What is so good about One Piece?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I never really liked the anime, thought the characters were horrible and that it was pretty damn boring, and I thought it wasn't considered a good anime.

But I've been reading and it turns out its one of the most critically acclaimed animes and that it's been running for over 10 years (How the hell can you be a fan of that thing? Aren't you tired of waiting over 10 years for an ending?) and that the anime has over 600 episodes.

However, I really don't see how that could be possible, it seems like a horrible anime.

mM0MF

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
sometimes people have different tastes than you do. people like the characters, the action, the comedy. everything. leave one piece alone
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
What Evan said
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Haven't watched anime, but manga was great. The plot, especially the later ones are really well-thought out, and Oda's characterization skill hits its stride once it enters the later arcs. Then it got really, really bad. btw, what's wrong with waiting for 10 years for something to end? You know how many years TSOIAF fans have been waiting right now?
GT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GT90
Member since 2002 • 6256 Posts

Well it seems you already made up your mind and probably won't be convinced by someone who does like the series. But the fact that it hasn't ended shouldn't really matter. It was pointed out to me the other day that Superman, Batman and Spiderman have been running for much longer and people still happily read those. So length should not be an issue.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

What Evan saiddave123321
It's against the rules to use someone's real name. Gonna have to report you - tsk. 

DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

I haven't watched in years but

1. Colorful and interesting heroes/villains

2. A long and engaging story

3. Exciting action scenes

4. Comedy

5. The mythology and history within the show's universe

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="dave123321"]What Evan saidFightingfan
It's against the rules to use someone's real name.

Tell Evan to report me then
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="dave123321"]What Evan saiddave123321
It's against the rules to use someone's real name.

Tell Evan to report me then

Can't lazy.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It's a shounen fighting manga. Reading it for the story is the wrong reason if you ask me. It's all about the fights and art.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]sometimes people have different tastes than you do. people like the characters, the action, the comedy. everything. leave one piece alone

I'm shocked and appalled at this sudden realization. I need a drink
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I don't know about the anime as I've never seen it, but the manga is phenomenal. The first 33 or so volumes are like an above average shonen manga, but then it gets really good, and this is coming from someone who isn't really a big fan of fighting and power-ups and whatnot. There's a really nice balance of plot, character background and development, and action. Sure, the action's there, but if you're not a big fan of it it's not really a big deal. I'm not sure how far into it you got but I'd say you gave up on it way too fast. :P
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]sometimes people have different tastes than you do. people like the characters, the action, the comedy. everything. leave one piece alone

I'm shocked and appalled at this sudden realization. I need a drink

my job is done. i'll buy you that drink
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cain006

I don't know about the anime as I've never seen it, but the manga is phenomenal. The first 33 or so volumes are like an above average shonen manga, but then it gets really good, and this is coming from someone who isn't really a big fan of fighting and power-ups and whatnot. There's a really nice balance of plot, character background and development, and action. Sure, the action's there, but if you're not a big fan of it it's not really a big deal. I'm not sure how far into it you got but I'd say you gave up on it way too fast. :PAquat1cF1sh
Where's volume 33 at? I stopped reading it a bit after the skypeia arc I think.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

[QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]I don't know about the anime as I've never seen it, but the manga is phenomenal. The first 33 or so volumes are like an above average shonen manga, but then it gets really good, and this is coming from someone who isn't really a big fan of fighting and power-ups and whatnot. There's a really nice balance of plot, character background and development, and action. Sure, the action's there, but if you're not a big fan of it it's not really a big deal. I'm not sure how far into it you got but I'd say you gave up on it way too fast. :Pcain006

It's right after Skypiea. :P Water 7 starts after that.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cain006

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"]I don't know about the anime as I've never seen it, but the manga is phenomenal. The first 33 or so volumes are like an above average shonen manga, but then it gets really good, and this is coming from someone who isn't really a big fan of fighting and power-ups and whatnot. There's a really nice balance of plot, character background and development, and action. Sure, the action's there, but if you're not a big fan of it it's not really a big deal. I'm not sure how far into it you got but I'd say you gave up on it way too fast. :PAquat1cF1sh

Ah. I think I was watching the anime at the time, but that whole cloud area was waaaaay too long. I switched to the manga like halfway through it I think and even then it was taking forever.

Ah well I haven't even enjoyed any shounen stuff except Hajime no Ippo in a long time.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
I like it.. great characters with good back story.. My fav arc is the entire Enies lobby arc.. absolutely phenomenal that arc..
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I don't like the One Piece anime, I find it's animation quality very subpar and plagued with fillers. But as the far manga, it's the best out there. The sense of adventure, comedy, array of varied characters and the quality writing constantly keeps it at the top of the game.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"][QUOTE="cain006"]Where's volume 33 at? I stopped reading it a bit after the skypeia arc I think.

cain006

Ah. I think I was watching the anime at the time, but that whole cloud area was waaaaay too long. I switched to the manga like halfway through it I think and even then it was taking forever.

Ah well I haven't even enjoyed any shounen stuff except Hajime no Ippo in a long time.

Just skip Skypeia. Its barely relevant. Go straight to Water 7 and dont look back. Youre missing out on the greatest arc in One Piece.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng

It's a shounen fighting manga. Reading it for the story is the wrong reason if you ask me. It's all about the fights and art.

cain006
Meh. Look what happened to Bleach. Absolutely disgusting. You need good story to satisfy people.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cain006

I don't like the One Piece anime, I find it's animation quality very subpar and plagued with fillers. But as the far manga, it's the best out there. The sense of adventure, comedy, array of varied characters and the quality writing constantly keeps it at the top of the game.Shottayouth13-
I may have stopped reading One Piece right before the best arc apparently but I doubt it's better than REAL, Homunculus, or even Hajime no Ippo. It's better to just say one of the best so you don't piss people off :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]I don't like the One Piece anime, I find it's animation quality very subpar and plagued with fillers. But as the far manga, it's the best out there. The sense of adventure, comedy, array of varied characters and the quality writing constantly keeps it at the top of the game.cain006

I may have stopped reading One Piece right before the best arc apparently but I doubt it's better than REAL, Homunculus, or even Hajime no Ippo. It's better to just say one of the best so you don't piss people off :P

REAL and Homuculus are so different from One Piece that it's impossible to compare. And I liked OP more than Homunculus, tbh. But REAL is legit gold.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shottayouth13-

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]I don't like the One Piece anime, I find it's animation quality very subpar and plagued with fillers. But as the far manga, it's the best out there. The sense of adventure, comedy, array of varied characters and the quality writing constantly keeps it at the top of the game.cain006

Never heard of REAL nor Homonculus, and Hajime is too far ahead for me to catch up. If you can get past the art and wackiness in One Piece, and really give it a try, you'll find that there's a very rich, deep and engaging story. There is a reason why it's the number 1 selling manga for however long now.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cain006

REAL and Homuculus are so different from One Piece that it's impossible to compare. And I liked OP more than Homunculus, tbh. But REAL is legit gold.funsohng
Ha well I just finished Homunculus and one of the characters really hit home with me. I guess what I meant was I enjoyed those more than One Piece. I get what you're saying though, One Piece is probably very good at what it does. That Skypiea arc was just bad though, it really turned me off of the series.

Also while I've got you, you know any series similar to Homunculus or REAL? They're probably my two favorite manga.

Never heard of REAL nor Homonculus, and Hajime is too far ahead for me to catch up. If you can get past the art and wackiness in One Piece, and really give it a try, you'll find that there's a very rich, deep and engaging story. There is a reason why it's the number 1 selling manga for however long now.Shottayouth13-
Ah you should check out REAL, it has something for everyone. I'll probably give One Piece another chance when I have a bunch of free time. And Hajime no Ippo is at its best while you're not waiting for chapters to come out. It kind of sucks when you're up to date honestly because the story moves so slowly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Ah, I remember a time when I used to love One Piece. It was way back when I was a wee little lad 2 years ago, still young and hopeful, with all of my anime sigs. But, alas, I eventually got tired of One Piece and moved on to american shows. The show was hilarious though.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shottayouth13-

[QUOTE="funsohng"] REAL and Homuculus are so different from One Piece that it's impossible to compare. And I liked OP more than Homunculus, tbh. But REAL is legit gold.cain006

Ha well I just finished Homunculus and one of the characters really hit home with me. I guess what I meant was I enjoyed those more than One Piece. I get what you're saying though, One Piece is probably very good at what it does. That Skypiea arc was just bad though, it really turned me off of the series.

Also while I've got you, you know any series similar to Homunculus or REAL? They're probably my two favorite manga.

Never heard of REAL nor Homonculus, and Hajime is too far ahead for me to catch up. If you can get past the art and wackiness in One Piece, and really give it a try, you'll find that there's a very rich, deep and engaging story. There is a reason why it's the number 1 selling manga for however long now.Shottayouth13-
Ah you should check out REAL, it has something for everyone. I'll probably give One Piece another chance when I have a bunch of free time. And Hajime no Ippo is at its best while you're not waiting for chapters to come out. It kind of sucks when you're up to date honestly because the story moves so slowly.

Yeah, I'll be checking out REAL.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"] REAL and Homuculus are so different from One Piece that it's impossible to compare. And I liked OP more than Homunculus, tbh. But REAL is legit gold.cain006

Homunculus, no. It's one of a kind. There are a lot of stuff that has roughly the similar atmosphere, but never the depth of it. REAL.... well, Slam Dunk and Vagabond, obviously. I don't read manga nowadays, the only manga I do read weekly is Hunter x Hunter, and that is currently on hold for nearly 2 years now.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#28 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

cain006
Could never get into the fights because of Luffy...I seriously hate any character who has elastic powers, IMO its the lamest superpower you can have so it really ruins the fights for me.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng

Ah, I remember a time when I used to love One Piece. It was way back when I was a wee little lad 2 years ago, still young and hopeful, with all of my anime sigs. But, alas, I eventually got tired of One Piece and moved on to american shows. The show was hilarious though.

XVision84
I remember your anime sigs!
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I used to hate One Piece with a passion. I'd be like WTF IS THAT SHIT..... now six hundred and fourteen episodes in and dam I'm sad that I have to wait a week just so I could watch it :(. One Piece is very rewarding if you put the time into it. I like the anime haven't read manga in a long time ^^. I admit I didn't enjoy the merman island arc though I thought it was shit!!! last fight was cool though.
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I used to hate One Piece with a passion. I'd be like WTF IS THAT SHIT..... now six hundred and fourteen episodes in and dam I'm sad that I have to wait a week just so I could watch it :(. One Piece is very rewarding if you put the time into it. I like the anime haven't read manga in a long time ^^. I admit I didn't enjoy the merman island arc though I thought it was shit!!! last fight was cool though.CoolSkAGuy
Oh cool my 10,000 post :D
k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

One Piece is kinda of boring to me 

I think Naruto is 10 times better anime with better story and characters

But I still watch One Piece because it has great action and fights along with Luffy which is a nice character.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

not into anime.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts
"I'm just saying you can do better, tell me have you heard that lately? Since you picked up, i know he's not around"
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

It's a well balanced, long ongoing series that has not jumped the shark in some way, like Naruto (Sasuke) & Bleach(everything past Soul Socity).

That said, I do find the series very overated. And One Piece fanboys get annoying when they keep insulting Fairy Tail.

genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts
I didn't like the anime either because I thought it was stupid. A few years later I started reading the manga and wondered why the anime was so much worse. Then Funimation started releasing the uncensored subtittled episodes on hulu...big difference. Now when ever I'm in between shows like "Sword Art Online" and "Attack on Titan" I will go on One Piece binges. However, it's not for everyone. Even after I started watching it, it took a while for me to get use to the weirdness of the show. Sometimes I will see a character design or read a piece of dialog that just leaves me thinking WTF.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

That said, I do find the series very overated. And One Piece fanboys get annoying when they keep insulting Fairy Tail.

dercoo

I don't think someone needs to be a One Piece fan to know Fairy Tail isn't good.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Yangire

I don't think someone needs to be a One Piece fan to know Fairy Tail isn't good.

But Fairy Tail is good!
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I love the characters, there is great backstory, love the humor, and the plots to some of the arcs. 

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

Great Story, Great Characters, Great Art, Great Comedy, Great Action!! What's not to like?~

:)

to each his own i guess~

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Personally i think it fell hard after Water 7 and Enies Lobby. Character design got really repetitive and has a very childish tone to it. The plot seems to be completely static. It seems that Luffy forgot all about One Piece and decided to fight random people now. Oh, and it sunk low with the fan service.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Show drags, its filled with fillers.

I hate anime with too many episodes.  I prefer 20-50 at most.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Yangire

And thus my point is proven.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

It's a shounen battle manga, so nothing.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Tried watching it myself.  It's a serialized anime.  They'll end the show when people become bored with it and not a moment sooner.  I can't watch them, but I understand the drive behind them.  

As a show, One Piece is okay but not really my kind of anime.  I typically prefer the animes in the same vein as something like Fooly Cooly, Samurai Champloo, or trigun.  Anime series that have a distinct beginning and end are typically the ones that are the best throughout and the ones worth owning.  (Personal opinion.) 

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

It used to be decent until Water 7 where it reached its peak, after that it became mind boggingly boring to read. The plots got way less interesting and so did the characters.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 funsohng
[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Capitan_Kid

But Fairy Tail is good!

Anyone with Jojo ABS as their sig shouldn't be trusted.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

And thus my point is proven.

Implying I read or watch One Piece anymore, Fairy Tail is just the poor mans battle shounen.

Dequan1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dequan1233
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts
i personally love One Piece. It shows the amount of freedom you can have on your own with little worry, and new friends you can gain through adventure. Im different for most. I enjoy an anime by analyzing its structure and how it is made, voiced, and what the main theme is about. I don't like being bias and saying the show sucks because it is uninteresting. No, you gotta find out what the show is trying to portray before you say its not good. I like One Piece for many reasons why I love others that include Gurren Lagan and Angel Beats. The drama. It seams like every Anime cartooon has them, and I believe the drama is what creates the good parts about an anime. Its not a satire like American Dad or Family Guy, but it tries to draw you in through passion and feelings for the characters. That is what is missing nowadays in actual American cartoons I believe. So yeah, I don't watch an anime just for the battles *cough* *cough* " Bleach *cough* *cough*. The reason I point Bleach out is not because it lacks in drama, because there is a good amount. However, I felt the same way watchign Bleach as I did Naruto. It drew me in at first, then I started to drift away, and I came back in, and I drifted away. So, there are popular animes that I do have trouble watching from time to time. Last but not least, always judge an anime by the lesson it portrays and not be cause it is cool. I love to read the mangas more instead of the actual show, because you can imagine how the battles and dramas played out in your head, plus it is more suspenseful. For example, I would rather read Fairy Tail then Watch it. If you don't agree that is ok. Sometimes you gotta use the things you learned back in school to get immersed in a few mangas and animes. Plus, I am a musician so I do love to point things out. But that is my opinion.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

As a show, One Piece is okay but not really my kind of anime.  I typically prefer the animes in the same vein as something like Fooly Cooly, Samurai Champloo, or trigun.  Anime series that have a distinct beginning and end are typically the ones that are the best throughout and the ones worth owning.  (Personal opinion.) 

starfox15

Agreed. Samurai Champloo is my favorite.