Wal-Mart is closing 269 of its stores worldwide

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

The good news: All Wal-Mart stores in Connecticut except its "Neighborhood Market" in West Hartford are still open!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-west-hartford-walmart-express-closings-0116-20160115-story.html

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

SUCK IT WALLY WORLD!!!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Sucks for all of those who will lose their job

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

How could it be good news that a lot of people lose their job?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56361 Posts

I truly can't stand going into Walmart. Full of disengaged employees and incompetent managements but still, sucks for the employees that will lose there jobs and it's still hard to find a job around here.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

Why are you guys celebrating loss of jobs?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

****, sucks for those losing their jobs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44486 Posts

Well that's very unfortunate, especially for those losing their jobs.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

When one of the cheapest companies in the world has to close HUNDREDS of stores, that is very bad news for the economy.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18816 Posts

I hope they arent closing the one by me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I think i got that many Wal-Marts in my county alone. Matter of fact, ive never even heard of one of these Wal-Mart stores.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Sorry to see people losing their jobs. The vast majority of the closings are located at the southeast 1/4 of the US. None here in Arizona where there's three Walmart Supercenters within 20 minutes of my house.

http://qz.com/595877/heres-a-list-and-map-of-all-the-walmart-store-closings-in-the-us/

The Wal-Marts here are quite nice. The employees actually care about their service and first impressions. Orderly and clean.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

The fall of Walmart. I saw a really nice Target with all neccesities in a compact department.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

A shame since hundreds of workers will lose their jobs. That said, capitalism doesn't always favor the big dogs, even if they're offering better prices and especially if their reputation is questionable whether if its deserved or undeserved.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheWalkingGhost

@foxhound_fox: No it's not. The economy is just changing, lots if stores are being killed by online stores. Thank Amazon for that, and Wal Mart having too many stores, well beyond a reasonable amount.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

And that is why we were begging the fed not to raise interest rates. The economy was already teetering on deflation, and this insignificant , symbolic rise only sped up the process. Unlikely we're avoiding a recession before Obama leaves office.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Wal-mart has stores worldwide?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

If anyone cares, here's a list of the Wal-Mart stores that's supposed to be closing in the US:

http://qz.com/595877/heres-a-list-and-map-of-all-the-walmart-store-closings-in-the-us/

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They said because of e-commerce and increased wages.

I say because QE3 ended and the Fed raised rates. Now all the businesses are in panic mode. Businesses are left suffering with junk bonds, the super bubble of the bond market is going to implode if it continues.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheWalkingGhost

@joehult: Do you know what deflation is? Rate hikes are done to prevent that.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

The whole house of cards is about to fall.

Don't believe it? Well you'll believe it next winter ... while you're using a hatchet to chop down the second-to-last room of your home for firewood.

And you'll definitely believe it in the winter of 2017 ... while you're using the same hatchet to chop up your children for food!

:-P

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheWalkingGhost

@Stesilaus: A late xmas present would you being banned. Hate to break it to you, but the usa is and will forever be stronger than Russia. Russia will fall again years before the usa does.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gaming-Planet
@Stesilaus said:

The whole house of cards is about to fall.

Don't believe it? Well you'll believe it next winter ... while you're using a hatchet to chop down the second-to-last room of your home for firewood.

And you'll definitely believe it in the winter of 2017 ... while you're using the same hatchet to chop up your children for food!

:-P

I saw the data of wholesales, retail, industrial production, financial stocks, bonds, auto, etc... they're all losing air since they ended QE3 and tanked when they raised rates. People are still in denial though. The subprime auto industry is gonna burst and crash.

Loading Video...

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

I saw the data of wholesales, retail, industrial production, financial stocks, bonds, auto, etc... they're all losing air since they ended QE3 and tanked when they raised rates. People are still in denial though. The subprime auto industry is gonna burst and crash.

Loading Video...

Mainstream media, like CNBC, are finally admitting what the free, independent press has been warning of for years because the signs of imminent collapse can no longer be denied.

In his essay, The Chart That Explains Everything, essayist Mike Whitney reveals the insidious policy that has inflated the stock market at the expense of the real economy and reaches an appalling conclusion: The blame lies not only with Wall St and the Fed, but also with Congress and the Obama administration.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Worldwide? They have more outside NA?

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost: rate hikes control inflation. Rate decreases, along with printing money, are Hail Mary attempts to avoid deflation. Deflation always results in recessions, and usually depressions back during the gold standard years. With fiat currency, the central banks would have to engage in all out currency terrorism to send a country into a depression.

The world economy is right now stuck in stagflation mode. Every central bank is artificially lowering the value of their currency to stave off deflation, and our brain dead fed reserve thought it was time to do a symbolic rate hike, to both prove the US economy is strong, and the fed is still in control. Unfortunately it was a bad decision, our dollar immediately strengthened, taking out China, and now the Fed has a deflation crisis on their hands. Stronger dollar, usually means cheaper imports and fewer exports. So it won't take long for American manufacturers, the few we have left anyways, to start feeling the crunch and start laying off.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

It seems worth noting that a huge part of these stores that are being closed are smaller scale stores essentially designed to compete with food stores slightly larger than gas stations or in some cases actual gas stations. It was an experiment that they started 4-5 years ago (which are things many businesses do to see if they can increase profits) that didn't pan out.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Too bad for the people loosing their job but it´s not like they are closing those Super Centers. Here in Mexico Walmart super centers have fierce competition from other companies, just for you to have an idea in my hometown there are:

4 Walmart Supercenters

4 Chedraui Supercenters

3 Sorianas

1 HEB ( which should count as a Soriana since it´s parent company is Soriana )

2 Comercial Mexicana

2 Mega Comercial Mexicana

3 Casa Ley

2 Costco

2 Sam´s

All of them huge, in order to compete more Walmart has a partner company in Mexico called Aurrera, in my hometown there are 3 Bodega Aurrera, and multiple mini Bodega Aurrera ( I know 5 of them ) which are mini super markets ( pretty much 3X the size of a 7 Eleven or something like that ), that kind of stores are the ones Walmart is closing like Serraph mentioned. So it´s not the "demise" of Walmart.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#32 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

When one of the cheapest companies in the world has to close HUNDREDS of stores, that is very bad news for the economy.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And Puerto Rico losing seven of their stores? That's a huge blow to them.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

It seems worth noting that a huge part of these stores that are being closed are smaller scale stores essentially designed to compete with food stores slightly larger than gas stations (or in some cases actual gas stations. It was an experiment that they started 4-5 years ago (which are things many businesses do to see if they can increase profits) that didn't pan out.

That's true. The Wal-Mart grocery stores aren't closing where I am. There's two of those plus three Wal-Mart supercenters within 30 minutes of my house. It's surprising because the supercenters are like a Target and a supermarket combined. The smaller stores seem redundant to me.

Maybe not. It looks like the Wal-Mart grocery stores are by the apartment sections of town (within walking distance) while the supercenters are by the residential/subdivision areas.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And Puerto Rico losing seven of their stores? That's a huge blow to them.

Again, many of these stores are smaller stores designed to compete with convenience stores which sell things at higher prices than your average Walmart.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

They are small if you consider supermarkets small. In our economy we can't afford to have any jobs lost.

Our governor.
Our governor.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

This can be good news for small local stores.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheWalkingGhost

@JustPlainLucas: Again, no. Wal Mart is getting killed by online stores and they have too many stores, only a matter of time no matter the economy. Stop with the sky is falling crap. Wal mart said most would be transferred anyway.

pacific90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pacific90
Member since 2010 • 848 Posts

Online shopping, long crowded lines, and increasing min wage and rent prices in congested markets I think are putting the pressure on Wal-Mart.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@Dogswithguns said:
@MonsieurX said:

This can be good news for small local stores.

Considering Walmart was the main reason why small local stores went out of business, yes definitely.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gaming-Planet

@Stesilaus said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Loading Video...

Mainstream media, like CNBC, are finally admitting what the free, independent press has been warning of for years because the signs of imminent collapse can no longer be denied.

In his essay, The Chart That Explains Everything, essayist Mike Whitney reveals the insidious policy that has inflated the stock market at the expense of the real economy and reaches an appalling conclusion: The blame lies not only with Wall St and the Fed, but also with Congress and the Obama administration.

That's a good essay. Thanks for sharing.

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TrustyGamer
Member since 2015 • 233 Posts

@MonsieurX: The people being alienated and treated like slave labour will now hopefully realise that they are worth much more as this corrupt company begins to collapse.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

@trustygamer said:

@MonsieurX: The people being alienated and treated like slave labour will now hopefully realise that they are worth much more as this corrupt company begins to collapse.

I have a really hard time feeling sorry for such a horrible company. Throughout my childhood I watched this behemoth company literally destroy 90% of the small business in my home town. They deserve to go down in flames even knowing how badly we need sustainable quality jobs, Walmart is not the answer.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

If anyone cares, here's a list of the Wal-Mart stores that's supposed to be closing in the US:

None in my homestate. Hmm...

Anyway, sucks for those who lose their jobs, but I have been narrowing my Wal-Mart trips more and more. I go to a local owned grocer called Harmons and I mostly get games from online and occasionally, I go to a local shop called Greywhale.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#44 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

Worldwide? They have more outside NA?

In the UK, ASDA is owned by Wal-Mart.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Sad news. We're going in hell!

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@doozie78: Sounds like you are railing against the American way. Don't blame Wal Mart. Businesses are encouraged to do what they have done. Blame the system.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@angeldeb82 said:

The good news: All Wal-Mart stores in Connecticut except its "Neighborhood Market" in West Hartford are still open!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-west-hartford-walmart-express-closings-0116-20160115-story.html

The one across the bay here from SF is closing in Oakland. 400 jobs down the drain. Oakland is already the murder capitol of the entire US. and lots of lots of crime. This can only make it worse. I can't imagine whats going to happen ?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
@jdiggle said:
@kaealy said:

How could it be good news that a lot of people lose their job?

I don't see any body celebrating that these stores are closing. Maybe there were some posts that did that, which you guys saw, but were deleted before I saw this thread.

@TheWalkingGhost said:

SUCK IT WALLY WORLD!!!