What do you do when you are trying to be alone with someone and someone else attempts to jump in.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I am a very outwardly friendly and expressive guy and a lot of people tell me people gravitate to those qualities. Ill start by saying I will talk to anyone, I talk to strangers all the time. But the thing is often I will just try to engage wiith one person. For example I was talking to a girl in barnes and nobles and we were having a really great conversation, but this guy just kind of hovered by and made comments or laughed at what we were saying; it was cool but it felt like he really wanted to get into the conversation. Usually im ok with this, but in the moment the girl I was with had a very good vibe going and he was kind of disrupting it.

I have gotten this in similar situations but usually people will talk to us for a few minutes and then see we are being alone and dip. The worst part was not only did this guy encroach more, he kind of made the conversation in the direction of what he wanted to speak on; and he told a lot of personal things and overshared and I could tell most of his stories were lies(a big pet peeve of mine). Idk at this point I feel like everyone should know if its an even number group of people they arent looking for a 3rd or 5th wheel.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

I am a very outwardly friendly and expressive guy and a lot of people tell me people gravitate to those qualities. Ill start by saying I will talk to anyone, I talk to strangers all the time. But the thing is often I will just try to engage wiith one person. For example I was talking to a girl in barnes and nobles and we were having a really great conversation, but this guy just kind of hovered by and made comments or laughed at what we were saying; it was cool but it felt like he really wanted to get into the conversation. Usually im ok with this, but in the moment the girl I was with had a very good vibe going and he was kind of disrupting it.

I have gotten this in similar situations but usually people will talk to us for a few minutes and then see we are being alone and dip. The worst part was not only did this guy encroach more, he kind of made the conversation in the direction of what he wanted to speak on; and he told a lot of personal things and overshared and I could tell most of his stories were lies(a big pet peeve of mine). Idk at this point I feel like everyone should know if its an even number group of people they arent looking for a 3rd or 5th wheel.

What could you do? if this girl wants to engage this guy as well, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Kalima!

But, in all seriousness, that's a good opportunity to ask her if she'd like to go somewhere more private. Like, "hey, I'd really like to get to know you better/continue this conversation, want to go somewhere we can talk?"

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Some people can't take a hint.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mercenary848

@Master_Live said:

Amen brother

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I would communicate to the girl that you would like some one on one time together without interruptions and ask if she knows a place you could go to with just the two of you.

But if you're going out in a public space that stuff will happen from time to time. That's just how it is. I think it's best if you're just honest about it with her, without being mean/condescending about it. And if she looks at you oddly then immediately explain it to her again, clearly and honestly so she doesn't get the wrong idea.

And it could be that she loves the attention and the interjections at which point you may be out of luck. That can happen. If she isn't annoyed, perhaps you can suggest that she picks a place, then you pick a place? Then at least you can change it up a little.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Ya but who can´t take a hint, if the girl wants to talk with the other guy as well, do you expect the guy to back away because this other guy is upset.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Master_Live said:

Ya but who can´t take a hint, if the girl wants to talk with the other guy as well, do you expect the guy to back away because this other guy is upset.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

You obviously have to fight this guy to the death to win this girl's affections.

I wish you luck!

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mercenary848
@thehig1 said:

You obviously have to fight this guy to the death to win this girl's affections.

I wish you luck!

Thats the thing, we were on a date; clearly hugged up like an intimate pair. The guy just started rambling and chiming in

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

Just find another girl and everyone's replaceable.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mercenary848

@davillain- said:

Just find another girl and everyone's replaceable.

True, but it didnt hurt the date. just was an awk moment

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Tell them to piss off.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

"Me and her used to have a mutual close friend, he was a great guy. Sadly, no one has seen him since he mysteriously disappeared..."

Then slowly rub your tummy and burp. "We miss him, he'll always be close to me."

*rub belly a little more*

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts

If the girl seemed annoyed or uninterested in the other guy then I would have waited for a pause in the convo and been like "Well, I really have to get going, but I enjoyed talking to you, here is my number, call me if you want to talk or hang out later on." That would leave you with a polite out of the situation, but still keep contact with the girl, if she felt said chemistry then she'll get ahold of you. If not, then move on, because she has.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Just say this is an A and B conversation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I remember I was hanging out with this girl and took her to a record store nearby. She found this CD she wanted, and went on and on about how it was a special version of the CD that usually wasn't sold in the US. When we went to buy our stuff, the guy at the counter started repeating the same things she just told me about the CD - almost as if he just happened to listen in to what she just said. He proceeded to tell us how he grew up in the city that the band was from. I felt like he was hitting on her, which really kind of bothered me because obviously I was with her.

So I can kind of relate. Pay attention to how she seems to act regarding the other guy.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#18 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

Sometimes women do things just as a test to see how you will react in a situation. Goes back to caveman days you know proving your worth, like oh yeah he seems better at making this tool I’ll go home to his cave and start a family.

Then again I personally tend to lean on the side of if this guy is in my/her face can he not see male and female together and he’s interrupting?

Followed on by me restraining myself from punching his face in.....

James1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 James1122
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

THIS IS REALLY HELPFUL POST AND VERY INFORMATIVE THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. I FOUND THIS ONE PRETTY NICE AND IT SHOULD GO INTO MY COLLECTION. VERY GOOD WORK!