What gun will replace the m16/m4 as the main US infantry gun?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dzaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dzaric
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts

So, another weapon question. What gun do you think will replace the M16/m4 as the standard rifle for the US army. You dont need to give just one answer. The US does use 2 rifles right now.

PS: This time, smart ass answers are allowed.

Hellraiser3899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Hellraiser3899
Member since 2005 • 10060 Posts
Slingshots.
UTXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 UTXII
Member since 2007 • 3448 Posts

Paintball guns. Non-lethal fire is where it's going. ;)

Seriously, I dunno, what's so wrong with the M16/M4's? Excuse my ignorance.

ExodusV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ExodusV2
Member since 2008 • 440 Posts
Won't be long until the US will be buying off or producing some AK-47 Kaleshnekovs 8).
Hellraiser3899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hellraiser3899

UTXII
They don't kill good enough, lets invent nuclear bullets. They kill much betterer.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

UTXII
There nothing wrong with them it's just there getting old (M16) and for more modern warfare were going to need a more modern standard rifle. In the next 20 years we will probably see rifles with technology intergrated into them like (ammo counter, connection to a soldier HUD)
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts
The Portal gun....DUH!!!!
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

This time, smart ass answers are allowed.dzaric

This is the internet, they were never banned to begin with. :wink:

Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts

The Magpul Masada rifle is probably going to replace it, seeing how it is lighter, easier to use, ambidextrous and can be transformed into serveral different guns.

Avatar image for UrbanSpartan125
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UrbanSpartan125
Member since 2006 • 3684 Posts

The SCAR is being used by Marine Force Recon now, it will likely stay there. I believe the replacement will be the H&K 416 though. But the M4 really isnt bad there really is no need to replace it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What needs to be added is the AA-12.

fully-auto shotgun with highly variable ammunition in close-quarters >>>> assault rifle in close quarters
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
This time, smart ass answers are allowed.dzaric
As if you have that kind of authority. :lol: I think their main weapons should be trebuchets, those things are awesome.
Hellraiser3899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hellraiser3899
[QUOTE="dzaric"]This time, smart ass answers are allowed.DeeJayInphinity
As if you have that kind of authority. :lol: I think their main weapons should be trebuchets, those things are awesome.

Handheld trebuchet's with nuclear ammunition! Lets do it!
ExodusV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ExodusV2
Member since 2008 • 440 Posts
Nuclear sniping darts, wouldn't it be nice if something like that would be created. Ancient warfare combined with modern fighting, mmm I can smell the casualties already.
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UrbanSpartan125
What needs to be added is the AA-12.

fully-auto shotgun with highly variable ammunition in close-quarters >>>> assault rifle in close quartersfoxhound_fox
No, i'd prefer a submachine gun such as the MP5, but the M4 does a great job considering it is smaller and more compact than the M16. An auto-shotgun would be to powerful, the kickback and the size of the drum would just be a hindrance.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
No, i'd prefer a submachine gun such as the MP5, but the M4 does a great job considering it is smaller and more compact than the M16. An auto-shotgun would be to powerful, the kickback and the size of the drum would just be a hindrance.UrbanSpartan125

Not seen the episode of Futureweapons?

The AA-12 is the assault rifle of shotguns.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

Tavor The Israelis are gonna make it standard now, but, it's a great gun, and it's bullpup, we NEED to go bullpup.

HK-416 it just...doesn't stop...

Barret 6.8 If we're willing to change Caliber too, but, this is pretty much an M16/M4 rechambered.

HK MP7 will replace PDW or SMG's

Maybe the KRISS will too.

Someone already posted a thread about that unstoppable shotgun (AA-12).

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DeeJayInphinity
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"][QUOTE="dzaric"]This time, smart ass answers are allowed.Hellraiser3899

If you add touch-screens and make them Wi-Fi compatible, then you've got yourself the best damn army in the world. Just imagine what soldiers could do if they could google while engaging in a firefight.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

FN SCAR most likely

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElArab

[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"]No, i'd prefer a submachine gun such as the MP5, but the M4 does a great job considering it is smaller and more compact than the M16. An auto-shotgun would be to powerful, the kickback and the size of the drum would just be a hindrance.foxhound_fox

Yeah dude the kick of the AA-12 is nothing, they have a great design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

Hellraiser3899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hellraiser3899
[QUOTE="Hellraiser3899"][QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"][QUOTE="dzaric"]This time, smart ass answers are allowed.DeeJayInphinity

If you add touch-screens and make them Wi-Fi compatible, then you've got yourself the best damn army in the world. Just imagine what soldiers could do if they could google while engaging in a firefight.

Damn if they get stuck they can just look for the solution on Wikipedia! Hell, even look on google earth for the enemy.
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UrbanSpartan125
[QUOTE="UrbanSpartan125"]No, i'd prefer a submachine gun such as the MP5, but the M4 does a great job considering it is smaller and more compact than the M16. An auto-shotgun would be to powerful, the kickback and the size of the drum would just be a hindrance.foxhound_fox

I've seen it, i just dont see it as practical in an urban environment. Sure it may be useful in some situations, but the variety of combat that happens will make the shotgun useless. You could be getting hit from 300 meters or 5 meters that is why an assault rifle is more useful.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ElArab

If you add touch-screens and make them Wi-Fi compatible, then you've got yourself the best damn army in the world. Just imagine what soldiers could do if they could google while engaging in a firefight.DeeJayInphinity

...already done...

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DeeJayInphinity

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"] If you add touch-screens and make them Wi-Fi compatible, then you've got yourself the best damn army in the world. Just imagine what soldiers could do if they could google while engaging in a firefight.ElArab

...already done...

Aw, you see I thought you were talking about the trebuchet with a screen and internet capabilities. I was about to cry.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"] If you add touch-screens and make them Wi-Fi compatible, then you've got yourself the best damn army in the world. Just imagine what soldiers could do if they could google while engaging in a firefight.ElArab

...already done...

Wow. Consider the fact that 5 years from now, instead of being 10lbs, it will probably be a lot lighter and bulky.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ElArab
[QUOTE="ElArab"]

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"] If you add touch-screens and make them Wi-Fi compatible, then you've got yourself the best damn army in the world. Just imagine what soldiers could do if they could google while engaging in a firefight.DeeJayInphinity

...already done...

Aw, you see I thought you were talking about the trebuchet with a screen and internet capabilities. I was about to cry.

Oh, I just wanted to show you the web surfing in battle :P, I'll start designing a handheld nuclear trebuchet if you want, me you and hellraiser can patent it, work on it together, and if the business is succesful enough, we can even backstab and double cross each other like most business partnerships!

OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 OODALOOP
Member since 2004 • 36350 Posts

The SCAR is being used by Marine Force Recon now, it will likely stay there. I believe the replacement will be the H&K 416 though. But the M4 really isnt bad there really is no need to replace it.

UrbanSpartan125
Marine Force Recon retired. MARSOC replaced them.
SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Either the HK416 the XM8 or the SCAR. I would guess the SCAR because I belive it is in more soldiers hands and it has a lot of variations, so it can be like an AK or an M4.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ElArab
[QUOTE="ElArab"]

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"] If you add touch-screens and make them Wi-Fi compatible, then you've got yourself the best damn army in the world. Just imagine what soldiers could do if they could google while engaging in a firefight.rimnet00

...already done...

Wow. Consider the fact that 5 years from now, instead of being 10lbs, it will probably be a lot lighter and bulky.

I think in 2020 the Crysis "nanosuit" will be near completion

"Future Force" is making it, 2020 sounds like it's pushing it, but hell, Crysis was based on military tech, that was supposed to come in 2020, and...the game's time period is 2020 lol.

I'm gonna look at militarychannel.com for the clip, I can't find it on youtube.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox
I've seen it, i just dont see it as practical in an urban environment. Sure it may be useful in some situations, but the variety of combat that happens will make the shotgun useless. You could be getting hit from 300 meters or 5 meters that is why an assault rifle is more useful.UrbanSpartan125

Can the assault rifle fire a FRAG-12 round then immediately switch to a shot round? Close-quarter combat would benefit HIGHLY from the AA-12. A fully-automatic, maintenance-free, nearly recoilless, highly variable weapon platform comes into existence, you make full use of it. No weapon system will be as good as the assault rifle for basic combat at all ranges but in close-quarters, I'd much rather carry an AA-12. And the FRAG-12 round is good up to 175m, a grenade round that can be loaded into a fully-auto shotgun? Devastating.

AA-12's teamed up with Barret M468's? You have yourself a perfect fireteam.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ElArab

Even if you don't like the drum of the AA-12 you can just use a magazine, and the Frag rounds aren't the only special rounds for the gun, there's like, 3 parts ot that AA-12 episode, one part shows all these rounds it could use (some were actual rifle rounds....odd) like, one of them was this special slug that could take down the largest animals in africa, and there was one called the "cuban slug" where if you fire it at the hood of a car, the projectiles will spread a certain way and cut all the water and oil lines and every vital "organ" of the engine, could probably do the same to a human lol.

You can also put two AA-12's together on a remote controlled turret, they just called it "The Hammer". The reason you get two is so you can put certain rounds in one gun, and other rounds in the other, so like, non-lethal in one gun, lethal rounds in the other.

AA-12's teamed up with Barret M468's? You have yourself a perfect fireteam.foxhound_fox

Teamed up with a man who has a "Gate Crasher" on his back (cuz even though it's big, it's very light), and once you've shot the airburst frag rounds into the windows, you can pop on in wherever you want and do your business.

Also, AA-12 should probably have the nickname "Amazingly Adaptable -12" or something like that, because even if the drum is heavy, you can still carry a few mags with certain rounds in them and things like that.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Do they need a replacement? They might want to upgrade their current carbine & rifle from .223 to Remington's recent .277 cartridge simply because the slug is larger, but knowing the government they rather save money and since they don't have to use the guns they don't give a **** so they will just stick with .223.

The Springfield M-14 M-21 & M25 are still in service. And so are the Remington 700 and Winchester 70. But those rifes are all used by snipers.

I don't think we need a new rifle. For what? Why? Most countries are still using automatic rifles designed back in the 1940s. Such as the SKS and AK-47.

Everyone else uses some sort of rifle that is similar to the AR-15 or AK-47 or it's a clash between the two. Some are bullpup most are not. Most are carbines not full sized rifles.

Why upgrade to a new rifle or carbine that does exactly the same thing as the last? What would be the point? They all do the same thing. They all fire a jacketed ball or spike that's nothing more than lead or steel.

It's like the Browning government model also known as the 1911. The Military adopted that pistol in 1911. And many militaries still use it including the united States. Many police departments and civilians still use Government models. Today we have 1911s that have 12, 13 and even 14 round magazines. So tell me what makes the newer pistols better than the 1911 45 Colt Automatic Pistol? In a few more years the 1911 will have it's 100th year aniversry since it was officially adopted by the U.S government and it's still widely in use. It's more popular than the Glock.

The Smith & Wesson Model 10 is the most comonly used revolver and that gun was released in like 1900 or 1905. I maybe wrong but I think Colt released the first Revolver with a rollout magazine (cylinder) but I could be wrong because I am not sure.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I'm thinking pyrokinesis.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

I say plasma blasters!

Cook those terrorists and make it well done!

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
We'll be buying our weapons from vending machines .... mmm Circus of Value.
incinratis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 incinratis
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Farsight XR-20
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Farsight XR-20incinratis

Could of swore that was a Perfect Dark (fictious one) weapon.. Anyways I would think the FN SCAR assualt rifle.. I am not exactly sure if a replacement really is needed.. I also think the real need for improvement is non leathel weaponry.. Peacekeeping missions are beocming very common for soldiers.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

...already done...

The amazing this about that is there already using it in iraq

Heres the Link

PerilousWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PerilousWolf
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

XM8Lonelynight

WHS

looks good, seen some videos of it. Quite durable. Also has a polyqtsfsdfg (see though) mag. and many diff variants.

If you google image it you shoudl find it

dzaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dzaric
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts

XM8Lonelynight

Yeah, most people Iv come across say its ether the xm8 or the FN SCAR. But didnt the XM8 not live up to standard because its handguard kept melting after extended rates of fire?

Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts
The Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator will be the weapon of choice in the not-so-distant future. I can tell.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]XM8PerilousWolf

WHS

looks good, seen some videos of it. Quite durable. Also has a polyqtsfsdfg (see though) mag. and many diff variants.

If you google image it you shoudl find it

The project is cancelled for now

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MagnumPI

[QUOTE="incinratis"]Farsight XR-20sSubZerOo

Could of swore that was a Perfect Dark (fictious one) weapon.. Anyways I would think the FN SCAR assualt rifle.. I am not exactly sure if a replacement really is needed.. I also think the real need for improvement is non leathel weaponry.. Peacekeeping missions are beocming very common for soldiers.

It depends on how determined a person is. if their intent is hostile they aren't gonna give up. Less lethal & less less than lethal devices (there is a difference) have their uses but there are times and places for everything. Politics interfer with less lethal tactics. They don't want to use the tear gas or other CS gases because of unknown ailments. There could be an unforeseen lethal reaction to the gas.

Most of these devices are less than lethal, not non-lethal. Meaning under the right circumstances the devices will not be lethal, but given the fact that scenarios are full of unknowns and variables circumstances are never certain.

When someone is determined to fight you have to neutralize them before they kill you. As in deactivate and active threat. Weather they are dead or alive doesn't matter as long as they are decommisioned.

I don't encourage widescale less lethal tactics. That's why they call it SWAT. They have special weapons for special tactics. But some of these people are just too dangerous to risk less lethal failure. They're too dangerous. Attempting to subdue them them with less lethal weapons will get operators or other people killed. The risk is too high.

If you encourage widescale use of less lethal and less than lethal devices you put more officers and soldiers in danger because the people won't respect the authority. They will riot more and more.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ElArab

The Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator will be the weapon of choice in the not-so-distant future. I can tell.Cerussite

Do you have any idea what war and battlefields would look like?!?!?! :lol:

PurelogicsBack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 PurelogicsBack
Member since 2006 • 1029 Posts
Who needs a gun, just hire Micheal Jackson to walk around naked
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ElArab

Who needs a gun, just hire Micheal Jackson to walk around nakedPurelogicsBack

Friendly Fire rates could jump up...

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MagnumPI

They should have people who tactical designing these things. For example a clear magazine is stupid. It's a glare surface and brass is not a subdued color. The magazine would be the first thing someome would see because it's not subdued. Why do you think tactical guns are matte blue, black oxide and olive drab? Because they are subdued colors that blend in with the enviorment.

You can get those magazines for AR-15s and other automatic rifles and carbines. I think Heckler & Koch made a charcoal verson, a clear version and an orange version for both the G36 and SL8.

Mjasoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mjasoom
Member since 2005 • 407 Posts
M5000 it's a laser gun :D
SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts
Hand held rail guns. The navy already has a prototype for a cannon size one.