deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

Tea, Coffee, Pasta, Noodles, Sandwiches,Eggs.I'm not a cook per say but can make myself breakfast as i stated.

What can you cook OT? You seem like a connoisseur of sorts @mrbojangles25, what can you cook?

Well?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Various pasta dishes. I can make my own bolognese, though I prefer butter-fried seafood (shrimp, calamari, New Zealand mussels) and pesto.

Also, fried eggs cooked in a way that makes the white crispy, omelet, French toasts, various burgers and sandwiches, fried chicken, fish & chips. That's off the top of my head, there's probably more.

I don't consider myself a good cook by any means, just adventurous. I'm not afraid to try new recipes - I just fail repeatedly until I get something resembling success.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7263 Posts

Pot noodles

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14812 Posts

I can cook anything. I’ll follow a recipe and it tastes great. I just hate cooking so much.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@carljohnsoncj said:

Tea, Coffee, Pasta, Noodles, Sandwiches,Eggs.I'm not a cook per say but can make myself breakfast as i stated.

What can you cook OT? You seem like a connoisseur of sorts @mrbojangles25, what can you cook?

Well?

Everything but Chinese and most Japanese hahaha.

I've got Italian down pretty good.

I meal prep before my work week and usually just improvise, take cues from various cuisines I know, but don't need recipes so much anymore. It's sort of like the matrix, I open my fridge and I don't even see garlic and milk and turkey, I see spicy pork miso soup or frittata just waiting to be made :P

I don't bake, though! Too much amazingly tasty stuff, if I made a pie I'd probably eat half. A batch of cookies wouldn't last more than a couple days.

Once you are familiar with a few techniques and basic seasoning (how much salt do I need, when have I used too much pepper, etc), you can cook anything. It's also important to understand that every cuisine/country/etc has a pretty simply foundation for their flavorings. While traditional French/Continental food is onion, celery, carrot (miripoix), you can alter this into creole by going for the "trinity" of onion, celery, bell pepper.

It's sad when I encounter people that don't cook, or don't want to. I get it, though, it can be a lot of work. People just don't understand it doesn't have to be.

@madrocketeer said:

Various pasta dishes. I can make my own bolognese, though I prefer butter-fried seafood (shrimp, calamari, New Zealand mussels) and pesto.

Also, fried eggs cooked in a way that makes the white crispy, omelet, French toasts, various burgers and sandwiches, fried chicken, fish & chips. That's off the top of my head, there's probably more.

I don't consider myself a good cook by any means, just adventurous. I'm not afraid to try new recipes - I just fail repeatedly until I get something resembling success.

AHhhhhhh! That's the best part! The self-criticism, the self-improvement, the trial and error. I love that part.

Even when I make a meal for holiday at my folks and everyone is like "holy shit this is amazing" my mom and I (she and I generally cook) are discussing how to make it better.

I'm working on my omelet technique at the moment and while I can make an OK omelet, the french technique is really difficult. But, you get to eat your mistakes. Another part I enjoy :D

Loading Video...

I mean...it's three damn eggs and some salt and pepper (and cheese, if you want). But it just shows how technique is so important to make this amazing thing (and quality ingredients).

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I cook nothing. I only BBQ. If my wife should die before me, I'll be BBQ'ing or eating out every day.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#7 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6099 Posts

I pan fry just about everything I cook. I usually get fries take out. I consider everything but fries is a side dish. French fries are quite often a large part of my suppers with gravy,especially poutine as being my favorite.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#8 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

when I was growing up, my mom was a terrible cook and my dad got home late from work so me and my brothers started cooking meals out of self defence.

I still cook for myself 90% of the time, so I have a pretty big range of stuff I can make.

I can make pretty much anything with a recipe, but I have some 'staples' - I BBQ a lot since its relatively quick and doesn't make much of a mess. otherwise I'll make various stir-fries with meat, veggies and rice or noodles and maybe throw in an egg, curries (though I buy pre-made curry sauces, only tried making curry from scratch once), pasta with various sauces, or roast stuff in the oven. One thing i've been doing a lot of lately is cutting up small potatoes into wedges, tossing them in a bowl with some olive oil and spices and putting them in the oven for 40 minutes or so, makes for some good home-fries.

I also like baking - scones, crepes, and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are my specialties but I've also made various kinds of short-bread, cakes, brownies, squares, sugar cookies... never really ventured into the pie realm though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Make a mean curry.

Other than that, na.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Why you always make the same threads indz?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By madrocketeer

@mrbojangles25:

First time I cooked an omelette and inevitably messed it up, I thought: "fuggit, scrambled eggs," ate it anyway, and tried again.

Not sure how many "scrambled eggs" I'd have to make to do that video. Not that I'm not willing to give it a try or two, mind you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@madrocketeer:

Im told my omelettes are incredibe. Anybody can suffer from new/different pan/heat source syndrom though.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By madrocketeer

@heirren:

After quite a few "scrambled eggs," my omelettes these days at least look like omelettes and are edible... ...to me. I suppose I should get a second opinion on that.

Time to find me a victim...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@madrocketeer:

Good luck on that.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

I can cook pretty much anything. Except for baking pastries and desserts, etc...

My favorite thing to cook is soups. I'm a big fan of the all-day stock in a giant pot. Chili too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56229 Posts

Anything I can put in the Microwave, I'm a good cook :)

Avatar image for dr_van_nostrand
Dr_Van_Nostrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dr_Van_Nostrand
Member since 2018 • 111 Posts

I had people install cameras in my house they spie on me watch me take bath and make food.

V———————-V

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Here's an easy one: pasta bake + mayonnaise. That is a treat and is about 30 seconds prep.

I can poach eggs. This took years to master and is the most difficult thing I can cook. Here is the trick: water must not be too hot or the whites will separate into the water and make egg scum. Make a whirlpool to put them into. Add vinegar if your not confident to keep the whites together. It always takes the same amount of time as toast. Don't leave them in. The window for a runny yolk is about 2 minutes from runny to hard so timing is crucial.

I have about 10 recipes memorised but signature dishes is Moroccan Tagine. This takes four hours at least but is quite simple to make. Just don't burn it.

I have learnt some far eastern dishes recently such as Malaysian garlic chicken. Marinade chicken in yoghurt with water, s+p for at least 2 hours. I needed to buy a mortar and pestle for the next bit. Mush up 5 chillies, 5 garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp sugar, 3/4 tbsp vinegar, a little salt and water at the end to form a past. Add the paste to the marinading chicken. Add cumin seeds to oil in a wok and turn on till they pop. Chuck in a chopped onion until golden then add the chicken and cover for 5 minutes to poach the chicken until cooked then remove the lid until the marinade has stuck to the chicken. Put it on noodles or something.

Cooking is not that easy, you need to be determined. I even make bread now. I make a dough then twist 3 balls off it and put them in the freezer to be pizza bases later. This is ridiculously convoluted but once you've done something a few times it gets easier. One the base is thawed it takes about 10 minutes to roll it out and make a pizza.

The key to cooking is having an organised kitchen. Clean as you go. That is the pro way. You need a clear head or things can go wrong. Also you will probably need the space. I even made a pie the other day. I saw a little pie tin in the shop and have made 2 pies. Pies aren't that great to make though as if they have meat you need to cook it first and it's a bit faffy but all that dough and filling made alot of food.

You save loads of money and it tastes better. Stop playing games for an hour and cook something. It's one of life's great pleasures.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I actually started cooking more this year.

Sweet potato soup, couscous with feta and bataat, overfilled calzone w. chorizo, braided lemonbread, chocolate bark w. pecan dried fruit and peanut butter, sweet pretzels, flatbreads with vegan balls and fetadip, deer steak with cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes/salad.

I'm going to try scotched eggs soon. And a traditional Indian curry. And bagels. I think cooking is kinda fun. It's still a bit too stressful to enjoy it a lot. I guess I included baking. I don't know if that's part of cooking in English. Well, to me it is.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Why you always make the same threads indz?

To get his post count back up, then to "leave" GS for a few months when people call him out on that other board, and to come back with a new alt, when most people here know its him.

He posts exactly the same way, creates similar threads and asks similar questions.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Most anything. If you have a knack for following directions, some creativity, and attention to detail, you can cook most anything.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3482 Posts

Pasta, noodles, rice, eggs, chicken. Pretty much that.

One time I made chicken fajitas... took me a bloody 1 hours to prepare and cook. Never thought it would take me that long

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Pasta, eggs, rice, french fries, toast. Basic stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Raw meat, raw eggs, raw greens.

Jesser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jesser
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Eggs are my go to also --- fast,easy,and taste great;especially for the length of time..... There are so many recipes for eggs: omelettes and egg tacos

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shellcase86

@jesser said:

Eggs are my go to also --- fast,easy,and taste great;especially for the length of time..... There are so many recipes for eggs: omelettes and egg tacos

True. Eggs are great and fun to cook with.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I bake a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies. The secret is good Mexican vanilla.

-Byshop

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shellcase86

@Byshop said:

I bake a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies. The secret is good Mexican vanilla.

-Byshop

Nice! Wouldn't think of that.