Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/venom-2018/critic-reviews

Yeah... I really didn't have any expectations for it. I'll still end up getting it on Blu-Ray, because I have a compulsion to buy all superhero movies. Yes, I'm part of the problem... :(

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

I really don't trust most reviews when it comes to comic book movies.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

Was anyone really expecting this NOT to be a hot mess? I'll watch it, but I'll wait for it to primere on FX. Why Sony is promoting this so hard over the animated Spider-Man movie is beyond me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Not surprised at all tbh.

Guess this is the first bad Marvel movie in a few years.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Telling fans the Venom movie is gonna be stand alone and not set anytime in the MCU is not going to do it any favors, few of Venom fans are actually skeptical in a Venom without Spider-Man, ironically much like the suit needing a host, the two characters need each other to make for a well more successful story, this seems like a major oversight and blunder once again in an industry that doesn't understand what makes Venom great, it's not the suit or what it can do, it's how he's played next to Spider-Man.

The movie reviewer I usually follow said they went in with low expectations and had fun. They said the character & tone is quite true to some of Venom's roots in a way that gives things a strange 90's feel and errs on dark & absurdist humor in a way they suggested some of the critics seemed to reject. (ergo you're supposed to laugh with the movie, and critics may have been giving it a hard time) But the way I see it, it's like watching "The Darkness" comic/video games in a way that works for Venom.

I should point out I sometimes disagree with this reviewers takes or impressions of movies, but they said enough to persuade me to see the Venom movie as I'd planned. I'll let you know how it is this Friday night when I return from theaters.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

This honestly seemed like a 50/50, was it going to be a complete and utter mess or was Sony going to defy expectations by taking a lesser-known character with a cult following and turning him into a cult sensation à la Deadpool. Obviously, the former.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@mrbojangles25: to be fair, this is a Sony movie.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I really don't trust most reviews when it comes to comic book movies.

Same........

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

When even Tom Hardy says that they cut the best bits out, you know it's bad.
Sad thing is it will do well at the box office.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Just came back from the theater. It was mediocre but still had fun with it. Didn't go in with any high expectations.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@hallenbeck77 said:

Was anyone really expecting this NOT to be a hot mess? I'll watch it, but I'll wait for it to primere on FX. Why Sony is promoting this so hard over the animated Spider-Man movie is beyond me.

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but neither movie looks good.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Well have just been to see it tonight, and I enjoyed it. Perhaps mostly because I'm a big Tom Hardy fan, but certainly not the worst Marvel film I've ever seen.

On another note, the upcoming Unbreakable sequel Glass looks incredible! Didn't even know this was a thing until the preview was shown before Venom.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

The animated movie looks like garbage. The whole Spider-verse thing is the worst thing to Happen to Spider-Man since One More day. I'll watch it when it comes to one of the streaming services just to see Spider-Ham as I liked his comics back in the 80's.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Thought the film was great the time flew by, venom looks and sounds awesome action was good and it had its funny moments.

Miserable sods who complain about it lighten up

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts
@heathen75 said:
@crimsonbrute said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

The animated movie looks like garbage. The whole Spider-verse thing is the worst thing to Happen to Spider-Man since One More day. I'll watch it when it comes to one of the streaming services just to see Spider-Ham as I liked his comics back in the 80's.

I'm looking forward to it because the mixture of animation styles looks so different than what's come out in a long time. A lot of animated movies that's come out with the last ten years or so look like clones of each other with the overuse of CG animation. But that just my opinion--I'd rather watch that than sit through another CG style sequel. (Looking at you, Wreck-it Ralph).

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

You shouldn't take professional movie critic reviews so seriously. Critics judge things like acting, writing, cinematography, directing, sound, etc. When you watch Venom, you might enjoy it very much. The average person isn't a professional movie critic, average people watch movies for fun. There are many movies I like, and most of them probably wouldn't score too highly by a professional critic.

Watch movies you think you'll enjoy. Critic reviews don't have nothing to do with rather you'll enjoy a movie.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Kinda looked shit from the trailers, but Tom hardy's great.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@JustPlainLucas:

I'll still watch it and I bet most people's gripes would be almost non-existent.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I watched it.

It was a good movie and I will watch it again. Venom is awesome. They nailed the look, humour, voice etc. Tom Hardy is a huge plus.

The movie is much better than critics claim. The critics are wrong.

No this movie is not as amazing as Winter Soldier, Logan or Infinity War, but it is a GOOD movie. It’s not “bad”.

It’s a solid introduction to Venom and I look forward to the sequels.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Probably about time Sony just gives up on trying to make use of the Marvel licenses, they can't seem to do anything good with them.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

If the same movie was released under the Marvel Studios name, critics would praise it by calling it a fun movie not meant to be taken seriously.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Pass

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@qx0d said:

You shouldn't take professional movie critic reviews so seriously. Critics judge things like acting, writing, cinematography, directing, sound, etc. When you watch Venom, you might enjoy it very much. The average person isn't a professional movie critic, average people watch movies for fun. There are many movies I like, and most of them probably wouldn't score too highly by a professional critic.

Watch movies you think you'll enjoy. Critic reviews don't have nothing to do with rather you'll enjoy a movie.

While I don't think that people should take professional critic reviews too seriously, I don't see how that's unique to the opinion of professional critics. Hell, even if we're talking about just good old fashioned word of mouth from a friend, lots of my friends are idiots (well, maybe not IDIOTS, but we certainly disagree on a lot of things). And when they're not even able to comment on things such as acting/writing/cinematography/etc, it's not as if their film illiteracy somehow makes their input more valuable.

That's sort of beside the point though, because most people (I'm talking non-critics) are able to judge things like acting, writing, cinematography, and the other things you've mentioned. Those are the kinds of things that tend to get brought up during casual discussions about movies, so I fail to see how professional critics judging those things somehow means they're coming at the movie from a different angle than the casual viewer.

I also hate the saying, "watch what you'll enjoy". Mostly because how the heck is anyone supposed to know that they'll enjoy it until after they watch it?

Anyway, staying on topic, this movie looked like crap to me from the trailers. And the idea of a stand-alone Venom movie (particularly a stand-alone ORIGIN movie) that has nothing to do with Spider-Man just always struck me as a really bad idea. If they really wanted to do a stand-alone Venom movie, then they should have waited until he's actually had ONE good appearance in an actual Spider Man movie.