What are your biggest pet peeves when dealing with strangers?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

I am someone who is very big on boundaries and I try to always be conscious of others. I guess my biggest pet peeve is when people encroach on my boundaries, especially if I sense any aggression. I cant stand when people try to get my attention in an aggressive manner, I live in the city and I genuinely try to tune people out. I am 100% for interacting with anyone in a friendly manner, but occasionally people like to yell/grab at me to get my attention and that shit just rubs me the wrong way.

I really don't get it, at any given moment if you catch me on an off day I subconsciously want to kill everyone around me for minor things. But even if I have to interact with strangers in order to stop them from encroaching on me IE "some dude leaning against me in line" I am genuinely polite unless they persist and I feel that is most people. Occasionally though I run into those people who are just randomly dicks to strangers, and then I either ignore them but if I can't its sarcasm mode. I don't get why aggressive people are usually the thinnest skinned, especially in the city.

Also two other pet peeves: being followed and people randomly touching my stuff.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mercenary848

I don't know why I said "two" in the original lol

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Dealing with people in any way is my biggest pet peeve...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59394 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

I am someone who is very big on boundaries and I try to always be conscious of others. I guess my biggest pet peeve is when people encroach on my boundaries

I hate when people do not, or barely knock a door and automatically open it up and unironically ask "are you in". Women espcailly seem to do this.

Don't smoke anymore, but I use to hate when you were lighting a cigarettes, someone waiting at the bus stop or whatever would ask for one. There is a certain gall to that, that always pissed me off abit.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I haven't really seen too many people bursting into my airspace. The closest would be a dumbass driver who squeezed his car ahead of mine where there was barely 2 car lengths instead of behind me where there was almost 100 ft of clear space.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I hate people standing right in front of me yelling at me like I'm across the street. Holy shit dude, why? I'm not deaf.

I also dislike people who spit, snot rocket, forcibly burp and so on in front of people. Learn some fucking manners, alright?

Also, cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough...do it into the inside of your elbow, not your hand. I don't want you horking up on your hands and then touching the same shit I have to touch. A little common sense, please.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Takes a lot of energy just to deal with people in general. It's like trying to micromanage your situation.

To add to your topic, I hate it when strangers think it's ok to touch me or my stuff.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17700 Posts

I'm disabled but look perfectly healthy when I've my shirt on. My left arm is unusable above my shoulder and all the muscles have atrophied in the upper left quadrant of my body. Because people can't see this, I've run into a few situations where I'm asked for help or am expected to be able to function like I'm fully-able, and then people get angry when I struggle. I end up snapping at them in not the nicest of manners, even though I can't much blame them for their ignorance.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I can't look people in the eyes. I think you can imagine some of the inconveniences that come with that. They might think I'm being rude or disinterested, or that I think they're not worth my time or that I am avoiding them. Interestingly, people who have things that weigh heavily on them, they kinda like it. I can usually tell quite quickly who has had a rough time without them trying to express it.

Resulting from this, my biggest pet peeve is a lack of clear communication. "It's near the couch." Proceed to walk into rooms with many couches. Why not say the black couch? That stuff annoys me.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

I hate people standing right in front of me yelling at me like I'm across the street. Holy shit dude, why? I'm not deaf.

I also dislike people who spit, snot rocket, forcibly burp and so on in front of people. Learn some fucking manners, alright?

Also, cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough...do it into the inside of your elbow, not your hand. I don't want you horking up on your hands and then touching the same shit I have to touch. A little common sense, please.

All of this.

@MuD3 said:

But then it usually simply comes down to this. And when dealing with other people is a problem then that's quite a problem since it seems the world is made out of people, so I can't avoid them.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Just now I been for a walk and some one came up to me and asked. Y or B MATE. I said Sorry?. Y OR B MATE. I just walked off with out saying anything else. What does Y OR B even mean. I didn't even give him the chance and walked off.

As said I live in the UK and any temp above 15c and sunny it brings out the looney people. But that freaked me out abit the way he said it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@MuD3 said:

Was just about to say this myself

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Don't normally have issues dealing w/ the general public. However, one pet peeve is use of vague/ambiguous terms when specific/clear information is available.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mercenary848

@shellcase86 said:

Don't normally have issues dealing w/ the general public. However, one pet peeve is use of vague/ambiguous terms when specific/clear information is available.

Oh god ys, especially in the work place. The worst communicators work in restaurants imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

To me a pet peeve is something that most people don't find annoying but I do so to me generally rude or thoughtless people aren't a pet peeve because nobody likes that.

Anyway, to me one of the things that annoys me the most is when people try to chat me up by asking what I'm reading/listening to. Now I know there's nothing particularly nefarious about the question but reading/listening to music in public is my way of having a little time/space for myself when I need a break so when somebody asks me what I'm reading I feel like they just saw my house door open and decided to take a nap on my couch. It's a stupid feeling but I can't help it.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#16 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Them existing

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

After I just get in a restroom for about 1 minute, still not finished pissing and someone (99% are men) would knock on the door. It really pisses me off, worse when I come out, sometimes a guy would stare at me as if I was sleeping in the restroom for 1 hr.

Another pet peeve is that, when I'm walking or using my tablet, some stranger ask me something without saying "Excuse me" first. I notice this seems normal in America nowadays but to me, it's rude. Look, I'm busy doing my business and you interrupt me, you invonvenience me, so you should say "Excuse me", Another pet peeve is when someone can't hear me, they say "What?" instead of "Excuse me"or "I'm sorry", to me it's rude, especially when some teenager or a young person say that to me. Sadly, good manners in America is becoming a rarity.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44696 Posts

people take being told to go f*ck themselves way too personally

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#19  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

People who are rude, who don't acknowledge you because they're busy playing on their phones. People who litter.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14830 Posts

Dealing with strangers.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

People who bug me when I'm listening to music or reading. You see my earbuds on? Do you see me focused on my book? Then why the hell are you bothering me?? Those tactics are my way to ignore the world around me.

People trying to have a conversation with you across the street, yelling. I grew up in a quiet household, so I don't feel comfortable throwing my voice to have a simple chat. I find it rude. If you want to talk, cross the damn street.

Small talk.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

When someone stares at me.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I don't really like going out in public much, and one thing that annoys me are slow walkers. If you're not elderly or disabled, I can assume you can walk more than 0.01 MPH.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Although I come from a small family, I have a big group of relatives and in-laws. I had to learn to not be self-centered because aside from them being family and me exercising some courtesy, I may have to ask them for help one of these days. I cultivate good relations with them. If they need something even if I'm wretchedly sick, they have my support.

When it comes to strangers, my first tendency is to not give a shit about them because I already have my own little world. In reality, what I practice with people in my world, I also end up practicing with strangers. If strangers demand my attention? They have it. A lot of times, people ask me little favors like what time it is, for example. If they want to strike up a conversation? Sure. I'll oblige them within reasonable limits.

One time, a tall, pretty freckled-faced woman struck up a conversation with me while we were in the gate security line at Syracuse Airport. Although I was quite busy opening up bags, taking off my shoes, etc, I politely obliged her. We just talked about anything while we were at the departure gates. It struck me that she just wanted to hear a friendly voice. So, we talked until it was time for me to board. I didn't even get her name. But, I remember hoping she was fine after our chat.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

People that are like 100% friendly. It's like "Dude, you don't know me, I don't know you: dial it down to 5 and just be polite and let's talk". People that are super outgoing and overly nice when I just met them alienate the shit out of me and make me incredibly paranoid and distrustful of them.

Or when people tell me to smile, or ask me what's wrong. I'm a dude, but I guess you can say I have "resting asshole face" as they say. I get it, I totally get why women get pissed off when they are asked if they're pissed. Sorry, I just look pissed off I guess. Just the way I look! **** off.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Excessive friendliness. Get off my back, we aren't friends and we aren't going to be friends if you keep trying to get in my personal space.

Time wasters. Your time is valuable dude, you shouldn't be wasting it talking about your mother's uncle's grandpa and his penchant for fried porridge to strangers. Even more important, my time is even more valuable to me than yours is, so if you don't have a good reason for wasting it I will start frothing in anger.

Bullshit flingers. "Natural" or "organic" are bullshit labels that don't mean anything on food, the horoscope is bullshit, correctly foreseeing the outcome of a bet with astronomical odds once doesn't make you a magician, everything is a chemical and most chemicals added on foods are completely harmless, most banks whose services deal with businesses and normal people aren't thieves, most medics aren't corrupt and they aren't out to get you to be as unhealthy as possible, most science isn't hard and just requires you to have certain knowledge beforehand for you to understand it, conspiracy theories are bullshit, most protests about people's rights are meaningless public shows of stupidity and inability to understand the world around you, so on and so forth.

Loudmouths. Both people who speak too loud or too much and whore attention make my skin itch. One particularly irritating instance of this happened to me on Christmas Eve. My mother's lover invited us to eat at his family's house. His sister's husband was the epitome of loudmouth. When his mouth wasn't busy chewing food, it was busy talking about football. About recently played games, about less recently played games, about his fantasy football score this year, about his fantasy football score last year, about some other guy he worked with and his football score, about football pools. I mean, if everyone but me was interested in it I wouldn't even have minded, but he was only talking with 2 other guys about my age out of a table of 10 people, sometimes throwing snark at the women for not being knowledgeable about football. Out of about 4 hours spent at their house, a good 3 were spent with him talking, and 2 and a half of those 3 were about football. I swear I never wanted to knock someone out cold as bad as I did with this guy.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mercenary848

@mrbojangles25 said:

People that are like 100% friendly. It's like "Dude, you don't know me, I don't know you: dial it down to 5 and just be polite and let's talk". People that are super outgoing and overly nice when I just met them alienate the shit out of me and make me incredibly paranoid and distrustful of them.

Or when people tell me to smile, or ask me what's wrong. I'm a dude, but I guess you can say I have "resting asshole face" as they say. I get it, I totally get why women get pissed off when they are asked if they're pissed. Sorry, I just look pissed off I guess. Just the way I look! **** off.

Hahaha that top one is me. I don't know why, its not even conscious anymore. I guess because when I was a kid I was super shy and terrified to talk to everyone. And then I don't know once I became more confident I became super interested in getting to know new people. Although I am diserning about it, and have kind of gotten good at telling when people are turned off by positive energy. I just kind of smile at everyone and make eye contact.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28  Edited By Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

People who can't differentiate between Craig & Greg. I automatically assume their borderline retarded. When they do I will take the time to explain to them the difference between "C" and "G" sounds & how this usually happens in elementary school.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

...Well, I'm really on the fence in saying people in general given that I have a large list of pet peeves. But I'll try to stick with the major ones as possible:

1. Loud talkers. Seriously, I'm not across the street so there's no need to announce our business to the entire neighborhood.
  2. People that constantly talk over me when I'm trying to explain something to them.
  3. People that can't seem to follow BASIC instructions without getting confrontational (i.e., ask for driver license or employee ID and some people look at me as if I ask them for the social security card)
  4. When people begin drifting our conversations into the prejudice/bigot territory ESPECIALLY when we've got people present within said demographic that they're trying to insult.
  5. People who continuously attempt to get into my space when I obviously have a "leave me the hell alone" look on my face.
  6. People who hang over my shoulders whenever I'm using my laptop/phone without my consent.
  7. Bullshitters (BSer's). Basically, people who like to brag about how much they have but really got nothing to show for it. (i.e., "I'm so rich man that I can buy me any type of car I want. Shiet, I can smash any woman I want by throwing them the couple hundreds I got!" *Still catches the bus or begs me to give them a ride to their home a year later. Still ask to borrow money saying they'll pay me back later*)
  8. Complainers. Specifically, those who yammer on about self-made personal problems that they can easily fix. (i.e., "My wife won't let/help me look for a different job from the one I hated for the last 20 years, allow me to fix my car that's been sitting on company lot for years, let me sleep more than 2 hours when I come home after working night shift, care for my aching body during my off hours from work, etc. all because she'd thinks I was cheating if I'm stay out too long or being lazy. I'd be so happy if I was single")
  9. People who throw trash out of their car while driving. Or litter in general for the matter.

So much more but I think I'll stop at 9....