What's so bad about cursing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I've never really understood why cursing is so taboo in society. I thought it was stupid when I got punished for it as a kid and as an adult I still think it's stupid when someone gets offended by a mere word. I can understand someone getting offended by a racial slur or when they're being cursed out by someone else, but when it comes to your four letter words I can't really see what's so bad about. Sure, the S-word is for fecal matter, but so are words like poo, poop, and crap and no one cares about those words (not to mention both **** and it's synonyms can be used in the same ways grammatically). The F-bomb can be used as a word for the act of sexual intercourse, but the majority of its uses have nothing to do with that definition. Indeed just about every curse word in the English language has lost it's original meaning, euphamisms have come into use that mean the exact same things, yet the words are still considered offensive for some reason.

It really boggles my mind how people can be so offended by such words that we had to create the FCC, put advisory stickers on music albums, bump games up to T and M ratings for having curse words, punish kids for using them in some really harsh and arguably abusive ways (mouth soaping, hotsaucing, etc), and even enact anti-cursing laws (I know of two cases where people were brought to court merely for cursing, one of which was in the 1970s and the other which was in the 1990's I think, and I'd be willing to bet that there's many more).

So, does anyone here find swearing offensive, and if so just what is it about swear words that you find so bad? Like what is it about the S-word that makes it worse than saying "crap"?

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Designating certain words as taboo is beneficial to the language. Taboo words carry extra oomph when used. It helps bring attention to whatever it is you're trying to communicate. Overusing these words lessens the taboo, which then lessens the oomph. I for one, would like to maintain my ability to throw in the oomph. It ensures my words will always carry more weight than my cussing neighbor.

cubeCAT13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 cubeCAT13
Member since 2009 • 290 Posts
Most bad words have a taboo or inappropriate meaning, which might have something to do with it. I personally don't swear, but I don't really mind when other people do. If I ever swore it would probably sound stupid anyway.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
They're just words to me, i've never understood what the big deal is. As far as taboo meanings go, "the F word" (it really hurts to put it like that) and "screw" mean the same thing.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Yeah, people take the words far too seriously, although it is ******* annoying when some ******* idiot can't ******* go two ******* words with out ******* swearing....
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
"It really boggles my mind how people can be so offended by such words that we had to create the FCC, put advisory stickers on music albums, bump games up to T and M ratings for having curse words." Society can be amazingly stupid. :( Anyway, to answer the question, to me, "curse" words are just like any other words, and shouldn't be treated any differently. People really need to grow up about things like this.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
They don't bother me at all, though I don't use them. They do bother other people so I'm vocabularily capable enough to use another word which is not so offensive when I can. As has already been mentioned, if I need to really emphasize emotion, it's more shocking if I say something that I would never otherwise say.
Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts
They carry weight. "Hey poopiehead, give me back my car" "Gee Will Ackers, I forgot my keys again." "What the heavens is going on in here?"
cubeCAT13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cubeCAT13
Member since 2009 • 290 Posts

"It really boggles my mind how people can be so offended by such words that we had to create the FCC, put advisory stickers on music albums, bump games up to T and M ratings for having curse words." Society can be amazingly stupid. :( Anyway, to answer the question, to me, "curse" words are just like any other words, and shouldn't be treated any differently. People really need to grow up about things like this.Forerunner-117

On rap cds, the advisory stickers are still needed. The parents need to know that people are wasting their money on crap.

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

Designating certain words as taboo is beneficial to the language. Taboo words carry extra oomph when used. It helps bring attention to whatever it is you're trying to communicate. Overusing these words lessens the taboo, which then lessens the oomph. I for one, would like to maintain my ability to throw in the oomph. It ensures my words will always carry more weight than my cussing neighbor.

Oleg_Huzwog

i think you got a pretty damn good point

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Eh, it depends.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
It depends, some words really offend me.
kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts

On rap cds, the advisory stickers are still needed. The parents need to know that people are wasting their money on crap.

cubeCAT13
Those stickers are on Rock cds also. So I hope you are trying to say that all music with swearing sucks?
GTA_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTA_dude
Member since 2004 • 18358 Posts
I dont ****ing understand why the hells its so ****ing bad either. I personally dont see what the damn problem is with just saying a ****ing word about some **** that means the same damn thing as another damn word.
kakkarott23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kakkarott23
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
It is annoying when people curse for no reason. It should not be common language used on a daily, hourly, minutely basis. I also find it messed up when it is used to talk about me or someone else. However in those rare moments when it is needed then it is needed. So my opinion is save it for the right moment.
naydaslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 naydaslayer
Member since 2008 • 371 Posts
I prefer to have ceritan taboos against some words, it adds emphasis.
Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
People find them offensive or people think that the people who use them are in a low class status or are ignorant beacause they resort to a state of offensive verbal attack
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts
i dont see anything wrong with them but it does bother me when someone drops the f bomb 10 times in one sentence
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
It's immature.
craigrut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#20 craigrut
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts
I'm not a fan of it, cause I do it all the time. As other have stated, it loses it's oomph if you say it all the time... My new years resolution was to lay off of it quite a bit :). I'm not doing so well so far...
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#21 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
It's words to me although can't stand people that say it every 2 or 3 words.