What's going on with Gamespot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ValValence
Member since 2013 • 58 Posts

What's happened to Gamespot? Gamespot has sucked lately, I mean first a lot of the games have no info about them other than their supposed release date and box art, if even that, and a lot of the time they get the release dates wrong. Then there was that obvious Paid Review for Metro Last Light, which is a good game and a solid 8 don't get me wrong but they had banner ads and the amazon equivalent of a Buy It Now button next to the review, and really gave a pass to the problems it does have.

Gamespot had a scandle with paid reviews in the past when a reviewer had too much integrity to lie about Kane and Lynch 2, they seemed to be getting better for awhile there but when you put up a Buy It Now button and banner ads around your review you make it obvious you're a branch of the industry's marketing. Now they're shutting down forums for games, like Remember Me, what the hell? What happened to the Gamespot that was actually sort of cool, that started giving honest reviews for once and had all kinds of useful info on games? Did someone else take over?

PS: This post isn't entirely about Paid Reviews, but I have to explain the difference between calling a review paid because you disagree with it, and calling it paid because all the evidence points in that direction. In this case, there's a a buy it button, banner ads, and tons of promotional videos clearly coloring the bias of the reviewer whether you agree with the score or not, which I actually do consider a reasonable score. There's a difference between being critical of industry bull **** and disagreeing with the score.

PSS: The industry wants us to be apathetic and just forget everything it does wrong ignore it and just deal with it. I think that's pretty anti-consumer, the industry will do whatever it feels it can get away with and it only stops pushing when there's push back.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I don't think that the place is particularly well-run at this point.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I feel like people have been complaining about Gamespot since at least back when I first joined (May 2006), so I dunno. Overall it seems the same to me, except for the split with GameFAQs. I've never heard about the Kain and Lynch thing though, dang. :?
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I feel like people have been complaining about Gamespot since at least back when I first joined (May 2006), so I dunno. Overall it seems the same to me, except for the split with GameFAQs. I've never heard about the Kain and Lynch thing though, dang. :?Aquat1cF1sh
people have been complaining about GS since as long as I can remember.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I sometimes forget Gamespot is a gaming website. I'm just here for OT. That said, OT seems to be getting the Detroit treatment, with the forum getting noticeably less active than before.

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ValValence
Yeah but for awhile Gamespot seemed to be getting better. They started reviewing games more honestly, had more info on games, and generally stopped sucking for awhile. Then like a couple of months ago maybe, they started sucking again. I don't know what happened, but it's not even like the same company from a few months ago.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i dont have a problem with gamespot.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Were you the user with the cat dj sig thing
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
The sites overall performance each year seems to have a biorhythm going. At one point, its stable, fast, and has minimal glitches. Then at another point, the site practically becomes unusable, unstable, slow, and glitches haven. Its been like this for years, I think back in 2008 it was at its all time worse in terms of site stability and speed.Since then, its been up and down...
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

I sometimes forget Gamespot is a gaming website. I'm just here for OT. That said, OT seems to be getting the Detroit treatment, with the forum getting noticeably less active than before. one_plum

Heh, only reason I'm here, too. It was a lot more active in 2008-2009, for sure. 
God bless,
Crushmaster.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#11 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
they're shutting down the forums??? :| i've been away for too long
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
[QUOTE="ValValence"] Now they're shutting down forums for games, like Remember Me, what the hell?

WHAT? where did you get that from? link needed.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"] people have been complaining about GS since as long as I can remember.

Pretty much.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="ValValence"] Now they're shutting down forums for games, like Remember Me, what the hell?

Same thing I'm wondering...
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#15 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
It's a sinking ship. Many features of the site have been forgotten and have never been updated to fit in with each new design.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#16 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Things sure have changed around here within the past few years. The forums aren't as active as they used to be and there's been some features removed recently, such as user videos and stuff.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
because GS got low energy pyjama reviewer.... just compare them with IGN ..... where everyone takes caffein
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

I miss old reviews like Jeff Gertsman, Alex Navarro and Greg Kasavin. My opinions and views on games were much more along with theirs. Back when even a 7.0 was a good game worth playing.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]I feel like people have been complaining about Gamespot since at least back when I first joined (May 2006), so I dunno. Overall it seems the same to me, except for the split with GameFAQs. I've never heard about the Kain and Lynch thing though, dang. :?Allicrombie

fix it alli

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ValValence
The sites overall performance each year seems to have a biorhythm going. At one point, its stable, fast, and has minimal glitches. Then at another point, the site practically becomes unusable, unstable, slow, and glitches haven. Its been like this for years, I think back in 2008 it was at its all time worse in terms of site stability and speed.Since then, its been up and down...tocool340
I haven't really been using Gamespot long enough to know, but I have been using it for a little over a year, and when I started using it, it was great. I didn't even feel the need to make an account, because everything was working so well I didn't feel the need to say anything. I sort of noticed a change about three months ago, the quality seemed to take a dive, then I started noticing sleezy corporate things that I previously hadn't noticed, and the way games are reviewed seemed to change. I started noticing games that advertised on the site, for example, got better reviews. I didn't feel the need to say anything until the obvious Paid Review for Metro Last Light though, it was the Buy It Now button and banner ads next to the review that did it, I don't know why Koch even felt they needed a paid review but they made it so obvious I couldn't write it off. Then after the Remember Me forum went missing, I had to say something. WTF is... Wrong with Gamespot?
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#21 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
You didn't agree with there opinion?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
You didn't agree with there opinion?Wilfred_Owen
No no, it was clearly paid! Nobody could possibly have a different opinion to him.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#23 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

For actual reviews I go with Angry Joe. But to be honest you shouldn't pay much attention to reviews anyway. If you don't trust the reviews of a site then make sure you stear clear of them.

That whole Kane and Lynch review was pretty sad

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
Eh..who knows, I like IGN more, I just come here for the forums.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

people have been complaining about GS since as long as I can remember.Allicrombie

Werd... I used to save links to the threads over the years but lost the folder, and got lazy :P

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ValValence
[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]You didn't agree with there opinion?bobbetybob
No no, it was clearly paid! Nobody could possibly have a different opinion to him.

I agreed actually. I would have given Metro Last Light an 8 but I could see it getting a 9. Downplaying the flaws was suspicious, but I could still see it. It was still clearly a paid review because the review was surrounded with banner ads and had a buy it now button next to it. And gamespot has had paid review scandals in the past, most notably the Kane and Lynch 2 debacle.
ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ValValence

For actual reviews I go with Angry Joe. But to be honest you shouldn't pay much attention to reviews anyway. If you don't trust the reviews of a site then make sure you stear clear of them.

That whole Kane and Lynch review was pretty sad

The_Gaming_Baby
See AngryJoe gave it the same score, and I can see it getting a 9, the thing is, I didn't see Metro Last Light banner ads all over AngryJoe's channel, I didn't see a buy it now button in AngryJoe's annotations or description, and I didn't hear AngryJoe ignoring and downplaying everything that was wrong with it, in fact he spent over half his video talking about what was wrong with it then explained why he gave it a 9. Gamespot could learn a lot from AngryJoe, if they're going to do paid reviews they could at least try not to make it so obvious. I'm not saying PAID REVIEW because I disagree with the review, I'm saying PAID REVIEW because Gamespot made it obvious that they are a paid for branch of the industry's marketing department, they didn't just review it, they're trying to sell it.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Haven't read an article on this site in ages.  I've just got the forums bookmarked.  Bad enough this place is nothing but a branch of the marketing department for the games industry, but most of their articles sound like something out of a high school newspaper.

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ValValence
Eh..who knows, I like IGN more, I just come here for the forums.ultimameteora
I think IGN is worse about doing PAID REVIEWS than Gamespot. I mean look at Mass Effect 3, they even had an IGN Staff member in the game, as a support character on the Normandy.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
[QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]I feel like people have been complaining about Gamespot since at least back when I first joined (May 2006), so I dunno. Overall it seems the same to me, except for the split with GameFAQs. I've never heard about the Kain and Lynch thing though, dang. :?Allicrombie

Same, it's always been the "cool" thing to do. Yet if people really had a problem they wouldn't keep coming back.
ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
As far as reviews, docblaze28 on YouTube is real good.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
Reviews are just opinions. I don't pay much attention to them really....
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
gamespot has always been garbage and you've been here for less than 10 days dude
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]I feel like people have been complaining about Gamespot since at least back when I first joined (May 2006), so I dunno. Overall it seems the same to me, except for the split with GameFAQs. I've never heard about the Kain and Lynch thing though, dang. :?Rattlesnake_8

Same, it's always been the "cool" thing to do. Yet if people really had a problem they wouldn't keep coming back.

Agreed.

I always think its hilarious when people read reviews, get mad, and then scroll down to the comments to say "THIS IS WHY GS REVIEWS ARE IRRELEVANT!" or "THIS IS Y I DONT READ GS REVIEWS!!11" :lol:

On another note, how long are people going to keep bringing up that Kane and Lynch thing?

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"] people have been complaining about GS since as long as I can remember.

The complaints have always been valid, more so against the community here.
ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ValValence

[QUOTE="ValValence"] Now they're shutting down forums for games, like Remember Me, what the hell? VaguelyTagged

It looks like it came back up when I started making a stink about it.

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ValValence

On another note, how long are people going to keep bringing up that Kane and Lynch thing?

Lucky_Krystal

Forever, because Gamespot got busted for doing paid reviews and punishing someone for having too much integrity to do it.

Also because Gamespot is not just reviewing games, they're advertising them, and when they start putting checkout pages next to near perfect reviews, you'd have to be in deep denial not to see it.

funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
I dunno it has always had it's issues with proper...well everything. Glitchspot it was back in the day... I don't really put too much weight on any one review. It would be nice if reviewers were 100% honest in their reviewing but I know that in some cases this will and has happend and will continue to sometimes with, sometimes without public knowledge.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

'Tis evolving.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Forever, because Gamespot got busted for doing paid reviews and punishing someone for having too much integrity to do it.

Also because Gamespot is not just reviewing games, they're advertising them, and when they start putting checkout pages next to near perfect reviews, you'd have to be in deep denial not to see it.

ValValence

Yes yes I know. I've heard that story many times, I've been dissapointed in Gamespot, then I moved on.

What I don't get is why people like you just don't do the same. If this site is "oh so biased" and "corrupt" and causes you so much misery, then why don't you just leave? There are a number of other gaming sites/forums that you can be on.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I don't know, but at some point it became okay to post blog-worthy articles on the front page. Just like Kotaku.

GameSpot has gotten so repetitive with their scores, the stupid "Skyrim Mods, Escape to Mount Stupid, ect" are just bad and the forums are still ancient in terms of website design.

The only reason I still come here is because they're fast with actual GAMING NEWS. Yes I want to read about a release date or new trailer, no I don't want to read about your opinions regarding sexism, Carol.

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ValValence

Yes yes I know. I've heard that story many times, I've been dissapointed in Gamespot, then I moved on.

What I don't get is why people like you just don't do the same. If this site is "oh so biased" and "corrupt" and causes you so much misery, then why don't you just leave? There are a number of other gaming sites/forums that you can be on.Lucky_Krystal

Because I like to call out Paid Reviews and there's no reason we should all just forget it happened when they have an Amazon checkout page and banner ads all over a review and people are pretending the only reason to suspect it's paid is if you disagree with it. No, there's a lot of reason to suspect it's paid, plus they have a history.

And a year ago, Gamespot seemed pretty cool, it wasn't so transparently sleazy, it had useful information on games (contrasted to now when you get box art and a name and that's it for a lot of them), I came here mainly to learn what new games were coming out and see what people were saying about them I didn't feel a need to even create an account and say something until recently. Gamespot is an inferior site to the one I saw a year ago, it's also got a sleaze factor that wasn't obvious a year ago.

Should we really just shut up and not call out the bull ****? That's what the industry would want, but that's bad for consumers. Calling out the bull **** in the industry is the only way anything ever gets done about it.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

There's always something wrong with this site. We just have to #dealwithit.

ValValence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ValValence

There's always something wrong with this site. We just have to #dealwithit.

soulless4now

But should we let the industry do whatever it wants and never call out it's bull ****?

Because I can see why the industry wants that, but it's bad for consumers and I can't see why anyone else would.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]I feel like people have been complaining about Gamespot since at least back when I first joined (May 2006), so I dunno. Overall it seems the same to me, except for the split with GameFAQs. I've never heard about the Kain and Lynch thing though, dang. :?wis3boi

fix it alli

I'm sure she can fix something, considering she has the banning wonder powers! :D
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"] people have been complaining about GS since as long as I can remember.Toph_Girl250

fix it alli

I'm sure she can fix something, considering she has the banning wonder powers! :D

give us your list of names