We're all that's left!

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Still_Vicious
Member since 2016 • 319 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@still_vicious: That's the problem here. GS has been bought by a PC owner. And this PC owner cares about their consistent PC reputation on its other more important services. They can careless about this place. If this place is dead, they just sold it or buy another one.

Some people haven't experience this. But, I got into trouble once for doing a light hearted response to a person, who previously made a bad post and his post got deleted. And my post has zero subject, only directed to the person, and somehow mod thinks my post violates the rule when the post only contains completely sanitized content with no subject what-so-ever. Somehow responding to that person with completely sanitized and cryptic message is a violation. I just can't comprehend how they operates.

Anyway, it is their site. They want a PC community. That's their choice. Nothing inherently wrong with that to be honest.

It's caused a hemorrhage of users and killed discussion. On top of terribad articles like this:http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-disturbing-representation-of-women-in-the-rainbow-six-siege-e3-demo/1100-6420266/ Personally I like debating things, even if the other guy is an idiot, with PC it's just push those feelings down deep and don't think.

PC just ruins everything :'(

Honestly I don't even understand the business model either. It just pushes customers away. GS used to be the 50th most visited website in the world. Yes world. That was years ago, now they're like 900. I don't wonder why.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@MrGeezer: I personally remembered threads back in the days are filled with much vulgar and can get away with it. Everyone wishing the guy to be banned, but, never did. Until the guy finally got perm banned, there was thread rejoice the ban over 20 pages long.

I still remember those "someone got banned" threads. They were originally celebration threads. But, after awhile, it is more become a debate whether the guy should be banned. And more and more in frequency. Many of the largest contributors got banned and their friends got bored of missing friends.

I remember the thread was filled with those groupies talking among themselves where I had little chance of jumping in the conversation. But, one by one, they got banned or left in protests.

Really, you can't even discuss race issue in here anymore. Before, everyone will call each other names and trying to prove another person is wrong. Now, they just hit the flag button and label another person is offensive.

I stand my opinion. I have been here for a long long time. And no one really noticed me because there were far more vocal contributors with strong language usage than me.

Now that most of those people having more emotional and expressive language usage than me were either banned or left, I become a lot more memorable than before. I did not change. If I have changed, I am just being more PC to keep my old membership. But, the community has changed greatly.

Of course, this is just my personal opinions. You may interpret the same events differently. But, IMO, the censorship is going overboard. And this is not just GS. This is the entire world. It is saddening really. Seeing some companies boycott everyone in that anti-LGBT state, punishing the tons of residents who were in fact pro-LGBT and thinking such oppressive action is justified. People now rather use more oppressive action to people of different opinions. Like here, people would rather hit that flag button to ban another person than engaging in conversation. It is very disappointing.

Okay, and...?

Times change. Terms of service may change. What may have been acceptable conduct 10 years ago may not be acceptable conduct now.

But the point still remains that this forum is still WAY more lax about conduct than many forums out there. We're still mostly allowed to speak our opinions here as long as we're not deliberately trolling with stuff like, "Hitler was right, the jews need to disappear." How many instances can you cite of someone getting banned here because of the opinions they expressed as opposed to how they expressed their opinions? In my anecdotal view, that's extremely rare. Aside from very clear instances of trolling, it seems to be that the majority of people who get suspended or banned are usually suspended or banned because of HOW they express their opinions. Which is perfectly reasonable, actually. And while it's true that we might have been able to get away with more in the old days, we're still able to get away with a LOT of bad conduct here that absolutely wouldn't be tolerated on some other websites.

I just don't really see the problem. I've received moderations before, and 9 times out of 10 I could accept that it was my own fault for not following rules that I knew about and were clearly posted. I may be banned tomorrow, but if that happens it's PROBABLY because I was acting like a jackass and I PROBABLY will be able to look back in retrospect and see that I knew I was toeing the line before I ever typed whatever it was that got me banned. I really just don't see the terms of use being THAT restrictive here. We can actually still get away with quite a bit of inappropriate conduct, and it's generally not very hard at all (for me at least) to speak my mind while still not presenting myself as such a jackass that I need to be banned. This has nothing to do with systematically eliminating anyone who isn't pro-LBGT. This isn't a censorship issue to get worked up about. Even if there is a pro-LBGT bias among the people who run this site, they still generally allow dissenters to give their opinion (hence the entire reason why arguments about LBGT issues are actually a thing that happen here; if the dissenters flat-out got banned then there'd be nothing to sustain a discussion).

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14822 Posts

@magicalclick said:

But, they make it worse with strict censorship. And I really think those SJW are making the world so much more oppressive now. It is really sad. But, we just have to adapt to this new environment.

The past couple years, yes they have. However; lately, as in the past couple months, I have noticed a shift in the other direction. People are getting fed up with them. I see it in the news, in the media, online, I've seen it at the university and I've seen it at work. The last season of South Park is an indicator as they focus on current issues. Another example is the emerging popularity of academics like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris. This SJW mentality started off as a "noble" movement where they would preach tolerance and other good things. Don't get me wrong, they're nice things. There is an obstacle though... not everyone is the same and not everyone has the same beliefs or values. And that's something they don't get, or don't want to understand. I'll use myself as an example; I have messed up feelings about transgenders. I don't hate them or wish any harm upon them. I don't have anything against them, and I wouldn't treat them any better or worse than someone who isn't. I've been in a situation where I voiced it very similarly and I was swarmed by these young people and berated because I did not think the way that they did. So we've seen where if someone doesn't agree with a SJW or have different beliefs, they are bullied. On the other hand, I was in another situation and asked a colleague, from Saudi Arabia, if they believe that Sharia Law should be in effect here (Canada). That colleague said 'yes' and the people that berated me earlier said nothing. The problem is the way that certain people are criticized for their opinions and beliefs, but not others. We may need to elaborate more on our opinions but that doesn't mean we are forced to change them (they change all the time anyway as we grow). Sorry for the rant, but I am a strong believer of free speech and I don't think anyone should feel oppressed for speaking their mind. There are extreme cases, I would argue, that are exceptions like people who deny that the Holocaust occurred, but almost everyone will make it evident that those types of comments are unacceptable.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

@SOedipus: I'm waiting for the SJW movement to attack itself. It's bound to happen soon :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#107 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59274 Posts

@lamprey263: It certainly virulent.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@still_vicious: Oh yeah, airshocker. That was a dark time when airshocker, a major contributor and a long standing member, got banned from GS when GS is already a ghost town. Sure, he is not immune to ban, but, I just don't see how he is ban worthy. Never remember him pissing me off. And somehow papa Korvus got involved in the follow up thread. And while he is still working and just too busy with his baby, but, ultimately we lost two big contributors in one week. Sad indeed.

Man everyone always thinks one user makes a site. They don't. GS banned more prominent members when it was stricter and the site didn't slow down. This site is slower due to the change in internet culture. Anyway AS wasn't banned for one comment but his history. I imagine if he was anti whatever issue is important to you then you wouldn't complain. He also only posted a year or two in OT. Not really a longstanding member.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Still_Vicious

@horgen said:

@SOedipus: I'm waiting for the SJW movement to attack itself. It's bound to happen soon :P

They've already turned on gay males, kicking them out of their organizations because they aren't oppressed enough.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Still_Vicious

@MrGeezer: I don't buy it. At one point you were allowed to outright insult gay people.

Now you can't even talk about trans-gendered people.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@still_vicious said:

@MrGeezer: I don't buy it. At one point you were allowed to outright insult gay people.

Can a moderator confirm that we aren't allowed to talk about transgendered people?

That doesn't even fit the narrative that the people running the website just want to push the pro-LBGT agenda. How is anyone supposed to be able to recruit others to the "SJW" cause if the entire topic is off-limits to discussion?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#114 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts
@MrGeezer said:
@still_vicious said:

Can a moderator confirm that we aren't allowed to talk about transgendered people?

That doesn't even fit the narrative that the people running the website just want to push the pro-LBGT agenda. How is anyone supposed to be able to recruit others to the "SJW" cause if the entire topic is off-limits to discussion?

It would rather be how you talk about them. I can't see any reason why transgendered people as a topic should be banned from begin discussed.

But then as a Norwegian it takes time before I learn why some things are considered racists and/or rude in US and shouldn't be mentioned.

@still_vicious said:
@horgen said:

They've already turned on gay males, kicking them out of their organizations because they aren't oppressed enough.

Oh that's right. Forgot about that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

ok