What does an Atheist experience before he/she dies?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crypto138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#51 Crypto138
Member since 2005 • 1672 Posts

[QUOTE="Crypto138"][QUOTE="Mind_Mover"]Your answer my friend has just blown my mind...

are you saying that the only concept of afterlife that you can think of is by having yoru brain wired to a robot?

Seiki_sands

Most (all?) ideas of an afterlife involve it being without sin. In order to have an afterlife where people didn't have the ability to go around stabbing other people, they'd have to be wired like robots. There's literally no other way.

I don't know about that... I think I could conceive of a world in which the circumstances were so altered that my consciousness or mind may not have to be altered to make sin unthinkable depending on your definition of mind. In the world as it exists now, a certain sin for a certain person can be pleasurable, but that does not have to be true, we assume it simply is because of our individual histories and our bio-chemistry, but those are so variable and ever changing that to use them as a form of identity by saying this is my consciousness, this way I react, seems naive.

Right now, very, very few people burn themselves alive. There are a number of reasons why relating to physical pain and psychology. The mechanisms to cover pain so it isn't felt are already present in the body, there are extreme occasions that the body does not feel even intense pain despite signals that are being sent by the body to cause it. Is it rewiring the brain to be in a world where the body is triggered to override pain signals not just in times of extreme need, thereby eliminating pain and removing at least one barrier to the person inclined to commit suicide by burning themselves alive. Is it the world or the intrinsic you that has changed, or both?

Imagine landing on a planet where the air itself triggers the release of hormones and chemicals that override pain, does that mean your consciousness was changed and your brain rewired? In other words, if your consciousness as you are conceiving it is a product not just of the internal, but how you interact with what's around you, I suppose this would be rewiring, but then one really has to question one's status as an athiest, because you're bordering on an all in one sort of universal consciousness. "You" are a product not just of your thoughts and history, but your reactions as you have come to know them in the arbitrary existence you have lived, making that existence as much a part of "you" as your own thoughts and history. If on the other hand, you are saying there is something uniquely you in there, no you would not have to change that to make the unthinkable, thinkable you would merely have to manipulate the body that is the middle man between you and the world.

Considering we weren't talking about pain or anything physical, I can't say I have any idea what kind of point you think you're making. So explain to me exactly how an afterlife could be kept from being as corrupt as this world, without infringing on anyone's free will?
Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

Considering we weren't talking about pain or anything physical, I can't say I have any idea what kind of point you think you're making. So explain to me exactly how an afterlife could be kept from being as corrupt as this world, without infringing on anyone's free will?

Crypto138

Because the afterlife need not follow what you have come to expect from the physical reactions of this world. Even someone otherwise disposed to a sin in this world might not be disposed to it if what that sin did for his/her "mind" changed. You seem to be using the words "free will" & "mind" to mean the same thing, a form of identity that is insular and not dependent on its surroundings. If that's the case one could change the rules by which that ghost in the machine reacted to its surroundings without the need to affect it intrinsically or permanently. If the mind is more than just a ghost in the machine, not separate from the body, but part of what it experiences, then you can't really talk about "Free Will" or "mind" in that way, can you? Identity becomes much more relative. And how is saying you will no longer feel pleasure from sin rewiring or taking away free will if you only felt that pleasure in the first place because of the circumstances of the world you're in, the fact that the sin might release chemicals in your brain that make you happy or reward you in some other way? I could say right now your free will is deprived because the world you're in operates in such a way that you might be tricked into feeling pleasure from sin. Doesn't it depend on whether the experience of the sin forms part of who you are, or not?

unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 unholymight
Member since 2007 • 3378 Posts
Take it that life is a continuous function. Therefore, the limit of the experience function as time approaches death is equal to death. Basically, the more near death you are, the more death you experience.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I am perfectly fine with no after life. The life I live is worth it and even if I die early it will not be a waste. I do not see why there needs to be more to life in order for it to have meaning. What I did still influenced people's lives and stuff.
Jaks_Secret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 Jaks_Secret
Member since 2006 • 9003 Posts
They probably feel like they're going to die.
matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 matthayter700
Member since 2004 • 2606 Posts

Some people live their whole lives passionately, an atheist might say, it is better being an atheist because you know you will only live once, and you should make the best of it because of that.

What goes through an atheists mind when he realizes that a whole life of love, fun, happiness, saddness, pain, etc will cease to exists the moment he is dead?

How does an atheist easily accept that kind of fate, a fate where a whole life time spent with your wife or husband, your children that you are so proud of, your parents that hold a special place in your heart, will one day mean nothing.

Your concioussness, poof, no more. Doesn't that scare you?

The real question is, If given the choice to spend eternity, happily, would you accept it?Mind_Mover

IF given the choice? Of course. But saying it will happen isn't going to just make it happen. Ideally future technology could find a way to create such an opportunity, but just claiming there already is an afterlife will only delay that day further.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

ill tell you when i die;)

matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 matthayter700
[QUOTE="swazidoughman"]

[QUOTE="Fandangle"]

They enter the matrix

Pretty much this.

When an Atheist dies (or is close to death) the firmware for their cold robotic machine heart gets uploaded to the internet.

That's where trolls come from.

That was uncalled for. I'd be one to claim that some religious people, or at least the ones against embryonic stem cell research, are the "cold" and "robotic" ones for putting zygotes that don't have feelings ahead of people with diseases it can cure, when such people do have feelings.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I think that a religious and a non-religious person would tend to have differing thought processes before death. On the one hand, you have a person who has accepted the idea that they are going to a magical afterlife and the other who has accepted finality of existence. And yes, it does scare atheists, and although Christians are less likely to admit it, it scares them too.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
It will probably suck yes. But the suckiness of death doesn't justify false hope.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I can't say that I'll ever find out... :wink:
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

I would love to be a atheist. I would die proud, knowing i wouldnt go to a god whos servants stalled human progress for centuries, killed thousands of innocent people and force other people and children to belive in their god...

Religion is **** up...

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I would love to be a atheist. I would die proud, knowing i wouldnt go to a god whos servants stalled human progress for centuries, killed thousands of innocent people and force other people and children to belive in their god...

Religion is **** up...

chaplainDMK
You have a rather horrid view of history and theology...
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#65 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

[QUOTE="swazidoughman"]

[QUOTE="Fandangle"]

They enter the matrix

matthayter700

Pretty much this.

When an Atheist dies (or is close to death) the firmware for their cold robotic machine heart gets uploaded to the internet.

That was uncalled for. I'd be one to claim that some religious people, or at least the ones against embryonic stem cell research, are the "cold" and "robotic" ones for putting zygotes that don't have feelings ahead of people with diseases it can cure, when such people do have feelings.

Fun Fact: I'm an Atheist.

Alsohttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Joke

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
Athiests don't have to believe in that. At all.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#67 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Before an Athiest dies, their pants are usually spoiled.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21654 Posts

I probably wouldn't experience anything. I'd probably have a clear head until the moment my heart stop beating. Dieing with no regrets would be fine with me.....

matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 matthayter700
[QUOTE="swazidoughman"]

[QUOTE="matthayter700"][QUOTE="swazidoughman"]

Pretty much this.

Fun Fact: I'm an Atheist.

Alsohttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Joke

For whatever reason I vaguely had a feeling you didn't mean that comment in the first place, but why not put a J/K or similar side-comment after the post? Why leave it to be guessed?
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

The thought constantly scares me, but honestly it's not limited to atheists. It's depressing and it'sscary, butI don't want to live my liferelying on hope to come through in the end, only to have it shattered at the last minute. Leaps of faithusually end in someone getting hurt, and in my opinion that's what religion is, a massive leap of faith.Still it's nice to think that there may be something, that when I die I wont completely cease to feel anything at all, which honestly is difficult to comprehend for someone who will never really experience it. If given the choice I would take eternal life, which is a nice thought aswell but just as unlikely.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Some people live their whole lives passionately, an atheist might say, it is better being an atheist because you know you will only live once, and you should make the best of it because of that.

What goes through an atheists mind when he realizes that a whole life of love, fun, happiness, saddness, pain, etc will cease to exists the moment he is dead?

How does an atheist easily accept that kind of fate, a fate where a whole life time spent with your wife or husband, your children that you are so proud of, your parents that hold a special place in your heart, will one day mean nothing.

The real question is, If given the choice to spend eternity, happily, would you accept it?

Mind_Mover

Better to live at the whim of your own deeds entirely than to go through life giving credit for your good deeds to God and the blame for your bad on the Devil. What happens when a Atheist is about to die? Maybe, satisfaction, that they got to have a life to begin with?

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
We experience life before we die, of course.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

I don't know. Let's ask one!

Oh, wait...

RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

"What does an Atheist experience before he/she dies?"

...Heart... failure?

I don't know, but I doubt it'd vary between Atheists and religious folks.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
That thought is one of the reasons why I could never be an athiest. It would make life depressing to go around thinking, "When I die, I become dirt." :P
StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

When I wasn't Born I didn't care, and when I die I won't care either...

ps3wizard45

My thoughts exactly. No point about worrying about nothingness.

PsycoMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 PsycoMind
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

The real question is, If given the choice to spend eternity, happily, would you accept it?

Mind_Mover
it doesn't scare me, because I believe in reincarnation and know my existence will start over anew
ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

Personally speaking, I would hope to pass away in my sleep.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
"I hope they serve breakfast in hell". Amiright or what. Too me it seems incredibly depressing knowing your life is ending and you will most likely be forgotten by the world. Your entire existence meaningless. I mean, even IF you don't think a higher power exists, why not be on the safe side right? Why deny it like you know everything, like you know how life and death work. Just go with it, if you end up being wrong then great, Atheism am confirmed. If not then the consequences are beyond brutal.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
............ Who says your concious being ceases to exist at death? Sense when does there need to be a god to have the possibility of living on?... Spend eternity.. Happily? Can that even be possible? Do you know what its like to live for eternity? Our activities, interactions and learning experiences are enjoyable in life because we have such limited time for them to occur in the span of our lives.. What good are they when you live forever, that to me seems another form of torture. No matter how happy the setting is, existing in eternity would only provide torture to your self... Athiesm is only on the idea that a god at least in the common form of religions of today doesn't exist.. Where does a afterlife have any thing to do with this?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

"I hope they serve breakfast in hell". Amiright or what. Too me it seems incredibly depressing knowing your life is ending and you will most likely be forgotten by the world. Your entire existence meaningless. I mean, even IF you don't think a higher power exists, why not be on the safe side right? Why deny it like you know everything, like you know how life and death work. Just go with it, if you end up being wrong then great, Atheism am confirmed. If not then the consequences are beyond brutal.PS2_ROCKS
That isn't true faith, thats being a coward.. If god is fair and just, on what the being gives you should have nothing to do with the faith you put in the being.. Of your actions and values you stand by to which you stand by.. Say if god does exist though.. What makes you so certain the god cares for you at all, or even realizes you exist? Or better yet despises you collectively? People seem to place so much stock on us because we think we are special.. We are on one planet from what we have seen so far.. But what people fail to realize how insignificant and powerless we really are..

-Chimera-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 -Chimera-
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts
I'm totally fine with the notion of there not being an afterlife, and I find it preferable to spending an eternity doing anything no matter how happy I supposedly will be. Though I'm not technically an atheist.
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts
See the Muse song.DFan17902
lol yes. i love that song.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
a dead atheist would be able to tell you...
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts
[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]

Religion is **** up...

mindstorm
You have a rather horrid view of history and theology...

well its true. deal with it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Mind_Mover

Hellllll no.

Living for ETERNITY? Jesus Christ. Life is already long enough as it is. Just get it over with, and erase me.

Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
I try not to waste my life thinking about my death.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Well, i was dead for ten seconds after being hit by a car. The last thing i thought about was updating the routers firmware.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
yea yea you all talking big,but when the time comes or when you are sick,in a crisis,you all will have this pathetic look.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

When I wasn't Born I didn't care, and when I die I won't care either...

ps3wizard45
Oh, I'm sure you cared, you just don't remember it.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
It depends on the person...
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#92 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

As an atheist, it depresses me utterly to think that after my pathetically short life ends, there will be nothing more. To an extent, I almost wish there was a God.

brasscaribou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 brasscaribou
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

Depends on how fast they die.

LanceA63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LanceA63
Member since 2003 • 417 Posts

I'll let you know when I become an atheist and die.

Theokhoth
lulz
Spam_Pics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Spam_Pics
Member since 2008 • 222 Posts
What is natural is not scary. And NO day will all these mean nothing. TC, you are wrong.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#96 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The same thing everyone does: a last gift from your brain in the form of hallucinations. Except of course, they won't be religious in nature.

Has anyone ever noticed how only religious people have religious NDE's? And the visions vary depending on the religion?

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#97 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Same thing everyone else will, fear.

spirit7someguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#98 spirit7someguy
Member since 2009 • 3813 Posts

[QUOTE="spirit7someguy"]I just don't understand so many humans who do not wish to live...MrPraline
Well life isn't all that great.

But it can be a quadrillion times better, I'm the very proof of that. Like, even the worst lives can get amnesia and start living in sumthin pure, like for example if science learns to cotrl time and genes everything is possible!:P

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts
[QUOTE="Maqda7"]

People believe that there is an afterlife to give their life meaning. I as an athiest don't need my life to have meaning. I will feel content once i've done everything I can for myself and my family and leave in peace.

P.s. I think everyone will see the whole white tunnel thing because it's a part of the chemical reactions happening in your brain as you die.

my friend ODed twice on drugs (doctors revived him thank god) and he said he never saw a white light