepts other religions or not. What does matter, is that the United States does. Case closed. ;)

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maniacc1
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="Maniacc1"]Yahoo is hardly the place to find people representative of people's true opinions. At least I hope not. :?

No, that's what youtube comments are for!

Nothing like the big wall of internet to bring out the brave ones. :P
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

Yeah, I can't think of anything that has happened in the last ten years that could cause people to feel trepidation toward the Islamic faith; can you?xaos
A muslim called me a 'jackass' in 2005....:x
So, yeah, they really fudged things up this passing deacde...

[spoiler] Proper disclosure: A muslim person did not,in fact, call me a'jackass' in 2005. Grape of wrath is not in any way responsible for anything the grape of wrath has to say(just because I said so,right now)-even if it wasn't said at all. all comments by the grape of wrath are for dramatic purposes,only. and by no means should be taken seriously.

Have a graptastic time! [/spoiler]

Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Memberino
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
Its probably something to do with a group of Muslims blowing up the World Trade Center.....and the fact that the culture in most Muslim countries appears completely contrary to our own and if I may say so "worse" than our own.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"]Yeah, I can't think of anything that has happened in the last ten years that could cause people to feel trepidation toward the Islamic faith; can you?grape_of_wrath
A muslim called me a 'jackass' in 2005....:x So, yeah, they really fudged things up this passing deacde... [spoiler] Proper disclosure: A muslim person did not,in fact, call me a doodoo head in 2005. Grape of wrath is not in any way responsible for anything the grape of wrath has to say(just because I said so)-even if it wasn't said at all. all comments by the grape of wrath are for dramatic purposes,only. and by no means should be taken seriously. Have a graptastic time! [/spoiler]

Seriously? How can you possibly say something like that? You're a disgrace. :| [spoiler] /sarcasm :P [/spoiler]

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#16 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
People respond to what they see in the world.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

Sorry if it's taking us a while to get over the worst terrorist attack our country ever faced, as well as the constant horror stories of extremists preforming unspeakable acts in the middle east.

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theone86

People respond to what they see in the world.SolidSnake35

But they're also very selective about what they see.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Islamophobia...have you not heard of Muslim Day at Six Flags?..

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

The US has a history of discrimination and prejudice against blacks, native americans, jews, chinese, japanese, irish, italians, russians, catholics, mexicans, latinos, women and im sure im leaving someone out. Muslims and mexicans are just the ones who happen to be public enemies No. 1 and 2. History sadly always repeats itself.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts

[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]

theone86

As to the topic, the Islamophobia in America is bad, but it's ten times worse in European nations, one of the few areas where I think we're actually ahead of Europe in terms of progress.

Probably because of the Danish Mohammed cartoons that caused large scale backlash against freedom of speech as opposed to be absolute minority of Muslims who support 9/11.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

The US has a history of discrimination and prejudice against blacks, jews, chinese, japanese, irish, italians, russians, catholics, mexicans, latinos, and im sure im leaving someone out. Muslims and mexicans are just the ones who happen to be public enemies No. 1 and 2. History sadly always repeats itself.Diablo-B
You left out Native Americans, I had to think about it since you said you knew you likely left someone out =)

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
[QUOTE="testfactor888"] You left out Native Americans

I just remembered and added an edit. Yet im sure im still leaving someone out. I should probably add women too.
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts
Probably because of the Danish Mohammed cartoons that caused large scale backlash against freedom of speech as opposed to be absolute minority of Muslims who support 9/11.Gallion-Beast
No. It's because of the ethnic change of balance in W.europe.Or, In other words-The "Islamization" of europe.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Or maybe that people just think it is highly respectless to build a mosque on top of ground zero?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theone86

Probably because of the Danish Mohammed cartoons that caused large scale backlash against freedom of speech as opposed to be absolute minority of Muslims who support 9/11.Gallion-Beast

As I understand it, it was the publisher's decision to pull the cartoon, that's not an issue of freedom of speech as there was no government pressure.

Or maybe that people just think it is highly respectless to build a mosque on top of ground zero?

DoomZaW

Good, when someone decides to build a mosque on top of ground zero let me know, this is in the general vicinity NOT on the actual site.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts
[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"]

Probably because of the Danish Mohammed cartoons that caused large scale backlash against freedom of speech as opposed to be absolute minority of Muslims who support 9/11.

As I understand it, it was the publisher's decision to pull the cartoon, that's not an issue of freedom of speech as there was no government pressure.

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

Good, when someone decides to build a mosque on top of ground zero let me know, this is in the general vicinity NOT on the actual site.

It's still in bad taste to build a memorial to the 9/11 hijackers
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"]

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

p2250

It's not a memorial to the hijackers, it's a prayer and community center, you couldn't be farther from the truth.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"]

Probably because of the Danish Mohammed cartoons that caused large scale backlash against freedom of speech as opposed to be absolute minority of Muslims who support 9/11.theone86

DoomZaW

Huh, pulled from what? The cartoons were published in a newspaper which caused a lot of Muslims to protest against freedom of speech (ironically). No one's freedom of speech was violated, it just became clear that it's not a concept that can live side by side with Islam.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 p2250
[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="theone86"]

It's not a memorial to the hijackers, it's a prayer and community center, you couldn't be farther from the truth.

That's what they're calling it, but you can tell it's just a victory memorial for the terrorists. One of the people adovacting it supports Hamas and said America deserved 9/11.
Oreno5267

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Oreno5267
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
tc, what'd you expect? if people dont like something, the're quick to bash it instead of reasoning with it, thats whats called PATRIOTISM in this so called 'land of freedom' country, America.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="Unassigned"]It's not a "phobia", it's an opinion.T_REX305

Exactly.

i agree. read this

"irrational, intense and persistent fear of certain situations" ...With how vehemently people are protesting the building of the mosque it seems to me it is a phobia...
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xx_Hopeless_xX

theone86

Why build a mosque there?...There's a mosque a mere 18 minutes away from the site of ground zero...
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="p2250"] It's still in bad taste to build a memorial to the 9/11 hijackersXx_Hopeless_xX

Why build a mosque there?...There's a mosque a mere 18 minutes away from the site of ground zero...

18 minutes walk or drive? If your place of religion could be built within walking distance instead of an 18 minute drive, wouldn't you be for it?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="p2250"] It's still in bad taste to build a memorial to the 9/11 hijackersXx_Hopeless_xX

It's a prayer and community center, and why build anything anywhere? They obviously feel that it is the right position for them to do the most good, and the one that was both for sale and within their price range.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="p2250"] It's still in bad taste to build a memorial to the 9/11 hijackersp2250

That's what they're calling it, but you can tell it's just a victory memorial for the terrorists. One of the people adovacting it supports Hamas and said America deserved 9/11.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence at all. I can just tell your position is based more on opinion than it is on fact and reasoning.

He didn't say America DESERVED 9/11, he said American policies around the world are part of the reason why Islamic terrorist organizations are able to recruit like they do. He also said he supports the Palestinian governement in terms of the conflict with Israel, but he did say he did not support the terrorist actions of Hamas.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

It's a prayer and community center, and why build anything anywhere? They obviously feel that it is the right position for them to do the most good, and the one that was both for sale and within their price range.

So i should go build something that praises the beliefs of Aryans in the vicinity of a concentration camp..because i can...and it's not offensive because after all..i can build it there..

Also, it was NOT in their price range it cost millions of dollars.. plus, they were funded in some cases from unknown sponsors..

That's about as much sense as your statement made...

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 p2250
[QUOTE="theone86"]

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence at all. I can just tell your position is based more on opinion than it is on fact and reasoning.

He didn't say America DESERVED 9/11, he said American policies around the world are part of the reason why Islamic terrorist organizations are able to recruit like they do. He also said he supports the Palestinian governement in terms of the conflict with Israel, but he did say he did not support the terrorist actions of Hamas.

A politically correct way to say you support Hamasa and that America deserved 9/11. I wasn't born yesterday Skippy.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Gallion-Beast"]

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

Gallion-Beast

Huh, pulled from what? The cartoons were published in a newspaper which caused a lot of Muslims to protest against freedom of speech (ironically). No one's freedom of speech was violated, it just became clear that it's not a concept that can live side by side with Islam.

That's absolutely false. The common perception of the scripture in question is that Muslims are not supposed to worship images or let them become more important than the person. For some Muslims that means that images of Muhammed are allowed, they are just not to be glorified. For others that means that depictions of Muhammed aren't allowed, but that it only applies to Muslims and they shouldn't expect others to abide by those rules. A small minority thinks that depictions of Muhammed shouldn't be allowed at all, not in any way representative of Islam as a whole. In fact, more Muslims support freedom of speech than think that depictions of Muhammed should not be allowed.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="p2250"] That's what they're calling it, but you can tell it's just a victory memorial for the terrorists. One of the people adovacting it supports Hamas and said America deserved 9/11.p2250

A politically correct way to say you support Hamasa and that America deserved 9/11. I wasn't born yesterday Skippy.

Not really, you can agree with someone in principle and still not rupport their actions, Skippy.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

"Any american who participates in the building of this should be shot on site for treason against the constitution". Someone_who_never_read_the_constitution_before

Hooray for freedom of speech, thought, labour and freedom from arbitrary crimes and cruel and unusual punishment!

I guess one has to tolerate one or two retarded statements for every good statement said in a society that allows freedom of speech.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"] Why build a mosque there?...There's a mosque a mere 18 minutes away from the site of ground zero...Xx_Hopeless_xX

So i should go build something that praises the beliefs of Aryans in the vicinity of a concentration camp..because i can...and it's not offensive because after all..i can build it there..

Also, it was NOT in their price range it cost millions of dollars.. plus, they were funded in some cases from unknown sponsors..

Hitler's views of the Aryans was wildly unrealistic and not at all in line with what they really were. In fact, aryan was simply a term used for classification and myths and speculation led to ignorant people classifying them as the master race. So yeah, go ahead and build a monument to the Aryans near a concentration camp, seeing as how the Aryans were nothing like what Hitler thought they were and probably would have been persecuted under Hitler had he seen them and not known who they were.

In fact that's a perfect comparison to the buulding, seeing as how everyday Muslims are nothing like the classifications and stereotypes that ignorant Americans assign to them. Building a mosque near ground zero is not offensive, we are a land of diversity that supports the freedom to practice all religions and the fact that a mosque can be built near a site like ground zero is a testament to those principles withstanding ignorance brought on by extremist attacks. Osama bin Laden predicted years ago that if America were ever attacked by Islamic terrorists American would react unfairly against Muslims in the country, and he predicted would send many more Muslims to his cause. This hysterical nonsense saying that the mosque is some sort of victory memorial is exactly what Osama bin Laden hoped to cause by attacking in the first place.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
september 11+integrism + non integrism who decided it was the best time to promote islam and improve it's visibility to the world (ie, the mosque near the wtc)=phobia=more terrorist=war=nobody win
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

They're going to build a Mosque and Islamic Center near the World Trade Center...I seriously doubt that's "Islamaphobia" if that thing's going through.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

Thanks for the history lesson..Now..Who's to say Muslim beliefs are realistic?...Such things are mere opinion.. And..Because they can?..Is that really a good reason to disrespect the horrific deaths of thousands of innocents and the beliefs of the families who lost their husbands, fathers etc when the World Trade Center was destroyed..as well as disregarding the opinions of more then half of New Yorkers..Do they not have a say in regards to what is built near the spot where their fellow citizens were killed? Why name it Cordoba?..The name of the first Muslim Church built in Spain when the Muslims conquered it..In fact it's not about defending the freedom of religion at all..as many have said..

"That is the essence of tolerance, peace and understanding. This is not an issue of law, whether religious freedom or local zoning. This is a basic issue of respect of a tragic moment in our history"House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said in a written statement."

Also a good point.."Santorum compared the ground zero mosque to a minister who wants to builds a church near the location where the Rev. Martin Luther King was killed but preaches racial separation and the notion that King brought his death upon himself."

And the man who will be running said Mosque is one who believes the US had a part in the events that occured on 9/11...

These citations could be found by just searching google by the way..as well as the percentage mentioned above..

KidCudi37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KidCudi37
Member since 2010 • 3535 Posts
It's not a "phobia", it's an opinion.Unassigned
This. No one has a phobia, they have opinions.
Oreno5267

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Oreno5267
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
[QUOTE="Unassigned"]It's not a "phobia", it's an opinion.KidCudi37

then it's a Phobiapinion, fear of opinions.
Iranian_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Iranian_Guy
Member since 2006 • 278 Posts

islam is to be feared it's a dangerous creed

MaxPred2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MaxPred2010
Member since 2010 • 547 Posts
Yeah, 'cause there's no reason to dislike islam. I mean, such peaceful people who really haven't hurt anybody. Anyone who doesn't like them is obviously a racist homophobe xenophobe!
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="Unassigned"]It's not a "phobia", it's an opinion.KidCudi37

A phobia is an irrational fear rather than an opinion. I don't have an 'opinion' on on heights - I'm just **** scared of them