What did you think of Distric 9?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
I liked it. What about you?
yentlequible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 yentlequible
Member since 2009 • 2620 Posts
It sucks.... Just Kidding, it was awesome!!!
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
I don't understand why some people talk about how awful it is...I can only imagine they had the wrong idea of what it was. I quite liked it, but the shift from documentary-style to straight action movie was a bit jarring.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I really liked it, especially the way they presented the story in the beginning.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts

It's currently my favorite movie.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I thought it was great, its definitely my favourite movie of 2009 and one of my favourite movies of all time. I know it probably won't but I hope it wins the Oscar.
gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts
I was hoping it would be more like Alive In Joburg, but it was just another regular sci fi movie. The acting was excellent, but other then that, I thought it was pretty average.
Coka_Cola241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Coka_Cola241
Member since 2008 • 3064 Posts
It tried something different and it times seemed pretty clumsy because of it, but I really enjoyed it.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

I loved it. My favorite movie of 2009 actually.

CommonFable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 CommonFable
Member since 2009 • 884 Posts

I thought the documentary style filming mixed in was pretty cool. It was pretty original. I liked the action and the ending leads into a sequel sorta. I really enjoyed it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It was a good watch, not the best movie but not the worst either. Id give it a 8/10 or 7.5/10

Omzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Omzzz
Member since 2010 • 1440 Posts
i liked it
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I loved it. The story was great and so were the characters.
tj_odee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tj_odee
Member since 2008 • 210 Posts

I loved it, it's my favorite movie. Check my signature..

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JuggaloRandall
cat food
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Cool premise, cliched execution. I left disappointed.
dr_octagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dr_octagon
Member since 2003 • 625 Posts

I was really stoked about this movie, because it was being directed by Blomkamp, the same guy that did the Halo minimovies. I wish I had seen it in theatres before actually buying it (bad move). I'm not going to say the movie completely sucks, but there was so much I didn't like about it.

Like:

1. So the aliens have guns that instantly explodes the target from the inside? Yay, more excessive gore I didn't need to see in a movie. Why would I care about the survival of an alien race if they're cruel enough to make a weapon that does that?

2. The movie opens as a documentary. Awesome - I loved that. The shaky cams and awkward angles were very well done. But wait! Now it's a drama? What? No more shaky cams? How am I supposed to believe this? Oh wait! Now it went back to a documentary! Whatever...

3. I started laughing when the protagonist started having his little breakdown in the mech suit. I looked at my wife and said, "Is this really happening?"

4. I really love the crappy explanation for why the ship settled over Africa. That makes sense.

Honestly, I fast forwarded through most of this movie during the first view. The original Alien has a quicker pace. Boring!

These are my opinions, and now I have an unwanted copy of District 9. Any takers?

Ryukaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ryukaton
Member since 2010 • 241 Posts

I have no idea why people like it so much,

It got me bored and there was only some interesting parts towards the end of the movie.

Ryukaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ryukaton
Member since 2010 • 241 Posts

4. I really love the crappy explanation for why the ship settled over Africa. That makes sense.

dr_octagon

Well,the Aliens have to give a rest to the USA sometimes.

1zenron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 1zenron1
Member since 2010 • 672 Posts
I actually didn't like it. I didn't like the documentary style it was set in. The idea behind it was good though and to the end the film was quite good as well.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I actually didn't like it. I didn't like the documentary style it was set in. The idea behind it was good though and to the end the film was quite good as well.1zenron1
That's exactly how i felt about it.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JuggaloRandall
[QUOTE="dr_octagon"]

I was really stoked about this movie, because it was being directed by Blomkamp, the same guy that did the Halo minimovies. I wish I had seen it in theatres before actually buying it (bad move). I'm not going to say the movie completely sucks, but there was so much I didn't like about it.

Like:

1. So the aliens have guns that instantly explodes the target from the inside? Yay, more excessive gore I didn't need to see in a movie. Why would I care about the survival of an alien race if they're cruel enough to make a weapon that does that?

2. The movie opens as a documentary. Awesome - I loved that. The shaky cams and awkward angles were very well done. But wait! Now it's a drama? What? No more shaky cams? How am I supposed to believe this? Oh wait! Now it went back to a documentary! Whatever...

3. I started laughing when the protagonist started having his little breakdown in the mech suit. I looked at my wife and said, "Is this really happening?"

Honestly, I fast forwarded through most of this movie during the first view. The original Alien has a quicker pace. Boring!

These are my opinions, and now I have an unwanted copy of District 9. Any takers?

I bet the Military will have weapons that will blow people to hell like that, oh wate, its called a rocket launcher. The lighning gun was just more percise.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I enjoyed it. Also bought it.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

Excellent movie, i loved it

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 legend26

Like:

dr_octagon

oh, so human beings are peacefull and dont have horribly powerfull weapons that do that?

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
I saw it once, thought it was pretty good.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
I thought it was a great movie, definitely one of the best of last year, but there were a few things that bothered me. One is that I didn't feel too attached to the aliens, mostly because they came off as savages (except for Christopher). Also, they must have been quite intelligent to create such spacecraft and amazing weapons, yet they seem uneducated, why? I would have liked that question to be answered.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 legend26

I thought it was a great movie, definitely one of the best of last year, but there were a few things that bothered me. One is that I didn't feel too attached to the aliens, mostly because they came off as savages (except for Christopher). Also, they must have been quite intelligent to create such spacecraft and amazing weapons, yet they seem uneducated, why? I would have liked that question to be answered.Mochyc

they say it in the begining, all the aliens on the ship were just drones, the dumb worker prawns. their leaders probably died of somehow, so now they have no leadership. they are aimless

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I thought it was very good. I loved the main character and how he did a lot of horrible things and how selfish he was. Many hate him but I think he is the best action movie characters in years because he feels more human. I thought it was much better than Avatar because it was less one dimensional and black and white.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 legend26

I thought it was very good. I loved the main character and how he did a lot of horrible things and how selfish he was. Many hate him but I think he is the best action movie characters in years because he feels more human. I thought it was much better than Avatar because it was less one dimensional and black and white.

Film-Guy

this

Wikus was probably the most realistic action star ever in a movie

Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Brawl578
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

I liked it. Thought it was pretty boring in the beginning, but it slowly began to progress throughout the whole film (in a good way, I should add).

The_Bio_Shu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Bio_Shu
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
unique, yes. entertaining, yes. but id only give it a 7/10.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

legend26

this

I can see why people find him unlikeable though. He is a jerk for most of the film especially when he aborts the alien baby eggs and knocks out poor Christopher:( However that just made his transformation more emotional just like in The Fly. I also love how he swears:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Best movie I saw in 2009.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I liked it. Worth a watch for any Sci Fi fan.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

tied with avatar as my fave film of 09

Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

District 9 was my favourite movie of 2009. No questions asked.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Good story and presentation, but I felt the gory action took away from it.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#42 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I was disappointed, the hype I had read on GS didn't help it either... Honestly, I found it boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I thought it was an exceptionally bad movie. I heard a lot of priase for it and while some things about it were pretty cool, it was a really mediocre movie.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 legend26

[QUOTE="legend26"]

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

this

I can see why people find him unlikeable though. He is a jerk for most of the film especially when he aborts the alien baby eggs and knocks out poor Christopher:( However that just made his transformation more emotional just like in The Fly. I also love how he swears:P

i agree, on him being a jerk and the swearing

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

I liked it a lot but it was definitely not what I expected after hearing such great reviews on it. It's not one of my favourite movies.

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="JuggaloRandall"][QUOTE="dr_octagon"]

Like:

magicalclick

I bet the Military will have weapons that will blow people to hell like that, oh wate, its called a rocket launcher. The lighning gun was just more percise.

Well, to be preciese, lighting gun does not make things explode. However, people tends to explode when a high voltage electricity strike them. But, rocket launcher always explode.

Yeah, but the rocket launcher is a one shot thing, where you have to take time to reload and have to carry the extra ammo around. The lightning gun is way more convenient and portable compared to it.

chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts
yeah it was a good movie. i would give it a 8/10 or 4/5 stars i guess. there was nothing bad about it.. but then again there was nothing ground breaking.
chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts

Like:

dr_octagon

BAHAHAHHAHAH

if you did not have oglethorpe as your profile picture i would have lost alllllll respect i ever had for you as a fellow internet peer.

1.umm.... how is that a point at all. it's not like things were exploding as if we were in a michael bay movie

2. umm WHO WANTS TO SEE A DOCUMENTARY about aliens landing on earth and just chilling out. something has to happen out of the ordinary, or WHO CARES?

3. he was turning into an alien. i thought it was one of the less ridiculous things i have seen come out of holly wood in the last few years. i am sure if you were turning into an alien yourself, about to forsake your former life, you would have similar feelings. it's not like this has been done a million times before to the point where its just silly to have in a movie. i would freaking cry if i was turning into an alien thing.

4. they never really explained why the mothership was docked at earth. it's better that way. would you rather have some stupid cliche explanation? i wouldn't. its better to go unexplained and have you think about it.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
I enjoyed it.