What modern Western would you recommend?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

If you were to recommend one modern (as in 2010+) Western to watch, would would it be?

I think the best I've seen recently is probably Sweet Country, which is a really, really slow movie, but builds up like volcano.

For the sake of argument, let's not include hybrid movies like Bone Tomahawk which is basically part horror.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It's 1992 but Unforgiven is one of my favorites. Really a deconstruction of Westerns. Instead of glorifying the shootout between the good guy and the bad guy, they dwell on the horror of taking a life and the toll it takes on the survivor.

If you want something a little more traditional, Tombstone is also good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

@Byshop said:

If you want something a little more traditional, Tombstone is also good.

Yea seen this a few times, pretty good. Kurt Russell Russel was in more of them. He's made for them.

Loading Video...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Tarantino's Hateful Eight(ful) is pretty epic. Not sure I'd call it a Western exactly. Also Kurt Russell.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
  • True Grit (2010)
  • Hell or High Water (2016)
  • Hostiles (2017)

Hell or High Water is like a western set in current times. Hostiles is more of a movie that occurs in the Old West but not really a western.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@Byshop: That's a great movie!

It's a stretch, but I feel No Country For Old Men is pseudo-Western, and absolutely enjoy watching the movie from end to end.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I know you said 2010 onward, but I'm going to go back a bit because there are some older-but-not-spaghetti-western-old movies that are really timeless:

• Hell or High Water (2016): while it takes place in modern times, it has all the variables of a great western. Likeable and charismatic outlaws? Check. Gritty, gruff, and tough law men? Check. Bank robberies? Check. Horses? No, but fast cars and isn't that really a whole lot better? A really great standoff at the end of the movie? Check. Seriously go watch it now. It has Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges, too!
  • The Hateful Eight (2015): Tarantino's Western epic of sorts, it has a great cast (as usual) and great writing. It's also pretty grim and such, but it's just one of those movies you can't take your eyes off of. It was also filmed in this rare film size and while I don't know if it translates to digital, it made for a very unique and awesome experience in theaters.
  • Bone Tomahawk (2015): it's a Western horror starring Kurt Russell. 'nuff said. And not a too-clever-for-its-own-good horror, just a straight-up gruesome Western horror movie done well
  • Django Unchained (2012): do you like schadenfruede? Because there is nothing better than watching bigots get their comeuppance from a slave-turned-bounty-hunter for a couple hours. Stars the amazing Christoph Waltz and great Jamie Foxx.
  • The Salvation (2014): this is probably my favorite Western in the past few years. It's a great tale of revenge and justice starring the badass Mads Mikkelson as an immigrant coming to the West with his wife, only thing go wrong and, well, chaos ensues. Just a thoroughly awesome movie.
  • Revenent (2015): Leonardo fights a bear and lives. Then goes after the sum'bitch that left him for dead. Great movie! Great cast.
  • Woman Walks Ahead (2017): I didn't see it, but I heard great things. It's more of a biopic than a traditional shoot 'em up Western, but you need that every so often, yeah?
  • The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018): one of those anthology films, it has a lot of great actors in a selection of shorts. Some are weird, some are sad, some border on supernatural...all are really, really great. I mean it's not so much that there are any bad shorts in it, just ones you like less than the ones you like a lot.
  • Westworld (2016-): I know it's technically sci-fi, but the Western elements are still prevalent throughout. In other words, it scratches that itch.
  • Wind River (2017): another Western that occurs during modern times, this movie is all about atmosphere. Takes place in Wyoming or somewhere where it gets freezing ass cold (like, breathe too hard your lungs freeze and rupture cold!) on a depressing Indian reservation. It's half Western, half murder mystery, and half cop movie. But all goooooood. Stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen, the two most underused and underrated actors in the MCU :D

Hmmm I didn't have to actually list any old ones after all. Guess the Western genre is alive and well!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Loved Django. All the leads were phenomenal.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I enjoyed The Magnificent Seven. It has Denzel Washington. Nuff said.