What do you think of people turning their photos into cartoons on FaceBook?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts

News Story. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/cartoon-characters-facebook-profile-pictures/story?id=12313096&page=2 (sorry links are broken for me atm)

I first noticed this among my friends a couple days ago, didin't think much of it. Remined me of those annoying chain messages I still get from friends on txting and such. If you don't know, apperently you change your profile picture into your favorite cartoon character (from childhood or whatever) and in some magical unknown way it helps stop Child Abuse. No I'm not kidding. Well anyways, this has been growing through FaceBook throughout the last two weeks or so. I was hoping that people off FaceBook didn't see the stupidity in this (at least in claiming it help stops Child Abuse). But I suppose not... As the majority in this thread, are loving it.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27520484&page=1

My problem with it is that people actually think it's doing something. Even more so, when I have friends extremely annoyed I'm not doing it. I've had a couple people say it's fun and innocent, which is true. Yet it's smug and arrogant that all the chain messages about are claiming it's helping anything/anybody.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Just like any other trend Facebook uses do. Meh.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
it's an awareness thing.
ThatOneP0ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ThatOneP0ster
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts
it's an awareness thing.funsohng
Yup, if everyone says the words about Child Abuse it will stop.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 paradigm68
[QUOTE="funsohng"]it's an awareness thing.ThatOneP0ster

Well that's cute and all. But that's not going to stop anything or anybody. It's in the name "Child Abuse", it doesn't take much effort to figure out what it means and that it's bad.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"]it's an awareness thing.ThatOneP0ster

I don't think you understand what awareness means it's not suppose to be a direct solution. It's raising awareness, prompting people to recognize these issues more, which in turn will hopefully act as a collective force to influence the matter in a more direct fashion.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

[QUOTE="ThatOneP0ster"][QUOTE="funsohng"]it's an awareness thing.funsohng

I don't think you understand what awareness means it's not suppose to be a direct solution. It's raising awareness, prompting people to recognize these issues more, which in turn will hopefully act as a collective force to influence the matter in a more direct fashion.

This is the best argument I've heard in favour of this all weekend.

ThatOneP0ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ThatOneP0ster

[QUOTE="ThatOneP0ster"][QUOTE="funsohng"]it's an awareness thing.funsohng

I don't think you understand what sarcasm means it's not suppose to be a directly funny joke. It's raising irony, prompting people to recognize these irony more, which in turn will hopefully act as a comedic force to influence the matter in a more comedic fashion.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#9 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

It's horrible! My town was once a safe and peaceful place, but since Facebook users started using cartoon Avatars, our people's women are being raped, our churces burnt to the ground. There's no stopping it... All our kids are on drugs! There's just no.... stopping it....

I'm Samurai Jack, by the way :D

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
If i wanted to hit a child or rape him, a cartoon picture would not stop me. Am i missing the point?
ThatOneP0ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ThatOneP0ster

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ThatOneP0ster"] Yup, if everyone says the words about Child Abuse it will stop. Murj

This is the best argument I've heard in favour of this all weekend.

Mine was better. You know it.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ThatOneP0ster"] Yup, if everyone says the words about Child Abuse it will stop. ThatOneP0ster

I don't think you understand what sarcasm means it's not suppose to be a directly funny joke. It's raising irony, prompting people to recognize these irony more, which in turn will hopefully act as a comedic force to influence the matter in a more comedic fashion.

I was assuming you are being sarcastic about my point thus criticizing it. were you? :?
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 paradigm68
If i wanted to hit a child or rape him, a cartoon picture would not stop me. Am i missing the point?Kokuro_Kun
Apparently, if someone were seeing you do this and didn't stop you before. They will now because all of their friends turned their photos into a cartoon! Yeah I don't get it either.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 paradigm68

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ThatOneP0ster"] Yup, if everyone says the words about Child Abuse it will stop. ThatOneP0ster

" prompting people to recognize these irony more" wow that's great there.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
I think any and all criticism for it is so unwarranted and just ridiculous. Of course it isn't going to have a major, if any, impact on child abuse. But the point is basically awareness, people taking a stand, a small one, and doing what ever, even if something little, to show support. If you don't like it then just keep your mouth shut and move along, because anything other then ignoring it just baffles me.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vadicta

[QUOTE="Kokuro_Kun"]If i wanted to hit a child or rape him, a cartoon picture would not stop me. Am i missing the point?paradigm68
Apparently, if someone were seeing you do this and didn't stop you before. They will now because all of their friends turned their photos into a cartoon! Yeah I don't get it either.

Yeah, totally! Let's never rally together to bring awareness to a social injustuce ever again. You guys are totally right. My eyes are so open right now! WOW! I mean, just WOW! How forward thinking of you! Let's just assume we can never do anything about anything and just cynacally gripe when people try to do something, because we don't deem it as "effective" Yeah, YEAH! I'm so pumped right now guys. Let's not do anything! LET'S NOT DO ANYTHING! Yeah!!!

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

I'm sure half the people that are doing it don't even know what it's for. I was talking to my friend last night and his girlfriend changed her picture to a cartoon. She didn't know the reason why everybody was doing it, she was doing it because her friends were doing it. Why follow in something you have no idea what it means. Also, how the hell does changing your picture to a cartoon raise child awareness? It's a stupid idea.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
I don't participate in any of the facebook "events" etc.
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Just like any other trend Facebook uses do. Meh.JustPlainLucas
This.

I don't see how this is newsworthy or warrants having multitple threads about it.

Also Super Meat Boy < 3

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Cheap publicity which will do absolutely zero about child abuse. That's not to say the cartoon profile pic thing isn't a good idea just for the hell of it, but it does worry me how much influence Facebook has when people start seeing this as some kind of real and meaningful altruism.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng
If i wanted to hit a child or rape him, a cartoon picture would not stop me. Am i missing the point?Kokuro_Kun
You don't understand anything about this, do you? That's not even the point. Why do people think this is to directly stop child abuse? Why are people so simplistic with their mindset?
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Thing is, raising awareness is a simple thing they can do. Whose to say they're stopping doing other helpful charity events or something just to do this? And sure, changing pictures won't *magically* change anything but it's simple, free and effective.

ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
It should have been made more aware of when it first started. Everyone is doing it too late now and it sort of lost meaning since tomorrow, everyone changes their facebook pic back.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I don't care for it.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 paradigm68

Thing is, raising awareness is a simple thing they can do. Whose to say they're stopping doing other helpful charity events or something just to do this? And sure, changing pictures won't *magically* change anything but it's simple, free and effective.

Murj
It's effective? Really? That's my whole point. Awareness is one thing yet awareness would be posting ways to help that ARE effective. Like donating to this one place, or whatever. That's my point. Just saying "Child Abuse is bad" isn't awareness!
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funsohng
[QUOTE="Murj"]

paradigm68
It's effective? Really? That's my whole point. Awareness is one thing yet awareness would be posting ways to help that ARE effective. Like donating to this one place, or whatever. That's my point. Just saying "Child Abuse is bad" isn't awareness!

I'm assuming you haven't read what I said
ThatOneP0ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThatOneP0ster
[QUOTE="paradigm68"][QUOTE="Murj"]

funsohng

I'm assuming you haven't read what tons of other people have said. What you can't get is that is stupid and smug, there are like a couple million people out there that actually think they "are doing good for the little children". Which they haven't they changed their duck face photo (look it up) to Eric Cartman. That's not going to help Little Jenny stop getting beat by her father. The father isn't going to go on his FaceBook and see everyone with a Transformer for their photo and see the error of his ways. And for your "Ohh it's awareness" stance. That doesn't make much more seance. This isn't helping any awareness. No-one is going to learn anything from this pointless fad! God whatever. You won't get it, I need to go eat my plate of Spaghetti in the kitchen. I'm sure this thread will go for a couple more pages. But nobodies opinion will change whatsoever.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

lol obviously you noticed and now you're talking about the subject matter :P I changed my to dug from Up. He's wearing the cone of shame! I might actually keep it that way :D I am adding each of you all on Facebook and then we're all going to Hawaii! :D

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
I think It's pointless. In a few days, people wil change back to their orginal profile pictures and nothing will have changed.
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

And yet you are paying more attention to child abuse due to the fact people are doing this

-Mission Accomplished

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vadicta

And yet you are paying more attention to child abuse due to the fact people are doing this

-Mission Accomplished

DanteSuikoden

Shhhh It's a secret. ;)

shahchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33 shahchip
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts
Well usually i'd be saying the saying thing as TC but this one actually worked on me. I was curious about why people were changing their pictures so i asked someone and she explained. The result is that the money i was saving to donate somewhere will be donated to a charity that works with children. At least this isn't as useless as raising awareness of cancer through a status update...
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 funsohng
[QUOTE="ThatOneP0ster"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="paradigm68"] It's effective? Really? That's my whole point. Awareness is one thing yet awareness would be posting ways to help that ARE effective. Like donating to this one place, or whatever. That's my point. Just saying "Child Abuse is bad" isn't awareness!

I'm assuming you haven't read what tons of other people have said. What you can't get is that is stupid and smug, there are like a couple million people out there that actually think they "are doing good for the little children". Which they haven't they changed their duck face photo (look it up) to Eric Cartman. That's not going to help Little Jenny stop getting beat by her father. The father isn't going to go on his FaceBook and see everyone with a Transformer for their photo and see the error of his ways. And for your "Ohh it's awareness" stance. That doesn't make much more seance. This isn't helping any awareness. No-one is going to learn anything from this pointless fad! God whatever. You won't get it, I need to go eat my plate of Spaghetti in the kitchen. I'm sure this thread will go for a couple more pages. But nobodies opinion will change whatsoever.

As I said, it is never to deal with the issue directly. Also, as saintleonidas said, it's about taking a stand. Yes, I understand some people are just feeding into the fad without knowing what's going on, but you are neglecting the initial philosophy of the trend, a symbolic representation of the importance of childhood, which I feel is unjustified. This is same as commercial campaigns about these kind of issues on TV.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Whether you like it or not, the very fact you made this thread is evidence that it's done what it set out to do in the first place.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 paradigm68

lol obviously you noticed and now you're talking about the subject matter :P I changed my to dug from Up. He's wearing the cone of shame! I might actually keep it that way :D I am adding each of you all on Facebook and then we're all going to Hawaii! :D

biggest_loser

-Mission Accomplished

DanteSuikoden

Whether you like it or not, the very fact you made this thread is evidence that it's done what it set out to do in the first place.

broken_bass_bin
No, not really. Everybody knows what Child Abuse is, nobody learned anything from it. It's in the name for that matter.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vadicta

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] [QUOTE="DanteSuikoden"]

-Mission Accomplished

paradigm68

broken_bass_bin

No, not really. Everybody knows what Child Abuse is, nobody learned anything from it. It's in the name for that matter.

Okay, then. Don't be effected. Why are you trying to give people s*** for trying to do a nice thing?

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 paradigm68

[QUOTE="paradigm68"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] [QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

vadicta

Okay, then. Don't be effected. Why are you trying to give people s*** for trying to do a nice thing?

I'm not, I'm getting **** for not doing it from multiple people. That's my beef.

GrabTheYayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GrabTheYayo
Member since 2010 • 1315 Posts

just do it tc....

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vadicta

[QUOTE="vadicta"]

[QUOTE="paradigm68"] No, not really. Everybody knows what Child Abuse is, nobody learned anything from it. It's in the name for that matter.paradigm68

I'm not, I'm getting **** for not doing it from multiple people. That's my beef.

Well... Why not do it?

arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

I think they are so cool.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

No, not really. Everybody knows what Child Abuse is, nobody learned anything from it. It's in the name for that matter.paradigm68

The point isn't to let you know what it is. The point is to get people talking about it. Which you are. Mission accomplished.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
:lol: I had no idea it was to stop child abuse. I just saw all my friends do it so I said **** it and set my picture to Courage the Cowardly Dog.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 paradigm68

Well... Why not do it?

vadicta

...I've been trying to explain why not, for far to long now.

Fox-Call

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fox-Call
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

Pokemon profile pictures > Child abuse awareness.

ThatOneP0ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ThatOneP0ster

[QUOTE="paradigm68"]No, not really. Everybody knows what Child Abuse is, nobody learned anything from it. It's in the name for that matter.broken_bass_bin

The point isn't to let you know what it is. The point is to get people talking about it. Which you are. Mission accomplished.

What people didn't already talk about it? All this FaceBook fad is give a wrongful smug reason to post a cartoon. Not that posting the cartoon(S) is bad, but the false reason for it, is.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 vadicta

[QUOTE="vadicta"]
Well... Why not do it?

paradigm68

Well, it seems like you're putting forth more effort to fight against child abuse awareness than to just grab a jpeg of your favorite cartoon character and make it your avi.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

NO its POKEMON month! and ONLY pokemon month

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts

[QUOTE="vadicta"]
Well... Why not do it?

paradigm68

No you haven't. You've been trying to explain why it doesn't have the desired effect.

But you haven't explained why people shouldn't do it.... since there is no reason that they shouldn't.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 paradigm68
[QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

[QUOTE="paradigm68"]No, not really. Everybody knows what Child Abuse is, nobody learned anything from it. It's in the name for that matter.ThatOneP0ster

What people didn't already talk about it? All this FaceBook fad is give a wrongful smug reason to post a cartoon. Not that posting the cartoon(S) is bad, but the false reason for it, is.

I think this a good way to sum up what I'm trying to say. Also, the power of this fad was wasted. The chain messages should include some useful information, statistics, and etc. You know, something useful for a good cause? Not just everyone simply saying, hey I don't support Child Abuse. Even though a large majority of them are just following a fad they don't know or don't care. What I'm complaining about is that everyone is uselessly saying "Child Abuse is bad". We all know that.