What are some good hip hop albums from this year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Crimtmp
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

Honestly I havent heard much that has impressed me. I love the Beastie Boys album, the Shabazz Palaces album is growing on me and I still need to check out Goblin.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Goblin is golden. It's also nice to see Frank Ocean getting some more exposure as he's on two tracks of Jay-Z and Kanye West's new one. Make sure you check out Eminem and Royce Da 5'9"s due Bad Meets Evil. Get the deluxe version, because the regular version is pretty short. If you like Wu-Tang, Legendary Weapons is pretty good. Much better than 8 Diagrams and Chamber Music.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Tech N9ne - All 6's and 7's. It's rap not hip-hop but Tech outclasses most rappers out there and definitely trashes on garbage that is mainstream most notably Kanye West.

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Crimtmp

Frank Ocean is really the only reason I care about checking out The Throne. I am not the biggest fan of Jay Z and Kanye is very hit or miss for me. I think if I went into it just expecting popcorn fun, nothing amazing I would probably like it.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Cunninlynguists - Oneirology

And FWIW, Kanye West > Tech N9ne

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Crimtmp

Cunninlynguists - OneirologyJML897
ahhhhh I cant believe I forgot about this album :(

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jolt_counter119

JML897

I know were talking opinions here but that is a flat out wrong opinion. I'd be hard-pressed to kall Kanye a better rapper than anyone how people respect his mic game is beyond me.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JustPlainLucas

Tech N9ne - All 6's and 7's. It's rap not hip-hop but Tech outclasses most rappers out there and definitely trashes on garbage that is mainstream most notably Kanye West.

Jolt_counter119
Ehh.... I enjoyed his older stuff more. That album was a let down on many counts. World Wide Choppers is amazing, though.

Frank Ocean is really the only reason I care about checking out The Throne. I am not the biggest fan of Jay Z and Kanye is very hit or miss for me. I think if I went into it just expecting popcorn fun, nothing amazing I would probably like it.

Crimtmp
Well, if you find Jay-Z and Kanye very hit or miss already, then you're probably not going to like Watch the Throne at all.

JML897
Kanye would trip over his loafers trying to rap as fast as Tech.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
As far as rapping ability goes, sure Tech N9ne is better than Kanye. As far as making enjoyable music goes (which is all I care about), Kanye is much better to me.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JustPlainLucas

I know were talking opinions here but that is a flat out wrong opinion. I'd be hard-pressed to kall Kanye a better rapper than anyone how people respect his mic game is beyond me.

Jolt_counter119
Kanye can rap well sometimes. I'm still partial to Gold Digger. But yeah, he's no where near Tech's echelon.
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crimtmp

Kanye's last album was pretty solid. Sure he is not the best lyricist but it was the most mature and the production was on point...sampling King Crimson is always a shoe in for me.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JML897

Big KRIT-Return Of 4evaMkavanaugh77

This is awesome too.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

Jolt_counter119

When he does good he does really good. I don't think its so much that he's bad, just look at things like his latest album, the songs he did with Child Rebel Soldier, etc. Iunno, I think that'd outweigh the bad. That said, this year hasn't been that great so far, in my opinion :( Lasers came out and that was supposed to be great but ended being a real letdown. Watch the Throne was apparently not terrible but nowhere near as good as it should have been, especially given the duo.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JustPlainLucas
As far as rapping ability goes, sure Tech N9ne is better than Kanye. As far as making enjoyable music goes (which is all I care about), Kanye is much better to me.JML897
Because Kanye relies on his mass market appeal and production ability. The reason I think Tech isn't liked enough to be considered mainstream is because he's usually too dark most of the time.
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Crimtmp

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

Skittles_McGee

When he does good he does really good. I don't think its so much that he's bad, just look at things like his latest album, the songs he did with Child Rebel Soldier, etc. Iunno, I think that'd outweigh the bad. That said, this year hasn't been that great so far, in my opinion :( Lasers came out and that was supposed to be great but ended being a real letdown. Watch the Throne was apparently not terrible but nowhere near as good as it should have been, especially given the duo.

I knew Lasers was going to be balls after Lupe went to Atlantic to do it. Even The Cool let me down after FnL, I am hoping his next effort goes back to his FnL days.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]As far as rapping ability goes, sure Tech N9ne is better than Kanye. As far as making enjoyable music goes (which is all I care about), Kanye is much better to me.JustPlainLucas
Because Kanye relies on his mass market appeal and production ability. The reason I think Tech isn't liked enough to be considered mainstream is because he's usually too dark most of the time.

It doesn't matter what Kanye "relies" on -- good production is just as big a part of hip-hop as rapping is.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#18 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Goblin is golden. It's also nice to see Frank Ocean getting some more exposure as he's on two tracks of Jay-Z and Kanye West's new one. Make sure you check out Eminem and Royce Da 5'9"s due Bad Meets Evil. Get the deluxe version, because the regular version is pretty short. If you like Wu-Tang, Legendary Weapons is pretty good. Much better than 8 Diagrams and Chamber Music.JustPlainLucas

Goblin... notsureifserious.jpg

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

I knew Lasers was going to be balls after Lupe went to Atlantic to do it. Even The Cool let me down after FnL, I am hoping his next effort goes back to his FnL days.

Crimtmp

I ended up liking The Cool more than F&L. I think F&L is a little stronger lyrically, but that The Cool is a LOT stronger on the beats but still strong enough on the lyrics to be better overall.

Thats just me though.

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="JML897"]As far as rapping ability goes, sure Tech N9ne is better than Kanye. As far as making enjoyable music goes (which is all I care about), Kanye is much better to me.JML897

It doesn't matter what Kanye "relies" on -- good production is just as big a part of hip-hop as rapping is.

no matter what classic you sample or how classy you are on the keyboards, it always comes down to rapping and Kanye just isn't that good at it. I always thought he should just stick to producing for others.

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Crimtmp

[QUOTE="Crimtmp"]I knew Lasers was going to be balls after Lupe went to Atlantic to do it. Even The Cool let me down after FnL, I am hoping his next effort goes back to his FnL days.

Skittles_McGee

I ended up liking The Cool more than F&L. I think F&L is a little stronger lyrically, but that The Cool is a LOT stronger on the beats but still strong enough on the lyrics to be better overall.

Thats just me though.

I am very big on lyrics and I care about beats too no doubt but if the beats start to outshine the lyrics to me the album falters.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JustPlainLucas

Kanye's last album was pretty solid. Sure he is not the best lyricist but it was the most mature and the production was on point...sampling King Crimson is always a shoe in for me.

Crimtmp
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was incredible to me because he went off the beaten path and did a lot of experimentation. You can see that it was a culmination of of everything he was working on from College Dropout to 808s and Hearbreaks. I honestly love that album to death. [QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] Lasers came out and that was supposed to be great but ended being a real letdown. Watch the Throne was apparently not terrible but nowhere near as good as it should have been, especially given the duo.

Lasers was so disappointing, it was depressing... :(
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Crimtmp

What about this Theophilus London album? I heard "Why Even Try" this week and I really enjoyed it, sounded right out of the 80s

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JustPlainLucas

JML897
And that's why radio today is in such poor shape. A lot of average rappers are climbing the charts because a) they have a big name providing the beats or b) has T-Pain, Akon, 50 Cent or some other big name rapping/singing the hook, or in some cases both.

Goblin... notsureifserious.jpg

joesh89
100 percent cotton serious.
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Crimtmp

Wait, people still care about 50 Cent?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JustPlainLucas

Thats just me though.

Skittles_McGee
That's pretty much how I feel. Unfortunately, Lasers didn't stand out to me on either aspect.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JustPlainLucas

Crimtmp
Unfortunately, yes.
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Crimtmp

[QUOTE="Crimtmp"]

JustPlainLucas

Unfortunately, yes.

I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

This year, I would say the following:

Tech N9ne - All 6s and 7s

Snoop Dogg - Doggumentary (not his best but it has some good songs on it)

DJ Khaled - We The Best Forever

Snow Tha Product (She's underground right now but if what she released already is any indication she'll be somebody to listen to when her new mixtape comes out this year)

I haven't heard Jay-Z and Kanye's new album yet since I'm waiting on the Deluxe Version. But from what I heard it's pretty good.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JustPlainLucas

Crimtmp
50 is anomaly. The man started doing mix tapes in the late 90s and actually was pretty good. How to Rob is still bonafide classic, but then the man gets shot nine times, made a huge media celebrity overnight, signed to a giant label, made his last great album Get Rich or Die Trying, and then coasts the rest of the way through his career. Then he sells his stock in Vitamin Water and makes 400 million. The man doesn't even have to try to sound good anymore. His music sells based on name recognition alone. He doesn't even have to try anymore. This, kids, is why you NEVER rely on just your rapping if you want to be extremely rich in the rap game...
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58336 Posts

I don't know when it came out, but I've just found out about Astronautalis. Pretty sweet

The Story of My Life

Two Years Before the Mast

The Wondersmith and His Sons

Trouble Hunters (its a rap about the Battle of Trenton, wtf lol?)

Clouddead is pretty good too.

Rifle Eyes

Dead Dogs Two

Pop Song

Our Name

Liek I said, not sure when they came out, but I think theyre pretty recent.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58336 Posts

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Crimtmp"]

Crimtmp

Unfortunately, yes.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]As far as rapping ability goes, sure Tech N9ne is better than Kanye. As far as making enjoyable music goes (which is all I care about), Kanye is much better to me.JustPlainLucas

he's too dark and he's too corny. that horrorcore **** just doesn't work, it's been proven time and time again....except for gravediggas.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lazerface216

don't get me wrong, tech's a decent lyricist. i just think people are more impressed with his spitfire flow than his actual lyrical content.

maul1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 maul1000
Member since 2005 • 125 Posts

I'm suprised i haven't seen anybody posted it yet but check out Section 80 by Kendrick Lamar. Its my personal album of the year.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#36 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Jolt_counter119

LOL. Tech N9ne is definitely a better MC than Kanye, but Kanye slaughters him on a musical level.

An album like My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy is beyond what someone like Tech N9ne could create.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"] Because Kanye relies on his mass market appeal and production ability. The reason I think Tech isn't liked enough to be considered mainstream is because he's usually too dark most of the time. Jolt_counter119

no matter what classic you sample or how classy you are on the keyboards, it always comes down to rapping and Kanye just isn't that good at it. I always thought he should just stick to producing for others.

He's not great at it, but he's good enough at it to support his musical vision, which is far more ambitious than TechN9ne's.

I don't see why the rapping itself is more important than the music. They're equally important IMO.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="JML897"]As far as rapping ability goes, sure Tech N9ne is better than Kanye. As far as making enjoyable music goes (which is all I care about), Kanye is much better to me.lazerface216

he's too dark and he's too corny. that horrorcore **** just doesn't work, it's been proven time and time again....except for gravediggas.

I agree. Horrorcore is hella corny.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JML897

I'm suprised i haven't seen anybody posted it yet but check out Section 80 by Kendrick Lamar. Its my personal album of the year.

maul1000

Fantastic album.

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

GreySeal9

He's not great at it, but he's good enough at it to support his musical vision, which is far more ambitious than TechN9ne's.

I don't see why the rapping itself is more important than the music. They're equally important IMO.

I would agree with production being important but his rapping ruins it. And his beats aren't that good that I'd even enjoy them separately. He's a good producer with bad rapping abilities and his lyrics are nothing special. Jack of all trades master of none but Tech is just a better rapper, maybe one of the best in the world, and he doesn't just do horror listen to Delusional, he's been changing it up dramatically and he still stays true to himself without selling out to get a big record deal to go mainstream.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
I like OF, but most of what I've heard of Goblin hasn't been very good. I liked Kanye's album though.
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Just a few from off the top of my head

Blue Scholar - Cinemetropolis

Big Krit - Return of 4eva

DJ Quik - The Book of David

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lazerface216

Curren$y x Alchemist - Covert Coup

Orlando_Magic

oh man, thank you for pointing this one out. i can't believe i missed this.

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
XV - Zero Heroes. Mix-tape but w/e.
Celus93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Celus93
Member since 2009 • 139 Posts

Watch the Throne

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

and because he sucks. kanye>tech 9 easily.