What do you think of raves?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I have been to a few just to see what it was like and to be honest I hated it. i like techno, but the kind they were playing was so repetitive and dull. The crowd was huge sure but they were mostly high or drunk and being idiotic and I just couldnt get into it. I dont drink, well I probably shouldnt after my kidney transplant, I think the kinds of drugs they take are pointless, and I cant stand hours of boring beats and people telling me to get into it and various other stupid phrases that were shouted at me. I like techno, but not hours and hours of boring beats over and over again. I guess I might just not be a party guy.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I've only been to one, and it was pretty much an instant headache. You have to be high to enjoy it, and if you have to be high to enjoy something, it's obviously terrible.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#3 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I've been to one and it was the worst. I regret everything I did.
perphekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 perphekt
Member since 2009 • 1096 Posts
I went to some back when i was in high school, didn't regret anything i did, and it really wasn't that bad. Actually entertaining, then again... i was on things i shouldn't have been and everything was very colorful... oh, and i swear to god the eagle came out of the painted and flew around the room.... Yeah...
6_volts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 6_volts
Member since 2008 • 5520 Posts
I loved the 1 I went to, I really had a great time.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
Yeah, not my thing.
trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 trust_nobody
Member since 2003 • 3356 Posts

I don't go to them anymore, but I used to go for two reasons: ecstacy, and friggin glowsticks!

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

never been to one but I'm going to some techno festival next spring or summer with some friends.

Avatar image for Never3ndingLife
Never3ndingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Never3ndingLife
Member since 2009 • 1114 Posts
they're super fun .. i love them haha
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

lol i used to go to the clubs so much they were like my second home.. drum & bass fTW!!!

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Film-Guy

Its funny I can get into pretty much any genre of music and be totally into it except techno. I have even grown to love hip hop and rap. I know that there are more sub genres in techno, all of which I have heard, but I will just call it techo. I just can't get into it, I can listen to a few songs but then I just think well that was fun, now I'm going to listen to something else. It just gets monotonous to me, I am into a song and it's beat for a while but then it just gets boring. Being in that huge crowd with music I cant get into and a bag headache while people wave stupid glowsticks in the air for no apparent reason is fun to watch at first, but after a few hours I felt like punching everybody just to get out. I dont get how people can get into techno and it's various sub genres, I have tried many times and there are a few groups I like but I cant listen to them for hours on end or I will go mad.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#12 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

lol i used to go to the clubs so much they were like my second home.. drum & bass fTW!!!

ultraking
Dub Step man, get rowdy and put it on and you got a party
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Film-Guy

never been to one but I'm going to some techno festival next spring or summer with some friends.

Nifty_Shark

A friend of mine invited me to one in San Francisco, but I dont think I will go seeing as how I didn't enjoy the last few. Might be better for you though, I guess it depends how much you like the music.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

big crowds aren't my thing, so i doubt i'd like it.. i like techno though

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

In my opinion they're mainly parties for teenagers to go to and get high at.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

You've must have been to a Massive which really isn't a "rave." Their more like techno concerts. I use to rave all the time, infact I still make Candy and was a big Candy raver but you grow out of it. It is a very fun scene, and yea the music is dull at times but its more of the social and spiritual experience. Raves are not as underground as they once were, they seem so mainstream now, its really weird to see. :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

Film-Guy

A friend of mine invited me to one in San Francisco, but I dont think I will go seeing as how I didn't enjoy the last few. Might be better for you though, I guess it depends how much you like the music.

which rave if you don't mind me asking?

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

mexicangordo

I cant remember the name of it, all I know is that it is in San Francisco. I think it was on an island in the bay or something. I wasn't interested in it so I cant exactly recall where it was. Apparently there was going to be more than 300 people there, I dont know if that is a big one or not but it sounds kinda big to me. I know I wont go there, I cant stand to listen to techo for too long, i like some diversity in my music:P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

I cant remember the name of it, all I know is that it is in San Francisco. I think it was on an island in the bay or something. I wasn't interested in it so I cant exactly recall where it was. Apparently there was going to be more than 300 people there, I dont know if that is a big one or not but it sounds kinda big to me. I know I wont go there, I cant stand to listen to techo for too long, i like some diversity in my music:P

Real raves have Dj's... A good DJ is anything but repititive. The crowd will let the DJ know if he sucks or not. :P But some really lame raves have crappy music. Not only that but they are very expensive.

Anywho 300 isn't that bad. It seems more underground which is cool, depends where the place is at as well. I live in San Francisco and I don't know what rave your talking about, the only one that comes to mind is Tiesto.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nifty_Shark

Oh c'mon Film Guy. Who doesn't love this epic?

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mexicangordo

Nifty_Shark

That is not techno friend, that is more like trance or electronica.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nifty_Shark

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

mexicangordo

I thought Orbital is techno. Maybe not that song but the rest of that album it's off of has to be.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Techno, Electronica, Ambient Techno

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

Nifty_Shark

I thought Orbital is techno. Maybe not that song but the rest of that album it's off of has to be.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Techno, Electronica, Ambient Techno

Never said Orbital wasn't, I was referring to that song. :P

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]which rave if you don't mind me asking?

mexicangordo

Real raves have Dj's... A good DJ is anything but repititive. The crowd will let the DJ know if he sucks or not. :P But some really lame raves have crappy music. Not only that but they are very expensive.

Anywho 300 isn't that bad. It seems more underground which is cool, depends where the place is at as well. I live in San Francisco and I don't know what rave your talking about, the only one that comes to mind is Tiesto.

Well he said at least 300, and i remember the name Tiesto being mentioned so it could be that. I dont know where that is though. The techno I like is usually the stuff I dont see being played live unfortunatly. Or maybe I just dont know where it is playing, anyway what do you think of these?

Midnight Juggernauts

Future Sound of London

Royksopp

Telepopmusik

Stereolab

Fever Ray

The Knife

Tosca

the_kidisblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_kidisblack
Member since 2008 • 1184 Posts
lame. very lame.
tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

Got elbowed in the face. So no I don't like them. Don't really like clubs either, I really don't see the enjoyment in watching some other dude thrusting and rubbing his privates againest your girlfriend in a packed environment where you can't hear each other and spend the majority of the night trying to order one drink.

It's pubs and bars for me.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Film-Guy

Got elbowed in the face. So no I don't like them. Don't really like clubs either, I really don't see the enjoyment in watching some other dude thrusting and rubbing his privates againest your girlfriend in a packed environment where you can't hear each other and spend the majority of the night trying to order one drink.

It's pubs and bars for me.

tomo90

Agreed, I miss the pubs I used to go to in England. Such a nice friendly atmosphere there, well for the most part if you know where to go. You don't get that in Los Angeles:(

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I've only been to one, and it was pretty much an instant headache. You have to be high to enjoy it, and if you have to be high to enjoy something, it's obviously terrible.DJ_Lae
I agree with DJ_Lae. The only one I've been too was at an anime convention in Orlando. There was maybe 50 or so people stuck in regular sized room. Everyone was making it worse by swinging around their glow sticks and making it an even smaller room. Then there are the trains people are making. You definitely don't want to get caught in the middle:) .The music was pretty good though, the party itself, meh.
Avatar image for bebopoutlaw3gun
bebopoutlaw3gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bebopoutlaw3gun
Member since 2004 • 5584 Posts

I've been to a couple real raves and one at a legit club. The 'raves" the real clubs throw are kinda lame.

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

Raves are fun if your high and drunk but sober? meh not so much.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Never been to one, but I don't think I could get into it.

I do love some electronic music though..Drum & Bass in particular (especially Jazzstep & Liquid Funk.) But Techno? Can't stand it.

GridironKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GridironKing
Member since 2008 • 353 Posts
I never really been to one and I do not think that I ever will go to one really.
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#33 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I like the music, but I hate raves/clubs... and its usually because of the people it attracts and the fact that it gets horrendously dull when everyone else is on drugs except you.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
Never been, and I really don't have a desire to go. They look like one massive headache.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts
I really, really want to go to one. Ecstasy plus good techno plus huge crowds seems like a good time to me.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
It suuuuuuuucks. i hate them.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

I like the music, and I have a slight interest in the rave sub culture, so I wouldn't mind going to one.

crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts

I went to a festival once, that was pretty rad...mostly just listening to the Disco Biscuits all night. I would give my left nut to go to a Soulwax show, though.

Oyeoyeoye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oyeoyeoye
Member since 2007 • 479 Posts
I really don't think a rave is something to be enjoyed sober. Two close friends of mine hit up raves on a regular basis and they are anything but sober but always sound like they had a good time. I'm with you on Techno though, personally I need more than just some crazy beats to enjoy music. So much in fact that when I get into said friends cars I sometimes wish they would swerve into oncoming traffic rather than listen to what he has in the player.
SEANSEXYUNDIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 SEANSEXYUNDIES
Member since 2008 • 1489 Posts

i really would like to go to one just to say i have been

but i do not know of any raves in pittsburgh

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts

Nifty_Shark
Wow that was really good actually.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Film-Guy

I really don't think a rave is something to be enjoyed sober. Two close friends of mine hit up raves on a regular basis and they are anything but sober but always sound like they had a good time. I'm with you on Techno though, personally I need more than just some crazy beats to enjoy music. So much in fact that when I get into said friends cars I sometimes wish they would swerve into oncoming traffic rather than listen to what he has in the player.Oyeoyeoye

Thats one reason I dont like raves. If I have to be high to enjoy something I dont think it is worth it. Plus when I was the only one not getting high a lot of people kepy trying to offer me drugs and such throughout the show, got really annoying after a while.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
man, you must be going to the wrong raves haha all the ones I have been to, are awesome, not all the people are drunk/high and plenty of hot girls ! :)
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I've never been to a rave, nor do I ever plan on doing so. Nice music though!

unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce-unce!

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

[QUOTE="Oyeoyeoye"]I really don't think a rave is something to be enjoyed sober. Two close friends of mine hit up raves on a regular basis and they are anything but sober but always sound like they had a good time. I'm with you on Techno though, personally I need more than just some crazy beats to enjoy music. So much in fact that when I get into said friends cars I sometimes wish they would swerve into oncoming traffic rather than listen to what he has in the player.Film-Guy

Thats one reason I dont like raves. If I have to be high to enjoy something I dont think it is worth it. Plus when I was the only one not getting high a lot of people kepy trying to offer me drugs and such throughout the show, got really annoying after a while.

You don't have to be high to enjoy them, i have a "straight-edge" friend who really wants to go to a rave for the techno and crazy atmosphere. I also know people who don't get high who have gone and loved them.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Oyeoyeoye"]I really don't think a rave is something to be enjoyed sober. Two close friends of mine hit up raves on a regular basis and they are anything but sober but always sound like they had a good time. I'm with you on Techno though, personally I need more than just some crazy beats to enjoy music. So much in fact that when I get into said friends cars I sometimes wish they would swerve into oncoming traffic rather than listen to what he has in the player.pis3rch

You don't have to be high to enjoy them, i have a "straight-edge" friend who really wants to go to a rave for the techno and crazy atmosphere. I also know people who don't get high who have gone and loved them.

I guess it's just the ones I have been to. Plus I dont enjoy that kind of music enough to listen to it for hours and hours since most music I hear at raves is nothing special. Gets monotonous too quickly for me.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

I really want to go to one. I think it'd be more entertaining to go to a less crowded one, and of course there'd need to be a DJ. I like hardstyIe and industrial/darkwave quite a bit, and I know the basics of the Melbshuffle, so I'm sure even though I might look like an idiot doing it, it'd be pretty fun.

MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

I love raves. Loud music, pretty lights, all night. My kind of party.

Wii_Gamer_277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wii_Gamer_277
Member since 2009 • 1795 Posts
I would love to go but I dont wana be high or drunk :?
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

They sound dangerous.