What would you have done in my situation?

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MajorSport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MajorSport
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

Last night, I was sleeping in my dorm room when I was woken up by lots of light flooding into my room. I looked toward the door and saw a large black man unplugging all the wires from my roommate's TV. Most of the campus went home for Easter, so it was just me and one other person on the entire floor of my dorm building. I was paralyzed with fear and didn't know what to do, so I put my head down and acted like I was asleep. About a minute later, the thief was gone.

Now, he had to have known I was in there because a few of the things he stole, including my wallet and my cell phone, were on my desk which is right beside my bed. There were either multiple thieves or the man made multiple trips because, all in all, he stole my roommate's 42" TV, my Xbox and all 10 or so of my games, my Band of Brothers DVD set, my wallet, my phone, and my backpack. I slept through most of it because (I'll give him credit) he was very quiet and quick-moving, and I was sound asleep because I have a sinus infection. I also had a fan running the whole time, which made it even harder to hear the thief. When I was sure he was gone, I ran to my friend's room and woke her up. From there, we called campus security and the police department.

This is pretty much the craziest thing that has happened to me (I've lived a rather boring life). Any comments/reactions? What would you have done if you woke up with a thief in your dorm room?

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
I would have woke up and scared teh hell out of him.....assuming he would have run like hell...
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#3 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I would have got up and asked what the hell he's doing.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Not sure if you're allowed weapons in the dorm. Though I would of pulled my 12 ga shotgun out and preceded to shoo him off. I'm not the type to let people walk all over me.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
I would have created a sign stating NO LARGE BLACK THIEVES ALLOWED and showed him. Surely he would have dropped the items he was carrying and left.
tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

Just gone, 'shut the door on your way out..'.

Avatar image for thunderboltkidx
thunderboltkidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thunderboltkidx
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I would probably have done the same thing, honestly. Though, I always sleep with my phone on my bed, so I probably would have called 911 quietly. I would have been afraid of the thief/thieves attacking me, so trying to keep myself from harm would have been more important to me than objects that can be replaced.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

That's why I sleep with a weapon. I would have jumped up and stabbed him a few times, then called the police.

EDIT: After reading your whole post, I get the impression you are a female. In that case, I guess I would have done what you did. I am thinking from my point of view with my first response. I am a male 240LB and 6'3", so I am not little myself. I would buy a gun if I were you and learn how to use it. Sleep with that at night. If you are scared to shoot somebody out of fear of killing them, then just put a round in their leg.

MajorSport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MajorSport

That's why I sleep with a weapon. I would have jumped up and stabbed him a few times, then called the police.

EDIT: After reading your whole post, I get the impression you are a female. In that case, I guess I would have done what you did. I am thinking from my point of view with my first response. I am a male 240LB and 6'3", so I am not little myself. I would buy a gun if I were you and learn how to use it. Sleep with that at night. If you are scared to shoot somebody out of fear of killing them, the just put a round in their leg.

AmazonTreeBoa

Well...turns out I'm a guy. I'm not very big, though. About 5'8", 125 lbs (I'm a distance runner for my university). I'm not too keen on the idea of taking on a thief who is much bigger than me, especially in the middle of the night when I'm sick with a sinus infection.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts
I'd offer him a glass of water because I'm a good host unlike someone I know.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
You should have screamed. If they were just thieves, they would have ran off. However, this is extremely risky. But risky life is a good life, right?
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I'd pick up the bed lamp and break his skull. Then call 122, kthxbai.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

What would you have done if you woke up with a thief in your dorm room?

MajorSport
Kept the door locked. If he managed to break in, I would have stopped him. It's my stuff. I prefer to keep it that way. I don't want other people (police) involved if they don't have to be.
eyebrowless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 eyebrowless
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
I would have told him to get the heck out of my room
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I probably would have asked him to leave my backpack as all my notes are in there and it's priceless to me, worthless to everyone else. I'm sure there are plenty of ways that could go wrong, but I think if that happened to me I would try my best to not startle him, yet still get his attention ad ask if he can leave me my notes. While I'm at it I might ask him if he can leave the wallet, but take the credit cards and money, I like my wallet for one and I'd prefer not to replace every single card I have in there.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Jump up, land a couple good body shots to give me enough time to make it passed the doorway and run down the hall screaming "THEIF!"

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theone86

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

EDIT: After reading your whole post, I get the impression you are a female. In that case, I guess I would have done what you did. I am thinking from my point of view with my first response. I am a male 240LB and 6'3", so I am not little myself. I would buy a gun if I were you and learn how to use it. Sleep with that at night. If you are scared to shoot somebody out of fear of killing them, the just put a round in their leg.

MajorSport

Well...turns out I'm a guy. I'm not very big, though. About 5'8", 125 lbs (I'm a distance runner for my university). I'm not too keen on the idea of taking on a thief who is much bigger than me, especially in the middle of the night when I'm sick with a sinus infection.

Yeah, I think you're pretty sane for doing this. I'm a lot bigger than you and I don't think I'd take on a miscellaneous stranger lurking in my room.

Avatar image for Stunneronureyez
Stunneronureyez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stunneronureyez
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

I would have confronted him and physically fought him if I had to. No way I would allow someone to steal anything from me, let alone from the place where I am living.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Why was your door unlocked?
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

Specifically, this is the reason I keep a hand and a half long sword, a two handed bastard sword and my white ash bohken within a five foot security parameter of my bed side.

I don't want to kill an intruder, just make them piss their pants and hopefully run for their life.

ed: I forgot about the 12" bowie knife behind the headboard.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I would roll out of my bed, grabbed my camera, record so the police know who to look for roll back into my bed, then act as if I'm asleep. I don't want to take a risk of getting shot in case he had a itchy finger and gun...
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I just don't have it in me to let someone steal my stuff right in front of me. Is that smart?...probably not. But I would take it as 'not being a man'. That does not mean I would go at someone face to face though (if I felt the odds were not in my favor). If I felt I could take him, then I would go at hijm right then. If I felt I could not take him, then I would wait and hit him over the head wih something (this is what I would do if I was 125lbs like TC)
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theone86

Skarwolf

That all goes way beyond what you can legally do to an intruder and you would leave plenty of evidence to support his testimony against you.

MajorSport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MajorSport
Thing is, the thief was pretty much on his way out by the time I was actually awake, so it's not like I watched him take my stuff for ten minutes. More like one minute. I also sleep on the top bunk, so trying to sneak off my bed and grab something would have made a lot of noise.
Purdicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Purdicus
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

It's almost impossiblefor anyone to predict what they might actually do in a situation like that unless they've been there. Since you're in college, you should go to the health center and talk to the school psychologist about it. But whatever you do, don't beat yourself up or second-guess your reaction.If you got out of it without physical harm, then you did the right thing.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Well If that would have happened to me at my house. I would have reduced him to a large stain on my carpet with my 12 gauge ( Its just a few feet from my bed) BUT, Since your on a college campus firearms wouldn't usually be an option so I would have jumped out of bed chased him out of the room. Tackled him, beat the crap out of him (assuming I had a size advantage) and call security. I have a better question though, Who the hell keeps their door unlocked?
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rawsavon
I hope everyon ITT knows that (even in states like Texas) deadly force is only allowed when your life is actually in danger. If someone breaks in =/= you can shoot them If someone breaks in with a weapon and tries to come at you = you can (usually) shoot them The courts do not view the loss of property as a reason to kill someone It would not be worth the loss of your freedom to shoot/stab/kill someone over stuff
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86

I hope everyon ITT knows that (even in states like Texas) deadly force is only allowed when your life is actually in danger. If someone breaks in =/= you can shoot them If someone breaks in with a weapon and tries to come at you = you can (usually) shoot them The courts do not view the loss of property as a reason to kill someone It would not be worth the loss of your freedom to shoot/stab/kill someone over stuff rawsavon

That sounds a little strange, I would think you would be able to shoot an intruder, especially if you couldn't tell if they were armed or not. Shooting to kill, though, is a different story, as is tying someone up and performing electroshock therapy on them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I would have beat the s*** out of him. I don't know why you didn't.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I hope everyon ITT knows that (even in states like Texas) deadly force is only allowed when your life is actually in danger. If someone breaks in =/= you can shoot them If someone breaks in with a weapon and tries to come at you = you can (usually) shoot them The courts do not view the loss of property as a reason to kill someone It would not be worth the loss of your freedom to shoot/stab/kill someone over stuff theone86

That sounds a little strange, I would think you would be able to shoot an intruder, especially if you couldn't tell if they were armed or not. Shooting to kill, though, is a different story, as is tying someone up and performing electroshock therapy on them.

There have been several cases where the courts have NOT sided with the person being robbed.
Granted it is usually up to a jury (so all bets are off).

But, for the most part, property does not give you the right to shoot/stab/etc (especially when they are trying to escape with your property).
The short version is that you are only able to respond with like force.
-someone tries to car jack you with a gun = you can shoot them (usually).
-someone steals your car (you are not in it) = you can't shoot them

You are not even able to set up 'traps' for robbers (great case involving a shotgun trap in house that was robbed multiple times)

This came as quite shock to me (especially in my home state of Texas) when I had to take my business law cIasses

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
You have to stand up for yourself sometimes man, I have gotten into fights when I was outnumbered/outsized but if I hadn't I would have regretted it the rest of my life.... in fact there was ONE fight I did run from and every time I think about it I feel disgusted with myself. It is highly unlikely the guy would have gutted you or something.... most likely he just wanted to find the easiest place to steal (everyone was gone...) and is a chicken ****!!!! One word and he would have dropped the tv and ran like hell.
RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

Thats a intense story dude, sucks you got robbed but atleast no physical harm happened to you. Jusdt think maybe if you did confront him something alot worse could have happened.

As for what I would do, well I don't really know as when your in the situation it's alot differnet than when your thinking about the situation. I would like to think I would have done something to stop him from stealing all my stuff but most likely woulda just laid there like you did maybe try to follow him out and get a better look at who i'm dealing with and get some evidence for the police.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

This is what happens, because they don't let you keep a 12 gauge in your dorm. You just get out of bed and pump that chump... full of lead. Show him how surgical itcan be up close. "You wants some of this?CLANK CLANK- BOOM! Have another, I insist. CLANK CLANK - BOOM!"

Or keep a nice stabbin knife with a 9" blade and a blood canal on both sides of the blade. Just stab the night away.

Perhaps keep a hammer under your pillow so you can just cave his skull in. Make aperformace out of it. Just wack away wall singing "Once... twice... three times the cave in." Or have your buddy jump on the piano and go ragtime while you tenderize the intruders brains. Show that chump how to do he grey matter groove.

Avatar image for Stunneronureyez
Stunneronureyez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stunneronureyez
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I hope everyon ITT knows that (even in states like Texas) deadly force is only allowed when your life is actually in danger. If someone breaks in =/= you can shoot them If someone breaks in with a weapon and tries to come at you = you can (usually) shoot them The courts do not view the loss of property as a reason to kill someone It would not be worth the loss of your freedom to shoot/stab/kill someone over stuff rawsavon

There have been several cases where the courts have NOT sided with the person being robbed.
Granted it is usually up to a jury (so all bets are off).

But, for the most part, property does not give you the right to shoot/stab/etc (especially when they are trying to escape with your property).
The short version is that you are only able to respond with like force.
-someone tries to car jack you with a gun = you can shoot them (usually).
-someone steals your car (you are not in it) = you can't shoot them

You are not even able to set up 'traps' for robbers (great case involving a shotgun trap in house that was robbed multiple times)

This came as quite shock to me (especially in my home state of Texas) when I had to take my business law cIasses

I really dislike that law. But if it's your house and it's just you and them and you kill them, you have the advantage of the courts only being able to hear your side of the story.

I'm on jury duty next week and in such a scenario I think it is very likely that I would side with the person whose house is being robbed and is the real victim.

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
I really would have asked what he was doing or attacked him, and I'm tiny and female. Your roommate is going to kill you if you tell him you woke up
MajorSport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MajorSport
Everyone is a bad ass on the internet, I guess. I'm just glad I'm not hurt. I ran a bunch of scenarios through my head of me confronting the guy, and they all ended up with me beat up or dead. I've never been in a fight before, and I wasn't about to have a sudden change of heart or spike of aggression in the middle of the night, all alone in my dorm building (except for a girl down the hallway).
MajorSport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MajorSport
[QUOTE="HybridPhoenix"]I really would have asked what he was doing or attacked him, and I'm tiny and female. Your roommate is going to kill you if you tell him you woke up

No offense, but I don't think you would have gotten very far attacking him. He was easily over 200 lbs and athletic. Non-maleficence seemed like the best option, so I took it.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Come on guys, there's no way all of you would just jump up out of the bed and go like FIGHTING MODE ON: Whirlwind Kick!!!!!!! right after waking up from some random noise, all dazed/groggy'd up.

Personally, I'd be so caught off guard there's no way I would've done anything else than panic and pretend to be dead. :p

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
Everyone is a bad ass on the internet, I guess. I'm just glad I'm not hurt. I ran a bunch of scenarios through my head of me confronting the guy, and they all ended up with me beat up or dead. I've never been in a fight before, and I wasn't about to have a sudden change of heart or spike of aggression in the middle of the night, all alone in my dorm building (except for a girl down the hallway).MajorSport
If you are really only 125lb and never been in a fight no one blames you for the way you acted.. it most likely was the right thing to do... but with that said... many of us have been in situation where it is 3 or 4 on 1 and still fought and would mostly have done the same in that situation. Again no one looks down on you...
MiloZEgamer34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MiloZEgamer34
Member since 2010 • 589 Posts

I would probably have done the same thing, honestly. Though, I always sleep with my phone on my bed, so I probably would have called 911 quietly. I would have been afraid of the thief/thieves attacking me, so trying to keep myself from harm would have been more important to me than objects that can be replaced.thunderboltkidx
quiet 911 call? haha i would rather scare the creep so he wouldnt finish stealing everything.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

MajorSport

Two words: Barrel Roll

MiloZEgamer34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MiloZEgamer34
Member since 2010 • 589 Posts

[QUOTE="MajorSport"]

F22_King_Raptor

Two words: Barrel Roll

lol
mamelon2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mamelon2012
Member since 2011 • 309 Posts

Everyone is a bad ass on the internet, I guess. I'm just glad I'm not hurt. I ran a bunch of scenarios through my head of me confronting the guy, and they all ended up with me beat up or dead. I've never been in a fight before, and I wasn't about to have a sudden change of heart or spike of aggression in the middle of the night, all alone in my dorm building (except for a girl down the hallway).MajorSport

I think you nailed it here. No one can really say how they would react until they were in the situation. Its pretty easy to say youd get up and punch the guy in the ribs and run... if the guy is robbing college dorms he prob wouldnt think twice about stabbing you in order to sell your tv for a hundred bucks out of the back of his POS car somewhere....

I think you did the right thing. Its definitely not worth getting hurt over anything that is replaceable. Your college owes you some $ my friend

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
Why was your door unlocked?Rocky32189
yep and if it was one dude i would have jumped him
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

[QUOTE="MajorSport"]Everyone is a bad ass on the internet, I guess. I'm just glad I'm not hurt. I ran a bunch of scenarios through my head of me confronting the guy, and they all ended up with me beat up or dead. I've never been in a fight before, and I wasn't about to have a sudden change of heart or spike of aggression in the middle of the night, all alone in my dorm building (except for a girl down the hallway).mamelon2012

I think you nailed it here. No one can really say how they would react until they were in the situation. Its pretty easy to say youd get up and punch the guy in the ribs and run... if the guy is robbing college dorms he prob wouldnt think twice about stabbing you in order to sell your tv for a hundred bucks out of the back of his POS car somewhere....

I think you did the right thing. Its definitely not worth getting hurt over anything that is replaceable. Your college owes you some $ my friend

Why would he need to get reimbursed? He left the door unlocked.
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

The moment I notice my stuff is missing, I'd have probably gone nuts.

lexika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lexika
Member since 2009 • 873 Posts
I probably would've sobbed under the covers lol. I'm a big wimp.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Why don't you have a baseball bat in your room? Or some kind of other weapon you can use to defend yourself? Even on an air force base I kept a bat next to my bed. And it came in handy when dorm parties got out of hand, or to break up fights. To this day I keep a bat in next to the coat rack by the door, but that's all just for lack of a better place for it, considering I have a handgun.

You should have stood up for yourself, man. Might still have your things if you did.